• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
As am I. Though moments like reaching 59.99 seconds and ... crashing (is that the term I should be using when I fail?) is a terribly crushing feeling. Who knew a simple two button controlled game to techno music can be as rewarding and as defeating as Demon's Souls/Dark Souls?

denx

I guess people who love Super Hexagon play it with a touchpad? I've played it on PC with a keyboard and the game is so clunky and unintuitive to control and play. I can see the appeal but I really don't like it since most of the time it seems the game is screwing me over with its controls. I'd like it a whole lot more if it was mouse driven.

Cth

Wait.. DayZ is the good developer who did Arma, not those scammers who made WarZ or whatever, right?

If so, I'm going to be kicking myself.

I can't believe I missed that..

-MD-

Wait.. DayZ is the good developer who did Arma, not those scammers who made WarZ or whatever, right?

DayZ is the real deal. WarZ was the ripoff.

Garcia

As am I. Though moments like reaching 59.99 seconds and ... crashing (is that the term I should be using when I fail?) is a terribly crushing feeling. Who knew a simple two button controlled game to techno music can be as rewarding and as defeating as Demon's Souls/Dark Souls?

I dig what you mean. It certainly has that Dark Souls vibe going on. You feel weak and stupid at the beginning and end up mastering the game. Extremely rewarding.

I guess people who love Super Hexagon play it with a touchpad? I've played it on PC with a keyboard and the game is so clunky and unintuitive to control and play. I can see the appeal but I really don't like it since most of the time it seems the game is screwing me over with its controls. I'd like it a whole lot more if it was mouse driven.

Keyboard input ain't that bad actually. I tried playing it with a gamepad and I wouldn't really recommend it.
Haven't gone the touchpad way though.

Also: Windowed Super Hexagon = Best Super Hexagon. I tried going fullscreen at the beginning and almost had a seizure, lol.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

You are correct! Also is the standalone separate from the mod? I haven't played in quite a while so I haven't been following.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

You can play it with a two button mouse. Left button goes left, right button goes right, space as the "confirm" button. It's the next best thing to the touch screen controls of the iOS version.

Cth

Oh crap, I got the two mixed up as well.

I never got to play the original mod (was waiting for a price drop, and by that time they announced DayZ was nearing completion)

So I forgot about it, thinking it'd be a while before it showed up.

Grief.exe

God damn that is impressive. Do they hold the record for the most successful early access title on Steam? Those are pretty stellar sales.

Starbound had 100,000+ concurrent players, difficult to compare as the majority of those were pre-order sales.

What blows my mind about DayZ is it is the top revenue generating game for the entirety of the Steam sale.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So what games have you double dipped? I guess this only applies to those who shifted from console to PC or who are also into IOS gaming.

So far:
- Hotline Miami
- SC Chaos Theory
- BLEED
- The Walking Dead
- One Finger Death Punch
- Kairo
- Dark Souls
- Vector
- Stealth Bastard
- Organ Trail

Looking at State of Decay next. Still haven't finished Bioshock so I might get that on PC too

From a cursory glance at my pile of console games (and the couple of games I recall buying on XBLA):

- Alan Wake (X360, PC)
- Alan Wake's American Nightmare (XBLA, PC)
- Assassin's Creed (PS3, PC)
- Assassin's Creed II (PS3, PC)
- Batman: Arkham Asylum* (PS3, PC)
- Bionic Commando (PS3, PC)
- BioShock (PS3, PC)
- BioShock 2 (PS3, PC)
- Braid (XBLA, PC)
- Call of Duty: World at War (PS3, PC)
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3, PC)
- Dark Sector (PS3, PC)
- Dead Space (PS3, PC)
- FEAR + expansions (X360, PC)
- FEAR 2 (PS3, PC)
- Gears of War (X360, PC)
- GTA: Episodes from Liberty City (X360, PC)
- Just Cause (X360, PC)
- Mass Effect (X360, PC)
- Mirror's Edge (PS3, PC)
- Prince of Persia 2009 (PS3, PC)
- Prototype (PS3, PC)
- The Orange Box (X360, PC)
- Tomb Raider: Underworld (PS3, PC)
- Unreal Tournament 3 (PS3, PC)
- Various Lego games (PS3, PC)

* Standard on PS3, GOTY on PC.

On the PC itself, excluding indie bundles:

- Aquaria (developer's website, Steam)
- Alice: Madness Returns (retail, Steam)

On Steam itself (excluding betas/test versions, remakes and the Blood Bowl games):

- American Mensa Academy/Mensa Academy (NA version/EU version)
- Batman: Arkham City (standard version, GOTY version)
- Battle vs Chess/Check vs Mate) (E version/NA version)
- Borderlands 2 (RU version, rest-of-world version)
- Cities XL (standard version, Limited Edition)
- Company of Heroes + expansions (original versions, "New Steam Version")
- Dawn of Magic 2/Time of Shadows (EU version/NA version)
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution + The Missing Link (standard versions, Director's Cut)
- Dishonored (RU version, rest-of-world version)
- Divinity 2 (Ego Draconis, The Dragon Knight Saga, Developer's Cut)
- Doom 3 (standard version, BFG Edition)
- Dragon Age: Origins + Awakening (standard versions, Ultimate Edition)
- Duke Nukem Forever (RU version, rest-of-world version)
- Dwarfs!? (original version, F2P version [via DLC purchases])
- East India Company + expansions (original versions, Gold Edition)
- Fallout 3 (original version, GOTY Edition)
- Fallout: New Vegas (RU version, rest-of-world version)
- Final Fantasy XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition (NA version, EU version)
- Football Manager 2012 (RU version, rest-of-world version)
- Football Manager 2013 (RU version, rest-of-world version)
- Governor of Poker (standard version, Premium Edition)
- King Arthur + expansion (standard versions, Collection)
- Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (standard version, Colonies Edition)
- Mafia 2 (JP version, rest-of-world version)
- Majesty: Gold Edition (original version, HD)
- Majesty 2 (original version, Collection)
- Max Payne (FR version, IT version, RU version, rest-of-world version)
- Max Payne 2 (DE version, IT version, RU version, rest-of-world version)
- Street Fighter IV (original version, SSFIV:AE)
- Take on Helicopters (RU version, rest-of-world version)
- Tom Clancy's HAWX 2 (NA version, EU version)
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (NA version, EU version)

I've probably missed some stuff here and there, but that'd be most of it, I'd say.

Cth

Anyone have any left over Skullgirls from a 4 pack? I couldn't find anyone before I had to go to work and missed the sale.

I can't imagine making soups during the frenzy of rush hour.

I almost bought them because they seemed appealing, but it'll take some practice before I can prepare them quickly enough.

I bought it because they have the rainy day bonus, but man, will take some time getting used to, lots of ingredients.

Grief.exe

Hey Grief what do you know about X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Spiderman Shattered Dimensions being added to Steam registry some time ago? I found this thread on the Steam Forums

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743000

I'll look into it.

fucking frogs in don't starve! HOW DO YOU DIE TO A FROG

I used to like to set up my camps near a bunch of ponds so I could easily capture and produce frog legs to satisfy my hunger.

As I quickly found out, this is a horrible idea. Frogs decrease your sanity at an alarming rate and you quickly go insane. The better strategy is to go fishing in those ponds, all drys up in winter though.

JaseC

Hey Grief what do you know about X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Spiderman Shattered Dimensions being added to Steam registry some time ago? I found this thread on the Steam Forums

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743000

There's nothing in the sub/app history to suggest that's Wolverine. Acti was intending to release Shattered Dimensions, though. I say "was" because if you look at the app history you'll see it's just littered with general backend changes rather than updates specific to the app itself.

Just finished Saints Row 4 and.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

How did this get 9s all over the place? I'm glad I don't bother with reviews anymore.

Oh hey, I won Bad Rats. That cheered me up a bit.
Reviewers liked Saint's Row 1. Saint's Row 1. Game was a mess on a technical level (heavy screen-tearing galore for instance) with a framerate that constantly fluctuated, tons of graphical bugs on top of ugly aesthetics, the competitive online multiplayer was functionally broken, the co-op boiled down to moving around crates in small area's, the controls (and especially the shooting) felt like there was no weight behind anything, its 'sense of humor' was juvenile (not even the good kind) with the lowest possible standards before they went with the cuh-raaaaazy over-the-top route, an overworld (and storyline + characters for that matter) with nothing remotely interesting in it in any way, ...

Damn near miraculous the series grossed as many sales as it did today when the original is unbelievably bad and ridiculously unpolished on multiple levels. People really were that desperate for the "GTA killer" on Xbox 360. Enough to not trust any website when they discuss the next sequel from this franchise.

I'll look into it.

I used to like to set up my camps near a bunch of ponds so I could easily capture and produce frog legs to satisfy my hunger.

As I quickly found out, this is a horrible idea. Frogs decrease your sanity at an alarming rate and you quickly go insane. The better strategy is to go fishing in those ponds, all drys up in winter though.

Thank you my friend!

There's nothing in the sub/app history to suggest that's Wolverine. Acti was intending to release Shattered Dimensions, though.

But the guy in the steam forum said that the name was changed.

Wookieomg

Starbound had 100,000+ concurrent players, difficult to compare as the majority of those were pre-order sales.

What blows my mind about DayZ is it is the top revenue generating game for the entirety of the Steam sale.

Wow! Also, Starbound had pre-order minimum price of $15, versus DayZ's $30, correct? I suppose there's also the higher tiers of purchases in the Kickstarter and website for Starbound that come into play... Either way, it is a really great showing from two excellent titles.

And yeah, it's pretty wild that nothing on sale so far can bring down this titan. I've been sorely tempted to pick it up this entire sale, but that $30 price point makes my wallet weep quietly to itself... And I never got around to buying/playing the original version with Arma2 either. :(

JaseC

But the guy in the steam forum said that the name was changed.

Is this were the case it would be reflected in the history tab; he's either misremembering or telling porkies. It certainly could be Wolverine but there is absolutely no evidence suggesting as much.

Evo X

Bought Morrowind GOTY. Installed the Morrowind Overhaul 3 mod. Doesn't look half bad. Played Oblivion and Skyrim, but never got around to playing this.

Pretty excited. :)

Garcia

Being a Harvest Moon fan I was wondering if any of you had already played Farming Simulator 2013? Since they're dropping the price by 50% I was wondering if it was actually a decent to good game. I read it can be moded which is a great plus to me.

Tellaerin

Oh boy..
Valve posts Steam Holiday Sale announcements early - Day 11/12 sale leaked

A couple of people already posted about the leak in the thread earlier today, but it doesn't hurt to bring it up again for the folks who missed it. Thanks, man.

More importantly, though, following the link you posted led to me stumbling across the FTL: Advanced Edition preview trailer.

ftlzdsb3.png

I AM EXCITE.

Anteater

Lrn2Kite. Unless there are way too many, in which case just run. Fish sticks are the way to go in crockpot cooking anyway.

I ate too many weird stuff and lost most of my health, so I thought it would be a good idea to smash a frog in the face with my axe that has 1% durability left, D:

Game is great though, and I get to play as Ai Haibara from detective conan.

I'm slowly learning :lol

redfirm

Banned
Wow! Also, Starbound had pre-order minimum price of $15, versus DayZ's $30, correct? I suppose there's also the higher tiers of purchases in the Kickstarter and website for Starbound that come into play... Either way, it is a really great showing from two excellent titles.

And yeah, it's pretty wild that nothing on sale so far can bring down this titan. I've been sorely tempted to pick it up this entire sale, but that $30 price point makes my wallet weep quietly to itself... And I never got around to buying/playing the original version with Arma2 either. :(

Buy it, the price is only gonne go up and its worth it.

Is this were the case it would be reflected in the history tab; he's either misremembering or telling porkies. It certainly could be Wolverine but there is absolutely no evidence suggesting as much.

Exactly, you are right Jase, but in the case of Spiderman Shattered Dimensions the name is unchanged, the question is "when" Acti is gonna release both games (in case they are planning on release Wolverine)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom