• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Oh look its Evoland. I was actually trying to think of the name of that game last night. I thought the concept was cool. Anyone who has bought it, how is it?

I asked two (or so) pages back, and two gaffers told me to save the money.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
So just has had an argument with my mother because she found a €25 Paysafecard receipt. I told her some of that money was to give some things to my friends but she said that I had a crooked concept, that friends are only those that are always with you and all that shit. She also said that I already had too many games, why would I want more. How do I explain it to her? -.-
Whose money are you spending, hers or yours? If she gave it to you, was it NOT intended to be leisure money?

If it's her money or she gave it to you with the instructions not to spend it on fun stuff: you basically don't have a leg to stand on
If it's your money or she said "you can spend it on whatever you want!" and is now mad because what you want is games: argue that point, and/or hide your receipts better/destroy them next time

EDIT: also, if you really did give some stuff to your friends and they sent you happy messages because they were super grateful, definitely show her those. most moms like seeing that their kids are generous and, you know, not liars

Tenrius

because if I had the choice to play a 10 man pick up game of basketball or play NBA 2K14, I'll pick the pick up game 10 out 10

I'm not saying this applies to every game. Obviously I'm not going to say "why play shooters, just join the army" or why play an RPG when you can just LARP

but for something like pool? the only reason i could see someone choosing to play a video game instead of the real thing is because they're lazy or just anti-social.

Playing pool and playing a video game about pool are fundamentally different activities. They are not interchangeable.

DasFool

Just got Brothers and yeah really good looking game. I know nothing about it, but GAF yet again sold me on it. I swear all it takes is BUY BROTHERS NOW, and done.
Out of curiosity, how long is the game?

Oh and Dust sure looks good, but is it? Is it a short game?

Dust is an amazing game made by fellow GAF member Noogy. If you like Action RPGs at all, you owe it to yourself to play Dust. It took me 15 hours to 100% the game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I think I'm insane. I've owned Simcity 4 and Rush Hour for over ten years now, and yet seeing it on Steam for $5 makes me want to buy it again simply because I "it's on Steam." I must have hundreds of hours spent in the game, it's installed right now on my PC, and yet I have the urge to buy it, again. Just in case my discs wear out someday.

What's wrong with me....

Wok

Whose money are you spending, hers or yours? If she gave it to you, was it NOT intended to be leisure money?

If it's her money or she gave it to you with the instructions not to spend it on fun stuff: you basically don't have a leg to stand on
If it's your money or she said "you can spend it on whatever you want!" and is now mad because what you want is games: argue that point, and/or hide your receipts better/destroy them next time

This boy has more than 200 games and has almost not played any. The tenth most played games is Borderlands with 3.3 hours. The first is TF2 with 27 hours. Even my parents play more.

EDIT: also, if you really did give some stuff to your friends and they sent you happy messages because they were super grateful, definitely show her those. most moms like seeing that their kids are generous

He gives stuff away via a private group. So I don't know the details, but I understand he might give a lot away.

vg260

Dust is a good game in the genre and looks great. Personally I'd put Guacamelee above it. However, for the price if it looks appealing to you, and you'll actually attempt to play the game it's worth it.

I really wanted Dust and Guacamelee, for my Steam collection, but already played through both consoles, so I had to force myself to pass. This sale is frustrating for me in that regard. I'm at a point where I just don't have the time to play everything I want to, and unless it's something that really strikes a chord with me, I have to pass.

Eusis

04056447aa172289d36bbe12a4d171ac.gif
I'll get Brothers via PS+ (and don't see myself caring about long term ownership there) and Dust is already on 360... though with the 360 playing second fiddle in my setups I probably should double dip there.

Wait, does Brothers work with the DS4 on PS3, or no? Sounds like it's really trigger dependent and I want GOOD ones for that.

I think I'm insane. I've owned Simcity 4 and Rush Hour for over ten years now, and yet seeing it on Steam for $5 makes me want to buy it again simply because I "it's on Steam." I must have hundreds of hours spent in the game, it's installed right now on my PC, and yet I have the urge to buy it, again. Just in case my discs wear out someday.

What's wrong with me....

All according to Gaben's keikaku.

KarmaCow

Sweet Legend of Dungeon is $1.50 on the Humble Store. It's weird that you can buy Humble Bundles with Google Wallet but not in the store proper.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I dont want to "start" anything (really I dont) but how old are people hating Dust and calling it furry and whatnot?

Maybe its because I grew up on

19661.jpg

thundercats.jpg

or

thestory_head.jpg

35610735_1.jpg

Ducktalesmoney.jpg

3662210373_1c9dbd1810.jpg

that Dust's look is completely fine with me... were those things furry too?

Im not judging, Im honestly asking, it seems like a generational thing. I honestly hadnt even heard of furries until recently, and now it seems anything remotely cartoony that isnt a human being must be a furry

Oh look its Evoland. I was actually trying to think of the name of that game last night. I thought the concept was cool. Anyone who has bought it, how is it?
I guess I enjoyed it for a couple of hours, but it's not very good at all.

The concept is fantastic, but it's poorly used (you "evolve" graphic styles like, seven times right at once and then are stuck with that for most of the game instead of being gradual). And then the "evolution" is just graphics, they never actually evolve gameplay. It's also trying to be two completely different games, an action-adventure title and a JRPG Final Fantasy VII. It abruptly switches between the two and neither of them are done well (the RPG sections in particular are rancid).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom