• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Silly Injustice. Sale in a day, better deal on Amazon, future WB sale early next year, and the batmobile lost a wheel.

Oh well, I wasn't going to buy any of them any road.

hohoXD123

Gone Home spoiler.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I was so happy it didn't come to that, though. Sam being happy and being with person she loves was a great ending. I had a huge smile on my face and was also sad because the game was over. A great experience.

Exactly, I didn't realise I was so heavily invested in Sam until I felt that sense of dread on the way to the attic, and I had a massive smile on my face at the end too. A lot of other story-driven games end up having sad/bittersweet endings so it was good to see Gone Home not going down that route, even if some of the background story was pretty sad.

Cth

I think I heard that "The Swapper" does not have controller support.. is that true?

There is a workaround that requires one of those paid keybd->joypad programs.

If you can get the controller to work it can make things easier..

Honestly, I thought I didn't want to play it kb/m but as soon as I did I didn't look back.

DedValve

Banned
So I really didn't like Dust's artstyle, it doesn't appease me at all. Then I heard the game was metroidvania but still wasn't captured because I hate that artstyle but god that gameplay...shit looks cray.

Like a 2D devil may cry of sorts. How deep is the combat and rpg mechanics? How "freeing" is the combat and deep is it?

The concept behind the combat system is pretty cool. Unfortunately, your moveset is very limited, and unlocking/upgrading moves is slow. The encounters can also be tedious at times.

The combat is limited and simplistic and has to be done on rhythm to it. I wouldnt say it sucks but it could be more polished.

Although it has its moments i find it tedious. There is no fluidity and flow like the Batman games, you can't counter moves and dodging is crap. The way you do any real damage is through through combos you set up and its sometimes hard to string more complex combos due to the animations and feedback.

Thanks guys. This is good to know, If I had expected the combat of Batman, I might have been disappointed. So, when I eventually buy it, going in knowing this will be vital.

Freezard

The whole DRM thing with Dark Athena is overblown. I didn't even notice anything when playing it. On the other hand, Borderlands DRM where you actually have to be connected to the net to be able to activate the DLC with individual cd-keys on some website and being forced to make a GameSpy account to play online is much worse, yet no one ever talks about it.

Card Boy

Banned
Yes, the proper choice was Divekick obviously.

No wants a Flash looking game.

Then I heard the game was metroidvania but still wasn't captured because I hate that artstyle but god that gameplay...shit looks cray.

Game isn't a Metroidvania, whoever told you was lying. It has very lite Metroidvania elements such as couple secrets and moves you need to pass certain areas. It's also very light on its RPG elements.

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
With all the talk about Gone Home flying around here, i'm kinda bummed I didn't pick it up. Oh well, maybe it will show up again on the last day.

Grief.exe

So I really didn't like Dust's artstyle, it doesn't appease me at all. Then I heard the game was metroidvania but still wasn't captured because I hate that artstyle but god that gameplay...shit looks cray.

Like a 2D devil may cry of sorts. How deep is the combat and rpg mechanics? How "freeing" is the combat and deep is it?

The RPG elements, combat, and metroidvania elements are all on the light side.

Game is just very solid, knows what it does well, has a good story, and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Somone gifted me bad rats. Maybe I should do a LTTP

sorta drunk

Get more drunk. Stream it.

The whole DRM thing with Dark Athena is overblown. I didn't even notice anything when playing it. On the other hand, Borderlands DRM where you actually have to be connected to the net to be able to activate the DLC with individual cd-keys on some website and being forced to make a GameSpy account to play online is much worse, yet no one ever talks about it.
I didn't hear about that DLC cd-key activation, but GameSpy multiplayer was a big sticking point with people, that and just how generally ill-fitted the port was for PC. I think the big difference is that BL2 came out and smoothed that over.

Turfster

Ah, the good old "Hey, I don't have heart problems, so I don't see all the fuss about having to wear a pacemaker." argument. Having to make an account is so much less bad than a disc based copy protection system on a digital download that has been known to rape your windows install.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I didn't hear about that DLC cd-key activation, but GameSpy multiplayer was a big sticking point with people, that and just how generally ill-fitted the port was for PC. I think the big difference is that BL2 came out and smoothed that over.

My favourite element of the Borderlands PC port is how text windows alternate between being scrollable with the mousewheel, arrow keys and page up/down (in addition to text box's own arrow buttons, of course).

Sounds like a made-up place to me, like Salsa's purported home country of Youaregay.

homer-uruguay.jpg

Holy crap! I won a mod-bot raffle for Dust!! I wasn't even sure if I was inputting the info right to be entered. Thanks a lot Chaos so, very kind to do the give away!

Only been back to gaf after forgetting my password for nearly 6 months, it's great to be back.

jmizzal

Lol I got Injustice for $10 on WiiU in May from Gamestop quick flash deal, that 25 bucks seems so high now

edit is the price right for Injustic 37?

Turfster

Flash
  • Gas Guzzlers Extreme 66% off
  • Spec Ops The Line 75% off
  • State of Decay 50% off
  • Far Cry 3 75% off
Community votes
  • Titan Quest 80% off
  • Volgarr 50% off
  • Skulls of the Shogun 75% off

Miker

Titan Quest is gonna win, isn't it?

Cheapest? Check.
Been on sale tons of times before? Check.
Bundled before? Check.

Landslide win for Titan Quest incoming, just you watch.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Titan Quest is gonna win, isn't it?

Cheapest? Check.
Been on sale tons of times before? Check.
Bundled before? Check.

Landslide win for Titan Quest incoming, just you watch.
Yep. My expectations are properly calibrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom