• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS4-

Guys, I'm going to get an SSD in the next week or so and will reinstall my OS on there. Will I need to use the Steam backup tools to backup my installed games, or can I just backup the Steam library and copy it back in once I've reinstalled Steam? Cheers.

I had my games installed on the non ssd, but I backed up certain ones anyway. Wiped 7 from my SSD and replaced it with 8, reinstalled steam...and my games were still there. Wasted 5-10 mins on making backups that I didn't need.

Of course I did lose save files though, which was my fault.

Guys, I'm going to get an SSD in the next week or so and will reinstall my OS on there. Will I need to use the Steam backup tools to backup my installed games, or can I just backup the Steam library and copy it back in once I've reinstalled Steam? Cheers.

You save your "steamapps" folder with all your games in, located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps

Save only that folder.

When you reinstall Steam, simply copy your steamapps folder back into the directory and check the file integrity with Steam. Done.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Loch Ness Monster knockin' at your door.

post-11756-I-Understood-That-Reference-gi-PzDh.gif

You save your "steamapps" folder with all your games in, located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps

Save only that

When you reinstall Steam, simply copy your common folder back into the directory and check the file integrity with Steam. Done.

good to know when i get a new labtop next year i dont have to reinstall everything

kris.

Banned
Do you not have a PS3? It's incredibly simple to use DS3s with PC games.

i've got one but i don't like using it with my PC at all. half the time it doesn't even work properly. might just find a cheap wired 360 controller to use online somewhere. they shouldn't be too expensive

Milchmann

Save only that folder.

When you reinstall Steam, simply copy your steamapps folder back into the directory and check the file integrity with Steam. Done.

You should also save the folder userdata. Many games put their saves and settings there.

Hey I actually got a new SSD today too, though in my case I already had one for OS and this one will be just for games. From what I remember in the past with reformats and moving Steam around, if you preserve the steamapps directory Steam initially didn't show any games as installed for me but when I went to play games I know were there it would verify and "install" it without redownloading or anything.

Prelithe

I had my games installed on the non ssd, but I backed up certain ones anyway. Wiped 7 from my SSD and replaced it with 8, reinstalled steam...and my games were still there. Wasted 5-10 mins on making backups that I didn't need.

Of course I did lose save files though, which was my fault.

Save only that folder.

Hey I actually got a new SSD today too, though in my case I already had one for OS and this one will be just for games. From what I remember in the past with reformats and moving Steam around, if you preserve the steamapps directory Steam initially didn't show any games as installed for me but when I went to play games I know were there it would verify and "install" it without redownloading or anything.

Thanks guys, should be simple then.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
these sales always seem to last 5 days too long or something. Should be 1 week tops. Really runs out of steam (no pun intended) about a week and half in, as the thread demonstrates :(

nai

It is very zen. If you played ICO you will definitely enjoy Brothers due to its relaxed and contemplative nature. I'm glad I picked it up.
Never played ICO actually, but the game looks amazing. I really like the art style from what I've seen.

Rhaknar

have I said Brothers is very pretty? Also it has
the nicest trolls ever in a videogame

Garcia

Never played ICO actually, but the game looks amazing. I really like the art style from what I've seen.

Brothers does look amazing, it is pure eye candy. Since you haven't experienced ICO please consider playing if you end up enjoying Brothers. It is one of the best (silent) adventure/tales you could possibly play.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Game looks pretty solid and not looking to go F2P for a long time. The other choices weren't exactly stellar candidates.
Snow apparently wasn't, either. At least Pool Nation would have been cheaper and the money spent on it would have gone toward more than just cosmetic DLC.

Though FloatingDivider, if you read this, you accidentally posted your review as "Recommended" with a thumbs-up. You should change it to "Not Recommended" with the thumbs-down since we can actually do that now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Snow is A-OK. Not a lot of content yet including sound
WTF?
but has promise.

Games without sound are a little too "Early Access" for me, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom