• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altazor

Nah, Endless Space is a pure 4x Turn based game. You're probably thinking about Sins of a Solar Empire.

General opinion about Endless Space seems to be positive. I don't know how's the game though since I haven't played it. It's one of those games that I say "I'll buy it in the next sale" and I never buy it lol.

I bought Endless Space today, the Gold Edition. It was a good discount (I think it's normally over $20) and, while I don't actually play 4X games, it looked good and fun and seemed to have a decent amount of depth without being completely off-putting. Or that's just my impression, because I haven't played it yet and won't be able to play it for a while - I'm on a netbook and it can barely run Rogue Legacy, heh.

So maybe I just threw away $8 in something completely out of my depth. Or maybe not. Time will tell.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Every game I have bought from there has been, probably like 10 games.

Shit, you've got me worried. You mean I could have accidentally bought a non-steam game? Lol

You have to check the store page. GMG sells DRM free games, Steam codes, and games that require their proprietary client known as "Capsule".

grimmiq

I..I think I'm done. Unless something amazing pops up for a stupid price.

Resident Evil 5
Bioshock Infinite
Metal Gear Rising
FTL
Electronic Super Joy
FEZ
Hard Reset
Far Cry 3
Blade Symphony
Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures
Civ V: Gold
Nether
Machinarium
Rogue Legacy
Awesomenauts
Fable The Lost Chapters
Trine
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Shadowrun Returns
Brutal Legend
Ys I & II
Outlast
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
System Shock 2
Super Hexagon
Saints Row IV
Papers, Please
Guacamelee! Gold Edition
DmC
Spelunky

Plus a few gifts/DLC/Square-Enix Xmas Bundle.

Anustart

The Witcher 2 just keeps getting better and better. I'm getting more into the lore as the game goes on and I actually don't mind the fighting that much, even though it is a tad clunky.

You have to check the store page. GMG sells DRM free games, Steam codes, and games that require their proprietary client known as "Capsule".

Cool thanks. I might just get Road to Hill 30 then. I don't want to have to download the capsule client for the other 2.

denx

I bought Endless Space today, the Gold Edition. It was a good discount (I think it's normally over $20) and, while I don't actually play 4X games, it looked good and fun and seemed to have a decent amount of depth without being completely off-putting. Or that's just my impression, because I haven't played it yet and won't be able to play it for a while - I'm on a netbook and it can barely run Rogue Legacy, heh.

So maybe I just threw away $8 in something completely out of my depth. Or maybe not. Time will tell.

Have you played Civ 5? If you have, then getting the hang of Endless Space shouldn't be too hard.

If this is your first 4x though, then yeah, expect to have a bit of a learning curve in the beginning.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If a game doesn't say requires a steam account to activate it is NOT a steam key on GMG. The amount of people that miss this baffles me, including a real life friend of mine who then proceeded to say GMG was shit and he would never use it again after the witcher 2 he got there wasn't steam

Altazor

Have you played Civ 5? If you have, then getting the hang of Endless Space shouldn't be too hard.

If this is your first 4x though, then yeah, expect to have a bit of a learning curve in the beginning.

yeah, I've played a bit of Civ 5. I'm nowhere near decent, though, but I did have fun with it.

Caerith

So if I love Civ V/IV, know what I'm doing in those games, I'll like Galactic Civilizations II? May have to bite for $5......

Ok that sounds fucking awesome.
It is pretty awesome. I played a ton of it years ago before it came to Steam, and feel like I've had my fill, but no regrets on the time I did spend. It does the same thing Civ does at higher difficulties where the AI cheats (like, even before they meet you, they "just so happen" to be researching the right defense type for whatever weapon type you're using), and some of the random events are total bullshit ("half your planets rebel! with all your tech and planet-destroying warships!") (so turn those off), but it's otherwise a lot of fun. Ship-customization, being restricted on which planets you can colonize based on what techs you have (aquatic planets, toxic planets, etc), etc etc. You'll love it.

Is it that good?

Yes. The port has it's problems, but it's an unique Silent Hill meets Majoras Mask type of game, with tons of (INTERESTING!) stuff to do, best story, great soundtrack and overall fun gameplay.

If you like SH, MM or Twin Peaks at any rate, you should already own that game.

BraXzy

The Witcher 2 just keeps getting better and better. I'm getting more into the lore as the game goes on and I actually don't mind the fighting that much, even though it is a tad clunky.

I sooooo need to find time to play that. I keep meaning to but don't. I think I'm going to make it my game for christmas, I want to sink a lot of time into it without big gaps.

Altazor

DARK SOULS FINALLY!

GAF hyped me up for this game better not disappoint!

if you're patient with it, it won't. It's stellar - one of the best games I've played. The sense of accomplishment when you finally defeat that one boss that's been given you shit for ages... man, it's unparalleled.

A friendly word of advice from a noob-ish DS player: learn from dying, because you WILL die. Constantly. Dying is a natural part of the game design, and it's about making you learn from your mistakes so you can begin to understand how enemies behave. Don't be reckless. Keep your shield up. Prepare to Die.

EDIT: And yes, use DSFix (Praise the Sun for Durante!) and don't even think about playing with KB+M - it's designed to be played with a controller.

DiscoJer

I've been on the fence about that. I keep hearing mixed reviews. I keep hoping that will go on sale for 90% off, since I'm broke, for me, $8 is too much to just throw away like that.

Dusk Golem... Thank you. I'm kinda amazed I won a giveaway with over 200 people to be honest. I definitely plan on playing this. My girlfriend absolutely loves the RE series and she's been pestering me to get this one for a while.

Again, thanks man. You truly are a generous and kind soul. I hope you're having a great holiday and I hope it makes you happy that you genuinely made my day. :)

Hubb

I..I think I'm done. Unless something amazing pops up for a stupid price.

While your list is awesome and you have plenty of games to play, I see you are missing the other Ys games. No one will hold it against you if you buy them too.

For the people on the fence about Endless Space, I have two coupons for 50% off Endless Space and Endless Space Disharmony. Should net you about $5 for both. PM if interested.

Cth

Just under 2 hours remaining for Scribblenauts Unlimited giveaway.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94916800&postcount=7065

header_292x136.jpg

PatzCU

Just snagged Spelunky, very excited! This is my first purchase of the sale, but looking to buy Rogue Legacy, Xcom, and Witcher 2 by the end. I'm a Steam sale veteran at this point so I go into these with very specific strategies. You have to or it just gets out of hand.

Eternia

Giving back a little something.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

La-Mulana -- MB-D2A09EF1A9F97562 - Taken by Tesseract. 4 entrants total.
Spelunky -- MB-804D86AF33A2A009 - Taken by Hakkuei. 32 entrants total.

t1388120971z1.png

denx

While your list is awesome and you have plenty of games to play, I see you are missing the other Ys games. No one will hold it against you if you buy them too.

smh I missed Ys I and II the other day. Really hoping they will repeat one of these days.

Caerith

if you're patient with it, it won't. It's stellar - one of the best games I've played. The sense of accomplishment when you finally defeat that one boss that's been given you shit for ages... man, it's unparalleled.

A friendly word of advice from a noob-ish DS player: learn from dying, because you WILL die. Constantly. Dying is a natural part of the game design, and it's about making you learn from your mistakes so you can begin to understand how enemies behave. Don't be reckless. Keep your shield up. Prepare to Die.

EDIT: And yes, use DSFix (Praise the Sun for Durante!) and don't even think about playing with KB+M - it's designed to be played with a controller.
A friendly word of advice to add to that word of advice: don't be afraid to take your shield down and just go for it. Dark Souls punishes carelessness, but it does not reward caution any more than it rewards decisive action. Prepare to Die Fight Struggle Suffer Endure Live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom