• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

Oh wow, Trials Evolution's PC performance is absolutely terrible. I'd heard it was bad, but I risked it anyway. I shouldn't have. I don't know if it's the fault of Uplay or just the game itself, but it can't even load textures properly - frequently when restarting a track the textures will take about half a second to pop in.

That's not to mention the frequent slowdown, and just general poor performance in menus etc. I'm also getting the problem of the game taking ages to give control back to the mouse when pressing alt-tab, although that could be an issue with the beta DS4 drivers I'm using - need to test without the controller, but given how it performs the rest of the time, I'd bet it's the game.

So disappointing. RedLynx even did a tech interview about it with Eurogamer when the 360 version came out - and given it started as a PC series, they should know better than most how to make a game that at least runs properly. My PC isn't the best specs wise by any means, but it still should have more than enough power to run a game which ran fine on 360 from what I can remember - other console titles, possibly even more demanding ones, run fine. This is just shoddy.

If it goes on sale again and you think, like I did, "The performance can't be that bad, right?" then believe me, it can. Save your money.

BPoole

Finally Brothers is on sale. Bought it.

Unrelated to the Steam Sale, but I got AC4 and Splinter Cell Blacklist for $25 on ebay.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I think I played 2hrs of Dust already. It's a really great game! It definitely was worth the wait for it to go on sale. If it really is 8hrs (I heard 12+ if all the sidequests are done), then I can tell I'm going to have a lot of fun playing it.

I'm already loving the combat, presentation, and I'm starting to get into the story.
It took me around twenty hours, haven't 100%ed it, but almost.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
sale season needs to end so we can go back to getting 34 new bundles every week

Prelithe

Oh wow, Trials Evolution's PC performance is absolutely terrible. I'd heard it was bad, but I risked it anyway. I shouldn't have. I don't know if it's the fault of Uplay or just the game itself, but it can't even load textures properly - frequently when restarting a track the textures will take about half a second to pop in.

That's not to mention the frequent slowdown, and just general poor performance in menus etc. I'm also getting the problem of the game taking ages to give control back to the mouse when pressing alt-tab, although that could be an issue with the beta DS4 drivers I'm using - need to test without the controller, but given how it performs the rest of the time, I'd bet it's the game.

So disappointing. RedLynx even did a tech interview about it with Eurogamer when the 360 version came out - and given it started as a PC series, they should know better than most how to make a game that at least runs properly. My PC isn't the best specs wise by any means, but it still should have more than enough power to run a game which ran fine on 360 from what I can remember - other console titles, possibly even more demanding ones, run fine. This is just shoddy.

If it goes on sale again and you think, like I did, "The performance can't be that bad, right?" then believe me, it can. Save your money.

Ah, that's sad. Was almost in the same boat. Just going to wait for Trials Fusion. What's your graphics card btw?

Garcia

I think I played 2hrs of Dust already. It's a really great game! It definitely was worth the wait for it to go on sale. If it really is 8hrs (I heard 12+ if all the sidequests are done), then I can tell I'm going to have a lot of fun playing it.

I'm already loving the combat, presentation, and I'm starting to get into the story.

I just watched some fragments of a couple of Let's play clips on Youtube and the gameplay looks really appealing. Would you recommend it to Metroidvania fans like myself?

PaulLFC

Ah, that's sad. Was almost in the same boat. Just going to wait for Trials Fusion. What's your graphics card btw?
Only a GTX 460 1GB, it's the main weakpoint of my PC specs wise. Definitely due an upgrade soon when I have the cash.

It's been fine with the majority of multiplatform titles I've played on it, though, so I can only put this down to the poor performance being the game's fault given the other reports of it, some most likely from people with better specs than mine.

Addnan

Only a GTX 460 1GB, it's the main weakpoint of my PC specs wise. Definitely due an upgrade soon when I have the cash.

It's been fine with the majority of multiplatform titles I've played on it, though, so I can only put this down to the poor performance being the game's fault given the other reports of it, some most likely from people with better specs than mine.

It's not your system. A stuttery mess on my 3570K+770 last time I played it.

I think I did it right... have at you!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 30 Steam keys (Origin where stated). To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

English Country Tune -- MB-1D7BBD5404C49323
vRvbDCu.png
The Sims 3 Origin Key via www.thesims3.com -- MB-C3E8ABCDC558F2DE
Oil Rush -- MB-AD6C9656708B35F4
Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-0212884B8D18A60C
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box Origin Key -- MB-EC5D096C9C0FC213
vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Edge Origin Key -- MB-1E51942A74F038B0
Serious Sam Double D -- MB-A6FBD640858DFD44
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-BEC7B56F1027288A
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space Origin Key -- MB-0D40C240A4EFED57
vRvbDCu.png
Populous Origin Key -- MB-8A61811D56728C2E
Splice -- MB-447CDC5211FE8435
Fractal -- MB-DD6959D2A1C1A881
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-56A0F5D6318AFB53
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter -- MB-833AD2E06BD27719
Intake -- MB-1FAAA3C8AC733856
Serious Sam 3 Deluxe -- MB-0DF22E9E95CC2699
Eets Munchies -- MB-0002FB859E5097BB
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-537A2EAC8E48873B
Metro 2033, Risen, and Sacred Citadel -- MB-5C00D129DB4B5CC8
vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor Origin Key -- MB-D64DFEC1B5EBD545
FEZ -- MB-0B807CD172DFDCED - Taken by dot
Intrusion 2 -- MB-4E5378E3C310AE23
Auditorium -- MB-7888997F3274A79D
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-7E408980545315E8
Dear Esther -- MB-7F3E3722C5D719FD
A Virus Named TOM -- MB-7F848E3DEB1E98D6
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-84AAD54F86824994
vRvbDCu.png
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising Origin Key -- MB-269D8093F07C5929
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition Origin Key -- MB-70A22E0BACF9CED2
Serious Sam 2 -- MB-240A7D5EA5675571

t1388279963z1.png

Garcia

Ha! It's the opposite for me, I can only play it in fullscreen.

That's not fair since you're a Hex demigod already Hakku :p. Saw you already beat hyper hexagonest. Can't wait to reach jedi levels of concentration on that game. It is one of my favorite puzzle games ever.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I can't believe this, I won Dark Souls. Thanks Krusenstern!

All right, i'm not entering anymore giveaways for the next few months, I'm feeling kind of dirty now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just watched some fragments of a couple of Let's play clips on Youtube and the gameplay looks really appealing. Would you recommend it to Metroidvania fans like myself?

tumblr_mpjgjdm9Xl1qgly4jo2_500.gif

tumblr_msfpwljJN21sdjeueo1_400.gif

dustearlycombo7mbgoj4i.gif

yes

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

If you're furry and you have $7, I guess.

Did you miss Gucamelee for $4? That would've filled the niche earlier in this sale.

It took me around twenty hours, haven't 100%ed it, but almost.

That's even better! I like long games because it really lets me feel like I spent my money on a game that'll last me a long while.

Most definitely. It's difficult (I'm playing on normal and died a few times because I got hit at least 3-4 times without healing), has a bit of exploring, plenty of sidequests, and the combat feels very good. It also has a leveling system which I really like. Also from what I hear, it's pretty lengthy.

liezryou

Oh my god I didn't expect Van Helsing to be good, but it's really good arpg. this is just what I wanted, too bad i missed out and got the demo and not the game ;_;

I have a spare copy sitting in my inventory, i bought it for a friend then he didn't end up wanting. If you want it, I'll give it to ya for the same as the sale price.

oipic

this is probably a ignorant question, but is that how all 4X games work? I keep trying to get into them (and buying them >_>) but I didnt know they all revolved around skirmishes?

Sins is probably a bit of an oddity in not having any sort of campaign mode - many RTS games do, e.g. Company of Heroes, and the Total War and Dawn of War series (I know I'm forgetting many examples - still only half-way through my morning coffee!)... but essentially, these campaigns are merely a guided story mode of sorts linking together multiple skirmish-like encounters.

Garcia

If you're furry and you have $7, I guess.

Did you miss Gucamelee for $4? That would've filled the niche earlier in this sale.

I already bought Guacamelee and fell in love with the game. Dust looks pretty similar gameplay wise minus all the awesome mexican folklore. I think I'll buy Dust after all :), thanks for those GIFs again Rhaknar.

OFFIS

So disappointing. RedLynx even did a tech interview about it with Eurogamer when the 360 version came out - and given it started as a PC series, they should know better than most how to make a game that at least runs properly.
Redlynx had nothing to do with the pc port, Ubisoft Shanghai did it... it's just a another quick cashgrab by Ubisoft.

Arthea

Who cares? How about anyone who strongly dislikes the basic aesthetics of most/all deviantart style furry/anthropomorphism art? Like it or not, this IS a relevant issue for many people, including myself. Despite that, I went out of my way to ignore my own sensibilities concerning the typically creepy deviantart aesthetic and I bought the game based on the high praise it had received. The first five minutes listening to "Fidget" and her ridiculously cloying voice and dialogue made me regret buying it. I don't need to add a level of repulsive annoyance to a game I am trying to play as a leisure pursuit. Others might feel the same way and choose to wait on buying it until it hits a bundle.

Don't wanna add to your hardships, but you are overdoing it, seriously, if you know you can't tolerate furies at all (and really what about this game is deviantart style? even that alone is insulting, thousands of people use deviantart and they have different styles, not everything on deviantart is creepy and certainly not this game), you shouldn't bought it, high praise or not. I don't like furies and I still like this game.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
LOL...Thanks GraveHorizon. Won Mystery Gift #1..Knew it would be Bad Rats.

Thanks to GraveHorizon for Magicka: Wizard Wars.

I want to thank GraveHorizon for the giveaway that i won. I dont usually enter mystery giveaways lest I end up with Bad Rats in my Library. I must haven entered this one by mistake instead of some other giveaway i meant to enter. Worked out great though! Not only was it NOT Bad Rats, it actually was Kane and Lynch 2 which is a game i've been interested in for awhile.

595.gif

A lot of people entered my giveaway, and it looks like everyone tried for both of the mystery gifts. It's no surprise that the Sonic Racing game was most wanted.
Wl0BahW.png

There's still this helmet something that nobody claimed. Just PM it to ModBot if you want something for free.

Is that worth it? I heard one of the games was really good, but I don't remember which one.

I played the original and thought I could get back into it with some kind of campaign setting. Too bad.

Unrelated reply, but I just have to mention that I always associate your avatar with Dark Souls, despite knowing that it represents some other game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom