• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
i want to believe like fox mulder, but it's just been radio silence for so long

if they were planning an early 2014 release i think they have nothing to gain by not announcing it

also RDR happened

I believe Red Dead was confirmed as having really weird engine issues that prevented it from coming to PC.

I think GTA V is likely coming, it's just a matter of when.

I wouldn't be surprised by a spring release.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Alpha Protocol mainly only get recommendations for just "one way to play", but again when you accept it as a RPG, as a game where a roll of the dice determine 1) if it hits and 2) the amount of damage, you can play different builds and get a good time.
One style is just mostly recommend to try and appease those who want it more as a third person shooter than anything else.

I thought they patched in the enemy outpost reset option?? So guards are always patrolling?

I played on PS3 a long time ago and have since lost my copy, so I am going off an older build to be sure.

However you still don't want to take out every base. From what I'm reading that still decreases the number of patrolling enemies and the number of reinforcements that will be sent out. I enjoyed being low on health, running out of arrows and other weapons, running for my life or riding on a vehicle (ATV is best) and accidentally being too close to an enemy camp and being swarmed even more or being hit by someone on a roof in my mad dash along the only road away.

Alternatively, only take out enemy camps by releasing the animals. Watch hilarity ensue.

Also good fun. Though I prefer trying to lure or chase animals like komodo dragons or other dangerous beasts into a camp followed by fire. A bear on fire can set men on fire you know.

game is like 3 hrs long, would i really need it twice?

Nay, not at all. It's mostly if you want to "own it" on Steam as opposed to "rent it" on PS+.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

if they were planning an early 2014 release i think they have nothing to gain by not announcing it

also RDR happened

R* Table Tennis, Midnight Club: LA and RDR are literally the only previous-gen R* games to not get PC ports. You also need to consider that the only GTAs to not show up on the PC are the handheld titles.

also RDR happened
It took 8 months after the console version of IV for the PC version.

Literally every main GTA title has been on PC.

It's been leaked in Nvidia's drivers.

It's been 3 months.

It's coming.

I know this sounds totally redundant at this point, but buy the hell out of Risk of Rain tomorrow when it supposedly is going on sale again. This game gets exponentially more awesome in every way the longer you play it, I love it way more than say Rogue Legacy and even Spelunky now.

Garcia

Don't Starve get.

Went to check the reviews on its Community Hub, saw excellent feedback from people who had spent more than 30 hours in it.

Couldn't resist.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
You don't recommend the majority of RPGs for its combat anyway. AP was mindblowing from a story and dialog perspective, and how you could influence it by exploring the area and finding intel files.

This isn't true. A large portion of the most lauded RPG's are held in such high esteem because of their gameplay. Deus Ex (original), Balder's gate series, Diablo 1/2 (3 is fundamentally broken), Dark/Demon Souls, and the Icewind Dale series are all RPG's that are famous for their combat, not for the stories that they told.

Turfster

This isn't true. A large portion of the most lauded RPG's are held in such high esteem because of their gameplay. Deus Ex (original), Balder's gate series, Diablo 1/2 (3 is fundamentally broken), Dark/Demon Souls, and the Icewind Dale series are all RPG's that are famous for their combat, not for the stories that they told.
notsureifserious.jpg

Up

More giveaways courtesy of recon

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

F.E.A.R. 3 -- MB-368032E1E64989DA - Taken by Prophane33. 12 entrants total.

t1388302506z1.png

Garcia

My current record is 46 days in default settings. Died to 3 walruses.

Walruses? Wtf, LOL. Sounds amazing. Seems like I'll really have some fun with it.

Guys, any chances for a Portal 1 & 2 bundle showing up later? I remember seeing one last year which went for $5 or so.

Radio

So SNOW has grown on me a bit since I gave my first impression. I've spent the past hour or so playing strictly in first-person, and it's quite fun even without sound. I'd be fine if they ditch 3rd-person and just focus on this view completely during development. It really could separate it from all the other "extreme sports" games.

Here's a quick gif I made:

luowgm.gif

This could be incredible to play with Oculus Rift once you're done vomiting.

_hekk05

Banned
Walruses? Wtf, LOL. Sounds amazing. Seems like I'll really have some fun with it.

Guys, any chances for a Portal 1 & 2 bundle showing up later? I remember seeing one last year which went for $5 or so.

FUCKING WALRUSES. They have ice wolves and kid walruses as companions so you are never fighting them alone. Plus the actual walruses themselves use darts.

The only reason i went to try to hunt one was to make the walking stick. It increases move speed when equipped and can be used as a weapon too, abeit a weaker one than a spear. However, it will never break.

Derrick01

Banned

Deus Ex is my favorite game ever and I would laugh in someone's face if they told me the combat was good.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
notsureifserious.jpg

The story of Deus Ex was trash when the game first released and has gotten worse in hindsight as the industry, and the games they produce, have matured. The importance of Deus Ex was it's approach to game play, especially in the opening level.

Deus Ex is my favorite game ever and I would laugh in someone's face if they told me the combat was good.

Actually interacting with enemies? Yeah, it's pretty rough. The game was great because it allowed and encouraged players to explore and approach situations from multiple angles.

As fore Baulder's Gate. Go play Planescape: Torment, a masterpiece of storytelling dragged down by the functionally broken gameplay. Then play Balder's Gate 2.

Turfster

The story of Deus Ex was trash when the game first released and has gotten worse in hindsight as the industry, and the games they produce, have matured. The importance of Deus Ex was it's approach to game play, especially in the opening level.

As fore Baulder's Gate. Go play Planescape: Torment, a masterpiece of storytelling dragged down by the functionally broken gameplay. Then play Balder's Gate 2.

You're focusing on the wrong thing here.
Both (well, all 3, technically) are definitely not known for their combat =p

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Exactly! It's a good style for a first playthrough and I often suggest it myself because it eliminates the disconnect of pointing the reticule directly on an enemy, shooting, and missing completely. However, once you realize that it's really no different from the way you miss attacks in a game like Diablo, most other builds are actually fun to play.

The lack of visual feedback is the problem. If it had big letters saying MISS like in other ARPGs the majority of the complaints about it being "buggy" wouldn't have happened.

Hmm, now I wonder how Borderlands would have fared had it not had the damage numbers, "miss", and "critical" show up in such an apparent manner. Though I do recall some complaints on various boards about it as well when it came to people missing a shot with the sniper riffle and getting pissed off when they had a "perfectly lined up shot".

There were some great story telling moments in Deus Ex. As a whole I agree the story was pretty messy, and the characters rather uninteresting. But I loved the overall theme, and there were some fantastic conversations. I particularly love the Morpheus encounter.

Where Deus Ex's story really shined IMO was in how it integrated with the gameplay. Characters reacting to your choices, etc. It's something that's done a lot these days, but I would wager was rather rare when the game was released.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hmmm if you guys could pick one game to get that pricing error which game would it have to be?
Honestly atm I can't come up with one really so it would be interesting what you guys come up with.
KuGsj.gif

DEADPOOL IS 75% OFF!

Everyone! GET IT!

I can get some nice pizza for that price. Pass

I'm on an RPG kick after marathoning the Witcher series. Just started Skyrim, very lttp with that. I'm six hours in and I have to say, I'm loving it. It's like Fallout with a medieval/fantasy setting. This game is going to eat my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom