• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo X

Anyone else having issues buying on Steam?

It keeps saying my credit card is declined, and it's been happening for the past day.

I know my credit card works because I just used it at dinner last night. Also called the company, and they said everything is fine and they haven't even received any credit requests from Valve.

Anyone else having issues buying on Steam?

It keeps saying my credit card is declined, and it's been happening for the past day.

I know my credit card works because I just used it at dinner last night. Also called the company, and they said everything is fine and they haven't even received any credit requests from Valve.

Did you use your credit card on Target?

derExperte

Kane & Lynch games cheap at gmg.

1.74€ for the first one, and 2.49€ for the second one.

Reminds me of when K&L2 was something like 80% off during the 2010 summer sale shortly after release. And it was no mistake. I know that few games flopped as hard as that one but I wish someone would get that crazy again with a newish title.

Raxus

I can write for miles on end about Dark Souls but I figured I have said all I needed to in the many Dark Souls LTTP threads and Dark Souls bitching threads.

Quick tips:

Endurance blows, only stat you should avoid.
Find a weapon you like and level it.

Slyjss

Do you guys play Dark Souls with a pad or mouse + keyboard?

Pad, I started the game in PS3 and felt better that way. Is it even possible to finish the game with mouse and keyboard? I haven't tried it, but it looks really uncomfortable knowing how the controls are mapped on a pad.

Nzyme32

Someone help me out here. What should I be buying:
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Devil May Cry 4
  • Devil May Cry 3 & 4 Bundle
  • DmC

I've heard there are a lot of issues with 3 but not sure about the others

Thorgal

I can write for miles on end about Dark Souls but I figured I have said all I needed to in the many Dark Souls LTTP threads and Dark Souls bitching threads.

Quick tips:

I thought you should avoid resistance at all costs and not endurance ?

ALRIGHT I BOUGHT IT. GOT DARK SOULS, YOU GUYS HAPPY NOW! ARE YOU!

thanks guys :D
Jeremiah%20Johnson%20nod.gif

Jawmuncher

Reminds me of when K&L2 was something like 80% off during the 2010 summer sale shortly after release. And it was no mistake. I know that few games flopped as hard as that one but I wish someone would get that crazy again with a newish title.

It sold like a million copies which was good enough to greenlight a sequel until IO was shorthanded by square to only work on Hitman. But with that said I think just Square in general is the only company that'll throw big discounts on their games pretty quick. Tomb Raider at 12.50 during the summer sale was a pretty quick turn around.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

K&L 2 is worth playing just for the visual style imo. its also like 3 hours long so its not like its a hassle

I should buy the first just for game count, JaseC style o_O

Thorgal

• Devil May Cry 3
  • Devil May Cry 4
  • DmC

3 is bad but relatively fixable by mods .

DMC 4 is a great port so take it .

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Didn't Outrun go on sale for around a buck in 2010? Here's what I bought that year:

Dec 9, 2010 Free CD Key Humble Indie Bundle

Aug 7, 2010 $17.99 Purchase Worms Reloaded (preorder)

May 20, 2010 Free Purchase Counter-Strike: Source Beta

May 7, 2010 $10.00 Purchase Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition

Apr 14, 2010 $4.99 Purchase Commandos Pack

Mar 9, 2010 $2.45 Purchase Toki Tori

Jan 30, 2010 $2.00 Purchase Freedom Pack

Jan 30, 2010 $2.00 Purchase X-Com Complete Pack

Jan 27, 2010 $2.00 Purchase Psychonauts

Jan 17, 2010 $4.99 Purchase Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000

Jan 3, 2010 $4.99 Purchase Trine

Oh, if only I'd known then what I know now. :(

Jawmuncher

• Devil May Cry 3
  • Devil May Cry 4
  • DmC

3 is a ok port. It works fine but you'll need the widescreen fix and maybe a few other fixes here and there. 4 is a good port and I have heard of no issues. DmC is an amazingly optimized port.

As for what to buy depends on what you're in the mood for.
DMC4 has the best combat of the series but the story is lacking. DMC3 is my personal favorite and the story works really well in pushing you forward. DmC is something you just have to jump into on your own. Though the enjoyment for it usually is dependant on how big of a fan you were with the earlier games. If you just enjoyed them as action games and weren't some crazy high level player you'll like DmC more than likely.

ev0

So Steam is still acting flaky for me currently. I sold a duplicate snow globe card on the market but it has apparently disappeared into the ether. I have no card and none of the $$ from it. Am I boned?

Quick tips:

confusedfgc8r.gif

You mean resistance right?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If you can put a single point or two in endurance to reach an attack breakpoint (an additional attack to reach stamina depletion) than endurance becomes a godtier stat.

edit: For example, attack 6 in this picture:

H2EjSoo.png

Nzyme32

3 is a ok port. It works fine but you'll need the widescreen fix and maybe a few other fixes here and there. 4 is a good port and I have heard of no issues. DmC is an amazingly optimized port.

As for what to buy depends on what you're in the mood for.
DMC4 has the best combat of the series but the story is lacking. DMC3 is my personal favorite and the story works really well in pushing you forward. DmC is something you just have to jump into on your own. Though the enjoyment for it usually is dependant on how big of a fan you were with the earlier games. If you just enjoyed them as action games and weren't some crazy high level player you'll like DmC more than likely.

Good to know! The bundle seems to be a good middle ground and will hold me till DmC is a tiny bit cheaper, so I'll go for that. Cheers!

Evo X

Well, my Visa worked. That's weird.

But when I changed payment methods, it didn't use any of my steam wallet funds and charged the whole thing to my card. Damnit.

Oh well, not like that's the last thing I'm gonna buy on Steam.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
FUCK

Bought the Kane & Lynch pack at GMG for the first and to gift the second... its just 1 key. son of a BITCH. thats a waste of money, and a waste of a key for fuck sake

TGMIII

• Devil May Cry 3
  • Devil May Cry 4
  • DmC

DMC3 PC port has some issues which are apparently fixable with mods but I have no first hand experience with it, otherwise it's one of the best action games ever created.

DMC4 PC port is great, has the best combat system in the series and in my opinion some of the best bosses in the series but suffers from backtracking.

DmC PC port is excellent, combat system is easier to approach but lacks in complexity due to this. Some of the best visuals and environments the series has to offer but also has some of the worst enemy types and bosses the series has to offer.

Thorgal

Good to know! The bundle seems to be a good middle ground and will hold me till DmC is a tiny bit cheaper, so I'll go for that. Cheers!

DMC4 is very well optimized .

I can crank that game up to 1800 p on my 660 and still get 60 fps with some minor drops .

DMC is even better optimized.

Jawmuncher

FUCK

Bought the Kane & Lynch pack at GMG for the first and to gift the second... its just 1 key. son of a BITCH. thats a waste of money, and a waste of a key for fuck sake

I feel that multiple games binded to one key should be outlawed ny steam.
It's such bullshit and the main reason why my steam account became everything including the kitchen sink.

derExperte

It sold like a million copies which was good enough to greenlight a sequel until IO was shorthanded by square to only work on Hitman.

Did not know that. Too bad as I kinda enjoyed KL2 but it's length was a joke for a full price game.

GMG20-ZB5D1-93X49 brings 2 down to 2€ btw.

Arthea

I just bought the book of Unwritten Tales on gmg, feels good, it wasn't discounted for a long time, at least I haven't noticed.
Now I have dilemma, do I want The Critter Chronicles too, or so I leave it for later.

Li Kao

I'm a bad player at games that are hard. I took my time with Dark Souls and I managed to finish it this month. It was simply the most rewarding experience on a videogame. Seeing the final credits made me feel so satisfied with the game that I even tried a little bit of New Game +

The Community online is amazing and very helpful, it was with them that I managed to kill some harder bosses (harder for me) and they are amazing. Some even sent me some messages with tips on how to go for the boss next time I want to go alone. The Soundtrack is incredible, one of the best I've heard. For the price you will be getting an enjoyable experience that will last long both in your hands and in your memory. It's the best price I've seen for a game like this and don't be afraid of being too hard, it's not. It's just that modern games hold your hand so much that when they don't it's like how you forgot to play a game that do not have a constant "beep" on your radar or an arrow indicating the way you should go for your next mission.

Get it, play it, engage with the amazing online Community with the Online signs and the Summons, it's great.

Yup yup, having only played Demon's Soul, I think it's a perfect description of the experience. The writing is excellent, and it is used in a very good way. If you are not interested in it, you surely won't have to suffer it, but if you are interested it will reveal itself between the dialog lines of an npc, in the description of an object, in how the world is arranged, etc... It's like, Bioshock and all tried to save us from cinematics by way of logs... and the Soul series up the ant by throwing the logs away too. The writing is here, it is superb, but only if you want to see it. In that way it is a sort of perfection.
And difficulty-wise, while you shouldn't listen to the know it all that will say it's not a hard game, that's it's easy yadayada... the games are hard, but not that hard. That's not an unfair difficulty. When you die, well, you sucked. To add more to the modern games are too easy thing, I think it could be compared with bicycles. Games had us pedaling with four wheels for years, and yeah, the Soul series is two wheels. Pure fuckingly glorious two wheels.

Still have to play Dark Soul, the only thing I could say against its predecessor, the only unfairness, the only stain, is effing psycho kings with superpowers. I hope there is no boss with this power. That was overkill. The rest ? Hard but fair all the way.

Didn't Outrun go on sale for around a buck in 2010? Here's what I bought that year:

Oh, if only I'd known then what I know now. :(
Apparently there are some Outrun 2006 gift copies still out there and someone bought one from a user in the community forum for $1000~

orz

Jawmuncher

Did not know that and it's too bad as I kinda enjoyed KL2 but it's length was a joke a full price game.

GMG20-ZB5D1-93X49 brings 2 down to 2€ btw.

Oh I fully agree.
I felt bad for anyone who spent the 60 on it.
Thankfully I had grabbed it for 13 and felt that was a good price for it.
If they bring K&L back they should just go the Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon route. Short game but for the price it's fine.

Arthea

• Devil May Cry 3
  • Devil May Cry 4
  • DmC

I would buy all, I mean bundle and DmC.
I did that too!

Rhaknar

Also more expensive than buying them separatedly...

hey Ningen... hey... shut up you! The knife is already there, you dont need to twist it :(

Sigh guess ill rebuy the first for myself, gift the 2-pack here, not gonna waste the second in steam ether when someone could use it

Nzyme32

DMC3 PC port has some issues which are apparently fixable with mods but I have no first hand experience with it, otherwise it's one of the best action games ever created.

DMC4 PC port is great, has the best combat system in the series and in my opinion some of the best bosses in the series but suffers from backtracking.

DmC PC port is excellent, combat system is easier to approach but lacks in complexity due to this. Some of the best visuals and environments the series has to offer but also has some of the worst enemy types and bosses the series has to offer.

Awesome, I had a sweep through the forums and it seems DMC3 is perfectly salvagable on PC with the mods, especially if you have no option of going for the console version anyway.

DMC4 is very well optimized .

I can crank that game up to 1800 p on my 660 and still get 60 fps with some minor drops .

DMC is even better optimized.

Sooooo good to see that DMC4 and DmC have been really well taken care of. They should be able to last an eternity on PC by the sounds of it!

I would buy all, I mean bundle and DmC.
I did that too!

Cheers, I'm doing the very same!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What likely happened is that Valve sent them the questionnaire asking "What do you want your discount to be?" and they said "-66%" and then the next question was "What do you want your discount to be if you get chosen for a daily/flash/community choice?" and they said "-66%" and nobody at Valve actually read that stuff because they'd rather work on Counter-Strike: Condition Two and, thus, here we are.
You mean Condition One, right? There's no point in skipping a number :p

And I loved the Deleted Scenes, they were really fun.

X360 controller. It's my preferred input method for third-person games unless there's a demand for precision (e.g. Max Payne 3).

Pad .

Keyboard is so horendous as to be useless .

This game Requires an controller to be played properly !

Pad, I started the game in PS3 and felt better that way. Is it even possible to finish the game with mouse and keyboard? I haven't tried it, but it looks really uncomfortable knowing how the controls are mapped on a pad.

Thanks guys, just what I thought.

hey Ningen... hey... shut up you! The knife is already there, you dont need to twist it :(

Sigh guess ill rebuy the first for myself, gift the 2-pack here, not gonna waste the second in steam ether when someone could use it

It's just 1 cent cheaper, don't kill me.

sorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.wwKUB16LsQ.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Apparently there are some Outrun 2006 gift copies still out there and someone bought one from a user in the community forum for $1000~

orz

Chasing yanked items that I missed the boat on is something I don't intend to dive into until after next year's Summer Sale (by the end of which I'll likely own just about everything that's then-currently available), but even then I'll have my limits.

Carm

Anyone else have issues with Steam suddenly deleting Set Launch Options/Command Line? Started up Dead Island and the start up movies played, went to check and all my games that had custom settings were wiped clean.

The_Monk

The_Monk (or anyone else), can you give me some hints/primers for Sen's Fortress? I've conquered Blighttown ages ago, traveled there thinking 'Phew, it's gonna be easy from now on, no more constant poison' and got promptly murdered by those lizardmen.
I still want to play the game, just need some... uh... prodding to do so. :)

I'll do my best fellow GAFfer!

First of all, I had a really bad time in that location because I must suffer from some sort of depth perception in games making my time to avoid those traps pretty terrible. The first time I went there, I was too weak, two hits from them and I was done, my shield was not good enough too. For those lizards Backstab is the best option. However, in the entry area I just ran past them. There's no point for you to kill them just do die on a trap later on getting more frustration for loosing souls. Get yourself Hollow, zero souls. You know have nothing to lose. Run past the traps, search for items, examine the space, then when you know the location a bit better, take it seriously. There will be a bonfire later on but I didn't even knew and went to the Boss up there. That boss did not hit me one single time and must have taken about one minute to beat. It's that easy! Your problem might be just at the start so run past enemies, put your shield up and they will be no problem. Catch me if you can.

ALRIGHT I BOUGHT IT. GOT DARK SOULS, YOU GUYS HAPPY NOW! ARE YOU!

thanks guys :D

Another BRAVE SOUL lights a Bonfire. :D

Yup yup, having only played Demon's Soul, I think it's a perfect description of the experience. The writing is excellent, and it is used in a very good way. If you are not interested in it, you surely won't have to suffer it, but if you are interested it will reveal itself between the dialog lines of an npc, in the description of an object, in how the world is arranged, etc... It's like, Bioshock and all tried to save us from cinematics by way of logs... and the Soul series up the ant by throwing the logs away too. The writing is here, it is superb, but only if you want to see it. In that way it is a sort of perfection.
And difficulty-wise, while you shouldn't listen to the know it all that will say it's not a hard game, that's it's easy yadayada... the games are hard, but not that hard. That's not an unfair difficulty. When you die, well, you sucked. To add more to the modern games are too easy thing, I think it could be compared with bicycles. Games had us pedaling with four wheels for years, and yeah, the Soul series is two wheels. Pure fuckingly glorious two wheels.

Still have to play Dark Soul, the only thing I could say against its predecessor, the only unfairness, the only stain, is effing psycho kings with superpowers. I hope there is no boss with this power. That was overkill. The rest ? Hard but fair all the way.

This is an amazing post. Expected from Li Kao himself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom