• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
Who else has given Shelter a try? Did you like it?

Wasnt quite sure what i was supposed to be doing. Lost one of my young every "level" was eventually sad and alone. Got eaten by a bird.

Enjoyed it, is it possible to "win"? Do i need to keep the little ones alive?

I thought it was really charming though.

Kvik

So I won Mirror's Edge a few days ago. Time to give back just a bit. (There's a small chance this Super Hexagon code won't work for some reason; unlike the other two it's got a "not tradeable" sign in my inventory that says it can't be traded until Jan 23rd, but it generated the gift e-mail just fine. Let's find out!)

Thanks for Don't Starve, dude! :)

Razorskin

----- ------
595.gif

Is that worth it? I heard one of the games was really good, but I don't remember which one.
This game comes with both games. Get it on GOG, the drm on the Steam version is nasty

Steam Stoom in Dutch just looks so weird.

Yeah, especially when half the client is in English and half the client is in Dutch. :lol

Just finished Gone Home. Great little game, did not see that ending coming.
Expected some far more spooky shit when I finally went up that ladder to the attic.

FloatOn

I'm at the end of chapter 8 in Lords of Shadow and the game hangs on the text before entering the level. Patrick Stewart keeps talking but the words on the page stop materializing a quarter of the way through and there is no "press start to continue" prompt at the end of his speach.

I'm verifying the game cache now so I hope that works. Wish me luck.

edit: It worked!

BPoole

Bought Brothers today... almost bought Dust but I just can't get over the furries. Does that make me a bad person?
I wasn't thrilled about the furries either, but they really aren't that bad. Some of them are actually kind of charming, and the story is much better than I was expecting. The combat is a tad repetitive but some of the boss battles are actually pretty clever and fun (not challenging at all though)

Is there any point of no return in Guacamelee?
Nope, you're able to go back into the world after you complete the game. It just saves right before the final boss and you can use those stone things to teleport anywhere else

Curious_George

Neo Member
The only negative thing I have to say about Dust is that I thought the game got easy towards the end

Does the game ever stop being waves of trash mobs per zone? I've played like 45 mins and each zone is littered with trash that's not really enjoyable to kill over and over (they apparently all respawn each time you return) and it seems like you get locked in each section until you kill them. Also, the combat seems kind of spammy although the moves "look" cool. The game looks beautiful though, but I'm not feeling the gameplay so far.

Cth

This Space Intentionally Left Blank!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Medal of Honor -- MB-8D74D677B42B351B - Taken by dreamer3kx

gnomed

Bought Brothers today... almost bought Dust but I just can't get over the furries. Does that make me a bad person?

Yes, you are bad. Imagine not wanting the girl of your dreams only because you found out she takes massive hour long restroom breaks from her corn obsession.

Haven't bought myself yet.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The main problem with this Steam sale is that I keep buying games I kind I want to craft badges for rather than selling them immediately for card money to buy new games.

Don't usually get much even in the sales but have ended up with some great games so far, Super Hexagon, Cook, Serve, Delicious, Spelunky, Guacamelee and I was lucky enough to win Titan Attacks and Risk of Rain (a fast favourite of mine) too. And there's still a while to go! Good times.

dani_dc

Nope, you're able to go back into the world after you complete the game. It just saves right before the final boss and you can use those stone things to teleport anywhere else

Thanks, pretty sure I'm near the end game, so that's going to save me some time.

So even after using and configurating x360ce to emulate the Xbox 360 controller my inputs still are messed in Dark Souls, any ideas?

Edit: nvm looks like it's fixed now.

Garcia

Wasnt quite sure what i was supposed to be doing. Lost one of my young every "level" was eventually sad and alone. Got eaten by a bird.

Enjoyed it, is it possible to "win"? Do i need to keep the little ones alive?

I thought it was really charming though.

Sounds interesting. I think its the first game I've seen that touches the subject of wildlife survival.

vg260

Nope. If you don't like the character designs, don't get it. There are plenty of other games that would likely suit your taste more and scratch the same itch. There's nothing amazing about it that's can't miss, really.

Arthea

Since I bought my new PC with win8 I wasn't able to take any screenshots in any game.
Anyone encountered such a problem?

About the Bridge. It uses something perspective physics and incapacitation mechanics (><) and basically is a puzzle game. Very nice feature is rewinding time back to see what went wrong and you can stop at any moment in time.
It starts mildly and if even there are some harder puzzles it's quit easy until reverse is added and it gets a little crazy and even crazier later on. A game does no handholding whatsoever.
As I already said, it has funny minimalistic art style and plays nicely.

Triggaaar

Neo Member
2 hours or so, if that. Its quite short. Short but amazing, just like me in bed. Wait...
Lol

They really are not bad games at all, bar AC3 which is just a borefest but still not terrible.

The first one was poor enough but the second and third games are excellent I found.
So AC3 was a bore fest, the 1st was poor, but the 2nd and 3rd were excellent - is AC3 not the 3rd then?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Goddamn I love short games.

Brothers was an excellent, tiny, focused experience. Bought this afternoon, finished this afternoon, about as long as a movie.

The gameplay is super satisfying, the set pieces (one in particular) were amazing, the story was simple, straight forward and touching.

Is that worth it? I heard one of the games was really good, but I don't remember which one.
Dark Athena has a remake of the Butcher Bay campaign included, so you're really getting two games there. The remake mostly changed just visual stuff so there's no reason to play the original over it. So yeah, just get Dark Athena if you're interested. They're both excellent games anyway so play them both; Dark Athena may be "worse" but is still great.

Grief.exe

Does the game ever stop being waves of trash mobs per zone? I've played like 45 mins and each zone is littered with trash that's not really enjoyable to kill over and over (they apparently all respawn each time you return) and it seems like you get locked in each section until you kill them. Also, the combat seems kind of spammy although the moves "look" cool. The game looks beautiful though, but I'm not feeling the gameplay so far.

There are mini-bosses, bosses, and stronger, singular, enemies later on, but both are pretty valid criticisms.

kinggroin

Banned

Sounds a little like Muramasa!

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Does the latest version of DSfix/ DSMfix (Dark Souls Mouse Fix) not work for some of you people too? Because I did what I was supposed to and the mouse just gets disabled when the game starts, and the title screen does not mention that DSfix is being used.

Also, is their a mod that changes the on-screen Xbox keys to keyboard/mouse keys?

Alex

Brothers starts off well enough but yeesh it gets so darn good as you go and I'm really, really impressed by the visuals in the later areas. Sincerely some of the best graphics I've seen this year.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Well I just went through all of Gunpoint in one sitting, that was pretty good.

Between Gunpoint and Brothers, I am really starting to love single sitting games.

Can anybody think of any others? Games that are easy to finish in a reasonable single sitting? Like 2.5-3 hours or so?

Radio

I bought Snow, and my immediate impression is that skiing down the mountain just doesn't feel right. It feels kind of how Tony Hawk made skateboarding feel. It's just too responsive, like your character doesn't have any weight to them. I move left and right to mimic the way someone would actually ski down a mountain, and the character just jerks in each direction, like the game has no idea why someone would ski like that. Maybe it's just alpha being alpha, but I was hoping they'd go for a bit more realism, like Skate instead of Tony Hawk. Currently, it's just not very satisfying.

It has potential, and first-person is pretty cool, but I wouldn't recommend anyone buy in to early access at the moment unless they just want to help support development. It's not worth it if you're just impatient and want to play a skiing game on PC.

The_Monk

Went back to play Aliens VS Predator and managed to finish the Aliens campaign. I started with the Aliens Story because I wanted to get rid of this one really fast (so much motion sickness because you can climb any surface and will confuse you a lot). Started now the Predator one and the last will be the Marines.

As soon as I started the Predator campaign I noticed a decent improvement on the graphics when comparing to Aliens Colonial Marines and this game is much older than CM, it also seems to be vastly superior. Such a shame because the Aliens universe have a great potential for a nice horror experience. I'll be sure to post some impressions after completing the two remaining campaigns in case someone is interested.

bonesquad

About the Bridge. It uses something perspective physics and incapacitation mechanics (><) and basically is a puzzle game. Very nice feature is rewinding time back to see what went wrong and you can stop at any moment in time.
It starts mildly and if even there are some harder puzzles it's quit easy until reverse is added and it gets a little crazy and even crazier later on. A game does no handholding whatsoever.
As I already said, it has funny minimalistic art style and plays nicely.

Additionally, if your laptop (I have a Yoga) has tilt sensors and a touchscreen you can play it like a tablet game which is pretty cool.

Bri

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bastion -- MB-109B28A8A82D2377 - Taken by slayzz. 6 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-BAA824DEE45AC62F - Taken by SkeptiMism. 5 entrants total.
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-A64D70576E9DEDD6 - Taken by Lemstar. 14 entrants total.
Zeno Clash -- MB-96FA8438EAAF40F9 - Taken by WonkersTHEWatilla. 13 entrants total.

t1388283472z1.png
Hopefully this is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom