• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

Has the Skullgirls DLC character ever been on sale? I guess I missed the free period during the free weekend a while ago. I may wait a bit and get better at SG before I decide to buy her outright for 5$

Nabs

Has the Skullgirls DLC character ever been on sale? I guess I missed the free period during the free weekend a while ago. I may wait a bit and get better at SG before I decide to buy her outright for 5$

No, it's only been on sale for a month.

Danielsan

Great to know, any plans for the next game you plan on getting?
Going to check out Gunpoint tomorrow which Credo kindly gifted me today. As far as buying new games. I've already gone way over budget, but I might be willing to get The Swapper if it goes on sale for around € 5 or less.

Finished Brothers. That makes two games in one day.
Great game, visually stunning. Sadly it didn't really emotionally resonate with me. Still some fantastic scenes due to the downright gorgeous world and great music.

How enjoyable is the gameplay? After Gone Home, I'm wary of another 'feels' type game seeing as that didn't really work for me at all.

Danielsan

How enjoyable is the gameplay? After Gone Home, I'm wary of another 'feels' type game seeing as that didn't really work for me at all.
Brothers is way more gameplay focused. Granted, it's a combination of simple platforming and puzzle solving. But I thought the gameplay was good. I wouldn't go into this expecting to get hit by an emotional hammer though.

And sorry to hear that you did not enjoy Gone Home. Finished that in one sitting today and absolutely loved it. Totally got misty eyed during the last few diary segments. Sure in terms of gameplay there is very little mechanics wise. But man did it ever grab me.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I found the gameplay quite enjoyable. Simple puzzles and platforming with great mind bending controls. You control two characters simultaneously, one with each stick. That gimmick makes the game work.

Vecks

How Metroidvania-y is Dust? The combat doesn't look too interesting to me, but is the exploration good?

It's not really that much of a metroidvania. You can backtrack, and you do get abilities to open up new areas, but it still feels rather linear and not interconnected.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm always incredulous at how any card I put up on the market sells instantly, like in the first minutes. Incredulous at who these people are who would buy stuff like this, I guess...but a sale's a sale.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Is Garry's Mod worth it if you're not really the creative type? I have a terrible time with games like Minecraft because of this

Garry's mod has a ton of community made 'mini games', made using Lua scripts and the like. I think the most popular one at the moment is Trouble In Terrorist Town. There are also 'role playing' servers where you...Role play. I've never done them so I can't comment.

There are also some deathmatch/capture the flag/racing types of maps/servers.

Gmod's community also tends to be on the...Young and stoner'ish side? At least that was my experience.

There's also the whole whacky screenshot taking aspect, but that's on the creative type end of the spectrum I think. Browse around the workshop for some idea of what's on there. I think Garry's Mod is worthwhile to mess around with, but it does take some effort to get into any part of it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The climbing gloves are huuuuuugely useful.

Basically 0 danger on the ice levels.

The Jungle is a tricky one yeah. There's a lot of instances where you can just get insta-killed.

Thanks. I'm going to attempt a start from the mines again.

The hate has more to do with "its not as good as the originals" as opposed to "its bad." Its a solid game.

Yep, the Predator campaign in particular is pretty damn fun.

How Metroidvania-y is Dust? The combat doesn't look too interesting to me, but is the exploration good?

Metroidvania-lite. The elements are there, but it's not a real metroidvania at all. Dust is great though, definitely give it a shot.

Thanks. I'm going to attempt a start from the mines again.

The other thing to get is a compass as early as you can. Then you can make straight for the exit without getting stuck in a bad situation (or risking it).

Compass + gloves or jetpack will get you to your goal.

Brothers is way more gameplay focused. Granted, it's a combination of simple platforming and puzzle solving. But I thought the gameplay was good. I wouldn't go into this expecting to get hit by an emotional hammer though.

And sorry to hear that you did not enjoy Gone Home. Finished that in one sitting today and absolutely loved it. Totally got misty eyed during the last few diary segments. Sure in terms of gameplay there is very little mechanics wise. But man did it ever grab me.

Awesome about Brothers, I'll give it a shot. My issue with Gone Home was,
I expected it to be a regular, slice of life ordinary household and outside of a couple of conflicts it wasn't far from that at all. Apparently I was supposed to think the house was haunted or something? That never crossed my mind and the 'alleged' big moment as you go up to the attic all I was thinking, "I wonder what Sam and Lonnie were taking pictures of."
It was more like, I didn't bring the right state of mind to the table which is why it didn't work, that's kind of bs imo but I get it.

I found the gameplay quite enjoyable. Simple puzzles and platforming with great mind bending controls. You control two characters simultaneously, one with each stick. That gimmick makes the game work.

Sounds crazy. I haven't really looked into it, mostly just gushing here. I feel like with these types of games, if someone even hints that it's an 'emotional journey' I go in like "Where the emotions at? Where the emotions at?" which kills the organic development. I'm not trying to be negative or cynical but it just seems like an inevitability.

Garry's mod has a ton of community made 'mini games', made using Lua scripts and the like. I think the most popular one at the moment is Trouble In Terrorist Town. There are also 'role playing' servers where you...Role play. I've never done them so I can't comment.

There are also some deathmatch/capture the flag/racing types of maps/servers.

Gmod's community also tends to be on the...Young and stoner'ish side? At least that was my experience.

There's also the whole whacky screenshot taking aspect, but that's on the creative type end of the spectrum I think. Browse around the workshop for some idea of what's on there. I think Garry's Mod is worthwhile to mess around with, but it does take some effort to get into any part of it.
*Looks at Steam Workshop*

Yeah, I'm buying this. Thanks!

Ruze789

Just bought Riddick from GOG, thanks to everyone with the headsup! I was just last week thinking about playing through Butcher Bay on the Xbox.

Nzyme32

Buummppppp.

I really enjoyed it. You essentially spend the majority of your time flicking through papers and cross checking a lot of details between a civilian a bunch of escalating paper sets and some other additions as time goes on and your border patrol role becomes more complex. You also have to take into account earnings from that work to keep your beloved family well, warm and fed. I felt that initially, after 3 or 4 rounds, you wonder if you are almost getting bored of the added complexities to your work, and the monotonous gameplay/work.

This is all a part of the games plan, so bear with it. Without spoiling anything that goes on further, although the story is somewhat loose, the experience is a story all of its own and almost occurs without you realising. Its worth a cheaper price, and certainly a must buy for anyone with the patience and open-mindedness to take it on or perhaps those who enjoy puzzle games.

I give it a 8 eastern europeans out of 10 - only losing score on longevity and replay value

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I expected it to be a regular, slice of life ordinary household and outside of a couple of conflicts it wasn't far from that at all. Apparently I was supposed to think the house was haunted or something? That never crossed my mind and the 'alleged' big moment as you go up to the attic all I was thinking, "I wonder what Sam and Lonnie were taking pictures of."
It was more like, I didn't bring the right state of mind to the table which is why it didn't work, that's kind of bs imo but I get it.

Sounds crazy. I haven't really looked into it, mostly just gushing here. I feel like with these types of games, if someone even hints that it's an 'emotional journey' I go in like "Where the emotions at? Where the emotions at?" which kills the organic development. I'm not trying to be negative or cynical but it just seems like an inevitability.

The emotional impact like someone else said is not he strong point of Brothers, at least it wasn't for me. It mostly fell flat to me emotionally but I still really enjoyed the game.

It is a game of interesting controls, simple but fun puzzle platforming, great set pieces and some decent non-vocal storytelling.

hohoXD123

Gone home spoiler!
Right before going up the attic and after reading that last note, I was thinking "oh shit, Sam committed suicide didn't she" only to find out that everything was all good, not many other games have toyed with my emotions like that. I guess it varies from person to person.

Christmas Achievements completed.

• Hammerwatch
• Droid Assault
• RUSH
• Electronic Super Joy
• Left 4 Dead 2 (Ghost of Christmas Present)

nai

Just finished Brothers. And yeah, that was quite an experience that I will carry with me for a long time. Highly recommend it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Played about an hour of Clash of Heroes. This is my first 'puzzle RPG' I've ever played and the depth of the strategy involved is pretty overwhelming. But in a good way. A great way. I feel I've got a long learning curve ahead of me and I'm looking forward to the ride.

vermadas

Wow, I am an idiot. I bought the AddOn pack for Pac-Man CE DX+ from Namco's site instead of the game itself. I interpreted the description as Pac-Man CE DX PLUS "All You Can Eat" pack instead of "All You Can Eat" pack FOR Pac-Man CE DX+.

MRORANGE

I really enjoyed it. You essentially spend the majority of your time flicking through papers and cross checking a lot of details between a civilian a bunch of escalating paper sets and some other additions as time goes on and your border patrol role becomes more complex. You also have to take into account earnings from that work to keep your beloved family well, warm and fed. I felt that initially, after 3 or 4 rounds, you wonder if you are almost getting bored of the added complexities to your work, and the monotonous gameplay/work.

This is all a part of the games plan, so bear with it. Without spoiling anything that goes on further, although the story is somewhat loose, the experience is a story all of its own and almost occurs without you realising. Its worth a cheaper price, and certainly a must buy for anyone with the patience and open-mindedness to take it on or perhaps those who enjoy puzzle games.

I give it a 8 eastern europeans out of 10 - only losing score on longevity and replay value

nice, thanks for that.

Card Boy

Banned
Just beat Castle of Illusion, took me 2.2 hrs to clock i kid you not. Good thing i only paid $3.75. Just imagine paying $70 in the Mega Drive days. It was a good game though i will give them that but i would never recommend paying $15 let alone the $18 Aussie rip off price on Steam.

I will give it 3.5 out of 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom