• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, thanks MRORANGE!

And shoutouts to Cloudius who was also very generous.

j3er6WFm3FXwu.png

fokkusu

Good luck!

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Don't Starve -- MB-E691511C473ED342 - Taken by 73V3N. 29 entrants total.

t1388170157z1.png

Tagyhag

Buy it now and get the other 4 DLC chars free

Big band is nearly completed and he's awesome

And then you got Eliza to look forward too

I bought it during the Autumn sale, does this mean that I'll get the next DLC characters for free but I have to still purchase Squigly?

ISOM

I'm selling a civilization 5 steam key for $5.99. Does anyone want it or is there a better thread to list this?

dani_dc

My alarm didnt go off when it was supposed to, so I ended up sleeping 20 minutes too much and missed the pricing mistake, already have the game, but would had gotten it for a few friends.

Prophane33

You have to go out of the top 60 in the Steam top sellers to find Ghosts, Black Ops II isn't even in the top 100.

Go read the Steam forums, it literally disgusts me.

ick. I tend to stay away from early access games because my short-lived career in QA testing (for EA nonetheless) has caused me to go into a cold sweat at the thought of playing an Alpha build of anything. Beta...I can handle depending on it's state (e.g. some people will try and pass off an obvious alpha build as a beta). If I played an early access game I'd feel too obliged to type up database entries, take screenshots and video and try and reproduce the bug...aka work for free. So that ain't happenin'

Edit: some of these steam forum posts are hilarious/sad.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Get a nice meal, Don't starve.

lasagna not ready nooooooooooooooooo

also GMG FUCKED UP the order of the bundle keys in the email, and now i have no idea what is what. great. Steam doesnt eat the keys if I try them until I find the one I didnt have correct, just says product already owned?

HoosTrax

There's something about the Skullgirls art and animation style that reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Maybe old school cartoons, ala Steamboat Mickey?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Here was my Steam review of RE6, which I just noticed is on the store page as helpful reviews, so yay!

"Resident Evil 6 at its best is a varied and fun co-op experience that will keep you guessing what sort of scenario you'll find yourself in next, with some of the best controls in the series and some legitimate fun and tense segments. At its worst, it is a confused mess of ideas that tries to be everything, but doesn't quite refine or completely solidify any of its concepts. I almost reckon Resident Evil 6 to a grab-bag. It throws a lot at you; one moment you'll be in a ruined neighborhood in a zombie Apocalypse as chaos springs around you, next you'll be near-naked maneuvering a completely-white environment while stealthing to avoid setting off alarms, then flying a plane Ace Combat-style over the ocean, or scaling the side of a building as a colossal monster climbs right after you.

If you're the type of gamer who enjoys sometimes complete nonsense with a friend, but also the variety of situations appeals to you, this will be right up your alley. It is a fun co-op game, the combat isn't well explained and can be frustrating at first, but once you begin to 'get it', it actually is rather in-depth, and Mercenaries is a lot of fun (the most similar comparison I can give is to the game Vanquish, if you have played it, as the combat focuses a lot on dodging gracefully and sanctification from pulling off insane stunts by risk and reward). There's a lot of content here, with four campaigns (each completely different) that last 5-8 hours each, as well as an addicting Mercenaries Mode and a rather throw-away but still good for a few laughs mode where you control the monsters in other peoples games during certain gameplay segments.

But Resident Evil 6 is riddled with problems in its design, ranging from poor level-design, missing the sort of weapon upgrade system the last few 'action' RE titles incorporated to allow one to pick weapons by choice, the boss fights range from okay to dreadful (they're often more cinematic flairs than strategic or actually fun battles, which I felt RE4 and RE5 had), and simply some segments of the game just are not fun. And if you don't take the time to adjust to how the game plays (its pacing, controls, and the like on face value appear to be very much in-light with RE4 and RE5, but actually playing the game like those games isn't a lot of fun as the game is designed quite a bit differently) it is very possible you will not enjoy your time with it. It should also be mentioned that the story is terrible. Not cheesy B-fun like RE5 and RE4, not so-bad-its-good, but most of the story is just bad. I did enjoy some development in Chris's story, and the relationship between Jake and Sherry is cute, but outside of that, the basic 'plot' to the story almost feels like a fanfiction to the series.

But still, I had a lot of fun with it. Something about never knowing what to expect, going from one ridiculous scenario to the next with a friend, and coming to terms with the game and actually feeling pretty awesome fighting off a fairly large array of enemies in Mercenaries Mode was worth it for me, and for those who just want a good, often ridiculous time with a friend, Resident Evil 6 can deliver some good laughs and some high peaks in spades. Just expect to waddle a bit through some drudgery.

PS. I find a lot of people like different moments of the game the best, for the campaign, I will say my personal highs were (in no order) Leon Chapter 1, Leon Chapter 2, Jake Chapter 3, Jake Chapter 5, Chris Chapter 3, Chris Chapter 4, Ada Chapter 1, Ada Chapter 2, and Ada Chapter 4."

Grief.exe

ick. I tend to stay away from early access games because my short-lived career in QA testing (for EA nonetheless) has caused me to go into a cold sweat at the thought of playing an Alpha build of anything. Beta...I can handle depending on it's state (e.g. some people will try and pass off an obvious alpha build as a beta). If I played an early access game I'd feel too obliged to type up database entries, take screenshots and video and try and reproduce the bug...aka work for free. So that ain't happenin'

Edit: some of these steam forum posts are hilarious/sad.

The Early Access games I have purchased have been far more stable in Alpha than BF4 was at release.

What a joke.

The only negative I find with Early Access games is, if I am enjoying them, I will play them to completion. Then I am not motivated to come back a few months down the line for the massive amount of new content that has been added.

Miguel81

I finally decided to buy Deus Ex HR DC. Also opened a ticket to get the original + missing link removed. Hope they follow through.

denx

I'm surprised people are just realising that when Ubisoft puts the latest game of a franchise on sale, they don't put the rest of the franchise on sale as well. They've been doing that through the Autumn/Spring and Holiday sales (for example, when far Cry 3 went on sale, the other Far Cry games didn't. Same thing when SC Blacklist went on sale).

Also, fuck Peacock.

rtcn63

I finally decided to buy Deus Ex HR DC. Also opened a ticket to get the original + missing link removed. Hope they follow through.

You don't want that. From what owners have said, the DC is built on an earlier version of the game, and is quite buggier, etc.

joe2187

Banned
I bought it during the Autumn sale, does this mean that I'll get the next DLC characters for free but I have to still purchase Squigly?

Yes.

Each character is free for everyone with the game for 3 months, then those who haven't downloaded them yet have to pay after the time is up.

If you download them within the first 3 months, they are yours to keep.

Wha-- don't do that! Trust me, even if you're OCD about your game list, the original entries are worth keeping. DC has the benefit of remixed bossfights, excellent commentary, ML integrated into the main game and a NG+ setting, but it's also marred with a lot of minor performance and visual discrepancies that aren't present in the vanilla game. That, and while ML being part of the game sounds like a great idea on paper, in practice I think it really drags the pace of the game so you might want the option to replay without it in the future.

The lead developer is adamant that they wouldn't be conducive to the gameplay.
I didn't even realize the game didn't have achievements, I can respect that.

Grief.exe

I didn't even realize the game didn't have achievements, I can respect that.

Exactly, I enjoy achievements, and I would enjoy earning them in Don't Starve, but I respect their decision not to include them.

And yet they didn't find Steam trading cards meaningless...

Well, having achievements won't directly earn them money quite like trading cards do lol.

Sure, someone might see increased value and they might sell more copies, but trading cards directly correlate to more revenue.

HoosTrax

Anyways, I consider it a cop out. The people who find achievements meaningless are free to ignore them as always. And they can be considered a fan service to those who do enjoy them.

I've always wanted to find out why Zeboyd doesn't include them either. The first two Penny Arcade games, which were done by a different dev team did have them.

Grief.exe

Didn't a bunch of modders bitched because there was a compilation?

Probably because they did all the work making the mods, then to just get shoved under the rug in some compilation. Harder to identify individual work in that form.

I understand this, but will they do the same with the PS4 version? I find it hard to believe.

Good point actually, I know Microsoft requires achievements Sony may have the same policy in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom