• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mairu

I voted for Pool Nation but Snow (Slight issue: It's going to be F2P so it's just access to the alpha and random stuff) might also be interesting if it's half decent.

I ended up voting for Snow but I assume Pool Nation will win due to it being the lowest price. I wouldn't pay for early access to a free to play game but I wasn't really interested in any of the choices

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Steam is being weird, it doesn't recognise when I own a game either on the website or through Steam Client when it comes to store page or in the cart.

Also I would recommend not being fooled by Adventure Time, it's not a good game and just utterly empty of any real substance. At least from a game play perspective and someone who likes dungeon crawlers, I can't speak at all in regards to the show as I pay no attention to that.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams on the other hand is a strong platformer that makes good use of it's "shifting" between two styles to keep you busy. While not the most challenging in terms of platforming skill in the style of Super Mario speed runs or Super Meat Boy, it will satisfy those looking for a PS1/Saturn/Windows 95/98 era type platformer with a twist.

I'm always looking out for snowboarding games so please vote for Snow!

Looks the most interesting of the 3 so it got my vote. One thing I don't get though is how it's "an upcoming free-to-play" and yet it's up for a 50% off sale. Huh? Is there something I'm not getting?

Garcia

Steam is being weird, it doesn't recognise when I own a game either on the website or through Steam Client when it comes to store page or in the cart.

Also I would recommend not being fooled by Adventure Time, it's not a good game and just utterly empty of any real substance. At least from a game play perspective and someone who likes dungeon crawlers, I can't speak at all in regards to the show as I pay no attention to that.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams on the other hand is a strong platformer that makes good use of it's "shifting" between two styles to keep you busy. While not the most challenging in terms of platforming skill in the style of Super Mario speed runs or Super Meat Boy, it will satisfy those looking for a PS1/Saturn/Windows 95/98 era type platformer with a twist.

I'm also downloading the Giana Sisters' demo. Sounds appealing.

Oreoleo

Looks the most interesting of the 3 so it got my vote. One thing I don't get though is how it's "an upcoming free-to-play" and yet it's up for a 50% off sale. Huh? Is there something I'm not getting?

You could probably call it paid beta access but that seems a little reductive to me. Depending on what package you buy you get different items/skins for your character in game and an exclusive event/track for the highest tier. There are no microtransactions in the game as of yet.

FWIW I don't think the game was initially intended to be F2P. I've had my eye on the game for a few months and this is the first I'm hearing of it. I could be wrong though, of course.

Frologic

I believe SNOW is following the DOTA model and charging people to play early access but making the game free at launch. So if you're on the fence about buying, probably best to wait.

_hekk05

Banned
I believe SNOW is following the DOTA model and charging people to play early access but making the game free at launch. So if you're on the fence about buying, probably best to wait.

Since when did you have to pay to play dota 2? I've never paid, and neither has any of my friends. We all had upwards of 30 dota keys lying around all the time.

Dec

Dota never really did that. Later on in the beta they offered a pack of items that gave beta access, but by then they had given so many invites and gift invites that access to the beta was not why you bought that pack.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Giana sisters bundle, yay or nay?

Yay. As I said above, it's a strong platformer in the PS1/Saturn style era of mechanics which makes it quite fun to play. It's gimmick is the ability to switch between a "hot" and "cold" worlds and likewise between the two sisters which alters the world a bit, this is where most of the challenge comes from in the game.

There is a demo, so go ahead and download that and try it out for yourself. I won't lie and say the game is too much more than that, but it's still good fun and will offer enough variety in how the stages are laid out in what you don't see to keep going, plus any sense of completion desire platformers can cause.

I would have enjoyed it back in the day for £30 on my PS1, right there with Kolona and Rayman, for the reduced price now, it's an easy purchase. Not the greatest of it's type and I wouldn't recommend it over Rayman Origins and the like, but it's good and worth the time I spent on it.

Oreoleo

Since when did you have to pay to play dota 2? I've never paid, and neither has any of my friends. We all had upwards of 30 dota keys lying around all the time.

There was definitely a time when Dota2 beta access was going for upwards of $20 on the community market.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Biggest mistake you have ever made. this game is soo bad. /s

im not sure what /s means or if it implies that this is a joke post. If not, to each its own, game looks awesome to me, and Im considering getting it myself

Arksy

Sorry for beating a proverbial dead horse which is so far beyond dead it's back alive again. Only to be beaten dead again, by me.

But those limited edition items for PoE and Warframe...how on earth do we get them?

Oreoleo

Sorry for beating a proverbial dead horse which is so far beyond dead it's back alive again. Only to be beaten dead again, by me.

But those limited edition items for PoE and Warframe...how on earth do we get them?

Collect the 10 snow globe trading cards and craft them into a badge and cross your fingers or buy them on the community market.

Dec

There was definitely a time when Dota2 beta access was going for upwards of $20 on the community market.

Not the same thing. You can buy access to any beta on sites like ebay, but it isn't the only way into the beta, and the dev never charged for them.

Garcia

Guys, I already played Magicka and really liked it but was wondering about the online aspects of it since those were left out of the Demo.

How are the online matches for this one?

_hekk05

Banned

Yeah but that's not valve forcing you to pay 20 bucks to beta dota 2. That's like saying Blizzard is making you pay more than 100 bucks to beta hearthstone.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so this ohhcloud person on steam community comes up as someone with 2 friends and 3 games owned on steam... I smell a beggar

I need to stop acepting every friend request >_>

Oreoleo

Not the same thing. You can buy access to any beta on sites like ebay, but it isn't the only way into the beta, and the dev never charged for them.

Maybe you should have quoted the guy who claimed it WAS the same thing?

Yeah but that's not valve forcing you to pay 20 bucks to beta dota 2. That's like saying Blizzard is making you pay more than 100 bucks to beta hearthstone.

I never said Valve forced anything holy shit you guys.

Dec

Guys, I already played Magicka and really liked it but was wondering about the online aspects of it since those are left out of the Demo.

How are the online matches for this one?

Friendly fire is on all the time which is hilarious. The game is much improved in coop, however it's super buggy, ran into so many loading screen crashes that we put the game down.

Frologic

This was way before Dota keys were being given away to almost every player. There was definitely a price to play the game and it wasn't cheap either. I think it was $30

schuey7

Got guacamelee even though I dont play platformers but the reviews convinced me.Currently really enjoying DmC.Currently voting for Snow ,how is it?

Rhaknar

hmm Giana Sister Rise of the Owlverlord is standalone? at least its showing up as its own entrey in my list

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It got my vote.

saoirse-ronan-hi5-o.gif

hmm Giana Sister Rise of the Owlverlord is standalone? at least its showing up as its own entrey in my list

Yeah.

Rhaknar

Susan Sarandon high fiving someone looks weird :(

also, BLOPS 2 at 50% not being in the top 40 (fourty!) is bizarre, I wonder if the top sellers just arent updated

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Snow is a F2P game. The only reason I'd want to PAY to play it before its even in its release state is to support the developers. And if I wanted to support the developers, I wouldn't need a discount.

Voted for Pool Nation.
Yeah, anyone who wants to buy into the early access of a game that will be F2P because they want to help the developer doesn't need a discount, as it goes against that very idea. Simply being on the community vote is already getting the game its due exposure. I didn't know about it before and I'll definitely check it out when it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom