• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What are the differences between the free version of Spelunky and the Steam version?

Complete control, graphics and sound overall, 8 extra levels, daily challenge where everybody plays the same level seed and sees their high scores compared, and a few minor changes.

edit: Also, local multiplayer modes.

You loved the first 10 or so minutes of forced tutorials? Really?

Granted, they did a rather funny spin on the whole tutorial thing, but still.

Anyway, the 80's jokes never got tiring for me. The game really isn't so much about references but rather getting across a joking 80's b-movie feel.

I take that back. I loved the first 10 minutes after the tutorial I suppose. I remember there was a dragon or some shit. But then it got tiring.

Raxus

An hour until my Happy Horror Holiday giveaway is up. Really curious to see who wins and how many entrants we'll have, but very happy myself to spread some horrific joy~

God damn RE6 and RE: Revelations had 200+ entries each. I never stood a chance.

Miker

Between Blood Dragon and Gunslinger, I vastly preferred Gunslinger.

Blood Dragon's weakness, if you ask me, is that it's a Far Cry 3 total conversion. Not that I've played Far Cry 3 or anything (I know, I know), but I mean that the shooting mechanics aren't fantastic, and the rest of the game doesn't make up for it. The outside/outpost missions were fun, but not compelling enough for me to want to take more outposts. The indoor or scripted missions were enjoyable enough, but the cyber-soldiers were kind of boring enemies to mow down.

The whole '80s shtick is, to its credit, consistently gung-ho, but it starts off on the wrong foot with an obnoxious parody of annoying tutorials that is actually an annoying tutorial. Its charm wore off pretty quickly for me - imagine the trailer, but stretched out across a 5-hour game. If that sounds awesome to you, then you'll probably love the humor. Also, be sure to play it for at least an hour or so in your first sitting because it doesn't save until you're done with a mission, and the first mission is kinda long.

Gunslinger, on the other hand is a much breezier and less "lol neon dinosaurs" arcade shooter with really satisfying shooting mechanics. I didn't care for the story, with its jumble of Wild West names, but it's well-paced, fun to play, and even the high-score shooting gallery mode is solid.

Did Steam break his most concurrent users again?

cAaYhfR.png

The_Monk

WHat do you mean? Is there a daily, flashy or comcy you want?

"The problem with the Steam sales is that they are almost too good." By budgeting I meant that there's still going to be a lot of dailies but much mores flash sales and I need to be wise on what I choose so I don't arrive dry on the last day/Encore day. I'm sure, many GAFfers are doing the same.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
He said. With a week to go ;)

Lol yes, yes, I know. But I'm a broke college student at the moment and $20 was my limit for this sale. Gunslinger/Blood Dragon would use up the last $8.50 I have in my wallet. Maybe since it is my bday tomorrow, I will treat myself to a $5 game. But I'm probably gonna use a bit of money to buy some games for raffles.

Call of Juarez is slightly tempting, might just get it or the bundle with blood dragon. I despise Far Cry 3's gameplay though.
Blood Dragon cuts the crap out of Far Cry 3, no crafting or pointless skill "progression". Though if you didn't like the gunplay in Far Cry 3, BD isn't for you.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Make sure to leave some impressions! todd gave some but it's always good to hear from more GAFfers. :)

I actually played this earlier today after picking it up when it was on sale for about $4-$5.

I played about 1 1/2 hours, and it was really fun. It's kind of a cross between Diablo and a twin-stick zombie shooter, which actually works pretty well. You're stranded on a deserted island that is infested with Zombies, and you have to learn How to Survive.

The game doesn't take itself too seriously, which for some people will be an obvious turn-off for a zombie game. I had a lot of fun unlocking new skills and using the crafting system to craft new weapons and items.

Overall I'd say it was well worth the price of admission. The only thing I can complain about is lack of inventory space. Managing your inventory can make crafting complex items burdensome, since some of the weapons take 5-6 items to craft, and you can only hold 24 (I think).

Anyway, I'd recommend it if you're a fan of either twin-stick zombie shooters, or action RPG games.

Miker

How long of a game is gone home. Also is it worth it?

2 hours, give or take. Worth it? Did you enjoy Dear Esther? And if so, how much did you buy it at, and did you think it was worth it? How about To The Moon? It's very much an interactive walking and examining simulator with a story to tell, and nothing more.

2 hours, give or take. Worth it? Did you enjoy Dear Esther? And if so, how much did you buy it at, and did you think it was worth it? How about To The Moon? It's very much an interactive walking and examining simulator with a story to tell, and nothing more.

I have both those games and have yet to play either lol. I blame dota

How long of a game is gone home. Also is it worth it?

It took me maybe an hour to finish Gone Home. I thought it was worth it. Had no idea what to expect going in. I thought the story was poignant and I was left thinking about it for quite a while after finishing it. But that being said, I personally would not likely go back and play again.

I had about written it off as someone had compared it to Dear Esther (another non-game), and I HATED that game. Absolutely despised it. But Gone Home actually did an amazing job telling a story.

Gazoinks

Gone Home could be enjoyed even if you don't like Dear Esther, though. It's less linear (sort of), and it's much humbler, if that makes sense. I really enjoyed it, and found it quite touching, but it's definitely not up everyone's alleys. Good use of interactive storytelling, but that's it. Kinda like Bioshock with no enemies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oh shit!

It looks quite nice on the right. Thank you, base Durante.

What is the gameplay like? The video on steam tells me nothing.

It's a game with a lot of rough edges but if you can push through them you get a real gem.

The big reason to play it is the atmosphere it creates and the story it tells. It creates a really interesting world that takes some turns you don't expect.

The gameplay ranges from nothing to right home about to outright bad.

But, that's not why you play Deadly Premonition.

If you want a game that plays really well first and foremost then avoid it because you will leave unhappy.

But, GAF is pushing everyone to vote for it for a reason. It is a really interesting game and worth playing - just not from a gameplay standpoint.

Also, this image they have set as the first one on their Steam page is hilariously awful.

ss_ca3b19c969f283be5c2aa2d805fc1d49e62d0cbd.1920x1080.jpg

For those curious, this is what the game looks like after using Durante's fix, compared to the previous image.

clipboard-1r6agt.jpg

The_Monk

I actually played this earlier today after picking it up when it was on sale for about $4-$5.

I played about 1 1/2 hours, and it was really fun. It's kind of a cross between Diablo and a twin-stick zombie shooter, which actually works pretty well. You're stranded on a deserted island that is infested with Zombies, and you have to learn How to Survive.

The game doesn't take itself too seriously, which for some people will be an obvious turn-off for a zombie game. I had a lot of fun unlocking new skills and using the crafting system to craft new weapons and items.

Overall I'd say it was well worth the price of admission. The only thing I can complain about is lack of inventory space. Managing your inventory can make crafting complex items burdensome, since some of the weapons take 5-6 items to craft, and you can only hold 24 (I think).

Anyway, I'd recommend it if you're a fan of either twin-stick zombie shooters, or action RPG games.

Thanks a lot for taking your time with this. It seems you are a fan of games similar to this one (I still have to play Van Helsing from the Backlog). I heard that there's a difficulty spike in the game later on, and that was the most negative aspect of it so far. Still, I believe it's worth a shot! :)

nah I played a demo and thought it was ok so I will wait for humble bundle, wait with me :)

Your gaming card has been revoked. I am being told I must confiscate it and destroy it. If you have any questions, please call 1-800-ASK-GABE.

5-6 hours for Gunslinger? Ehh....price is too high then

5-6 hours is short for an FPS?
What FPSes are you playing? Seems pretty standard to me...

If I don't get Spelunky at this price, I'm an asshole, right?

Asshole? No.
But it makes me question your taste in gaming and wondering what you think your $3.75 is better spent on. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom