• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basic play in Skullgirls inherently requires more button pressing than Street Fighter 4 does. If you're going to have problems doing motions on your input device of choice, you might not have all that much fun.

I'd also keep in mind that SGs doesn't have the timing execution elements SF4 requires which I'd consider a much harsher barrier to entry than the motions.

I'm unsure about the controller support but Van Helsing is a lot of fun.

I just finished it yesterday so I can confirm Van Helsing does have controller support. It is a little buggy though. I can remember two quests I couldn't complete with the controller as you can't interact with the things you need to click, though it works fine with the mouse. Unfortunantely I couldn't find a way to change the control settings on the fly, you have to restart the game which respawns all the mobs in the area and you have to grind that area again.

The two quests:

1. Picking up the bombs in the Gallowsbog
2. Interacting with the lift in the Secret lab

I also couldn't start a boss-fight and had to use the developer approved console hack to bypass it.

I recommend it though and the companion Katrina is a riot, she snarks on a level Joss Wheedon would be proud of!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Have you all been studying?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Final Exam #2 -- MB-094CF3D3794D188D - Taken by trailmix16. 12 entrants total.
Final Exam -- MB-46BCA3481E50CA7A - Taken by Kifimbo. 19 entrants total.

t1388190904z1.png

C4rter

They really need to hire some people strictly to manage the store and customer service, and not to start managing the store but then wheel their desk over to the Blue Shift 2 development corner.

Yeah right? I will never understand how they can mess up so much in just one sale, and something like this happens in almost every sale.

Freezard

Is Metro 2033 heavily scripted throughout the game? Cause I've "played" the first few levels now and I feel like I'm watching a movie. I can't understand shit either cause I'm playing on Ranger Hardcore and I have the language on Russian and there's only subtitles for the main dialogue ;_;

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Have you all been studying?

I feel silly, I've been avoiding this game for some time because I confused this side scroller with the awful awful awful, did I mention awful, deathmatch FPS Bloody Good Time.

Thanks for the giveaway, accidentally clicking the picture made me realise my mistake.

Is Metro 2033 heavily scripted throughout the game? Cause I've "played" the first few levels now and I feel like I'm watching a movie. I can't understand shit either cause I'm playing on Ranger Hardcore and I have the language on Russian and there's only subtitles for the main dialogue ;_;

Every Metro has a scripted beginning.

Dusk Golem

I feel silly, I've been avoiding this game for some time because I confused this side scroller with the awful awful awful, did I mention awful, deathmatch FPS Bloody Good Time.

Thanks for the giveaway, accidentally clicking the picture made me realise my mistake.
Yup, it's a pretty fun multiplayer beat-em up released last October that is a spin-off of the Obscure series of horror games.

Turfster

Is Alan Wake any good?

It's kinda meh.
It's better on PC, but still, it's not half the game it could have been had they been able to stick to open world like they were planning to from the start (Xbox/360 ruining games since the beginning etc etc).
The few remaining sections from that stand out like sore thumbs now. The actual "combat" is extremely routine and every encounter is telegraphed, so even as a horror/suspense story, it fails at its goals.

yuraya

I'm kinda sad though that the series never followed on the more outlandish and disturbing stories of the first game. Well, they did to an extent, but I'll never forget the tutorial mission in the insane asylum as well as the whole idea of 47 and the final boss fight. All of the other games were completely bland and uninteresting in comparison to the story of the first game, at least for me.

That Asylum aftermath level from contracts was one of the greatest levels ever in any stealth game. Remember being so pumped while playing it. It was incredible. So many good memories from the earlier Hitman games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Got Snowglobes #5 AND #1 (pretty rare) to give away to someone that needs to complete badges. First come, first served. Same drill as last time. PM me with your Steam ID and I'll add you to give them to you. Don't need anything in return.

Kifimbo

Got Snowglobes #5 AND #1 (pretty rare) to give away to someone that needs to complete badges. First come, first served. Same drill as last time. PM me with your Steam ID and I'll add you to give them to you. Don't need anything in return.

Rare ? It's the most common one on the Steam Market.

Shadow780

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, so my latop has a 512GB main SSD for boot and a 1TB mechanical drive for data storage. I have steamapps folders in both drives, so if I want to take advantage of SSD can I simply move one of the games from my data drive to my boot drive's steamapps folder?

Ceebs

Hoping for a Castlestorm daily or flash deal at this point.

Also how is that Final Exam game? Looks like it could be a decent co-op beat em' up.

Just gave in to buy Far Cry blood dragon over Don't Starve. Surprise the former didn't get much mention during its flash sales. Hope I won't be regretting over my choice.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Yup, it's a pretty fun multiplayer beat-em up released last October that is a spin-off of the Obscure series of horror games.

Well now I really have to get it. I loved the Obscure games and if Zombie Revenge from House Of The Dead proved anything, I'm a sucker for a beat-em-up based off a "horror" franchise I love.

Speaking of Obscure, we really need more survival horror games with smarter use of co-op design. Not the Resident Evil 5-onward design where it's just another person who does mostly the same stuff and it's the same game if you removed them, but different characters of different abilities enhancing each other.

I loved the PS2 for that back in the day. Resident Evil Outbreak, Obscure, and so forth.

Dusk Golem

Hoping for a Castlestorm daily or flash deal at this point.

Also how is that Final Exam game? Looks like it could be a decent co-op beat em' up.
To off-shot the posted Destructoid review: http://www.co-optimus.com/review/1305/page/1/final-exam-co-op-review.html

I liked it and a friend liked it, but two of the friends I played with disliked it. Best part is the first 3 levels and the final level, though. Suffers some repetition, but the combat is actually really good (think 2D DMC).

Arukado

Sent you a pm.

EDIT: I was late. Oh well. Thanks anyway :).

tmarques

It's kinda meh.
It's better on PC, but still, it's not half the game it could have been had they been able to stick to open world like they were planning to from the start (Xbox/360 ruining games since the beginning etc etc).
The few remaining sections from that stand out like sore thumbs now. The actual "combat" is extremely routine and every encounter is telegraphed, so even as a horror/suspense story, it fails at its goals.

Hear, hear. Characters and story are awful as well - think Stephen King's very worst works.

Zeliard

Did all of you get Volgarr the Viking yet?

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/volgarrtheviking_storefront

$5.99 (50% off, seems doubtful it would go any lower on Steam during this particular sale)

Excellent 2D action platformer. Difficult but fair (precise controls, pattern-based enemies, mid-level checkpoints). Good-hearted and fun, and without the sort of overbearing stylistic attitude that would get tiring after a while. A game that doesn't take itself seriously, where you don't feel cheated if you die, and where overcoming obstacles is incredibly satisfying.

I heartily recommend it to anyone who enjoys the genre.

Dusk Golem

Well now I really have to get it. I loved the Obscure games and if Zombie Revenge from House Of The Dead proved anything, I'm a sucker for a beat-em-up based off a "horror" franchise I love.

Speaking of Obscure, we really need more survival horror games with smarter use of co-op design. Not the Resident Evil 5-onward design where it's just another person who does mostly the same stuff and it's the same game if you removed them, but different characters of different abilities enhancing each other.

I loved the PS2 for that back in the day. Resident Evil Outbreak, Obscure, and so forth.
I agree completely, and wish Obscure 1 and 2, and Resident Evil Outbreak 1 and 2 had caught on more.

Final Exam was originally called Project Obscure as the people who made Obscure branched from their parent company and bought the rights to Obscure, and made their own indie studio. Final Exam is the first game released by them, and I hope they bring Obscure 1 and 2 to Steam and make further Obscure games. I like to pretend Final Exam is a project to work with online before they make Obscure 3 with online co-op.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom