• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroCDR

State of Decay sounds pretty good, but I think I want the DayZ experience more.. I can wait a bit longer for that to polish up.

Oreoleo

Well yea but FC3 is worth 7.50 on it's own merits imo

I don't really disagree. I bought FC3 and played it to completion, I just don't think many of the changes they made were for the better. I really missed weapon degredation and the in-game map. Going in and out of the menu every 30 seconds to check the map or level up or craft or fast travel made the game feel really disjointed to me whereas in FC2 I could soak it all in and play for hours at a time wandering around looking for diamonds or doing the gun shack side missions. The games are different enough, I'm sure plenty of people would prefer 3 over 2 I just happen to not be one of them :)

Let's see... video games.
This one says best video game around-

Farcry 3

This one says best video game in town-

skyrim

In town... around. In town... around.
What do you think Steamgaf?

Skyrim is great, I really enjoyed playing it when it came out. But then I got Dark Souls and didn't beat Skyrim until a year later haha. If you've played Elder Scrolls before, it's similar in terms of gameplay and quite different in terms of the interface, worse IMO. Still fun game to play through. Screw Dragons.

Just started playing FC3 today actually and I'm having a blast. I'm surprised at how much there is to do and that it's actually all quite fun. I was just trying to clear a camp of enemies and decided to go the stealth route. So here I am crouched up waiting to strike when I hear a roar from behind me. I turn around and see 2 tigers walking towards the camp. I stayed in the bushes and just watched as the two of them just ravaged through all the guys I was trying to kill, and saw their futile efforts to slay the beasts. I then had to get rid of my feline helpers but I thought that was pretty cool.

Both great games, can't really go wrong, to me. But Far Cry feels like something different, which is good. But then again that could just be based on the fact that im playing it right now and enjoying it.

Grief.exe

Destiny tho

james-van-der-beek-crying-on-dawsons-creek-gif.gif

We all know Destiny is coming.

Wow, apparently I haven't made a single purchase from my own Steam store for a year, so now all my Steam gifts become non-tradable.
Cheers!....

jshackles, you probably hear this a lot, but you should get a job as developer for Steam client, you have your CV right there.

He actually has been trying to work at Valve for a long time.

Thanks! I've sent my resume to Valve many times, but they seem pretty intent on not hiring me.

That makes me sad to hear, especially considering how much the client actually sucks.
Well, all the luck to you on your job hunting, you're surely doing amazing work for the little people of SteamGAF.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anybody else interested in a Gas Guzzlers four-pack? I can get one for $15.50 ($3.88 per head) so I need three two like-minded individuals.

Edit: Sorted.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Through a series of awesome events here on GAF, I was gifted Far Cry 3 a few days ago and had a few hours to play it. The game seems really solid, and quite fun. So far, I'm liking it.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Skyrim is great, I really enjoyed playing it when it came out. But then I got Dark Souls and didn't beat Skyrim until a year later haha. If you've played Elder Scrolls before, it's similar in terms of gameplay and quite different in terms of the interface, worse IMO. Still fun game to play through. Screw Dragons.

Just started playing FC3 today actually and I'm having a blast. I'm surprised at how much there is to do and that it's actually all quite fun. I was just trying to clear a camp of enemies and decided to go the stealth route. So here I am crouched up waiting to strike when I hear a roar from behind me. I turn around and see 2 tigers walking towards the camp. I stayed in the bushes and just watched as the two of them just ravaged through all the guys I was trying to kill, and saw their futile efforts to slay the beasts. I then had to get rid of my feline helpers but I thought that was pretty cool.

Both great games, can't really go wrong, to me. But Far Cry feels like something different, which is good. But then again that could just be based on the fact that im playing it right now and enjoying it.
Well, I've been playing through Crysis and Saints Row 3, and I plan to start Dark Souls soon, so I guess I've been overloaded with open world games, and I thought Far Cry 3 and Skyrim looked very similar. But I love games that give you the option to be stealthy or go in guns blazing, so I think I'll buy FC3 now and get Skyrim in a few months. Thanks for the advice!

FloatOn

You shut your dirty mouth damn it! Alpha Protocol is a diamond in the rough, but a diamond nonetheless!

if you want a janky rpg that is actually good just play the first risen game.

alpha protocol is so broken that even the people that like it suggest playing it only one way.

JaseC

Through a series of awesome events here on GAF, I was gifted Far Cry 3 a few days ago and had a few hours to play it. The game seems really solid, and quite fun. So far, I'm liking it.

Jason Shackles' A Series of Awesome Events. Starring Jason Momoa.

Hows State of Decay, I really dont know what type of game it is, I see its open world but are there others players running around like mmo games?

Derrick01

Banned
if you want a janky rpg that is actually good just play the first risen game.

alpha protocol is so broken that even the people that like it suggest playing it only one way.

You don't recommend the majority of RPGs for its combat anyway. AP was mindblowing from a story and dialog perspective, and how you could influence it by exploring the area and finding intel files.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Alpha Protocol is a very good game when it's flaws are accepted for what they are and what type of game play it is. They key of course is to remember like Deadly Premonition it is to be played for it's story, albeit one of your own making with dialogue choices and action choices (far better than Mass Effect), and that of course it's shooting is all based on dice rolls because it is a RPG. It's a game where trying to be the catch-all, get every ability, anything can do will result in a rather poor third person shooter, while a planned play style and skill forcus (e.g. stealth, master with pistols, sneaking around) will provide a rewarding experience that games like Fallout 3 and Deus Ex Human Revolution didn't really attempt to reach for role playing.

If you ever wanted a game where you could play as James Bond, the action heavy lady swooning, master spy who overcomes great challenges to save the day though he loses people close to him, you can with a wonderful story you create. You however can then take it the opposite way and play it as just a terrible human being who is only a spy because someone in a position of power forces it to happen, while constantly making terrible decisions like that of Archer. I personally recommend at least one play through as the world's worst spy who bumbles his way through everything and no one should ever trust him with an ounce of opportunity, but he somehow saves they day barely.
All perfectly valid ways to play as a spy and you get three different stories and dialogue paths out of it that more games should try to be like,

Far Cry 3. First of all, let me quote myself from before.
For those getting Far Cry 3, I do recommend the following.

Find out how to lose the user interfaces, which means all the menus and health and what have you. Moding allow this, ini. editing can do it I believe.
Get the bow and arrow as soon as possible.
Be stealthy when possible, use the stone to lure enemies into traps.
Only take out enemy camps when you really need to, otherwise leave as many as possible so the world is constantly filled with patrolling enemies and reinforcements so they can arrive often. It just becomes very empty without them. Taking out one to ensure you have a place to quick travel to is fine, but keep the others around it open.
Hunt. Hunt not just for improved items, but for the fun of a chase without abusing or spamming bullets and rocket launchers and the like. If you can really get into it, you can get a lot of fun around stalking a tiger and killing it without it ever noticing you, or using a turtle with a mine as a trap for a komodo dragon.
Take a moment to enjoy the visual scenery as you glide around places or just drive around. Learn that is actually is a place with landmarks and well laid out road systems and bridges.

If played purely as a do everything as once, murder everything as soon as possible, try and collect everything as fast as possible, it can become a very empty world with not much to do any more.
Note when you beat the game you can reset the enemy camps to bring them all back.

It's a game of immersion if you can get yourself into it, of tactics for how to best deal with enemies, just like Far Cry 2 was. Aye with a different focus and a more welcoming approach to more players, while less depth perhaps, but still good stuff if you can get into what it allows.
Put yourself in what they attempted to do with the main character; slowly become a master hunter. Don't grind, don't try to get everything at once, and from time to time just play it as a hunting game where you stalk an animal (man or beast) and take them out as a quick fun session of game play.

Fun can be had with both games despite their flaws, sometimes with their flaws, but by no means are they ruined because of their flaws unless it's just simply not for you. They are not terrible if they aren't exactly what you wanted them to be or one attempted to play them as a different game than to what they were. Simply don't like them, that is of course quite fair. I personally highly enjoyed both and look forward to replaying them both someday in the future.

Well Alpha Protocol at least. Hell if I know what happened to Far Cry 3, I think a shark ate it.

bender

What time is it?
I need to give Alpha Protocol a whirl. I got a free boxed copy from Gamestop when they pennied out their inventory.

Level 98 in Rogue Legacy now. It does a lot of neat things (heir system) but I'm not sure I like the upgrade loop. It feels like I'm on a treadmill.

jwtsonga

Alpha Protocol is a very good game when it's flaws are accepted for what they are and what type of game play it is. They key of course is to remember like Deadly Premonition it is to be played for it's story, albeit one of your own making with dialogue choices and action choices (far better than Mass Effect), and that of course it's shooting is all based on dice rolls because it is a RPG. It's a game where trying to be the catch-all, get every ability, anything can do will result in a rather poor third person shooter, while a planned play style and skill forcus (e.g. stealth, master with pistols, sneaking around) will provide a rewarding experience that games like Fallout 3 and Deus Ex Human Revolution didn't really attempt to reach for role playing.

If you ever wanted a game where you could play as James Bond, the action heavy lady swooning, master spy who overcomes great challenges to save the day though he loses people close to him, you can with a wonderful story you create. You however can then take it the opposite way and play it as just a terrible human being who is only a spy because someone in a position of power forces it to happen, while constantly making terrible decisions like that of Archer. I personally recommend at least one play through as the world's worst spy who bumbles his way through everything and no one should ever trust him with an ounce of opportunity, but he somehow saves they day barely.
All perfectly valid ways to play as a spy and you get three different stories and dialogue paths out of it that more games should try to be like,

Far Cry 3. First of all, let me quote myself from before.

Beyond that, it's a game of immersion or tactics just like Far Cry 2 was, with a different focus and a more welcoming approach to more players, while less depth perhaps, but still good stuff if you can get into what it allows.
Put yourself in the mindset of it's main character, slowly become a master hunter. Don't grind, don't try to get everything at once, and from time to time just play it as a hunting game where you stalk an animal (man or beast) and take them out as a quick fun session of game play.

I thought they patched in the enemy outpost reset option?? So guards are always patrolling?

FloatOn

You don't recommend the majority of RPGs for its combat anyway. AP was mindblowing from a story and dialog perspective, and how you could influence it by exploring the area and finding intel files.

I thought skyrim had pretty good story lines and dialog options but that game also had really shitty combat so I have a really hard time recommending it. By my loose estimate combat is what you will be doing with at least 50% of your time in a rpg so I think it's fair to dismiss a game if it falls short in that area.

JaseC

I thought they patched in the enemy outpost reset option?? So guards are always patrolling?

You are correct. I never bothered with it, though, despite finding the world rather empty in "safe" areas. A better solution would have simply been to have small pockets of enemies occasionally respawn in safe zones; if you don't kill them off then your allies eventually do. Rinse and repeat.

bender

What time is it?
There is no doubt in my mind that GTA V will be on the PC. If I had to guess, it will coincide with an Xbox One/PS4 release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom