• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamo

So, is Deadly Premonition any good... like for real good? I have this feeling people like it because it's so bad. Maybe I got it all wrong?

I did my part and voted for it! :(

Eusis

So GAF. Steam Marines or Strike Suit Zero. Both seem interesting.

I am leaning towards Steam Marines.
Kinectic Void has the amazing discount of 0%, so go with that.

... Hmm, if no one bothers too fix that we may have a litmus test for how many either don't check things out first, or actively troll.
So, is Deadly Premonition any good... like for real good? I have this feeling people like it because it's so bad. Maybe I got it all wrong?

Story is genuinely enjoyable for those who like off kilter surreal stuff, and the gameplay is surprisingly solid.

Arthea

DP didn't win?!
Oh community, you so silly

edited: g'morning
did I miss anything? price errors, stealth changes and such

Bliddo

As a game is pretty bad, but the characters, the story, the quirkiness and the atmosphere make it an amazing experience.

Had to double dip on Rise of Flight. I'd already spent money on the free-to-play version, but dem Steam Achievements (and, more importantly, the play-time tracker) was too tempting for my favourite flight sim ever. The basic $12.50 version comes with all my favourite planes, anyway.

Is the Deus Ex HR Director's Cut supposed to show up as a separate entry in your Steam list? I figured it'd replace the original version if you already had it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Lain

From what I understood, it's good if you can stand the game crashing a lot and having to reboot your PC every 8 hours.
That would drive me insane personally.

Eusis

From what I understood, it's good if you can stand the game crashing a lot and having to reboot your PC every 8 hours.
Man, maybe this time the joke's on us and the community was better informed.

... More likely it was accidental.

Gorger

It's pretty much the game version of Twin Peaks minus some mediocre horror survivor segments. The game shines in its roster of unique, bizarre and interesting characters including a huge rural town waiting to be explored. It got a detective/serial killer plot which is really interesting!

Overall it's an extremely unique game, I don't think I have ever played something quite like it.

hohoXD123

Kimectic Void if you want to troll, Steam Marines otherwise. If it isn't the best at least it's the one game not on sale for that price already whether it's through a third party or Steam itself.

Trolling it is then. Screw you community, enjoy your same-priced game.

Dream may very well be an interesting game, but...I wouldn't have voted for a game that's not even remotely complete yet for that price.

I thought Dream looked interesting and voted for it; if you don't like the results you can go kick rocks!

Same here; it piqued my interest the most out of all three. Read up a little on it and if executed correctly, it could be a really interesting game. Still, I'm on the fence as to actually putting money down on it. Playing unfinished games isn't my thing, I'd rather just wait till it's been finished by the devs. Anyone have any impressions?

Master race is full of idiots.

It's not even that DP lost that gets me but that Dream won, I mean seriously?!

To be fair, the DP Port is a piece of shit.

Even Durante told me to play it without any crashes, you should reboot your PC every time you want to play it for more than 30 minutes.

Arthea

But it was patched, crashing problem I mean and it wasn't every 8 hours, but certain cutscenes, at least that's what steamgaf experienced. I got it when it was patched and it was before or during Autumn sale, I think.

KuroNeeko

It's apparently one of, if not the, most polarizing games out there. It certainly looks unique.

If you liked Twin Peaks, you might like Deadly Premonition.

But it was patched, crashing problem I mean and it wasn't every 8 hours, but certain cutscenes, at least that's what steamgaf experienced. I got it when it was patched and it was before or during Autumn sale, I think.

The DPFix is a resolution-fix and the patch is for better loading-times. I can try to search for Durantes post about that.

Just a few days ago I asked why it still crashes so much and he just told me I need to reboot the PC if you wanna play it without crashes.

Arthea

It's apparently one of, if not the, most polarizing games out there. It certainly looks unique.

There are people that didn't like Twin Peaks? not possible!

The DPFix is a resolution-fix and the patch is for better loading-times. I can try to search for Durantes post about that.

Just a few days ago I asked why it still crashes so much and he just told me I need to reboot the PC if you wanna play it without crashes.

I don't talk about Durante's patch but about official one.

Triggaaar

Neo Member
Still hunting down cards #3, 6 & 7.

Add me Bigjimmystyle85
I'm slightly embarrassed asking this, but I'm a bit new, and, er, well it's Christmas, so give me some slack.

What do you actually get when you've got those - you get all 10 cards and craft a badge, and then.. you get an in game item or a game or something (I assume you don't choose what)?

I doubt I'll be able to use the cards I've got, I've only got 394 XP, so I'm not a level 5 yet - and I can't buy snow cards on the market, as I haven't bought steam games in the year.

Can I give the cards I have to others, or can others give me cards?

Eusis

What? I thought Durante fixed it :/
Durante fixes stupid locked resolutions and gets some nice visual effects in, but something like that is clearly going to need a lot more time from people who can really dig deep into the game. Preferably its own developers.

I know the Twin Peaks references are quite clear, but there is much much much more to the game than "hey, York likes coffee too". Like I've said many times before, if you liked Majoras Mask's world, you MUST see DP's one!

I don't talk about Durante's patch but about official one.

The official patch reduced the crashes and fixed the load times and many other things but yes, the game still occasionally crashes, but nothing that a reboot can't fix.

Same here; it piqued my interest the most out of all three. Read up a little on it and if executed correctly, it could be a really interesting game. Still, I'm on the fence as to actually putting money down on it. Playing unfinished games isn't my thing, I'd rather just wait till it's been finished by the devs. Anyone have any impressions?
staredog.001.gif

Durante fixes stupid locked resolutions and gets some nice visual effects in, but something like that is clearly going to need a lot more time from people who can really dig deep into the game. Preferably its own developers.

There's only so much stardust you can sprinkle on a turd.

Arthea

Let me ask again, is it a game crashing (on certain cutscenes) or a game with Durante's patch crashing? It's unclear.
And even more interesting, 8 hours? Isn't that way more than one playing session? (><)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

1de8e7e2_NicolasCageLaugh.gif

Let me ask again, is it a game crashing (on certain cutscenes) or a game with Durante's patch crashing? It's unclear.
And even more interesting, 8 hours? Isn't that way more than one playing session? (><)

It doesnt matter if you have Durantes fix or not.

It will still crash at certain points and not only during cutscenes. If you wanna exit to the "overworld" or city at certain times, it will crash. And then it crashes randomly too, during a cutscene.
Or when you enter a building.

And yeah. It really works rebooting the PC. I had crashes like every 20-30 minutes before Durante told me to reboot the PC. Now I can play 2-3 hours without any crash.

Lain

Seems I'm locked from selling cards until January 2 because I added some money to my Steam Wallet. At least I'll have 1 day left to try and sell any surplus snowglobe before they melt.

Sarcasm

Thank you! Actually tomorrow starts my first day off in a long time. Hoping to update my mods then.

I have been playing other games so I haven't updated it to the newest update. Also you need to go over the cfg. I noticed tier 4 sword was listed as the same as tier 3. Anyways.

Spelunky has to be the best purchase I made this year lol.

Arthea

It doesnt matter if you have Durantes fix or not.

It will still crash at certain points and not only during cutscenes. If you wanna exit to the "overworld" or city at certain times, it will crash. And then it crashes randomly too, during a cutscene.
Or when you enter a building.

And yeah. It really works rebooting the PC. I had crashes like every 20-30 minutes before Durante told me to reboot the PC. Now I can play 2-3 hours without any crash.

Thanks for clearing that up. It's a pity, I was under impression that crashes got fixed. Oh well...

Not sure we can call it a shitty port, seeing as it doesn't run that good on PS3 too :)
OTOH the director's cut is a port of sorts, so it is a shitty port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom