• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I came to complain about no Deadly Premonition... Looks like I was beaten. At this point I'm wondering if my vote actually counts negative for some reason. >sigh<

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Agreed. I don't particularly care for the art of HuniePop, but it at least looks professional. I mean, the artwork for Higurashi also looks terrible...

... but it's driven by a compelling story about some really fucked up stuff.

Gender Bender Whatever Extreme looks like some amateur KeenSpot webcomic... and so does its artwork. /statler

Oh good. A chance to post some gifs from the Higurashi anime!

2006050211465476581383hk.gif
higurashi-o.gif
renalaughwv3.gif

Wookieomg

Dream piqued my interest so I voted for it. Don't hate me GAF. :x Deadly Premonition was a close second for me though... Been interested in checking it out for a while, maybe it'll have a killer deal by the summer sale.

What exactly makes Cook Serve Delicious so good? I've seen nothing but praise in this thread. Not much of a sim fan, but I'm willing to try new genres if it's a quality experience

What exactly makes Cook Serve Delicious so good? I've seen nothing but praise in this thread. Not much of a sim fan, but I'm willing to try new genres if it's a quality experience

It's a casual type of game, where you run a restaurant and have to make dishes arcade style by pressing buttons.

You can buy new ingredients, and cooking machines to make new dishes, you also need to keep your customers happy and vary your menus so people don't get tired of the same stuff all the time.

It's really addictive.

Seagoon

Lately I've been playing with an easy way to output Steam to my TV and toggle the sound output device automatically in Windows. Previously I used a combination of the Windows + P keys and a program called Soundswitch to handle this task, but it always seemed a bit manual and in relation to Soundswitch and Windows 8.1, a little flaky.

I came across an excellent program called PlaybackDevice (http://heilnizar.deviantart.com/art/PlaybackDevice-Audio-Output-Switch-285591834) - it supports command line options and when used in conjunction with the Windows displayswitch utility, I now have two Windows 8.1 tiles that allow me to toggle between TV and PC outputs respectively, making my comfy couch gaming even easier.

gDumcSH.jpg

I wrote a simple script that switches the display, waits 10 seconds then toggles the sound output to the TV. The wait is necessary for my TV (a middle-aged Samsung) - as it takes a while to initialize the sound hardware and for Windows to see it. YMMV

You can download the script here - all you need to do is extract it to "C:\ToggleOutput" and install PlaybackDevice to "C:\ToggleOutput\PlaybackDevice". After that is done, simply pin the two included shortcuts "PC.lnk" and "TV.lnk" to your Start Menu or the TaskBar.

I recommend reading the ReadMe for PlaybackDevice if you have any issues.

The script to output the display to my PC:
Code:
pushd %~dp0

::  Output to PC
displayswitch /external

::  Wait for a moment
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 10 -w 1000 > nul

::  Change Sound Output to PC
PlaybackDevice.exe 1

The script to output the display to my TV:

Code:
pushd %~dp0

::  Output to TV
displayswitch /internal

::  Wait for a moment
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 10 -w 1000 > nul

::  Change Sound Output to TV
PlaybackDevice.exe 2

I've only tested this script on Windows 8.1, but should work on Windows 8 and Windows 7 as well. Hopefully this is helpful to other Steam users here.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I expected DP to win, though I already had it.

I wanted the other two though, so I guess I'm pleased at least one of them won.

Really if you guys want DP, it's only $2.50 more at its regular sale price.

grimmiq

Skipped through a 20min demo on Youtube of Dream..Walked around looking at shit, occasionally talking to himself with little messages scattered around saying what things in dreams might mean.

Caerith

Skipped through a 20min demo on Youtube of Dream..Walked around looking at shit, occasionally talking to himself with little messages scattered around saying what things in dreams might mean.

Are the dream interpretations at least Freudian? "I see a squirrel. It means I want to have sexual relations with my mother. Ah, that cloud looks like a hamburger; clearly I want to have sexual relations with my mother."

Zeknurn

I wish the interface that lists which of your friends have the trading card you lack would also list how many dupes they have of that card.

grimmiq

Are the dream interpretations at least Freudian? "I see a squirrel. It means I want to have sexual relations with my mother. Ah, that cloud looks like a hamburger; clearly I want to have sexual relations with my mother."

Things like "If you dream of a cliff, it might mean you are looking for a different perspective before making a big decision.".

Lain

Good morning everyone!
While catching up, let me me tell you all that I woke in time to vote and I voted for Deadly Premonition (because I thought some people in here would have wanted it), but I'm glad such a bad port lost, personally.

Caerith

Thanks, I'll check it out. Is season 2 just "When They Cry II"?
I don't know. Personally, I hate the English translation of the title. In Japanese, it's higurashi no naku koro ni, translated as when the cicadas cry. Instead, we get Higurashi: When They Cry? (The unrelated series from the same folks, umineko no naku koro ni, or when the seagulls cry, is similarly "translated" as Umineko: When They Cry.) The Japanese titles for season 2 is higurashi no naku koro ni kai

There's a lot of stuff that might not make sense when you're watching it, but the second season answers most (if not all) of the questions.

Coldsun

Banned
So I just finished Gone Home, and the whole experience was eerie. I didn't really know what to expect going in, and it definitely creeped me out. Looking back on the last hour or so, all I can say is.. wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom