• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

What's with the (sporadic) Titan Quest hate? I also wanted Volgarr to win, but Titan Quest is the best Diablo-like game after Diablo 2.

Don't get it either, game was fun as hell. It had some inbalance problems and went too long for some chapters, but I had great fun with it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When each year adds another million concurrent users you gotta cater to new people. That's just how it is. I hope next year they add an 8 hour cooldown to Flash sales just like daily deals that get to stay on the front page for a total of 48 hours.

I was saying yesterday how I think the sale goes on too long, 1 week would be good. Everyone is drained by the second week, money wise and otherwise, just look at the thread.

Arthea

Anybody has spare left out of Gas Guzzlers 4 pack to sell? I went to sleep and woke up knowing that I want it after all, (wanted to sleep more when deal was active (><)

LLTQ is a kawaii version of GoT

This is true!

And about earlier post in thread, if you just skip through dialogue without reading it, you are doing it wrong... It's OK when playing repeatedly if you remember it, but you really need to know what's going on to make better decisions.

Ziophaelin

Don't get it either, game was fun as hell. It had some inbalance problems and went too long for some chapters, but I had great fun with it.

TQ is actually a really good game once it was fixed with the ExPac. I liked its theme too. Only thing that surprises me is that the game is 7 years old.

So perhaps its being exposed to a whole new generation or something :O

I bought the christmas DLC for Payday 2 and got 3 extra copies to give away.

header_292x136.jpg

Hit me up on Steam if you want one: http://steamcommunity.com/id/teowind/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Have Ubisoft ever said why the Assassin's Creed series doesn't support 16:10(it letter boxes with black bars)? I've only been using this monitor for a few months and it's the only case I've run into so far with a modern series.

It's simply laziness. See also: Ubi never patching AssCreed 2's utterly buggered LOD system or no proper support for the wireless X360 controller until Brotherhood (the first two games, to this day, require a fix). The really annoying thing? Previous games don't have black bars in non-16:9 resolutions if you're using a multi-monitor setup, meaning Ubi can't be arsed to expand this to single-monitor resolutions.

_hekk05

Banned
Anybody has spare left out of Gas Guzzlers 4 pack to sell? I went to sleep and woke up knowing that I want it after all, (wanted to sleep more when deal was active (><)

This is true!

And about earlier post in thread, if you just skip through dialogue without reading it, you are doing it wrong... It's OK when playing repeatedly if you remember it, but you really need to know what's going on to make better decisions.

Actually, with different playthroughs and different skill builds, checks that you might have failed previously can pass and offer new dialogues and options. These dialogues can offer you good information in the future. Also, there are hidden checks that are not mentioned, so you should always read the dialogue.

Arthea

Actually, with different playthroughs and different skill builds, checks that you might have failed previously can pass and offer new dialogues and options. These dialogues can offer you good information in the future. Also, there are hidden checks that are not mentioned, so you should always read the dialogue.
yup, that's true, I had in mind, you can skip dialogue when in exactly same situations as before.

As far as I know deadly premonition has not been a deal yet. It lost a community vote so the chance of it showing up as a daily/flash is fairly high. I hope I'm not getting the fall and holiday sales confused. Ahhh so many sales help me.

Thanks! Ive seen we have a lots of days left. Will be with my eye open for it.

I was saying yesterday how I think the sale goes on too long, 1 week would be good. Everyone is drained by the second week, money wise and otherwise, just look at the thread.
GAF is a tiny sample when compared to the worldwide market. I kinda figured we were past looking at GAF as a good barometer of sales trends and consumer activity considering how often that argument gets shot down in all the console sales discussions here. I'm sure all the little guys in these sales also appreciate the extra days a lot more than us forum goers do. For them it's an opportunity to make money and get their software out there. It's not always about us.

Actually, I think there's a way to die earlier. In week 16, an assassin has a chance to kill you. In week 20, you can get strangled by magical chains. The bandits are in week 28.

Just rushed through a second time with a different build in hopes of getting past the bandits and while I got through one skill check I then failed those right after and died again.

I'm curious how you get those two other death chances to come around. I did some pretty drastically different things this time around and while a fair bit of story stuff went in other directions I didn't really catch hints of how those two you listed might come from.

It's fun to load up to rush through one session between other stuff.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Merry Soundtrackmas:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Payday 2 A Merry Payday Christmas Soundtrack DLC #1 -- MB-4F75417A922E064A - Taken by Volcynika
Payday 2 A Merry Payday Christmas Soundtrack DLC #3 -- MB-FB9BEFE1266422E7 - Taken by VikasNarula
Payday 2 A Merry Payday Christmas Soundtrack DLC #2 -- MB-28125203EF3AD86F - Taken by _hekk05

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
GAF is a tiny sample when compared to the worldwide market. I kinda figured we were past looking at GAF as a good barometer of sales trends and consumer activity considering how often that argument gets shot down in all the console sales discussions here. I'm sure all the little guys in these sales also appreciate the extra days a lot more than us forum goers do. For them it's an opportunity to make money and get their software out there. It's not always about us.

when I did Steam Sales threads on GB years ago I noticed the same trend, excitment the first week, not so much the second. Hell even among my real life friends its the same. I was just using this thread as an example, not as proof :)

Although I do agree on you that it helps more devs, but then again, the repeat daily/flash/votes system for example could be used to give more games (and more devs) sale lots, especially the daily and flash repeats

Goddamn at the amount of new games I have bought so far and I thought the daily sales have been lackluster each and every day.

Well, time to play some more Fallout 2

Arthea

As for genre of Long live the Queen, after longer consideration I would say it's a mix between light sim and VN.
And I'll repeat myself, but buy it! It's great fun.

Foetoid

Neo Member
Not impressed that scummy scammy steam died after offering a free game.

"Hey you can have L4D2 for free. OR CAN YOU"

I feel like i got trolled so badly. As an Aussie, i refuse to pay money for a game thats been so brutally censored (and hasn't even been uncensored yet since we got the R18+ rating), but i would have happily had it for free.

Now i got a bunch of steam friends all hooking into the game, wanting me to play with em. I'm just going to let them gift it to me, if Valve is gonna troll me like that, i ain't giving them a cent for it.

That being said, i've probably spent more on this Christmas sale than any previous year. Very happy with it.

backdrifter

Neo Member
Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gun Monkeys -- MB-135813B1B2FDD766 - Taken by Out_Of_Ammo. 16 entrants total.
Crusader Kings II -- MB-D5410BBCE4F113C5 - Taken by StAidan. 16 entrants total.

t1388330948z1.png

Ruze789

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate the help.I thought that was my best option, but it says level 1 gives 0 XP for doing 14 of the 26 tasks. Perhaps level 2 gives some XP?

Level 1 gives you 100 xp, and Level 2 gives you another 100 xp. I just did these at the beginning of the week, it doesn't take too long. And I think you only need 22 or 24 of the 26 for level 2, so you shouldn't need to buy from the marketplace to complete it.

_hekk05

Banned
Just rushed through a second time with a different build in hopes of getting past the bandits and while I got through one skill check I then failed those right after and died again.

I'm curious how you get those two other death chances to come around. I did some pretty drastically different things this time around and while a fair bit of story stuff went in other directions I didn't really catch hints of how those two you listed might come from.

It's fun to load up to rush through one session between other stuff.

Eeh if you really want to know you can check the wiki. Otherwise just keep experimenting. I know for a fact that if your archery + reflexes > 100, you can dodge the arrow.

when I did Steam Sales threads on GB years ago I noticed the same trend, excitment the first week, not so much the second. Hell even among my real life friends its the same. I was just using this thread as an example, not as proof :)

Although I do agree on you that it helps more devs, but then again, the repeat daily/flash/votes system for example could be used to give more games (and more devs) sale lots, especially the daily and flash repeats
Seriously

Flash sales need to refresh for an extra eight hours on the front page just like daily deals get an extra 24 hours even when a new round of daily deals are up. Games like KOF, Skullgirls and the other indie games could use it. Steam could also stand to add an extra 3 slots to daily deals and throw more failed community votes a bone. Dat front page space is a valuable commodity, man. Also, we Americans don't know how to pace ourselves. Makes sense that we would run out of steam (I'm sorry) by the second week.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Woke up to see Volgarr lost.

Sadness :(

My most wanted game this sale.

scotcheggz

Based Gaben delivered for me the last 24 hours, Brothers, Shelter and Long Live the Queen. The three games I was interested in checking out this sale, awesome!

Triggaaar

Neo Member
Level 1 gives you 100 xp, and Level 2 gives you another 100 xp.
Thanks. It's weird, on my badges page it says:
Pillar of Community
0 XP

Maybe that means I've got 0 XP so far, but on the same page it says
Long live the Queen
Princess Ingenue
100 XP

So I'm doing the community stuff, and to that end...
would someone be my friend please :)

Anteater

hmm, don't know if i should get long live the queen or not... I'm not really sure what other games I wanted to get either.

fuck this i'm just going to go back and play don't starve

9a5nxsenkt.gif

Garcia

No more hallucinations for me in Don't Starve :D.

Silly me, I was eating my food RAW and not sleeping at all.

Onto my 6th try, getting ready to explore the world even further now that I know what I need to survive.

_hekk05

Banned
Thanks. It's weird, on my badges page it says:
Pillar of Community
0 XP

Maybe that means I've got 0 XP so far, but on the same page it says
Long live the Queen
Princess Ingenue
100 XP

So I'm doing the community stuff, and to that end...
would someone be my friend please :)

You have to complete enough tasks to unlock 100 exp, complete 22 out of 26 to unlock another 100 exp

fantomena

Everyone needs to buy Dust: An Elysian Tale. It's one of the best Steam releases this year. The game is fantastic in all aspects. The graphics, the art style, the music, the sound, the gameplay, everything is just top notch and out of my 1093 games I actually finished Dust with not a single regret.

The PC port is magnificent. There are so many settings in the options it's insane. You can adjust the hud, post processing, weather effects, depth of field, potrait quality and much more. Dust is one of the best PC ports of all time in my eyes. And the huge thing is that the game is made by one man (music is made by some other aweome people), but everything else than the music is made by one person, and he is Noogy and he is a GAFfer.

Dust is such an awesome game at every aspect and I recommend everyone to buy the game before it ends as a daily deal (and at 75% off it is a steal).

Buy it from Steam, Amazon, GOG whatever. It needs to be played and Noogy and Dust deserves every bit of attention for this magnificent masterpiece of a game.

dust-an-elysian-tail-xbox-360-1345475788-017.jpeg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236090/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom