• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I wish Risk of Rain would get a deeper discount than 33%. I'll probably get it anyway. I mean, it's only a couple bucks difference. Anyone have an opinion on the game? I should have people to play it with btw.

Even solo, it's fantastic. It made my top 10 list for GOTY.

Yes if you can play the whole game co-op...

Not necessary. It's a good time solo too. I played 0% of the campaigns with other people and enjoyed it.

if you havent played it? yeah definitely. The gun and melee combat is simply superb. As a resident evil game it falls flat on it's ass and breaks both of it's legs. As a pure cheesy action game that would make Micheal bay shed a tear it works perfectly.

MP is a blast and has a ton of replayability as well as online co-op.

Not really.
RE heroes? Check.
RE B-movie plot complete with "twists" and bad writing/acting? Check.
Zombies, Plagas, and Jaavo? Check, check, check.

It's an RE game through and through. At the very least, should I even entertain the notion that it's a terrible "RE game", it's still a better "RE game" than RE5 ever was.

No entrants yet, I'll leave this for 1h, if it doesnt get 3 entrants I'll just use modbot.
Winner (if you get 1st) can choose between: Skulls of the Shogun, Rising Storm, Civ5 (Base), Natural Selection 2, Sins of a Solar Empire, Euro Truck Sim 2, Surgeon Simulator 2013, How to Survive, Trials Evo Gold, Batman AC GOTY and Saints Row 3.

To enter, just quote this post and also PM just in case I happen to miss it.

Great give away I'd be interested in Skulls of the Shogun if I win

guys, how's shadow warrior?
I beat it just now, and I really enjoyed my time with it. I played it on Hard, and thought it was on the easy side -- but I don't know how much changing my difficulty level would have fixed that as you have the ability to regenerate most of your health on command. It is without a doubt better than the original Shadow Warrior, and it feels like an improvement on the Hard Reset formula. I can start seeing elements between the studio's games that seem to carry over and seem to be staples from Flying Hog like character and weapon upgrades, loads of deadly explosive environmental traps (including wall-mounted objects like air conditioners), a floaty feel to the gunplay, and weapon models that take up a large amount of screen space. Another staple of the studio seems to be weak boss encounters and making some of the later enemy types more spongy than anything, but fights like that end up being spaced out enough not to get too tedious. Unlike the first Shadow Warrior, you're going to have a lot of opportunity to just hack and slash your way through encounters, the sword itself has a few special moves tied to it, and the game sets it up to be a big part of the combat and keeping you capable of tanking through close range attacks.

You unlock NG+ mode if you wanna carry over your entire arsenal and upgrades, as well as a Heroic mode that has you playing the game with only the initial checkpoint of any given level, no manual saves. There's a Horde mode as well if you just want to play something instanced and arcadey.

Overall it's pretty fun.

denx

I guess that -66% for Fallout New Vegas only applies to the base game? I want to buy FO: NV GOTY for a cousin but no way I'm paying more than 5 bucks for it.

What's your opinion on Prison Architect?

So ok, prison architect. Here are the main things to know:

* It is early access and the game is still getting big monthly updates (just got one in the last day or so to add lakes and max/min security zones). Basically it is still very actively supported.
* As it stands, the game is completely playable and reasonably polished. I liken it to Don't Starve before the full game was released, it is a lot better now, but you could still have a great time with it even in the "unfinished" state. They are currently adding features, not making it work.
* There is already plenty to do and there is a lot of depth to the prison. Consequently, it is a bit hard for each game not to end in tears (and a lot of knifed guards). Steam workshop support can help you get ideas about how to make it all work.
* The tone of the game is a little strange. From looking at the graphics you might expect a light-hearted "sims" like romp. But instead, everything is all a bit serious (as you would expect from a prison sim) and the dark intro sequence is a bit jarring when compared to the presentation.
* You can pay an extra $10 to have a prisoner named in the game, which is a fun thing to do.

untitleddsiwa.png

So what does that add up to a buy or not? If you jump in now, it will be worth the money. However that is a reasonably high price for sale time and the game seems to be on the "discount slippery slope" based on the past few steam sales. It is only going to get better, so if you are not keen to play a quality sim right now you could probably wait till Easter.

awesome game. If you like sim type games, youd like PA. Its challenging if you want it to be, or can be played leisurely. prisoners are a little unpredictable at times(more so than what actual prisoners are) and game is still not fully released, so there is bugs. some monster sized prisons are fun to run from the workshop.

if you havent played it? yeah definitely. The gun and melee combat is simply superb. As a resident evil game it falls flat on it's ass and breaks both of it's legs. As a pure cheesy action game that would make Micheal bay shed a tear it works perfectly.

MP is a blast and has a ton of replayability as well as online co-op.

Yes if you can play the whole game co-op...

So ok, prison architect. Here are the main things to know:

* It is early access and the game is still getting big monthly updates (just got one in the last day or so to add lakes and max/min security zones). Basically it is still very actively supported.
* As it stands, the game is completely playable and reasonably polished. I liken it to Don't Starve before the full game was released, it is a lot better now, but you could still have a great time with it even in the "unfinished" state. They are currently adding features, not making it work.
* There is already plenty to do and there is a lot of depth to the prison. Consequently, it is a bit hard for each game not to end in tears (and a lot of knifed guards). Steam workshop support can help you get ideas about how to make it all work.
* The tone of the game is a little strange. From looking at the graphics you might expect a light-hearted "sims" like romp. But instead everything is all a bit serious (as you would expect from a prison sim) and the dark intro sequence is a bit jarring when compared to the presentation.
* You can pay an extra $10 to have a prisoner named in the game, which is a fun thing to do.

So what does that add up to a buy or not? If you jump in now, it will be worth the money. However that is a reasonably high price for sale time and the game seems to be on the "discount slippery slope" based on the past few steam sales. It is only going to get better, so if you are not keen for a quality sim right now you could probably wait till Easter.

Thanks guys :D

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So what does that add up to a buy or not? If you jump in now, it will be worth the money. However that is a reasonably high price for sale time and the game seems to be on the "discount slippery slope" based on the past few steam sales. It is only going to get better, so if you are not keen for a quality sim right now you could probably wait till Easter.

I've noticed this, and I also remember that Prison Architect was the first "No, you're going to pay more to play during Alpha, we aren't giving a discount" game. Is the game close to being finished or am I just reading too much into the sales? I haven't been following it much because I bought Don't Starve really early and kind of got my fill of the game before it ever got near completion, and haven't been paying attention to Prison Architect wanting to avoid doing that again.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The Hitman Absolution talk reminds me. Will Hitman: Sniper Challenge ever be released as it's own thing?

sprinkles

guys, how's shadow warrior?
I finished it today and loved it so much that I instantly started over on Insane difficulty to play more. The swordplay and movement is so rewarding, and I appreciate that the higher difficulty is not just enemies with more damage and higher hitpoints, but that they block your sword more often so you have to wait for openings to get your hits in (and have to use more environmental damage). On top of that is one of the best looking games ever.

Radio

Any opinios on Hitman: Absolution? Last Hitman I played was silent assasin, played it to death.

It's nice to look at, and there is one extremely fun part:
cornfields!
But overall I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It doesn't feel like a Hitman game, so don't buy it because you like Hitman.

Splatt

Bought Hotline Miami with the leftovers in my steam wallet, installed it and then find out that the updated version has no sound.

I can't believe they haven't managed to fix all the bugs 1 year after release...

Reg

Banned
Hey, Karl2177 thanks a lot for Hotline! I've been listening to the soundtrack on youtube and wow the music is incredible.

Dingotech

Man, I wish Risk of Rain would get a deeper discount than 33%. I'll probably get it anyway. I mean, it's only a couple bucks difference. Anyone have an opinion on the game? I should have people to play it with btw.

Buy it, it's a very tough game but it's super fun and nails the 'just one more go' factor.

Derrick01

Banned
Any opinios on Hitman: Absolution? Last Hitman I played was silent assasin, played it to death.

It's the new Deus Ex: Invisible War/Splinter Cell Conviction/Skyrim/Tomb Raider 2013/any other horrifically dumbed down game you can think of. Avoid at all costs.

(also you should really play Hitman Blood Money)

So, i just looked into Sword of the Stars - The Pit, and it looks like my kind of game. I saw the gold version keep getting mentioned, should i grab it now, or wait and see if it goes on sale cheaper?

Why not? The game is amazing and the best in the Hitman series too.

Yes, but the checkpoint system is really bad. I originally did not get it from all of the hate it got, but once I played through it I realized people were hating on Absolution just like Final Fantasy 13. It was the fans of the series that were complaining and they did not know what they were talking about. This comes from someone who is not a fan of either series, but likes the games the diehard fans hate on.

That is a short rundown on what I think. I say buy it.

Woo, glad to be back in town. Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Nice to see there is finally the AC daily deal. Can anyone speak to the DLC for AC3? Trying to decide if the deluxe is worth the extra $7.50

Miker

Strange for me it says €14.98... I want to replay this on PC and I still have R.E Revelations to play for the first time, I'm curious for that one despite reading mixed impressions.

If you play both REvelaitons and RE6, I would recommend playing REvelaitons first - it's a much simpler game with combat that's relatively shallow next to RE6. If you play RE6 first, REvelaitons will feel restrictive and archaic by comparison.

Any lesser known indies you guys would be willing to reccomend?

Yes, Waves! Quoting myself:

I'm bored, so here's a recommendation for an twin-stick shooter that some people might be interested in:
Waves - http://store.steampowered.com/app/107600/

It's $4 right now, and may or may not show up as a flash/daily; it's pretty old and not particularly popular, so I'm gonna guess it won't.

I thought this game would become the PC's Geometry Wars in terms of popularity, or at least mentioned as one of the best twin-stick shooters on PC, but I don't think anybody has really played it. It has a really slick presentation (read: cool particle effects), lots of enemy variety, lots of different modes, slow-mo (with music that distorts!), and a brilliant scoring system.

So here's the way the scoring system works, although my memory is bad: you get a multiplier that rises as long as you kill three enemies in the past second or so. Every ten enemies killed gets you a bomb, which is only available for a few seconds. Basically, what this means is that the best way to score is to let a crapton of enemies spawn, chase you around the map, turn around and kill some enemies to boost your multiplier and earn a bomb, then go into slow-mo (which doubles all points), and bomb everything all at once for insane points.

My explanation probably sounds overly complicated, but it's really a clever system that encourages smart play that strikes a balance between evasion and offense.

If you like twin-stick shooters, get Waves.

Here's a trailer, with my favorite song from the soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FRc4LGyEK0

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Those flash deals. *yoink* Morrowind and Blood Dragon will be mine for those prices. Finally getting Morrowind for $5 after having it sit on my wishlist for a good two years or so. >_> Now my X-box versions (Vanilla/GotY) can rest in peace and I can finish the last two main-quests. >_>

-MD-

It's the new Deus Ex: Invisible War/Splinter Cell Conviction/Skyrim/Tomb Raider 2013/any other horrifically dumbed down game you can think of. Avoid at all costs.

(also you should really play Hitman Blood Money)

Conviction was a pretty fun rent for me. I didn't have the rest of the series to base it off of though.

The rest of that shit is pure slop though.

Jomjom

Banned
Has anyone ever seen Law and Order go below the 50% $9.99 price? I'm a huge L&O fan and while I've heard that the game is just OK, I have to have it!!

Radio

Will Skullgirls get someone interested in fighting games who hasn't been interested in fighting games since they played SoulCalibur on Dreamcast while listening to Eagle-Eye Cherry and drinking Surge?

Derrick01

Banned
That is a short rundown on what I think. I say buy it.

When you didn't play the other games and therefore have no point of reference, wouldn't that make you the one who has no idea what they're talking about? You don't know why the fans of those series hate those games.

feel

Played for 10 minutes, realized there wasn't anymore a button that allowed me to nonchalantly drop my silenced weapon to the ground like a badass after shooting someone in the head, assumed things only would get worse from there and never went back to it.

Blood Money was amazing, played it for the first time around Absolution's launch. I crave more of that and need to go back and see if the earlier games are still playable and not too awkward to control and look at, Blood Money was already pushing it at times.

Will Skullgirls get someone interested in fighting games who hasn't been interested in fighting games since they played SoulCalibur on Dreamcast while listening to Eagle-Eye Cherry and drinking Surge?

I don't know about if you will get back into fighting games, but this game is a lot of fun and it has an amazing netcode.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Played for 10 minutes, realized there wasn't anymore a button that allowed me to nonchalantly drop my silenced weapon to the ground like a badass after shooting someone in the head, assumed things only would get worse from there and never went back to it.

Blood Money was amazing, played it for the first around Absolution's launch. I crave more of that and need to go back and see if the earlier games are still playable and not too awkward to control and look at, Blood Money was already pushing it at times.
I'm on the same boat, let me know what you think. :lol

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
so a question. I asked this on another thread but didnt really get a straight answer.

Some people on NeoGAF, for instance, like iHEO, sell games from steam. They obviously are exploiting the regional price differences, and reselling the games to us for cheaper. Since this violates the Steam Trading/Gifting Policy, is there risk of ppl like iHEO and the buyer getting banned or suspended on Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom