• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ869

Manual save system >>>>>>>>>> checkpoints.
The hand-on-face thing it's pure stupidity.
The focus mode makes my blood boil.
The fact that you are forced to use it because of the awful level design and the shitloads of guards everywhere...

You forgot it resets the lvl when you load checkpoints, so all the people will respawn.

All right, I'm pretty bored and have a spare SpeedRunners sitting in my inventory.
Was thinking to simply give it away here but... nah... let's make this a bit interesting, gonna have a small competition.

First 3 entrants get to play a game of 8 matches (all levels) up against me.
1st place = 4p, 2nd place = 3p etc.
The best of the three gets a free Speedrunners gift to do whatever he/she pleases with it.
If you come 1st (ie. beats the Dunder of Speed), you will get another free gift, whatever it may be (haven't decided yet).

Have two entrants:

Archaix
grosvenor_92 (doesnt reply, check pm please)

I'll give it a little while, might do a race for just us three otherwise (if grosvenor replies).
Best of the entrants get Speedrunners to gift to anyone they please.
1st place gets to pick one game of these:

Skulls of the Shogun, Rising Storm, Civ5 (Base), Natural Selection 2, Sins of a Solar Empire, Euro Truck Sim 2, Surgeon Simulator 2013, How to Survive, Trials Evo Gold, Batman AC GOTY and Saints Row 3.

Milchmann

Are there any games similar to the console version of Diablo 3 on Steam? Action RPGs or hack and slash with proper controller support?
Hammerwatch is $3 on Humble Store and sounds like such a game.

That is a short rundown on what I think. I say buy it.
I think Hitman Absolution was a good stealth game, just wasn't a good Hitman game. Blood Money remains the Hitman game to play for a true Hitman experience. Wouldn't say I'm a diehard fan since I've only played BM and Absolution, but after anticipating a new Hitman for years, Absoluion just didn't live up to hopes and expectations.

While I love the improved controls and the visuals and the animations, Absoution just shed so many of the elements that made me a fan of the series and of stealth games in general. The thrill of meticulously planning out a hit and hiding in plain sight and disappearing like a ghost is lost when the levels are segmented and so many rely on regular stealth or have pre-detemtined outcomes. At least for me, lot of the series' subtle charm came from learning the level and being privy to the little details and the atmosphere of the mini-sandboxes and I felt Absolution never achieved or offered that

Dingotech

Are there any games similar to the console version of Diablo 3 on Steam? Action RPGs or hack and slash with proper controller support?
Hammerwatch is $3 on Humble Store and sounds like such a game.

I'm unsure about the controller support but Van Helsing is a lot of fun.

Seagoon

We will have MGR at least so that's a start

iEHft3rJreaDI.gif

Can't wait til the 9th.
Fingers crossed it's a good port

Lain

Have two entrants:

Archaix
grosvenor_92 (doesnt reply, check pm please)

I'll give it a little while, might do a race for just us three otherwise (if grosvenor replies).
Best of the entrants get Speedrunners to gift to anyone they please.
1st place gets to pick one game of these:

Skulls of the Shogun, Rising Storm, Civ5 (Base), Natural Selection 2, Sins of a Solar Empire, Euro Truck Sim 2, Surgeon Simulator 2013, How to Survive, Trials Evo Gold, Batman AC GOTY and Saints Row 3.

Quite an interesting way to do a giveaway, and some nice prizes to boot.

vazel

Banned
Seeing my Snow Globe badge on my profile makes me want a Halloween themed badge. Does anyone know of a game that gives out Halloween themed badges?

blub? huh?

why is it the worst? Or is this another "its not like the old Hitman games, not a true Hitman game so it sucks" type of thing?
Well like I said, it didn't suck. It was different and while I enjoyed it, if someone wanted a Hitman experience, it wouldn't be my first recommendation. It did some things right, but overall I felt it didn't feel like the open ended Hitman gameplay seen in BM

Jintor

Honestly I thought it was fun as a stealth game. SC Chaos Theory is still king, but I don't think Absolution was bad or the worst.

It was definitely a huge step back from blood money in everything except crowd tech in terms of being a hitman game. It traded it in to be a medicore splinter cell for the most part.

it's a phone game, so i'm guessing it has a forgiving learning curve.

Uh...

Turfster

why is it the worst? Or is this another "its not like the old Hitman games, not a true Hitman game so it sucks" type of thing?

No, it's just a really, really shit "stealth" game. None of the stealth mechanics is worth a damn or requires any actual stealth gameplay past PRESS X TO PRETEND TO LOOK AT SOMETHING or PRESS X TO COVER YOUR FACE.
This is not what I look for in a stealth game.

Yeah, Absolution was kind of disappointing. Blood Money was probably the last good Hitman game.

I'm kinda sad though that the series never followed on the more outlandish and disturbing stories of the first game. Well, they did to an extent, but I'll never forget the tutorial mission in the insane asylum as well as the whole idea of 47 and the final boss fight. All of the other games were completely bland and uninteresting in comparison to the story of the first game, at least for me.

joe2187

Banned
Any thoughts on Skull Girls being playable for a casual gamer?

Very robust tutorial that teaches people how to play fighting games in general, all the basic mechanics and advanced mechanics. You can try out the entirety of the tutorials for free from the demos on 360/PS3. The tutorial is probably one of the best in fighting games and there are a ton of guides and resources on how to level up your own skills.

And....more gifs....Last time....i promise.....maybe.

SkullGirls_Valentine_30_DeadCross_sgif_zpsd65cc3f3.gif

Lemstar

Any thoughts on Skull Girls being playable for a casual gamer?
Basic play in Skullgirls inherently requires more button pressing than Street Fighter 4 does. If you're going to have problems doing motions on your input device of choice, you might not have all that much fun.

Pakkidis

blub? huh?

never played the other hitman games only absolution and I can tell you that as a stealth game it is rather lacking and forgettable. Some problems I remember are the guards are very sensitive to you, they will spot you the second you peek around the corner, disguise or not. In fact that was the worst part even if you wear a disguise the guards will home in on you half way across the map. Through in laughable characters, a forgettable story and you got absolution.

The game had serious potential, if their are mods out there that fix the stealth it would be a great game.

quoting myself from a while ago about Hitman:

The way the disguise system worked made using disguises a a greater challenge, but not in a way that makes sense. Anyone wearing the same type of outfit you are will recognize you if you're in their line of sight for too long or are too close (the threshold for detection for both variables decreases at higher difficulties). I get why it was done and I greatly appreciate the devs trying make using disguises are more involved process; I should be at the edge of my seat if I'm walking through a room full of armed guards who might realize I'm not one of them if I do something out of the ordinary. I should have to actively try to stay in character or divert attention from myself.

The problem is that (at least on Hard/very hard), enemies would become suspicious in a really unbelievable way and ridiculously quickly. It made sections of the game appropriately tense, but in ways I doubt the developers intended. I often had to crouch and sneak through areas while in disguise because of this suspicion mechanic. The "hide face/look away" move that would counter this was tied to the instinct meter, something that only gets refilled by performing certain actions (and doesn't exist at the highest difficulty level). Being able to casually hide your face while passing past other people who would believably recognize whether you're in their group is cool, but having it tied to this meter rather than making it a somewhat unreliable move (either based on chance or timing) is silly. It also sucks that one a particular person becomes suspicious, you get no chance to talk your way out of it or divert attention; you have a certain amount of time to knock them unconscious, kill them or take them hostage once they draw a weapon on you.

Again, the way it works in this game does make some segments appropriately intense and challenging. When you have to escape the apartment building as cops search for you, I couldn't just knock out a cop, take his outfit then waltz on out. I had to be careful throughout and waiting for the L train to arrive was actually intense, what with cops interspersed through the crowd. The way I played that section (crouching while in disguise, walking past other people) was dumb though.

I hope a future Hitman uses a new disguise system and doesn't just copy Blood Money because the potential is there for interesting gameplay options and intense moments. It would really help to make that disguise system fit within the game world though. The more scripted moments are fine in themselves, so long as they aren't as frequent as in Absolution and still leave you completely in control with a reasonable amount of options. Stuff like that scene in Deus Ex: human Revolution where armed guards rush into the office you're in (you can stealth kill/incapacitate them, sneak through them, shoot them, or avoid the entire room entirely) is great even though you're forced to act within a time frame.

Jintor

Yeah, Absolution was kind of disappointing. Blood Money was probably the last good Hitman game.

I'm kinda sad though that the series never followed on the more outlandish and disturbing stories of the first game. Well, they did to an extent, but I'll never forget the tutorial mission in the insane asylum as well as the whole idea of 47 and the final boss fight. All of the other games were completely bland and uninteresting in comparison to the story of the first game, at least for me.

Fuck the story. It was always about the sandboxes and the systems, man!

hitmon

Basic play in Skullgirls inherently requires more button pressing than Street Fighter 4 does. If you're going to have problems doing motions on your input device of choice, you might not have all that much fun.

Thanks, this might not be for me then.. I have trouble doing motions with Street Fighter 4.

Jintor

quoting myself from a while ago about Hitman:

The way the disguise system worked made using disguises a a greater challenge, but not in a way that makes sense. Anyone wearing the same type of outfit you are will recognize you if you're in their line of sight for too long or are too close (the threshold for detection for both variables decreases at higher difficulties). I get why it was done and I greatly appreciate the devs trying make using disguises are more involved process; I should be at the edge of my seat if I'm walking through a room full of armed guards who might realize I'm not one of them if I do something out of the ordinary. I should have to actively try to stay in character or divert attention from myself.

The problem is that (at least on Hard/very hard), enemies would become suspicious in a really unbelievable way and ridiculously quickly. It made sections of the game appropriately tense, but in ways I doubt the developers intended. I often had to crouch and sneak through areas while in disguise because of this suspicion mechanic. The "hide face/look away" move that would counter this was tied to the instinct meter, something that only gets refilled by performing certain actions (and doesn't exist at the highest difficulty level). Being able to casually hide your face while passing past other people who would believably recognize whether you're in their group is cool, but having it tied to this meter rather than making it a somewhat unreliable move (either based on chance or timing) is silly. It also sucks that one a particular person becomes suspicious, you get no chance to talk your way out of it or divert attention; you have a certain amount of time to knock them unconscious, kill them or take them hostage once they draw a weapon on you.

Again, the way it works in this game does make some segments appropriately intense and challenging. When you have to escape the apartment building as cops search for you, I couldn't just knock out a cop, take his outfit then waltz on out. I had to be careful throughout and waiting for the L train to arrive was actually intense, what with cops interspersed through the crowd. The way I played that section (crouching while in disguise, walking past other people) was dumb though.

I hope a future Hitman uses a new disguise system and doesn't just copy Blood Money because the potential is there for interesting gameplay options and intense moments. It would really help to make that disguise system fit within the game world though. The more scripted moments are fine in themselves, so long as they aren't as frequent as in Absolution and still leave you completely in control with a reasonable amount of options. Stuff like that scene in Deus Ex: human Revolution where armed guards rush into the office you're in (you can stealth kill/incapacitate them, sneak through them, shoot them, or avoid the entire room entirely) is great even though you're forced to act within a time frame.

100% agreed, I could see where they were going but the way it actually worked was fucking stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom