• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

gotta work on court manners, I worked on them, but obviously not enough

I like how even small differences in skills and choices make so many differences in events.
I like how layered a lot of events are. Maybe you fail to make this check, but you can still survive if you make this, this, this, and this check but only if you didn't piss off this person at this point in time.

Or how, like, that war you keep mentioning? Doesn't even have to happen.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
An hour until my Happy Horror Holiday giveaway is up. Really curious to see who wins and how many entrants we'll have, but very happy myself to spread some horrific joy~

ModBot said:
[Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 21 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Alone in the Dark 5 -- MB-CC4DB3157AC557A1 - Taken by Anustart. 82 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Resident Evil Revelations -- MB-556C291ACA777296 - Taken by C00kie M0nster. 254 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Resident Evil 6 -- MB-9F32FE086DB0B43D - Taken by Santiako. 232 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Slender The Arrival -- MB-E0478057FA525AA5 - Taken by adriano999. 64 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Cold Fear -- MB-1F8A969EAC205B5A - Taken by faceless007. 58 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Contagion -- MB-1195067D8E9A2FB5 - Taken by Gen.Grievous. 58 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Outlast -- MB-28CDCF6834924FC2 - Taken by Terra_Ex. 151 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Montagues Mount -- MB-090423D435F6E880 - Taken by Cydonian__Knight. 38 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army -- MB-6FA4BC5E3F1B0FF4 - Taken by Pestilence11. 36 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Dementium II HD -- MB-D0F3FF3C2883523E - Taken by Threads. 58 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Shattered Haven -- MB-51B8ED8E2DF82CC0 - Taken by maneil99. 14 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Deadly Premonition Directors Cut -- MB-68971ADCE5C11FD2 - Taken by Honey Bunny. 253 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth -- MB-D3D6E358BB218E0F - Taken by FauX. 68 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Clive Barkers Jericho -- MB-2C85966ABB6A8A13 - Taken by Shrike Alvaron. 17 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

How to Survive -- MB-BCBC402424139868 - Taken by Aitor. 52 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

King of Fighters XIII -- MB-DAE38D2801DC4A1D - Taken by Volotaire. 202 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Long Live the Queen -- MB-F31EC9CD9E652DE7 - Taken by user237. 147 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Alone in the Dark New Nightmare -- MB-BD6C635442DDABA1 - Taken by angular graphics. 37 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Blood of the Werewolf -- MB-5C0876AD8D0D6897 - Taken by Emerson. 36 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Teleglitch Die More Edition -- MB-A47A57C40EF55A16 - Taken by Kapow. 69 entrants total.

header_292x136.jpg

Anna Extended Edition -- MB-3125E13C7A8D8C64 - Taken by Dascu. 35 entrants total.

t1388110392z1.png

Shurayuki

^ Oh final stretch, you're so nice Dusk Golem, great giveaway. Enter for the Queen GAF ;D ♥

Just noticed that none of achievements of my second playthrough of Queen registered, I wonder is it steam trying to die, or achievements are glitched?

Yeah my steam achievements seem fucked too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How I Live Now is a sort of strange little movie. It's extremely well shot with a lot of sequences that I think probably do well at representing the strange suddenness of violence during wartime. Also the director and cinematographer clearly have very vivid visual imaginations as the fantasy scenes are genuinely unsettling. Daisy's OCD (or whatever mental health issues--obviously some self esteem issues, I'm told in the book her character is explicitly anorexic) is pretty well done.

But I can't help but feel like quite a bit was lost in adapting it from a novel as some of the central character beats don't seem to develop as well as they should. In addition, Saoirise seems to have a hard time doing an American accent because all of her lines are delivered in sort of My Fair Lady-esque over-enunciated strain that really takes away from her delivery. I am surprised that she got quite as much critical praise for this as she did. She's obviously a talented actress but I feel like this just didn't execute.

I wish the film took more time to develop its politics and a little less time in the meandering third act and YA love story sequences.

I'd give it sort of a 2.5 star or so on the traditional 4 star film scale, either a very mild recommendation or a very mild vote against the film.

An hour until my Happy Horror Holiday giveaway is up. Really curious to see who wins and how many entrants we'll have, but very happy myself to spread some horrific joy~

Just FYI, I think ModBot will probably attach itself to one of the earlier postings of the giveaway because of how the 24 hour giveaway edits work. I'll try a manual override to make it attach to this one.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
How is Endless space?

I couldn't get into it. Majority of the time I couldn't tell what was going on since its dark.

Edit- I know that sounds silly since space is dark. But it felt like a chore trying to figure out where my units were, and what exactly those units were.

The_Monk

You're amazing, and it's also amazing that you managed to beat that game. I gave up twice, and the last time was probably for good.

I just suck at it.

Fellow GAFfer legacyzero was also stuck! He has given up hope, but where he lost hope I saw a distant light from a Bonfire, I talked to him yesterday and he managed to leave his current location, going to the right part and made some progress! All he needed was a little orientation. legacy, if you are reading this I'm proud of you, such BRAVE SOUL!

Rionaa, you can do it too, if you want! :D

Coreda

You have to be kidding me. Steam actually doesn't count offline playtime? I just completed a game offline and now I can't review it. Gah.

Demon Ice

Banned
Far Cry 3 should run better in DX9 compared to DX11, right?
I swear, can't get a decent framerate out of this game.

No I'm pretty sure in FC3 the DX11 renderer runs faster at the same settings vs DX9.

Set the post process quality to low for a big FPS boost with no loss in visual quality.

Also I picked up Dark Souls on sale after hearing about it forever, and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. It's pretty hilarious. DSFix is a lifesaver though, can't believe the game shipped with a locked internal resolution.

legacyzero

Banned
Fellow GAFfer legacyzero was also stuck! He has given up hope, but where he lost hope I saw a distant light from a Bonfire, I talked to him yesterday and he managed to leave his current location, going to the right part and made some progress! All he needed was a little orientation. legacy, if you are reading this I'm proud of you, such BRAVE SOUL!

Rionaa, you can do it too, if you want! :D

Yep! Finally got some direction. It sucks to put the game down for about 3 months, and then get lost when you finally pick it back up again!

Thanks Monk!

You only currently suck. It's a game you get better the more you play.

You've gotta adapt to the situations the enemies put you in.

Yes.

You learn real quick not to underestimate something, and look before you leap.

Arthea

Psh spoilers, others might not know not to
eat the chocolate
(if they get the choice, I didn't the first time)^^
Was my first death, it goes well with this being the christmas time I guess. And queendom seemed so close after winning the war..

Leading princesses into their death has never felt this good. Buy Long Live the Queen for 5$y'all. (Make it a flash at least Lord Gabe)
This should be slogan of this game (><)
ya, sorry about spoiler

I like how layered a lot of events are. Maybe you fail to make this check, but you can still survive if you make this, this, this, and this check but only if you didn't piss off this person at this point in time.

Or how, like, that war you keep mentioning? Doesn't even have to happen.

Indeed they are, we have what? 2-3 safeguards on every event?
and still fail all most of the time!
You mean by accepting marriage? NO WAY! she's 15, for Odin's sake (><)

neoemonk

My initial impression of Papers Please is that success is a matter of speed. Perhaps as I play more that won't be as much of a factor, but I was only be able to get through seven to eight people a day on my first game.

It maybe didn't help that I was playing on my laptop and using the trackpad as my mouse. I'll play it on my proper PC soon enough.

I got more pc game this year then i ever had before. I can only play them in 600p with 30 fps but i like them so far. The only issue is the controller compatibility.

KPJZKC

Just picked up Long Live the Queen based on some of the comments in this thread.

Also, Anno 2070 really is a great game and the DRM is at least tolerable (picked it up at release, still play it occasionally).

PBalfredo

Dusk Golem's (very generous) giveaway reminds me to ask, what is the recommended way to first experience Deadly Premonition, playing it or watching the Giant Bomb endurance run?

Xisiqomelir

I got KOF and L4D2 yesterday after multiple reloads. Also, I dunno if people missed it, but dropping community votes gets you snowglobes too.

KPJZKC

How is Endless space?

Endless Space is really not the best game of it's genre to be honest - technically it's a fine game, but it just lacks that spark/pull that makes you sit there until 5am in the morning saying "One more turn..." that something like Sword of the Stars (one, obviously) has.

Link Man

Banned
I tried the demo on the developer's site with my wired 360 pad and it just asked me to set my buttons upon first start and then worked fine since.

The game seems pretty good mechanically. The writing and humor, however, has been a bit of a turn off. I think I'm still on the fence with this one.

Also, does anyone know if if Dustforce works fine with a controller? I read conflicting reports about controller support in that game. Thinking of picking it up on humble since it seems like it may not get a steam sale, but the price isn't at my insta-buy level if it has issues.

Yeah, just tried the demo on the developer's site, and it worked fine. Must be something with the Desura demo.

Think I might get the game, it seems fun.

Err, maybe at a later date, actually.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Dusk Golem's (very generous) giveaway reminds me to ask, what is the recommended way to first experience Deadly Premonition, playing it or watching the Giant Bomb endurance run?

I would say play it first if you plan on doing both. Whether you like the game or not, you can have a lot of fun watching the Endurance Run afterwards.

So marksel just finished Dustforce BLINDFOLDED in less than 5 hours... that's really fucking impressive.

I saw that linked before it started, had it on in the background while I was working. Took a look a few times and he had gotten lost in level select at one point. Pretty ridiculous that he was able to finish the game, he said he hadn't even practiced blindfolded.

Dusk Golem

How I Live Now is a sort of strange little movie. It's extremely well shot with a lot of sequences that I think probably do well at representing the strange suddenness of violence during wartime. Also the director and cinematographer clearly have very vivid visual imaginations as the fantasy scenes are genuinely unsettling. Daisy's OCD (or whatever mental health issues--obviously some self esteem issues, I'm told in the book her character is explicitly anorexic) is pretty well done.

But I can't help but feel like quite a bit was lost in adapting it from a novel as some of the central character beats don't seem to develop as well as they should. In addition, Saoirise seems to have a hard time doing an American accent because all of her lines are delivered in sort of My Fair Lady-esque over-enunciated strain that really takes away from her delivery. I am surprised that she got quite as much critical praise for this as she did. She's obviously a talented actress but I feel like this just didn't execute.

I wish the film took more time to develop its politics and a little less time in the meandering third act and YA love story sequences.

I'd give it sort of a 2.5 star or so on the traditional 4 star film scale, either a very mild recommendation or a very mild vote against the film.

Just FYI, I think ModBot will probably attach itself to one of the earlier postings of the giveaway because of how the 24 hour giveaway edits work. I'll try a manual override to make it attach to this one.
Thanks for the mention, I'll link to which one it overrides when it's near to completion.

nacimento

Just picked up Long Live the Queen based on some of the comments in this thread.

Also, Anno 2070 really is a great game and the DRM is at least tolerable (picked it up at release, still play it occasionally).

Anno 2070 is really terrific. Like all Annos are. That reminds me that Ubisoft should announce a new Anno or Settlers...

Why would you do that?
Dusk is just reminding people to enter, not trying to override the current one, right?

So what happens to my (and everyone else's) entry if you manually override?

vg260

I'm gonna be bummed when this sale is over. These threads are super fun even if I don't pick up many new games.

I'd never seen Blood of the Werewolf before, but it looks interesting to me. Anyone here play it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Here's what I thought of the film (I neglected to the mention the soundtrack at the time but I briefly addressed it later after a bit of a listen). Also, fun fact: One of the blokes Daisy shoots towards the end of the film is actually Saoirse's dad.

Dusk Golem

Why would you do that?
Dusk is just reminding people to enter, not trying to override the current one, right?

So what happens to my (and everyone else's) entry if you manually override?
Would still be entered, would just update that post as opposed to the first one.

Shurayuki

This should be slogan of this game (><)
ya, sorry about spoiler

Indeed they are, we have what? 2-3 safeguards on every event?
and still fail all most of the time!
You mean by accepting marriage? NO WAY! she's 15, for Odin's sake (><)

Yeah I refuse
to marry
, but since there's achievements/story I'll get to it eventually.

Speaking of them, the Hire a Spy and the ones for dying don't seem to register on steam for me.

Also too bad the dark sketch background which looks kinda neat is so expensive (3.60€). Lucky fella who grabbed it for 37cent yesterday (!!!), mistyped price?

(/^o^)/ Hope you enjoy it. It's the Dark Souls of Princess Maker games :lol: (it's not actually hard, but you do die a lot)

I'm actually really glad that my backlog is as large as it is. It means if I'm feeling bored, I can fire up a game I've never played before and play it for a while. And I could do that at least once a day, every day, for the next few years.

exactly
when you think about it well never be bored waiting for PS4/WiiU games

feel

Dusk Golem said:
350662-big_boss_salutszfl1.jpg

Some of these will be in the hundreds of entries, winners will be some lucky mofos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom