• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not own titan quest on steam. How? I will keep avoiding it so I'll be the last person on steam to not own it. Tell my story to your grandchildren so they can pass it on to other generations. You can't win, titan quest.

Garcia

Should I get Titan Quest next? Is it that good?

I mean, I've been so pleasantly and positively surprised by all your recommendations that if you guys tell me "buy it", I'll do it.

_hekk05

Banned
I do not own titan quest on steam. How? I will keep avoiding it so I'll be the last person on steam to not own it. Tell my story to your grandchildren so they can pass it on to other generations. You can't win, titan quest.

Heh. I shall foil your dastardly plans by doing absolutely NOTHING!! For you see, I too don't have Titan Quest. Muahahahahaha!!!

Triggaaar

Neo Member
You get 100 XP for creating one badge. I would suggest getting all the cards from your games. Then sell some cards from one game to buy the cards for another to complete its set.

Buy some cheap cards from the marketplace and craft some badges.
Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately, I can't do that, as I don't have access to the community market :( My first steam purchase this year was in the sales, and you need a purchase over 30 days ago, and under a year, to use the market.

I killed Elodie D:
JQEu94U.jpg

Have Ubisoft ever said why the Assassin's Creed series doesn't support 16:10(it letter boxes with black bars)? I've only been using this monitor for a few months and it's the only case I've run into so far with a modern series.

So Long Live The Queen... I've played a couple of games and I can't say I like it very much. I can see the attraction well enough. but basically I found myself just clicking and half-reading until something happened, going "oh ok" and starting again. The second time through I was even less interested in what was going on and just randomly selected classes to see what would occur, the same with the third run.

There seems to be a lot of scope for different options and I'd say it is well done for what it is. But ultimately I just don't think that the base game is very enjoyable.

Just finished my first play through of LLTQ.

I knew I shouldn't have accepted the invitation to a party and brushed up on battlefield medicine.

Serves me right for playing games

Seeing as how this is how you, the poster several posts up, and I all died on our first run in the game I'm assuming it's really the first opportunity to get murdered that the game gives you? Perhaps there's some truly awful decisions that could be made prior to lead to an earlier attempt but that seems to be the first one that relies entirely on skills to get through.

And since everyone keeps asking what the game is like it breaks down to this:

- You have one of eight moods each week determined by gauges.

- Depending on the mood it can boost the speed at which you can learn a ton of different skills.

- You select which two skills you want to focus on for that week choosing to incorporate the bonuses from your mood or not.

- After your lessons it goes into Visual Novel/Choose-Your-Own-Adventure territory as something will happen in the story and typically it'll react based off of skill checks (e.g. you're at a ball so it checks your dancing skill for one part of that story event). It'll also occasionally give choices to pick for story events (these seem to have larger implications over longer arcs).

- Lastly you decide how to spend the weekend at the castle and this is just picking from activities that raise or lower different moods to determine the highest mood for the next week's stat bonuses.

And that's pretty much it. You'll fail a TON of skill checks which usually makes the princess look like an idiot in her internal monologue. And eventually it'll lead to your death. Like other visual novels you can hold Ctrl when you replay after a death to zip through dialogue you've seen so you can skip quickly back through repeated sections and try out new choices and move the story along.

Coldsun

Banned
Have Ubisoft ever said why the Assassin's Creed series doesn't support 16:10(it letter boxes with black bars)? I've only been using this monitor for a few months and it's the only case I've run into so far with a modern series.

You can probably use flawless widescreen ( www.wsgf.org has links) for AC:Black Flag.

The previous games may also have fixes at the previously mentioned sites.

Ceebs

So I drowned the princess, but I did get my first foil card from the game and made back 1.50 of the price I paid for the game.

yuraya

Help

I am ashamed (for many reasons).

I'm only a Steam level 4 user, and all the community votes I've cast have netted me zero cards (they're being saved up until I'm level 5, but they'll melt in a few days). So I need to get to level 5 pronto.

What's the easiest way to gain another 100 XP (without spending loads of cash on more games)?
Is it east to get the 100 XP by collecting cards in the following games I've not yet played:
Bastion
Long Live The Queen
System Shock 2
Tomb Raider

Thanks

You can also do the pillar of the community for some easy exp. But your best bet would be to obtain some cards from those games and than trade them around until you have a full set for one game so you can craft a badge. Go to the trading forums for what ever games you have and ask for trades until you have a full set for one game.

_hekk05

Banned
Seeing as how this is how you, the poster several posts up, and I all died on our first run in the game I'm assuming it's really the first opportunity to get murdered that the game gives you? Perhaps there's some truly awful decisions that could be made prior to lead to an earlier attempt but that seems to be the first one that relies entirely on skills to get through.

And since everyone keeps asking what the game is like it breaks down to this:

- You have one of eight moods each week determined by gauges.

- Depending on the mood it can boost the speed at which you can learn a ton of different skills.

- You select which two skills you want to focus on for that week choosing to incorporate the bonuses from your mood or not.

- After your lessons it goes into Visual Novel/Choose-Your-Own-Adventure territory as something will happen in the story and typically it'll react based off of skill checks (e.g. you're at a ball so it checks your dancing skill for one part of that story event). It'll also occasionally give choices to pick for story events (these seem to have larger implications over longer arcs).

- Lastly you decide how to spend the weekend at the castle and this is just picking from activities that raise or lower different moods to determine the highest mood for the next week's stat bonuses.

And that's pretty much it. You'll fail a TON of skill checks which usually makes the princess look like an idiot in her internal monologue. And eventually it'll lead to your death. Like other visual novels you can hold Ctrl when you replay after a death to zip through dialogue you've seen so you can skip quickly back through repeated sections and try out new choices and move the story along.

Actually, I think there's a way to die earlier. In week 16, an assassin has a chance to kill you. In week 20, you can get strangled by magical chains. The bandits are in week 28.

Bri

What happened to I H8 Memes? I can't find him in the gift-helpers on the first page or when I search for him on Steam.

Anyone else from the US who wants to help out with gifting Brothers?

Cerity

So Prison game broken and not good? Not seeing much talk on it

Prison Architect? It's actually quite good. It's early access and they're bringing plenty of content with each update. I think no one talks about it because it's been on sale a few times already and it's been in early access for so long.

Wow! Brothers is actually kind of fun. It strikes that Zelda balance where the puzzles aren't particularly difficult but you feel clever every time for solving something. Played about an hour so far and I'm finding the gimmick pretty interesting. Struggling to coordinate my hands sometimes though, shit gets confusing.

Li Kao

Mmh, maybe I'm scarred for life, but what is the Amnesia creature doing in the middle of the screen ?

So I was only going to buy deadly premonition, but Ive been out all this pass week and I dont know if it has already gone on sale.
Is there a chance to appear again in the dailys or flash?

Also, is Godus any good right now? I watched a video of Peter Molineaux showing it and had a lot of potential. Of course "Dont believe his lies" and all that jazz lol

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Long Live the Queen is neither an RPG or a strategy game. I've also seen people compare it to FTL and roguelikes - which is completely deceiving. I also wouldn't call it a Visual Novel. It's a simulation game, which in itself is of course a pretty vague and broad genre, but that's what I would classify it as. Closest game to it is Princess Maker.

http://www.hanakogames.com/ has a short list of "Life Simulation Games" which includes LLtQ. Doubt many have ever played the others though.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Prison Architect? It's actually quite good. It's early access and they're bringing plenty of content with each update. I think no one talks about it because it's been on sale a few times already and it's been in early access for so long.

Hmm. Cuz it looks like a super cool tycoon game. I just wish it was slightly cheaper or not still in alpha. Making me hesitate on it.

oipic

Titan Quest seemingly selling so well more than justifies it winning the vote - very happy to see lots of extra folks getting a chance to play it.

I had seriously underestimated how many Steam users hadn't otherwise picked it up elsewhere already, but I guess this serves as something of a reminder that we frequenters of GAF, and particularly this thread, are quite possibly the outliers and the exceptions, rather than the norm.

soontroll

Banned
Help

I am ashamed (for many reasons).

I'm only a Steam level 4 user, and all the community votes I've cast have netted me zero cards (they're being saved up until I'm level 5, but they'll melt in a few days). So I need to get to level 5 pronto.

What's the easiest way to gain another 100 XP (without spending loads of cash on more games)?
Is it east to get the 100 XP by collecting cards in the following games I've not yet played:
Bastion
Long Live The Queen
System Shock 2
Tomb Raider

Thanks

Community Ambassador badge is free and requires like 5 minutes of your time. I faced the same problem a few days ago and I was advised to spend like 50p on Rogue Legacy trading cards to craft into a badge. It's the cheapest one.

Yozi

Neo Member
What happened to I H8 Memes? I can't find him in the gift-helpers on the first page or when I search for him on Steam.

Anyone else from the US who wants to help out with gifting Brothers?
Last I saw he was a bit mad at never getting any foils or something, even after so many sales of buying stuff for other people.

i need sale card number 8. got 10, 9 and 5 for trade

I could trade you for #5.

Durante

What's with the (sporadic) Titan Quest hate? I also wanted Volgarr to win, but Titan Quest is the best Diablo-like game after Diablo 2.

Just did another run where I maxed out athletic and weapon skills...and was killed after eating a chocolate.

It reminds me a lot of the adult games I played way back when... but a politically themed one without any raunchy content. Maybe I've just been ruined on the genre or something... I don't know.

Thanks for the recommendation, still an interesting game to try out. But I've just done the old uninstall.

Milamber

Just did another run where I maxed out athletic and weapon skills...and was killed after eating a chocolate.

It reminds me a lot of the adult games I played way back when... but a politically themed one without any raunchy content. Maybe I've just been ruined on the genre or something... I don't know.

Thanks for the recommendation, still an interesting game to try out. But I've just done the old uninstall.

Nah, can't beat Princess Maker.

EDIT: Damn, I want to play it again but those graphics...
EDIT 2: Gonna load up Custom Maid 3D instead. Aww Yeah...

Got Long Live the Queen. So I got every game I was hoping to get this sale.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm ready for this sale to be done. It goes on too long. The sale part is ok but the 3 times daily flash sales and community votes are draining going into the second week.

Triggaaar

Neo Member
Thank you for the replies, I appreciate the help.
You can also do the pillar of the community for some easy exp.
I thought that was my best option, but it says level 1 gives 0 XP for doing 14 of the 26 tasks. Perhaps level 2 gives some XP?

But your best bet would be to obtain some cards from those games and than trade them around until you have a full set for one game so you can craft a badge. Go to the trading forums
I assume I can't do that until Steam lets me use the Community Marketplace?

Community Ambassador badge is free and requires like 5 minutes of your time.
So I just need to do some of the community tasks?

I faced the same problem a few days ago and I was advised to spend like 50p on Rogue Legacy trading cards to craft into a badge. It's the cheapest one.
As above, I don't think I can do that, as the Marketplace is not open to me.

So I was only going to buy deadly premonition, but Ive been out all this pass week and I dont know if it has already gone on sale.
Is there a chance to appear again in the dailys or flash?

Also, is Godus any good right now? I watched a video of Peter Molineaux showing it and had a lot of potential. Of course "Dont believe his lies" and all that jazz lol
As far as I know deadly premonition has not been a deal yet. It lost a community vote so the chance of it showing up as a daily/flash is fairly high. I hope I'm not getting the fall and holiday sales confused. Ahhh so many sales help me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finished Brothers. Quick thoughts:

-Looks gorgeous, the "aftermath of what seems to be a giants battle" level is amazing
-Speaking of, that one and the castle one where you save the baby chimera griphon were my favorite levels
-Big brother dying was predictable as shit (see what happens when you dont follow bros before hos!) but I liked how after it had a little mechanic of the younger one being able to do things he couldnt by himself still using the left trigger as if his brother was "looking over his shoulder"
-Also, making you physically bury your brother was quite fucked up, in a good way.
-Yay baby chimera griphon thing didnt die

Overall, loved it
even with the cliche death
, I wouldnt go to the hyperbole of greatest game ever or anything like that, but its very good, and easily one of my favorites this year.

Also, does this mean Brothers is
a Last Guardian prequel
? o_O

Got Long Live the Queen. So I got every game I was hoping to get this sale.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm ready for this sale to be done. It goes on too long. The sale part is ok but the 3 times daily flash sales and community votes are draining going into the second week.
When each year adds another million concurrent users you gotta cater to new people. That's just how it is. I hope next year they add an 8 hour cooldown to Flash sales just like daily deals that get to stay on the front page for a total of 48 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom