• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec

Trying to get cards but actually play the games while I do it and wow. Valley without wind makes it worth braving the strange gameplay because of it's fantastic music. Seriously impressive.

Example

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ugh I want it at that price! Damn my money currently being in Steam wallet. Wallet was stolen with my credit card etc so I had to resort to getting Steam wallet cards from EB.

For those confused. Australian, would normally get a friendly GAFfer from the US to assist.

That's rough. Ever since I almost lost $50 and later found it while backtracking -- I kid you not -- pressed up against some weeds in rather strong wind I've been super paranoid about losing my wallet, haha. Has EB hiked up the price of the $50 cards to $60 yet? I really wish Valve would expand them to JB HiFi or ideally a supermarket chain like Big W.

Miker

I wanted to like Metro 2033 so badly, but I don't think it played particularly well. I got stuck at a point where I had to sneak past some guards in a tunnel, but it check pointed me right as I got caught, which led to me getting in a gunfight against unbeatable odds. I tried that section so many times, trying to run away and restealth it, and trying to shoot my way out, but both were impossible. I just stopped there because I wasn't having that much fun with it.

Garcia

Btw, I downloaded the first Trine Demo and it only took me 2 minutes to decide it was a must buy and added it to my wishlist. The gameplay is extremely responsive and smooth which is what I'm looking for these days. Any heads up for the game?

awesome! I hope you like it

Will let you know for sure. I'm already downloading it. :D

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I wanted to like Metro 2033 so badly, but I don't think it played particularly well. I got stuck at a point where I had to sneak past some guards in a tunnel, but it check pointed me right as I got caught, which led to me getting in a gunfight against unbeatable odds. I tried that section so many times, trying to run away and restealth it, and trying to shoot my way out, but both were impossible. I just stopped there because I wasn't having that much fun with it.

I love Metro, but that level got me too. For a game that I had snuck around in most of the time, that level forces you to basically cheese the game and take on waves of guys. It's the only mission like that, but I don't blame you for getting frustrated.

Question for you guys!

In 2014, I have a goal to complete 200 games before the end of the year. I decided to start making a chart of games to aim to complete. I have a lot to play, so my question to you guys is to recommend some games you think I should play and beat next year that I currently own: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/games/?tab=all&sort=name

Thank you very much for anyone who gives me some opinions. Recommend anything on the list, even if it said I have played it before, as I do want to replay a few things and some are only partial or were me idling for cards or something.

based on your horror interests: vampire bloodlines, bioshock, dead rising 2, the dead spaces and the amnesias are a must. also the following games which have at lease some elements of horror in them at certain points:

system shock 2
fallout 3 and new vegas (especially new vegas' dead money dlc)
post mortem, still life 1 and 2
the stalker games
i have no mouth and i must scream

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Btw, I downloaded the first Trine Demo and it only took me 2 minutes to decide it was a must buy and added it to my wishlist. The gameplay is extremely responsive and smooth which is what I'm looking for these days. Any heads up for the game?

Will let you know for sure. I'm already downloading it. :D

Play it with friends :3

Less than 14 minutes to go for one lucky GAFer to not suffer from starvation

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Don't Starve -- MB-419C49D5A4D32A4F - Taken by StAidan. 47 entrants total.

t1388206698z1.png

Miker

I love Metro, but that level got me too. For a game that I had snuck around in most of the time, that level forces you to basically cheese the game and take on waves of guys. It's the only mission like that, but I don't blame you for getting frustrated.

Yeah, it's too bad, because I was enjoying the atmosphere up until then. Was playing with Russian audio and English subs, too, which was awesome.

How many games do you have guys have installed vs. owned?

Right now I'm at 75/210.

I try and keep only the games I'm currently playing installed, along with a category called "Always" that consists of multiplayer games and skirmish-based games like Civ. So about 10-15/200ish?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Right now I'm at 75/210.

262/2236 (or 2244 if you include software). So basically 1/10th, rounding up. Most of the games are just holdovers from when I had my entire library installed (which was well before I started "collecting"), though.

Turfster

Question for you guys!

In 2014, I have a goal to complete 200 games before the end of the year. I decided to start making a chart of games to aim to complete. I have a lot to play, so my question to you guys is to recommend some games you think I should play and beat next year that I currently own: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/games/?tab=all&sort=name

Thank you very much for anyone who gives me some opinions. Recommend anything on the list, even if it said I have played it before, as I do want to replay a few things and some are only partial or were me idling for cards or something.
Okay, here goes, in alphabetical order:
  • Alpha protocol: It's wonky, but it should be applauded for what it tried to do, and it can be fun if you play it with the right build
  • Antichamber: Puzzler that can do your head in, but is interesting nonetheless
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum: Looks like you didn't finish this one (or the times are just wrong)
  • Bothers: A short game, but really worth it for the story and the emotions
  • Bulletstorm: Amazingly fun shooter, sadly suffering from all the people focusing on the over the top script
  • Deus Ex & Deus Ex Human Revolution: the obvious choices
  • Dishonored: A modern spiritual sequel to Thief, probably closer than we'll get with Thi4f
  • F.E.A.R.: A milestone in first person shooters
  • FTL: <insert picture of dog playing game here>
  • Gunpoint: Short but amazing game, with mulitple branching pathways
  • Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis: The real fourth Indy movie
  • Mark of the Ninja: Great 2D stealth platformer
  • Marlow Briggs: Incredibly polished B-movie God of Uncharted. I had lots of fun.
  • Monkey Island 2: Still one of the best adventure games ever made. Hell, it's burned into my memory so hard I can finish it to completion from memory.
  • Papers, please: It's not for everyone, but it's an amazing experience
  • Prince of Persia games: Sands of Time and the recent remake are both worth playing if you haven't yet.
  • Proteus: An extremely relaxing experience
  • Psychonauts: Fun platformer with excellent Tim Schafer writing
  • Remember me: Great art directon, great music, good story. The gameplay lets the game down slightly, but it's still worth playing through.
  • Saints row: the third: Better than the latest GTA games, and much more fun
  • Sleepydogs: There's no wei you haven't played this yet, right?
  • Spec Ops the Line: interesting exploration of gameplay as storytelling
  • Stacking: Fun little puzzle platformer
  • Star Wars KOTOR 1 & 2: Classic Star Wars experiences as RPGs
  • System Shock 2: It's a classic for a reason
  • Tales from Space:Mutant Blob Attack: Fun and short puzzle platformer
  • Thief II: Still the king of stealth games
  • Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines: Amazing experience and great RPG
  • Waking Mars: Who knew space botany could be so much fun?

Stuff to avoid:
  • Aliens Colonial Marines: Just say no
  • A new beginning: Hamfisted adventure game with a bad translation, horrible voice acting, archaic puzzle design and a hamfisted eco-message
  • Velvet Assassin: The game designers dug up the corpse of an actual heroine and did unspeakable things to it

Garcia

Our house has become a Cook, Serve, Delicious house.

Thanks Chubs.

Up to this point it was a Civ 5 house, that was causing some marital problems cause she was an underhanded sneak.

It's already in my wishlist thanks to the overwhelmingly good feedback I've seen.

Has Super Meat Boy been featured as a flash sale yet?

BBboy20

I bought Skullgirls out of support for Lab and a way of saying "screw you" to Konami after that scenario (even so Lab manage to pull through with a new console version without Konami's death grip).

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Alright, interesting. I have to make sure I don't go over my family's bandwidth cap, but there's something very exciting about having a bunch of games just a click away. :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Right now I'm at 75/210.

66/1485. The best part about Steam is that I can uninstall / reinstall things at will.

Wookieomg

Modbot broke 10,000 giveaways some time over the last two days.

Also I got engaged, which I am optimistically looking at as an excuse to play through my backlog since I'm broke as hell and won't have any money for gaming for the next year or so LOL.

In voting related news, Universe Sandbox is really cool if you basically want a toy to model the universe. I like fast-forwarding through time and watch all of the planets get ejected from the solar system.

Was catching up on the thread from like 10 pages ago and read this. A hearty congratulations to you Stump! :D

That's rough. Ever since I almost lost $50 and later found it while backtracking -- I kid you not -- pressed up against some weeds in rather strong wind I've been super paranoid about losing my wallet, haha. Has EB hiked up the price of the $50 cards to $60 yet? I really wish Valve would expand them to JB HiFi or ideally a supermarket chain like Big W.

Still $55. But sounds like something EB Games would do. Other then a situation like mine I don't see a reason to buy them from EB anymore. But I guess it's understandable, why would they sell something for $0 profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom