• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished Brothers. Man, that was really enjoyable. Probably could have used an extra scenario or two since I wrapped it up in about 2 and half hours. As far as the story,
I expected the big brother to die and that's what happened, despite the predictability the way the aftermath was played out was pretty moving. Having to bury him was pretty morbid, actually. I tried wiggling the left stick as I was dragging him with little bro and nothing happened. I got excited when the little owl griffon dude showed up (this thing is seriously one of the cutest things I've ever seen, the sound it makes <3), I thought that might mean there's a way for things to come back to life but it didn't play out that way. Using big bro to swim that section was a nice touch and having to redo the first section solo... right in the feels, man. It occured to me right at the end that neither the mother nor older brother are in buried beneath their tombstones, then I felt bad for the dad. The ending would have came on a bit stronger had the game not been as short but I reckon it was still pretty strong.

Pretty good game, handling two characters is novel and fairly well executed I think. A bit difficult initially when I couldn't keep track of what I was pushing when. At least I can see where people are coming from when they say its one of the best things they've ever played. Still dumbfounded by Gone Home though

Forkball

I'm enjoying Long Live the Queen. It's a visual novel/bar-filling skill-check game, but there's a lot of unexpected situations and outcomes. My first try I got pretty far but had no real way to combat the last situation, and on my second try I attempted to prepare for my folly from the first game, but ended up dying on something simple because I didn't train for it. I recommend it for people who like visual novel type games.

I know it goes against the spirit of the steam sales, but I actually finished one of the games I bought over the xmas period. Brothers - A Tale of Sons. What a joyous, melancholic, whimsical, sad, amusing, ethereal experience. Definitely jumps into my top 10 games played this year. It's rare to go into a game with zero expectations and no idea how it works mechanically, but it really is a treat to see something unfold in the most unusual, but delightful way. Wonderful game.

As for the rest of my games. They'll fester in my backlog, mocking me for throwing money at them and knowing they'll never be completed in any reasonable amount of time. Still, nice to be able to beat at least one steam game this year.

Hmm, looks like it could be fun, although it seems like it would play better with touch controls (note: I could be completely wrong about this)
Yeah, that could work well.

It's impossible with a controller.

It's actually not that great of a game, I liked it at first and then it was just, bleh.

The must selection is fantastic though.

Knurek

Hmm, looks like it could be fun, although it seems like it would play better with touch controls (note: I could be completely wrong about this)

Completely playable with mouse, slightly less playable with a gamepad.
Custom music generation is/was? a bit wonky, but the included patterns are fine for at least a few hours of fun.

Divius

Don't Starve is so addictive. I keep neglecting sanity in favor of exploration at breakneck speed.
I'm trying to get into the game but it just doesn't click with me. It also does not help I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.
inb4 smartass 'dont' starve' comment

How is Long Live the Queen? Is the writing in it particularly good?
It's not offensive if you are worried about being drowned in "pervy" and "moe". The dialogue is very straightforward about the precariousness of the situation, the possible threats lurking in innocent gifts and nobles/travelers. It does a good job of framing the main character as someone who is very delicate to approach despite how much she has to learn. The classes also provide nice bits of information about the kingdom and the lands beyond. I've been at it for three hours and died somewhere around the 28ish week mark twice already iirc. I think it shouldn't be too hard to get a solid 10 hours out of the game if you read things carefully and search up what moods produce the best bonuses. I like to take my time so it may be longer than that for me.

Danielsan

I'm trying to get into the game but it just doesn't click with me. It also does not help I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.
inb4 smartass 'dont' starve' comment
That's the thing though. It is your objective. Trying to survive the game. Set up camp. Explore the map. Now granted there is an extra objective which I won't spoil, but I'd suggest giving yourself little goals. Like making it through the winter. Or crafting a certain item.

Danielsan

By the way.

Is there any way to get things like DOTA 2 test and Left 4 Dead 2 beta
out of your inventory? It bothers the hell out of me.

U08BfTW.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
By the way.

Is there any way to get things like DOTA 2 test and Left 4 Dead 2 beta
out of your inventory? It bothers the hell out of me.

No. Since you own them. There's no way to "hide" titles unless you put them in different categories and collapse them.

Chalk it up to another thing the client needs to be upgraded for (the other being 64-bit support)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there aa way to get less space between games in grid view without changing skin?

Open Steam\resource\layout\gamespage_grid.layout and change "interiorspacing" to -1 (or your preferred value). Some may say that changing the value in the skin's own layout file is also necessary but in my experience the former has priority.

nbraun80

So do the snow globe cards go poof after the sale or are they always in your inventory? Can't use the marketplace so I didn't know if I should wait to sell or just trade them off now.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Thought I'd spend multiple cents on some globes to get the XP needed to level up to 5, but I get this notice for everything I try to buy.
buYGXzZ.png

Trying it on the Steam client tells me I might not have cookies enabled... what? Why aren't they letting me spend my money on this pointless shit?

fantomena

Open Steam\resource\layout\gamespage_grid.layout and change "interiorspacing" to -1 (or your preferred value). Some may say that changing the value in the skin's own layout file is also necessary but in my experience the former has priority.

It did fix horizontal, but not vertical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom