• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Modbot broke 10,000 giveaways some time over the last two days.

Also I got engaged, which I am optimistically looking at as an excuse to play through my backlog since I'm broke as hell and won't have any money for gaming for the next year or so LOL.

It's so touching that you finally got engaged to Modbot!

Congratulations!

Caerith

It's so touching that you finally got engaged to Modbot!

Congratulations!

metropolis3.jpg

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is Guac more like Dust:AET than any of the Metroid games?

No, it's one connected overworld where you use new traversal and combat abilities to access new areas. It's very much a game in the tradition of Metroid but with melee combat. I liked both games but Dust really doesn't fit into the "Metroidvania" label. Guacamelee never reaches Shadow Complex levels of feeling like a remake of Super Metroid, but it's certainly the same genre.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Also I got engaged, which I am optimistically looking at as an excuse to play through my backlog since I'm broke as hell and won't have any money for gaming for the next year or so LOL.

tumblr_monfny0qEZ1rvs9wso2_500.gif

Cook, Serve, Delicious is easily my favorite game i've bought so far, though i'm really enjoying Hotline Miami.

Also, CSD is an asshole. 4 card drops, and 3 are the same card. If anyone needs a Loaded Potato card for that game and has anything else, i'll take it!

Slavik81

In voting related news, Universe Sandbox is really cool if you basically want a toy to model the universe. I like fast-forwarding through time and watch all of the planets get ejected from the solar system.

Really? I found it was surprisingly difficult to do anything interesting, and it crashed on me several times. I bought it for $2 a year or two ago and thought it was a (small) waste of money.

Kadin

No, it's one connected overworld where you use new traversal and combat abilities to access new areas. It's very much a game in the tradition of Metroid but with melee combat. I liked both games but Dust really doesn't fit into the "Metroidvania" label. Guacamelee never reaches Shadow Complex levels of feeling like a remake of Super Metroid, but it's certainly the same genre.
Ah okay. All those games are great either way so comparing it to one or another in some fashion works for me.

Maddocks

Congrats Stump.

On a unrelated note, loving the bioshock triple pack, only real issue I have is with bioshock 2, it crashes at random times, gives zero warning and forces me to save it every room...takes me out of the game sadly. But overall, its a great pack.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Considering buying Quacamelee instead of Volgarr.

I only have enough money for 1. What say you, GAF?

Having played through both I'd vote for Volgarr. Guacamelee is quite good too, can't really go wrong either way. Volgarr is just a more tightly designed, satisfying game to play.

Levyne

Banned
Congrats Stump.

On a unrelated note, loving the bioshock triple pack, only real issue I have is with bioshock 2, it crashes at random times, gives zero warning and forces me to save it every room...takes me out of the game sadly. But overall, its a great pack.

I had weird issues with 2 as well I think. Had to lower settings to prevent crashes, I'm unsure what was wrong.

Whools

In voting related news, Universe Sandbox is really cool if you basically want a toy to model the universe. I like fast-forwarding through time and watch all of the planets get ejected from the solar system.

Congratulations!
Are there any other neat modbot statistics you know of? I can guess the most given away game *cough* Bad Rats *cough* , but any cool tidbits would be fascinating.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Considering buying Quacamelee instead of Volgarr.

I only have enough money for 1. What say you, GAF?

Völgarr is the far better designed and made game, with each section and placement of enemy carefully chosen as they made the game and is quite rewarding for all of it the classic 16-bit home console style of action games. If you want something you can really sink your teeth into and find yourself getting better at it via skill, while returning to the design of games from the SEGA Mega Drive days, go for this.

Quacamelee is an easier, more forgiving, fun to go at your own pace game with a few exceptions such as the last boss and some optional challenges. It is of course designed well, but not as tight due to it's more open ended style to allow the idea of "you go where you want" hidden linearity. Of the two games, this is the one more played to be sure.
A lot of people love it's open world to travel and backtrack to for new areas to open up as you gain new abilities. Quite the fun game and one I say go for if you want something in the more modern sense of a 2D side scroller action game with a focus on combo beat-em-up tactics and platforming.

I personally couldn't decide between the two if I had to, o I would flip a coin honestly. Not a bad choice either way.

Congrats Stump.

Dumb question. I'm sitting on $35 of Steam credit. I've got what I wanted so far out of the sale, but I really want Burial at Sea. I'm holding out just buying it along with Broken Sword 5, but I don't want to buy it on the off chance Bioshock DLC goes on sale. I think I might hold out until the sale is over just in case.

Congrats Modbot!

Oh, and Stump too!!

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Dumb question. I'm sitting on $35 of Steam credit. I've got what I wanted so far out of the sale, but I really want Burial at Sea. I'm holding out just buying it along with Broken Sword 5, but I don't want to buy it on the off chance Bioshock DLC goes on sale. I think I might hold out until the sale is over just in case.

It's a shame that you missed that pricing error right at the star of the sale. :lol
5$.

-MD-

Volgarr is the superior game. If you're in the mood for a metroidvania Guacamelee is good too though.

And congrats to stumpy and moddy!

Having played through both I'd vote for Volgarr. Guacamelee is quite good too, can't really go wrong either way. Volgarr is just a more tightly designed, satisfying game to play.

Völgarr is the far better designed and made game, with each section and placement of enemy carefully chosen as they made the game and is quite rewarding for all of it the classic 16-bit home console style of action games. If you want something you can really sink your teeth into and find yourself getting better at it via skill, while returning to the design of games from the SEGA Mega Drive days, go for this.

Quacamelee is an easier, more forgiving, fun to go at your own pace game with a few exceptions such as the last boss and some optional challenges. It is of course designed well, but not as tight due to it's more open ended style to allow the idea of "you go where you want" hidden linearity. Of the two games, this is the one more played to be sure.
A lot of people love it's open world to travel and backtrack to for new areas to open up as you gain new abilities. Quite the fun game and one I say go for if you want something in the more modern sense of a 2D side scroller action game with a focus on combo beat-em-up tactics and platforming.

I personally couldn't decide between the two if I had to, o I would flip a coin honestly. Not a bad choice either way.

High praise for both, leaning towards Volgarr at this point but I might need to dig deep and get both.

Thanks, fellas.

Turfster

Finished Marlow Briggs AND THE MASK OF DEATH.
It was an INTERESTING GAME that had ENJOYABLE GAMEPLAY and a great SHLOCK PLOT, with HILARIOUS BANTER and FUN MINIGAMES that CHANGE UP THE PACE. I was GLAD I BOUGHT IT.

(Also, the hardest part of the game
is the end credits. Damn, man, that mask is uncontrolable.
)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Bot and Man marriages are legal in Canada but not same-sex marriage?

THANKS OBAMA

Gay marriage and bot marriage have been legal in Canada since 2005. The former due to just standard changes, the latter due to a desire to get more filming done in Ontario and British Columbia.

You can't however marry a snowman. Especially not 780mm tall Snowman, that's double illegal.

congrats :)

Considering "Metroidvania" means almost jack shit nowadays. I'm wary of posts like this. ;)

No offense.

Be wary all you want.
Drinkbox makes FANTASTIC games. I bought all their games on PC once ported even though I already owned them on PSN... and that would be why I bought 5 copies to give out as gifts when it won the flash sale. :p

Scum

Congrats, Stump!

congrats dude. Enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom