• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Just looked up Gone Home after reading this, now I really want that game, X-Files is my fav show of all time

It's not a huge part of the game mind you. Just a little inclusion. One part of an atmosphere they're attempting to build and they do it expertly.

There's a reason everyone is talking about it in GOTY lists.

Sianos

Cook, Serve, Delicious ABSOLUTELY needs to go on deep discount again. The amount of positive word of mouth it's gotten since yesterday is insane. Everyone is talking about it.

I'm really hoping it lands a daily, its the surprise hit of the sale!

jmizzal

It's not a huge part of the game mind you. Just a little inclusion. One part of an atmosphere they're attempting to build and they do it expertly.

There's a reason everyone is talking about it in GOTY lists.

ok but I did grow up in the 90's so that is a good thing

2VLsez3.png

Like WTF honestly.

Because if it's one thing that kills my boner for a diner sim, it's the locked framerate.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Is there a bug with the top sales of steam? I cant believe DayZ survived being #1 since the beginning of the sales. Crazy if true, that team must be freaking proud.

So what games have you double dipped? I guess this only applies to those who shifted from console to PC or who are also into IOS gaming.

So far:
- Hotline Miami
- SC Chaos Theory
- BLEED
- The Walking Dead
- One Finger Death Punch
- Kairo
- Dark Souls
- Vector
- Stealth Bastard
- Organ Trail

Looking at State of Decay next. Still haven't finished Bioshock so I might get that on PC too

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Someone from GAF added me to their friends list the other day and then defriended me when I was last offline I think. They didn't speak to me once. Not that I really give a shit, as I'm not all that familiar with the poster, but who the hell actually does that lol.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Has Papers, Please been a daily/flash at all yet? Seeing it talked about so much recently but I wasn't looking for it at all before.

Dec

Because if it's one thing that kills my boner for a diner sim, it's the locked framerate.

He isn't complaining about low framerates in the way that I think people think he is. 60 fps is what people like because most monitors are 60hz, so the monitor refreshes at the same rate as your GPU is giving it frames. He is complaining about 30fps on a 144hz monitor, I'm sure he is seeing some really jittery movement in the game (much worse than 30fps on a 60hz monitor).

From what I've seen of the game it is probably relatively minor still, but I guess stuff bothers some people more than others.

NotSelf

Just finished playing through the first dungeon of Anodyne so far it's charming the music fits well with the visuals not in love with it but will play some more tomorrow.

Wookieomg

So I was sitting here looking at DayZ's home page and it lists the current number of survivors (purchasers) of the game, sitting around 586,000. I was really curious about what Steam's cut of the sales are for games on the platform? And are early access titles different?

Cause it seems like they've made millions just in these first few days. It's remarkable.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So I was sitting here looking at DayZ's home page and it lists the current number of survivors (purchasers) of the game, sitting around 586,000. I was really curious about what Steam's cut of the sales are for games on the platform? And are early access titles different?

Cause it seems like they've made millions just in these first few days. It's remarkable.

Valve takes 30% across the board. 586,000 x $30 minus Valve's 30% cut = ~$12.3m.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Super Hexagon is such a weird beast. I feel like I've played so much of it, but my play time for the Steam version is only 16 minutes currently. Even with the 15 or so other minutes I've given it in Offline mode that for some reason wasn't recorded, it's not very much at all. I guess when the play sessions are only a few seconds up to 25 seconds, it fools me.

Also maybe I should really get better at it. Either that or play regular Hexagon mode rather than trying just Hexagonest right from the start.

denx

So what games have you double dipped? I guess this only applies to those who shifted from console to PC or who are also into IOS gaming.

So far:
- Hotline Miami
- SC Chaos Theory
- BLEED
- The Walking Dead
- One Finger Death Punch
- Kairo
- Dark Souls
- Vector
- Stealth Bastard
- Organ Trail

Looking at State of Decay next. Still haven't finished Bioshock so I might get that on PC too

I haven't had a console in ages, but I've definitely double dipped with some games across different digital distributors.

Off the top of my head:
- Mirror's Edge (Steam / Origin)
- Alice Madness Returns (Steam / Origin)
- Wizardry 6, 7 and 8 (Steam / GOG)
- Deus Ex (Steam / GOG)
- Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams (Steam / GOG)
- Psychonauts (Steam / GOG)
- Capsized (Steam / GOG)
- Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics (Steam / GOG. Although I didn't really double dip on these since I got them for free on GOG.)

And a bunch of others that I'm forgetting I'm sure.

Jawmuncher

Super Hexagon is such a weird beast. I feel like I've played so much of it, but my play time for the Steam version is only 16 minutes currently. Even with the 15 or so other minutes I've given it in Offline mode that for some reason wasn't recorded, it's not very much at all. I guess when the play sessions are only a few seconds up to 25 seconds, it fools me.

Also maybe I should really get better at it. Either that or play regular Hexagon mode rather than trying just Hexagonest right from the start.

I believe offline mode is never recorded for some reason.
Is a bit lame that it does that. My agarest war time looks like I never beat it.

That's a crazy number, good for them.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Super Hexagon you say; added you.

While I added you, if you'll accept my request.
Seems I'll soon have just as many Super Hexagon friends as I do Zen Pinball friends.

I believe offline mode is never recorded for some reason.
Is a bit lame that it does that. My agarest war time looks like I never beat it.

Well that is rather daft. There is no reason it shouldn't be able to simply record the time spent offline and then add it to the count once one goes back online. That's been a rather basic ability since the early days of first electronic chess games.

Grief.exe

That isn't even the total sales. So many people purchase a game then don't play it, the survivor value only reflects those who have logged into a server

Oreoleo

Valve takes 30% across the board. 586,000 x $30 minus Valve's 30% cut = ~$12.3m.

You can buy it straight from the DayZ/Bohemia Interactive website so it's not quite that clear cut. But yeah. Lots of money.

That's probably true, I was wondering why the DayZ number of active players on Steam wasn't skyrocketing with it staying at #1 for so long, it's stayed within a range for the last several days.
Anecdotally, I pretty much play the game exclusively with my room mate and he's out of town for the holidays so I haven't touched it since the 23rd and I'm sure we're not alone.

Not to mention the game is super light on content right now so people are probably putting it down until some more updates are in the pipeline.

That's probably true, I was wondering why the DayZ number of active players on Steam wasn't skyrocketing with it staying at #1 for so long, it's stayed within a range for the last several days.

Garcia

It is definitely an amazing beast of a game. It is extremely intimidating at first but the game pushes you further and further in order to get better and before you know it you've already completed a level. I'm completely in love with it.

Super Hexagon you say; added you.

Excellent, added you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom