• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

with my wife out of town this weekend I think I may actually beat Lords of Shadow in the next few days.

I'm beginning to understand how all you bachelors are able to knock out so many games now.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Between Gunpoint and Brothers, I am really starting to love single sitting games.

Can anybody think of any others? Games that are easy to finish in a reasonable single sitting? Like 2.5-3 hours or so?
Edge its 3-4 hours puzzle game.

Between Gunpoint and Brothers, I am really starting to love single sitting games.

Can anybody think of any others? Games that are easy to finish in a reasonable single sitting? Like 2.5-3 hours or so?

Dear Esther and Gone Home.

Finally got AC2 working right. Feels.

Iun1wO6l.jpg

"It is a good life we lead, brother."

Sorry for the Steamshot, the uncompressed is on my other PC.

Now I want to get Brotherhood too, but I've got no more sale money. :(

Can anyone give a quick lowdown on Sins of a solar empire and if it's worth getting?

The reviews on it seems interesting but the pretty high pricetag and the supposedly gameplay is hard to get into from what I've read.

joe2187

Banned
Reposting my giveaway again.

ModBot said:
SUPER COMBAT RAFFLE!

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

pL7MD.png

Skullgirls -- MB-4AC3C6D56A933DBB
Guacamelee -- MB-9DB0EF6AA46398D5
Dark Souls -- MB-96563A370FF24117

t1388306509z1.png

tumblr_m34jcyKeNT1qfjm7k.gif

VOTE FOR KOF!

aScaris

If you like point&click you might wanna try Machinarium or Botanicula. I don't exactly remember how long it took me, but it was basically one morning each.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Games that are easy to finish in a reasonable single sitting? Like 2.5-3 hours or so?
DLC Quest
Escape Goat
Eversion
Botanicula might be a liiittle longer than 3 hours, but I think it's a reasonable "single sitting" game given how easy it is.

I just played like five minutes of SNOW. No sound, text plastered over the screen during gameplay and white flashes looping every 3 seconds or so. Early access is an understatement.

I guess we'll see how the situation develops over the next three to six months.

Unicorn

Went back to play Aliens VS Predator and managed to finish the Aliens campaign. I started with the Aliens Story because I wanted to get rid of this one really fast (so much motion sickness because you can climb any surface and will confuse you a lot). Started now the Predator one and the last will be the Marines.

As soon as I started the Predator campaign I noticed a decent improvement on the graphics when comparing to Aliens Colonial Marines and this game is much older than CM, it also seems to be vastly superior. Such a shame because the Aliens universe have a great potential for a nice horror experience. I'll be sure to post some impressions after completing the two remaining campaigns in case someone is interested.

I loved AvP. It's too bad the matchmaking was so poor because it has some of the best competetive gameplay. Aliens vs. Marine matches were always full of tension. Game could have used some better multiplayer maps though.

The_Monk

I haven't played either, yet, but To The Moon gets so many positive recommendations from the steam thread.

Good suggestions monk

Thanks Grief. I really like it To the Moon but to be honest it's not a game for everyone. There's almost no gameplay elements and it's something for those who like a Story, simple as that. The soundtrack is really amazing with some relaxing and very touching Piano tunes to get you in the mood. The end was satisfying enough and the length of the game is enough to keep you interested from start to finish, but just like I said, it's not for everybody. Either way I think it was an enjoyable experience.

Turfster

I just played like five minutes of SNOW. No sound, text plastered over the screen during gameplay and white flashes looping every 3 seconds or so. Early access is an understatement.

I guess we'll see how the situation develops over the next three to six months.

I think they unleashed a total 'finnish games' shitstorm from all the people that will buy it now and be appalled at the state it's in.

Lain

Does the game ever stop being waves of trash mobs per zone? I've played like 45 mins and each zone is littered with trash that's not really enjoyable to kill over and over (they apparently all respawn each time you return) and it seems like you get locked in each section until you kill them. Also, the combat seems kind of spammy although the moves "look" cool. The game looks beautiful though, but I'm not feeling the gameplay so far.

You'll always have waves of stuff to kill. Personally I enjoyed killing them, especially because the more I killed consecutively increasing the combo lenght, the more exp I got, the faster I leveled up, the easier it got to break the game. Which made the enemies respawning when leaving and re-entering quite the nice touch to level up even faster in those screens full of enemies close to each other.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Journey, Gone Home.

If you're talking about a single "gaming day" type of thing, then Spec Ops: the Line and Binary Domain can be knocked out in a one day gaming session

Lotto

So far I've picked up Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Heard great things about both of them and they happened to both show up at the same time during a flash sale. Might pick up a few more games but I'm pretty happy with these two.

Ganzor

Looking at my own list of games:

Portal 1
World of Goo
Limbo
The Swapper

Oh I won Orcs Must Die 2, thanks Colin! The original game looked interesting but I never played it, don't imagine it's the type of game where that matters though.

Archurro

Has anyone played Contagion? Sorry this is a bit late, but I just installed Windows 8 on my laptop and bought it a while back since I'm a sucker for Zombie stuff

Arthea

Talking about short games with almost infinite replayability, Long live the Queen is awesome.
Have I mentioned that it is my favourite this sale game so far? finished 4 times already and plan to get back for more.

Zeeman

So, should I get Gunpoint, Dust or Brothers? I'm interested in all three, but don't want to spend non-wallet money right now

komorebi

Hmm... I could use a discount on Ys Oath in Felghana right about now.

EDIT: Anyone know why Resident Evil 5 doesn't have a discount? I remember it was $5 at the start of the sale...damnit!

cicero

Don't wanna add to your hardships, but you are overdoing it, seriously, if you know you can't tolerate furies at all (and really what about this game is deviantart style? even that alone is insulting, thousands of people use deviantart and they have different styles, not everything on deviantart is creepy and certainly not this game), you shouldn't bought it, high praise or not. I don't like furies and I still like this game.
Hardships? Come on, please drop the condescending sarcasm. I merely stated my personal impressions in regards to a comment which said that the furry style of its art wasn't worthy of mention at ALL.

The specific subject of my comments is easily seen in the first sentence, "the basic aesthetics of most/all deviantart style furry/anthropomorphism art". It is the typical deviantart style of furry/anthropomorphism art that I am specifically referencing. I bought it because of the potential good gameplay that I heard high praise for, a position you seem to support, before apparently using it to dismiss my own basis and reasoning for purchasing it.

Clearly I didn't take issue with the style of art enough to keep me from buying the game. The thing I mentioned as being egregious wasn't the art in the game once I played it, but the ridiculously cloying voice work and dialogue of the character "Fidget". But even after I mentioned the level of repulsive annoyance that "Fidget" brought to my experience, I still made an allowance for anyone interested, and that being getting the game at a cheaper price in a bundle later on. How is this not a reasonable position to take in regards to someone else who might potentially have the same basic issues before purchasing that I did? At the least they will see someone mention something and then go look up a gameplay video to see if that character grates on their nerves as she did mine.

I think they unleashed a total 'finnish games' shitstorm from all the people that will buy it now and be appalled at the state it's in.
I think this is the first "Early Access" game from Steam that I've ever played (besides Mercenary Kings which was a beta iirc). I'll definitely keep my eye out for "early access" from now on. Hopefully in six months I'll be having a blast with SNOW.

Oreoleo

So, should I get Gunpoint, Dust or Brothers? I'm interested in all three, but don't want to spend non-wallet money right now

Those are 3 pretty substantially different games. It depends what you're looking for.

I've only put a little bit of time into Gunpoint but I am really impressed with the mechanics so far. So I'm gonna recommend that since everyone else will say Brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom