• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

What's going on in the lower left of the middle picture then?

iOu1725bHKtss.jpg

You are looking at boards of the ship and a guard standing on the dock, you only see his legs due to the angle.

I agree, it looks strange without context.

come on fucking lasagna cook already

oh Ass Creed 3 got the 75% I needed? yay bought

I just ate the last serving of the enormous lasagna we made for Christmas last night :p so good.

question for everybody. WIll Morrowing work with my PS3 controller? Skyrim does and bastion and my other steam games.

Divius

If anyone has a spare copy of Don't Starve they got while it was cheap, I would like to buy it. I'm bummed I missed the pricing error.

Just hit me up on steam, or pm me.

That's the problem, I struggled even with tutorial, something seems just don't work with me, I couldn't play it with controller at all, switched to the keyboard, it got loads better, I finally could play it, but or my timing is very off or I can't fully grasp how this game works (I mean special moves mostly, of course, I make them properly at something like 1 of 3 rate, it's too frustrating)

Fighting games. If you want to get better, you need to sit down and practice for an hour or two at a shot, consistently. Took me about a week before I got to the point where I could get specific moves to come out 100% of the time

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I don't know that they have a bad game on Steam.
Volgarr, SHoDN, Fist Puncher, and Super Puzzle Platfomer Deluxe, I think... all recommended.
This is the first time I've heard anyone say anything about Fist Puncher. Visually it's atrocious so I didn't really pay much attention to it—but Volgarr's no looker either, so I hadn't written it off completely. Do you have any impressions, a review or anything? Or are you going off trusted hearsay?

Kinyou

The entry level is actually pretty low for Skullgirls.
Easy to play hard to master is what I would say. The game is very forgiving with it's inputs and at this point for fighting game basic's I would almost say it's a good point to start with. Mind you this is from a mid-level player, which is the best I can strive for in any fighting game.

I've been playing KOF like crazy since yesterday and you have no idea how much Skullgirls spoils you. The most complex moves are a single 360 and some dragon punch (zig zag) motions. Some characters don't even have to deal with Zig Zags and mostly rely on quarter cirlce motions which are the easiest motions in the FG genre besides command normals (which SG has in spades).

If SG isn't simple enough then I don't know what is... unless there is a new fighter out there with a cast comprised solely of MvC3 Wesker lol.
Ok, that sure sounds tempting. Quarter circles I can handle, lol

Edit:

GIFCEPTION
Skullgirls Gif time?

OH BOY!
168ylfq.gif

PeacockStylin.gif

That'll do, Jim.

That'll do...
Skullgirls is supposed to have an amazing tutorial system. Apparently you can learn every aspect of the game, and general fighting game strategies through the list.
The defense tutorial is especially good. I've played it like ten times and I've been playing fighters for over a decade and a half.
King of Fighters and now Skull Girls. I'm slipping into fighting games on PC. Let's do this.
It helps to join the communities and the gaf threads for help or you will leave frustrated even if this is the second easiest modern fighter to play (first being Persona 4 Arena which is never gonna be on PC).
That's the problem, I struggled even with tutorial, something seems just don't work with me, I couldn't play it with controller at all, switched to the keyboard, it got loads better, I finally could play it, but or my timing is very off or I can't fully grasp how this game works (I mean special moves mostly, of course, I make them properly at something like 1 of 3 rate, it's too frustrating)
Times like these are when you should seek out a knowledgeable friend, GAF OTs or the weekly fighting game thread. What specials give you trouble? Are they charge motions, QCF motions or DP (Dragon punch/Zig Zag)? It helps to make new friends from gaf who can teach you the ropes personally as fighters add extra stuff like online training mode (SG is the only fighter on the PC besides SFxT that has this iirc).

Don't Starve doesn't have achievements? Any reason?

The developers didn't want to railroad the player's play style.

And yet they didn't find Steam trading cards meaningless...

Anyways, I consider it a cop out. The people who find achievements meaningless are free to ignore them as always. And they can be considered a fan service to those who do enjoy them.

I've always wanted to find out why Zeboyd doesn't include them either. The first two Penny Arcade games, which were done by a different dev team did have them.

I think it's kind of a cop out too. Add the achievement meta-game for those of us who enjoy it... people who don't want to go for them can ignore it and play normally or whatever. Or find a way to tie them into the game so that they don't affect playstyle. Time/score/whatever.

I wonder if the game will be getting achievements patched in, since they're putting it out on PS4 next month and I'm pretty sure all PS4 games are required to have trophy lists.

As for the cards? Everytime someone sells one, the dev gets a royalty, even though it's usually $0.01 or whatever. Having cards is a no brainer. It's extra income for very little work, I'd wager.

All right, picked up AC2 for that price. Meaning to get it on PC, but it's the last game I'm getting this sale.

Yeah right. You'll be back.

come on fucking lasagna cook already

oh Ass Creed 3 got the 75% I needed? yay bought

Sounds like you're playing too much Cook, Serve, Delicious!

I've been playing KOF like crazy since yesterday and you have no idea how much Skullgirls spoils you. The most complex moves are a single 360 and some dragon punch (zig zag) motions. Some characters don't even have to deal with Zig Zags and mostly rely on quarter cirlce motions which are the easiest motions in the FG genre besides command normals (which SG has in spades).

If SG isn't simple enough then I don't know what is... unless there is a new fighter out there with a cast comprised solely of MvC3 Wesker lol.

Blazblue/UMvC3/SFxT all have "beginner" control sets. Does SG have this, I forget -- I don't think it does.

I just finished Dear Esther and yeah, that was a thing. It looks and sounds pretty good though. I knew what I was getting into but I wish I read about how to change the walking speed before I started.

I'll have to look into this if I ever decide to play it.

Can someone explain the Skullgirls DLC? Is it all free before a certain date, or only a few if the characters?

Buy the game. Then download a DLC character when it is released, within the first 3 months of release, and it is yours. For free.

If you don't own the game OR you don't download the character in the first 3 months of it's release, then you will have to buy them later.

Grief.exe

WIll Morrowind work with my PS3 controller? Skyrim does and bastion and my other steam games.

You might have to do a work around with xpadder. All those games you listed are newer and conform to Xinput standards.

This is exactly why the Steam controller is such a welcome change, there are literally thousands of games that were made prior to the xinput standard came about.

Unicorn

I just ate the last serving of the enormous lasagna we made for Christmas last night :p so good.

question for everybody. WIll Morrowing work with my PS3 controller? Skyrim does and bastion and my other steam games.
This was the one thing that made the PC version uncomfortable. That and tiny text. This was years ago before controller support on PC was a thing and I had to cut wires on an OG x box controller and use some remapping program to treat the analog as mouse control and keyboard keys for buttons.

Nabs

Can someone explain the Skullgirls DLC? Is it all free before a certain date, or only a few if the characters?

Each character will be free once they are released. You just need to pick them up before they start charging (3 months).

Erekiddo

I was buying a copy of don't starve for a friend when the price raised in my cart.

Anyone have extra keys? I'll pay ya for your troubles.

Macmanus

I played the first hour of AssCreed1 and just stopped. Wasn't feeling it but don't have any specific complaint. I want to try again. I feel Brotherhood would be a solid $5 gamble. Is that accurate or am I stupid? I'm not a huge story person so gameplay is paramount.

redfirm

Banned
I played the first hour of AssCreed1 and just stopped. Wasn't feeling it but don't have any specific complaint. I want to try again. I feel Brotherhood would be a solid $5 gamble. Is that accurate or am I stupid? I'm not a huge story person so gameplay is paramount.

IMHO, all the AC games suck. havent played black flag yet thought. but they all get repetitive after a while. i own almost all of them, never finished any.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Buy the game. Then download a DLC character when it is released, within the first 3 months of release, and it is yours. For free.

If you don't own the game OR you don't download the character in the first 3 months of it's release, then you will have to buy them later.
Oh, neat. Thanks for the explanation.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

Why would you buy brohood before AC2 tho? It's the best one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lasagna in my belly, reposting to see if anyone knows:

does the AC3 season pass come with all the single player dlc packs?

You might have to do a work around with xpadder. All those games you listed are newer and conform to Xinput standards.

This is exactly why the Steam controller is such a welcome change, there are literally thousands of games that were made prior to the xinput standard came about.

This was the one thing that made the PC version uncomfortable. That and tiny text. This was years ago before controller support on PC was a thing and I had to cut wires on an OG x box controller and use some remapping program to treat the analog as mouse control and keyboard keys for buttons.

Thanks! if it doesnt work im just gonna go kb/m for this game.

Blazblue/UMvC3/SFxT all have "beginner" control sets. Does SG have this, I forget -- I don't think it does.
Mostly because it doesn't need this. When your most complex move is a single 360 motion (which is helped by SG's exclusive 360 protection tech) you don't need to program extra stuff like a "beginner" mode. It helps that all most all supers in the game are some variation of QCB/QCF/DP+pp/kk and you can confirm them after a single normal hit. The leniency is pretty mindboggling for some characters in the game. It's better than stuff like BB where I had to do half circle forward+half circle back+kick for Bang's standard super or KOF with it's 720 motions for characters that aren't even grapplers (why Kula...WHY!). Capcom games are the only thing that come close to SG in simplicity with their 2x QCB/QCF+pp/kk supers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom