• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miker

Gone Home could be enjoyed even if you don't like Dear Esther, though. It's less linear (sort of), and it's much humbler, if that makes sense. I really enjoyed it, and found it quite touching, but it's definitely not up everyone's alleys. Good use of interactive storytelling, but that's it. Kinda like Bioshock with no enemies.

That's true, I wasn't enamored with Dear Esther and enjoyed Gone Home. That said, I feel like someone's thoughts towards Dear Esther are usually a decent barometer of whether or not they'll like Gone Home, if only because some people will say "lol dear esther isn't a game i was bored 2 tears lol." Then I would tell them to stay the hell away from Gone Home.

inm8num2

Oh yes, my totals for the halfway point in the sale:

iZM2XwQJF0lOE.png

"Total saved?"

bd8.png

p.s. - google image search for "gaben laugh" brings up a very NSFW but hilarious image. The resemblance is uncanny.

Evo X

Fuck Deadly Premonition. It's a broken ass game, and we are just supporting shit PC ports by purchasing it.

Vote for Dream guys!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks a lot for taking your time with this. It seems you are a fan of games similar to this one (I still have to play Van Helsing from the Backlog). I heard that there's a difficulty spike in the game later on, and that was the most negative aspect of it so far. Still, I believe it's worth a shot! :)

No problem, I would indeed say this is my favorite genre of game. However, this is a lot less loot focused than most action RPGs (although it's still present).

Thanks for letting me know about the difficulty spike later on. I could see how that would be possible, since the crafting system seems very complex, and advancing in the game (at least from what I've played so far) seemed to rely heavily on being able to craft a better weapon as you progress.

Is there a reason that the Total War Grand Master Collection on Steam doesn't include Medieval 2 Kingdoms but the one on Green Man Gaming does? I bought the Medieval 2 Collection earlier this week from GMG thinking that if I bought the Grand Master Collection I would only have a duplicated of Medieval 2 Vanilla.

Big thanks to Dusk Golem for Dementium II HD. The first Dementium was one of my favorite DS titles but I never got around to this one so I'm really excited. Can't wait to play it and get my pants scared off!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Risen 2 Sacred 2, Saints Row 2, Saints Row The Third -- MB-0F2463569B6F7FE1 - Taken by grimmiq. 4 entrants total.
Metro 2033, Risen, Sacred Citadel -- MB-F24D35F699B41115 - Taken by ChaoticEko. 10 entrants total.

t1388112299z1.png
quick giveaway

Coldsun

Banned
Just pulled the trigger on the Gunslinger / BloodDragon combo. Need to figure out what else I should buy with the steam gift cards. Have another 80 or so I can spend.

Also picked up Gone Home.

rrs

A #10 and a #4 snowglobe, looking for anything not 3/4/6/10

I'm willing to 1:1 for any card in my inventory, send me an offer.

fuck dream, vote for ghost in the shell.

Now that's a game I'd play.

Fuck Deadly Premonition. It's a broken ass game, and we are just supporting shit PC ports by purchasing it.

Vote for Dream guys!

A broken port is better than no port, and an enhanced one at that.

How's TDU2?

There is no good way to make money end game, unsure if MP is still even up; and lots of roads to explore but most aren't touched by getting money, etc. It did a lot of cool things but so much was broken at the same time.

Is there any advantage to Spelunky on PC over XBLA?

It's not on XBLA.
And it has daily challenges.

Big thanks to Dusk Golem for Dementium II HD. The first Dementium was one of my favorite DS titles but I never got around to this one so I'm really excited. Can't wait to play it and get my pants scared off!

YOU! You won my Dementium! :p
Congratulations!

Call of Duty: Ghosts is $31.99 on GameFly using: GFDDEC20

That's not $20. >_<
Someone in here said they could get it for $20.
But I never caught where...

I'd rather vote for a shit port than all these pretentious indie art non-games.

Even though I'm sure this won't be a popular view, I have to admit that sometimes I feel this way too. I think there's a lot of bandwagon jumping when it comes to indies, although I'd rather they exist than didn't.

garath

Thinking about grabbing assassins creed black flag from Amazon but would rather get it from steam to use my wallet. I can't recall if it went on a daily sale yet. Anyone recall?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Soooo I voted for deadly premonition based on gaf. But what is so awesome about this game? I've never played the game or seen streams.

It's a game with a lot of rough edges but if you can push through them you get a real gem.

The big reason to play it is the atmosphere it creates and the story it tells. It creates a really interesting world that takes some turns you don't expect.

The gameplay ranges from nothing to right home about to outright bad.

But, that's not why you play Deadly Premonition.

If you want a game that plays really well first and foremost then avoid it because you will leave unhappy.

But, GAF is pushing everyone to vote for it for a reason. It is a really interesting game and worth playing - just not from a gameplay standpoint.

Also, this image they have set as the first one on their Steam page is hilariously awful.

ss_ca3b19c969f283be5c2aa2d805fc1d49e62d0cbd.1920x1080.jpg

For those curious, this is what the game looks like after using Durante's fix, compared to the previous image.

clipboard-1r6agt.jpg

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Soooo I voted for deadly premonition based on gaf. But what is so awesome about this game? I've never played the game or seen streams.

Pretty much my thoughts as well lol. But really, whenever there is a vote where I dont know the games, or dont care about them, I just vote for the popular one amongst gaf.

Sullichin

It's not so bad in House of the Dead mode. But trying to think of words for the writing segment is pretty hard to do while avoiding fire.

I haven't played the original or the HOTD mode in Typing, but I thought the mechanic for the last boss was pretty awesome even though the boss kinda sucked. I mostly just liked the text that popped up when you typed a matching word. JUSTIFIED!

The rest of this post is a recommendation for Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.
I got this on the last sale (or something, who can remember) and blazed through it in a few settings. I liked almost everything about the game. The dueling mechanic is a small blight on the game. It's just not fun. To a lesser extent, there's some forced slow-mo QTE-type segments that were also annoying. This mechanic is also remixed as a "last breath" thing where if you dodge an otherwise fatal bullet, you can save yourself. I dodged in the wrong direction like 80% of the time.

These complaints are minor though, and in at least some of the QTE-ish segments you can just shoot the guys if you're fast enough. And on the other hand some of those QTEs work really well and make you feel kinda badass when you headshot 4 guys with a few keystrokes.

The game is fairly short, but focused and does not overstay its welcome. There is no drawn out introduction of mechanics. There is a simple skill tree, but due to the length of the game you probably won't actually max out every skill by the end, which is a nice change from other games that implement similar systems. The base skills are just your proficiency with different gun types (revolver, rifle, shotgun), but the skills you unlock don't necessarily just improve that weapon - quicker score multipliers, stuff like that. Oh yeah, there's a combo system. The goal is (obviously) to kill people as quickly as possible, and higher multipliers net you more XP and fill up the focus meter (or whatever they call it) that lets you trigger bullet time. Not an incredibly innovative framework, but it's fun as hell. I had a blast (get it?!?!) strafing around duel wielding revolvers. There's ADS but it's not nearly as imperative that you use it as frequently as many popular FPSs these days. The gun selection is relatively small but it's not lacking. I didn't even unlock the later shotguns and rifles and I hadn't grown tired of the guns I could use.

The game is linear in the best way possible in that it doesn't even really bother with the pointless objectives common in FPS campaigns. It's just a pure shooter in that you don't really do much else but shoot stuff. There is ONE segment where you are disarming bombs, but it's set up in a way that it doesn't feel like padding, as you're not aimlessly looking for the bombs to disarm. It's very directed and it's part of the story.

Speaking of the story, I found the way it was told to be unique, although I wouldn't be surprised if other games have done this in the past. Your character is in a bar recounting his often hyperbolic-sounding stories from his life as a gunslinger to a wide-eyed (and sometimes skeptical) audience who sometimes chime in. It's entertaining but moreso it brilliantly excuses the linearity of the game as the gameplay acts as this reenactment.

After beating the game I reflected on my time with Metro: Last Light. I realized that it takes a lot for me to give a shit about a story in a shooter, and if the presentation isn't phenomenal, then at best it's something I don't pay attention to and at worst a detriment to my enjoyment. With Metro, it was starting to become a detriment. The story felt all at once too complex and too uninteresting for me to care. COJ's story is dead simple, and doesn't take you out of the action nearly as often or in such jarring ways (the silent, listening protagonist in Last Light kinda freaked me out). I'm not saying COJ's presentation is phenomenal, but it doesn't get in the way, and by virtue of its simplicity I couldn't help but understand it. I really like Last Light as well. I just prefer that COJ cuts the fat and focuses on what it does best.

Even though I'm sure this won't be a popular view, I have to admit that sometimes I feel this way too. I think there's a lot of bandwagon jumping when it comes to indies, although I'd rather they exist than didn't.

It's definitely not a popular view but I also agree. Gone Home isn't even a "game" though so I have no trouble saying I think it's crap. When you can put an entire playthrough of a game into a gif that "game" is not for me.

dxhc99

I probably haven't said it enough but thanks to everyone for all the awesome giveaways this past week. It's amazing to see such generosity and I just hope I can help with the very little i've done. This is the best community on GAF.

Guri

Have you ever seen Twin Peaks? DP has a lot of great characters and sub-plots, inspired by TP. The atmosphere and the city is great too! Gameplay-wise, it has a lot of flaws, as well as with its graphics, but if you can ignore that, you'll find a gem.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's definitely not a popular view but I also agree. Gone Home isn't even a "game" though so I have no trouble saying I think it's crap. When you can put an entire playthrough of a game into a gif that "game" is not for me.

There's a lot on bandwagon jumping on shitting on popular games (both indie and AAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom