• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Seriously, Naruto looks like an awesome furry game.

four-tailed-fox.jpg

Confirmed!

How far into Brothers am I?
Just clered the troll cave and now am in some woods with wolves

Eanan

Its really split down the middle, there are plenty of fans of the AC series in the PC threads on GAF.

My dislike for the series is well known, but I can see why people enjoy them. That gif is both ridiculous and brings a smile to my face, thought I would use it.

Thats fair enough, but the second and third one are definitely worth checking out for anyone on the fence on the series. If like yourself, you didn't like the other games then you probably wont like the second and third regardless as iots just the gameplay and pacing that was much better in those two games, but they really peaked at Brotherhood I think. But Ubisoft gotta whore out that cash cow.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I feel the Assassin's Creed series is mediocre as a whole, with II and maybe Brotherhood passing as good. I liken them to a blockbuster film. No thought required to play the game, just sit back and see the action.

Caerith

To pick at your brain a bit, why do they look like you'd find them dumb and boring?
From what I've seen (let's plays, quick looks, etc), the gameplay looks rather repetitive and does not require much effort to just roll through the story until it's done.

I had pretty much decided to give up on the franchise after I hated the first game until a friend forced me to play AC2. Think you should reserve judgement until you've tried it out at least tbh.
See, the first game looked the most compelling to me-- its actual execution didn't wow me enough to get into it, but it seems the series got away from what I had hoped it would become: a historical game of Hitman.

Well you convinced me that they're actually good. I can't argue against any of your detailed explanations of the gameplay, exploration, and story.
I could care less about the story or narrative or missions. I enjoyed 3 and 4's combat in a simple but satisfying to execute kind of way.

What makes AC for me, and why I like to see the series continue, is exploring these historical open worlds, locations and eras that are rarely ever seen in games. Being a history buff, being able to walk through Rome or along the shores of Tortuga, see Damacus on the horizon or be in the midst of Bunker Hill, are immersive experiences that can't be found in any other game, movie, or book.

As long as they keep bringing these eras to life, I'll be a fan of the series

Derrick01

Banned
Pretty hard to properly counter an argument which is simply "Best game in an atrocious franchise."

I've explained why the AC games are terrible beyond counting. The best part is you can go back and find my criticism of any of the games and it'll count for all of them. I should just write a single long "review" for it then copy and paste it every year to match Ubi's copy and paste games.

I like the Assassin's Creed series to an extent. It's just kind of a dumb fun; I know it's shallow but I don't care as I like the parkour stuff and using the hidden blades is just fun. The sheer amount of collectibles and stuff to do appeals to my OCD completionist side as well. A friend actually gifted me AC2 which I lost because it was originally on my now sold Xbox, so I'm looking forward to playing it again sometime. I really want Black Flag too, but not at its current price.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I've explained why the AC games are terrible beyond counting.

you mean you've explained why YOU THINK the AC games are terrible beyond counting.

Wait, what am I doing getting in the middle of this... nevermind what I said, do your thing.

So I haven't technically been spoiled on how the story in Brothers goes, but I'm guessing it's the fairly obvious
one of the brothers dies at the end
from everyone talking about it. Is it still worth playing knowing that?

Edit: this is my speculation only and I might be wrong.

If the only thing to the game were a cliche and predictable twist then it wouldn't be getting the praise that it has been.

kris.

Banned
is Dark Souls realistically playable with a kb+m or is a controller essential?

also why in the hell don't i have a controller yet?

The default KB/M controls are notoriously awful, although there are some mods that supposedly make the experience better. You should really get a controller.

Rhaknar

Doom 3 BFG is useless if you own the original (and mod it) correct?

Necrovex

you mean you've explained why YOU THINK the AC games are terrible beyond counting.

Wait, what am I doing getting in the middle of this... nevermind what I said, do your thing.

Well it's default his opinion every time he shits on the series. He hasn't declared his opinion as fact...I hope.

Not recommended because:

1. The Kb+M controlls for this port aren't very well done.
2. Kb+M controlls are subpar and not intended for Dark Souls. The controlls were designed from ground up for controller only. You would be inferior to someone who plays it with a gamepad.

Controller mandatory, in my opinion.

hohoXD123

I've explained why the AC games are terrible beyond counting. The best part is you can go back and find my criticism of any of the games and it'll count for all of them. I should just write a single long "review" for it then copy and paste it every year to match Ubi's copy and paste games.

Well you can't exactly expect people to check your post history and find these criticisms before replying :/

Caerith

This is the Steam thread. A lot of people are PC-only gamers, you know.

I don't have a PS3, but I have a DS3 controller

Never used it. It's still in the box.

I know. What I mean is most people when they talk about a controller for PC refer to the 360 pad. There's no official support for DS3s and all the button prompts in PC games are 360 prompts. So, if he's saying he doesn't have a controller, it follows he doesn't have a 360.

Maybe he has a PS3, and maybe he doesn't know he can use its DS3 with his PC.

Maybe he doesn't. Hence why I ask.

Haunted

So, whats so great about the Sword of the Stars: The Pit - Gold Edition vs just getting the regular game for $6 cheaper?
Gold Edition has the two DLC packages included, but you can live without them, especially with that price difference.

Just buy the core game, it's meaty enough.

Prelithe

Guys, I'm going to get an SSD in the next week or so and will reinstall my OS on there. Will I need to use the Steam backup tools to backup my installed games, or can I just backup the Steam library and copy it back in once I've reinstalled Steam? Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom