• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

Talking about short games with almost infinite replayability, Long live the Queen is awesome.
Have I mentioned that it is my favourite this sale game so far? finished 4 times already and plan to get back for more.

I want this :( hopefully it gets a flash or daily. Lots of time left.

ZeroCoin

I managed to grab a couple Don't Starve from Steam thinking I'd give them away in here, then added something more on top that I grabbed from Humble while picking Volgar for myself and added something else that I had stored away and decided to do a 24 hour raffle to give more people a chance to see and get something. Hope there is something for everyone.

Just got back and saw that I won Just Cause 2. Thanks a ton!

I want this :( hopefully it gets a flash or daily. Lots of time left.

So, update for Long Live the Queen, the Dark Souls of Princess Makers. It's currently -10% off on Steam, but it's actually -50% on the developer's website and you can get a key to redeem on Steam.

Here's how:
  1. Go to this link: http://www.hanakogames.com/llq.shtml#buyit
  2. Price still shows up as $9.99? Add it to your cart, it changes to $4.98.
  3. Purchase it.
  4. To get your Steam key, go to http://nettle.spikycaterpillar.com/ and enter the license code you get.
  5. Redeem on Steam.
  6. Celebrate with chocolates!
Besides the fact that you don't have to wait for fickle dailies or flash sales, or rely on the community to vote for LLTQ, all the revenue goes to the developer and it costs $0.01 less than it would cost on Steam.

Here you go

valeo

Dammit - was all set to buy DmC but didn't make the cut off time for the 12.99 sale. 24.99 is far too expensive for me so I'm going to have to sit it out until next year (?)

:(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I can't let go of Spelunky, somehow I keep going back. I unlocked the shortcut to the ice world, but the last requirement for the final shortcut is so very cruel :(

Gunpoint and Brothers are both great. I didn't like Dust, for many different reasons. Art, voice acting, type of action, feel of the jumping, none of it grabbed me.

Dust was a nice experiment of the genre but it has many flaws that can't be ignored. It is worth at a discount tough.

Brothers is a great narrative experience and the art direction fits the fairy tale theme nicely, the controls blend with the overall experience... the puzzles are a little simple but I feel like with was on purpose so nobody could get stuck and miss the story.

Talking about short games with almost infinite replayability, Long live the Queen is awesome.
Have I mentioned that it is my favourite this sale game so far? finished 4 times already and plan to get back for more.

I have played a lot of that since yesterday. My God, I can't stop dying. I'm killed in an ambush so I take precautions to avoid that next time. This time I triumph only to be poisoned because I didn't put enough points into one area. I am enjoying the game a lot, but I just can't. stop. dying.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I can't let go of Spelunky, somehow I keep going back. I unlocked the shortcut to the ice world, but the last requirement for the final shortcut is so very cruel :(

I got so lucky. I was able to do it on my third try.

I got climbing gloves and I found two bomb boxes, so I was able to just bomb my way down the jungle, and with the gloves I could just slide down the side wall all the way to the exit on every ice level.

EdmondD

Has anyone played Contagion? Sorry this is a bit late, but I just installed Windows 8 on my laptop and bought it a while back since I'm a sucker for Zombie stuff

I was going to buy this because I'm also a sucker for zombies or horror games in general but decided not to. I regret not buying it. If I see it go on sale again I am definitely getting it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I got so lucky. I was able to do it on my third try.

I got climbing gloves and I found two bomb boxes, so I was able to just bomb my way down the jungle, and with the gloves I could just slide down the side wall all the way to the exit on every ice level.

Oh, that's nice. I don't use items nearly enough... I'll try out those gloves. The jungle is what scares me the most, those stages can be way tougher than mines or ice caves.

Ruze789

Went back to play Aliens VS Predator and managed to finish the Aliens campaign. I started with the Aliens Story because I wanted to get rid of this one really fast (so much motion sickness because you can climb any surface and will confuse you a lot). Started now the Predator one and the last will be the Marines.

As soon as I started the Predator campaign I noticed a decent improvement on the graphics when comparing to Aliens Colonial Marines and this game is much older than CM, it also seems to be vastly superior. Such a shame because the Aliens universe have a great potential for a nice horror experience. I'll be sure to post some impressions after completing the two remaining campaigns in case someone is interested.

Thanks for posting some thoughts on AvP! After passing on ACM when it comes up for $2, I've turned my eye towards AvP 2010 instead. I think I'm just gonna bite soon at $7.49.

Effect

I have money to spend now from Christmas gifts but there has been nothing I've really been pushed to buy lately with this sale. :( Kinds sucks because I want to buy something but nothing has grabbed me enough to get me to buy. I've instead been playing older games on my Steam list like Overlord 2 of all things.

Brothers has great art direction and settings. but its just so corny, even moreso than gone home. It places sentimentality over player agency, and thats my biggest gripe with it. Sucks that people are overlooking kentucky route zero and the stanley parable. different tastes i guess.

I hate you guys, you always get me interested in some new game...
now I'm curious about that princess maker thing...don't think I'll buy it though, I have spent enough xD
ps: bought Volgarr, great game

Jintor

Started up brothers. Don't think much of it so far, but gosh is it pretty.

Hilariously I am reminded of Black and White for some reason

Shurayuki

I have played a lot of that since yesterday. My God, I can't stop dying. I'm killed in an ambush so I take precautions to avoid that next time. This time I triumph only to be poisoned because I didn't put enough points into one area. I am enjoying the game a lot, but I just can't. stop. dying.

Ah Ah. All according to keikaku. Yes it's really great isn't it.

You know I was joking about it being the Dark Souls of Princess Maker because of the number of deaths but my prolonged adventure into the
Old Forest
kinda vindicated even the difficulty. Damn you have to plan almost perfectly to make it out of there alive (and not have something terrible immediately kill you before/after because you were too busy focusing on the needed skills).
Also I'm really bad at strategically saving. Pro tip for everybody starting LLTQ, make savepoints at important junctions...

Also
divination
is like the best skill in the game ^_^

The_Monk

Snow won! How exciting.

uQGbojj.gif

Thanks for posting some thoughts on AvP! After passing on ACM when it comes up for $2, I've turned my eye towards AvP 2010 instead. I think I'm just gonna bite soon at $7.49.

No problem fellow GAFfer. I think I've seen it cheaper every now and then, if your budget is a concern I would advise you to wait. I might post some impressions later on, after completing the other two Stories.

Colin.

Under an hour left. I'm off to sleep. Take one.. take 'em all.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 30 Steam keys (Origin where stated). To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

English Country Tune -- MB-1D7BBD5404C49323 - Taken by Im a Manatee. 10 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
The Sims 3 Origin Key via www.thesims3.com -- MB-C3E8ABCDC558F2DE - Taken by OldAsUrSock. 8 entrants total.
Oil Rush -- MB-AD6C9656708B35F4 - Taken by Kaper. 4 entrants total.
Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-0212884B8D18A60C - Taken by akskiller. 4 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box Origin Key -- MB-EC5D096C9C0FC213 - Taken by gimel. 6 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Edge Origin Key -- MB-1E51942A74F038B0 - Taken by UnObtainium17. 2 entrants total.
Serious Sam Double D -- MB-A6FBD640858DFD44 - Taken by Original Famous Ray. 7 entrants total.
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-BEC7B56F1027288A - Taken by spuit*11. 7 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space Origin Key -- MB-0D40C240A4EFED57
vRvbDCu.png
Populous Origin Key -- MB-8A61811D56728C2E - Taken by StopMakingSense. 2 entrants total.
Splice -- MB-447CDC5211FE8435 - Taken by unknownstranger. 7 entrants total.
Fractal -- MB-DD6959D2A1C1A881 - Taken by chiym1992. 4 entrants total.
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-56A0F5D6318AFB53 - Taken by skullmuffins. 24 entrants total.
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter -- MB-833AD2E06BD27719 - Taken by Tellaerin. 7 entrants total.
Intake -- MB-1FAAA3C8AC733856 - Taken by Kifimbo. 12 entrants total.
Serious Sam 3 Deluxe -- MB-0DF22E9E95CC2699 - Taken by MotorbreathX. 11 entrants total.
Eets Munchies -- MB-0002FB859E5097BB - Taken by Lomax. 1 entrants total.
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-537A2EAC8E48873B - Taken by bkw. 7 entrants total.
Metro 2033, Risen, and Sacred Citadel -- MB-5C00D129DB4B5CC8 - Taken by user237. 30 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor Origin Key -- MB-D64DFEC1B5EBD545
FEZ -- MB-0B807CD172DFDCED - Taken by dot. 35 entrants total.
Intrusion 2 -- MB-4E5378E3C310AE23 - Taken by ichtyander. 2 entrants total.
Auditorium -- MB-7888997F3274A79D - Taken by arts&crafts. 7 entrants total.
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-7E408980545315E8 - Taken by intheinbetween. 5 entrants total.
Dear Esther -- MB-7F3E3722C5D719FD - Taken by crackbabyjr. 23 entrants total.
A Virus Named TOM -- MB-7F848E3DEB1E98D6 - Taken by An-Det. 4 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-84AAD54F86824994 - Taken by Divius. 10 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising Origin Key -- MB-269D8093F07C5929 - Taken by grimmiq. 1 entrants total.
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition Origin Key -- MB-70A22E0BACF9CED2 - Taken by PinkCrayon. 4 entrants total.
Serious Sam 2 -- MB-240A7D5EA5675571 - Taken by astrogamer. 4 entrants total.

t1388279963z1.png

Danielsan

Finished Brothers. That makes two games in one day.
Great game, visually stunning. Sadly it didn't really emotionally resonate with me. Still some fantastic scenes due to the downright gorgeous world and great music.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
This game comes with both games. Get it on GOG, the drm on the Steam version is nasty

Escape From Butcher Bay is the good one. I played it for the first time earlier this year and it still holds up today.

It's the only place to get it DRM free. Escape from Butcher Bay is probably the better of the two, but it's included so why not pull the trigger for that price?

Bought, thanks!

The_Monk

Finished Brothers. That makes two games in one day.
Great game, visually stunning. Sadly it didn't really emotionally resonate with me. Still some fantastic scenes due to the downright gorgeous world and great music.

Great to know, any plans for the next game you plan on getting?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Brothers has great art direction and settings. but its just so corny, even moreso than gone home. It places sentimentality over player agency, and thats my biggest gripe with it. Sucks that people are overlooking kentucky route zero and the stanley parable. different tastes i guess.
KR0 is deeeeefinitely not overlooked. It was the talk of the town during the summer. It's only natural for the hype to die down months after release.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oh, that's nice. I don't use items nearly enough... I'll try out those gloves. The jungle is what scares me the most, those stages can be way tougher than mines or ice caves.

The climbing gloves are huuuuuugely useful.

There have been so many close deaths and dead ends I've escaped from with those gloves.

The difficult part of the ice stages is that there isn't a bottom and that everythings slippery. With the gloves it becomes completely trivial.

Every level was "slide down left wall. Go through door." or "Slide down left wall, don't see door. Climb back up and switch sides. Slide down right wall. Go through door."

Basically 0 danger on the ice levels.

The Jungle is a tricky one yeah. There's a lot of instances where you can just get insta-killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom