• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Swapper bought. This sale has been a success for me, every game I wanted got a sale and my wishlist shrunk quite a bit.

LuuKyK

I really liked the demo for Heroes Might and Magic IV. Not sure if the full game is worth it though. And steam has been such a pain to deal with, to add credit and such takes days so I don't even think I will bother. Oh well.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I just bought Spelunky on PS3, I haven't even started it and I'm thinking of buying it on Steam. What am I doing?

Please someone answer his question. I wanna buy NV but if the Ultimate edition is way better then I will wait until it's $5.

FvwcKyz.jpg

If anybodys interested in Total War Rome 2 I have an extra steam key which includes the greek states dlc that I bought of a fellow gaffer. I'm selling at cost for 13bucks.

Alright, so here we go.

Risk of Rain may be in my top 5 games of 2013.

For a game made by 2 people for 10 bucks on the regular, it is completely worth every penny of it and more. I've spent more time on this game than most AAA, AA, A and whatever other letter releases. It's just that addicting.

In it's simplest terms, it is a race to the end of each stage's teleporter before the difficulty which increases with time makes things too difficult for you to survive. Once at the teleporter you have to survive 90 seconds as the boss monster spawns, as well as normal monsters at an accelerated rate. Once you've killed them all, boom next stage. Rinse and repeat til the end.

Now, this may make it sound somewhat repetitive to some but it is much like Spelunky in that it doesn't quite matter due to how differently each game can go. When you die, and trust me you will die frequently and pitiably, it isn't frustrating but rather causes you to click on the new game button again as you "knew you could make it just a little farther, just if you dodged that right or had the right item you definitely could've gotten past this part" Each death spurs you onward to move just a little farther, do just a little better. It encourages you instead of discouraging.

Gameplay is quite varied. You choose your character (starting with one, unlocking more along the way [a lot more]) who has 4 different abilities; generally the main one which is their main attack and has no or a special cooldown. Then three abilities that relate to how the character is played, each with their own cooldown. So you take this character with it's four abilities and try to survive, running around the stages and killing monsters to level up and get money to buy items.

Leveling is simple, you merely gain HP and damage at each level up. Nothing to pick or keep track of to take you away from the game.

Now items, items are what make this game. You will unlock more and more and more items, and these will be what win the game for you. Items that drop mines when you take big hits, items that heal you if you stand still for more than 2 seconds, items that give a % chance to launch a missile when you attack, items that cause every 4th shot to pierce through enemies to hit anything behind them, items that freeze enemies, that blow them up when they die, that do anything and everything. They stack, they're bought with your money in little random chests, they're what'll keep you alive.

This game is a tremendous little game. I am thoroughly impressed by how addicting and fun it simply is. I suggest you give it a try, it is as far from disappointing as you can get.

This is a simple explanation of it and I could drone on for hours about it (much to my friends' irritation) but I'll save you from that. Let's just say it is an incredible amount of fun as you learn each character who plays DRASTICALLY differently and try to get to the end.

Also, dude who would buy it for 5 bucks, is there a way I can just give you 1.69 through Steam? Just so you're willing to buy it?

fl0w

Soo... Total War: Rome II?

I played the hell out of the first Rome but haven't really gotten into any of the others. The state at release was beta at best from what I've heard so that turned me off, but has it gotten better since then?
Would you recommend it if you liked the original Rome?

Alright, reposting this from the last thread. Risk of Rain is on sale for 24 hours. There is NO EXCUSE now. Also, some of what I said doesn't fit but re-editing old posts is for chumps and people with self-respect

-------------------------------------------

Alright gentlemen, Risk of Rain won and it looks like the store messed up a little around it so it kept changing price. Right now, as I look at it is at 6.69.

Please please please don't NOT buy this game because it said it was 70 cents less than it is now. That is a silly reason to not let yourself play an incredibly amazing game. It is less than 10 dollars, it is the price of a decent sandwich. Swallow your pride and take the plunge and you will not be disappointed. I swear to you.

Hell, I'll buy someone a damn copy of the game if it's still too high for you. This is a game that deserves support and play. It is phenomenal. Do not let a mistake that wasn't even the developer's fault hurt them or you. Make the right choice.

*this message has been approved by a really annoying poster who loves Risk of Rain

Post approved by PandaPedinte

T.O.P

Banned
It looks cool and promising initially despite the bad voice acting, but it gets weird and nonsensical near the middle(?), I stopped playing at this point. There's better games to spend your time on.

The first area is kinda survival-ish and has a cool atmosphere, but after that the game goes off the rails and it becomes a dull platformer with bad controls.

imo...

Think i'll skip on this one then, thanks :)

mannerbot

Alright, so here we go.

Risk of Rain may be in my top 5 games of 2013.

I was interested in it when I first heard of it, but then I read up a little about it and watched some vids etc. Seems like an unlock/loot-driven game with a bunch of shit on screen, is that an unfair assessment (because I'm not interested if so)?

Derrick01

Banned
Please someone answer his question. I wanna buy NV but if the Ultimate edition is way better then I will wait until it's $5.

The DLC ranges from decent to great. If you want to find out the complete story of the courier, which isn't covered that much in the main game, then you'll need them all. I think Dead Money (the 1st) was the worst of the bunch but it was still decent, it just gets a little TOO talky at times. Old World Blues (the 3rd) is one of the best DLCs from last generation though.

gilljoy

Damnit,

I wanted to get the Old Gods for Crusader Kings 2 and I thought, the DLC collection will have all the DLC included.

Don't I feel like a right Nob. Anyone know the cheapest place to get it?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I was interested in it when I first heard of it, but then I read up a little about it and watched some vids etc. Seems like an unlock/loot-driven game with a bunch of shit on screen, is that an unfair assessment (because I'm not interested if so)?

Not loot driven in the way that Diablo or something like that is, but more like Binding of Isaac. Your item pickups don't guarantee success aren't aren't a prerequisite for it, but they do influence how easy it can be and they impact your playstyle by giving you different abilities.

Yes, though. There is an awful lot of shit on the screen. The main mechanic is that the longer you play, the higher the difficulty goes. Higher difficulty is generally stronger and more enemies coming at you.

Omega

Banned
Guys, NewVegas Ultimate or Vanilla? Is the DLC worth it?

Only reason why I dont double dip. Also, the cost of buying all the DLC separately is pretty high right now.

i want to replay Citadel/Leviathan on PC, but i would end up paying more for two DLCs than I did for all 3 Mass Effects.

it's kind of pathetic that neither DLCs ever go on sale.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Given my limited financial flexibility going forward, I am looking at how to spend my last $35 in Steam credit. Part of me wants to splurge on some of the indie titles today. Part of me thinks there'll be an early 2014 HIB and almost no good 2013 indies got bundled.

Risk of Rain is probably safe for a while, though, I'll definitely pick that up.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I'm guessing I should vote for...Arma 3? No clue about any of these games.

Probably just The Swapper for me. Will have to think about Dust and RoR but realistically it's probably gonna be a no on both.

mannerbot

Not loot driven in the way that Diablo or something like that is, but more like Binding of Isaac. Your item pickups don't guarantee success aren't aren't a prerequisite for it, but they do influence how easy it can be and they impact your playstyle by giving you different abilities.

I like Isaac, bought it on release and would've played more but it ran like shit on my computer for no good reason, haha. Risk of Rain seems more in the Rogue Legacy camp of grindy games so that turned me off, plus when I tuned in to livestreams for a second it was literally just a guy flying around kiting a swarm of little enemies the whole time.

gngf123

Let's try this ModBot thing. Confusing as hell.

It's not that bad.

If you are sending a game, put the title as register, and in the body put the name of the game, one of the symbols ( : - or |), and then the key or link to the gift URL. If a game has one of those symbols in the name, then use the same symbol to separate.

Then use the keywords to set the rules.

Given my limited financial flexibility going forward, I am looking at how to spend my last $35 in Steam credit. Part of me wants to splurge on some of the indie titles today. Part of me thinks there'll be an early 2014 HIB and almost no good 2013 indies got bundled.

Risk of Rain is probably safe for a while, though, I'll definitely pick that up.

The next big humble bundle will be in a month or two if they keep the pace up, so that sounds about right.

Okay about FNV and modding: I'm not very knowledgable about files and changing code in files, etc. One reason I've avoiding mods is because I worry that I'll mess something up and not know how to fix it

Is it simple to mod FNV?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I like Isaac, bought it on release and would've played more but it ran like shit on my computer for no good reason, haha. Risk of Rain seems more in the Rogue Legacy camp of grindy games so that turned me off, plus when I tuned in to livestreams for a second it was literally just a guy flying around kiting a swarm of little enemies the whole time.

It's definitely more Isaac than Rogue Legacy. Much like Isaac, you get items unlocked in future playthroughs for completing specific in game tasks. Make it to a certain level, beat a type of enemy X times on a playthrough, dodge a number of lethal attacks with one class's specific ability. There's no "experience" that carries from session to session like in Rogue Legacy. You need to improve at the game to get the unlocks (or at least play the game a certain way), you can't just grind your way into getting better items.

legacyzero

Banned
My Game of the Generation, GAF!

I feel strongly about this giveaway, because I hold Fallout 3 and New Vegas very close to me. Also, know that this game is great for modding, so don't forget some high res texture mods, etc. Otherwise, the game kinda looks like ass.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fallout: New Vegas -- MB-B5F5FF6CE53823C8 - Taken by liezryou. 24 entrants total.

t1388343549z1.png

I hope this works. My first time using ModBot to gift, so if it doesn't work, I'll gift it directly.

mannerbot

It's definitely more Isaac than Rogue Legacy. Much like Isaac, you get items unlocked in future playthroughs for completing specific in game tasks. Make it to a certain level, beat a type of enemy X times on a playthrough, dodge a number of lethal attacks with one class's specific ability. There's no "experience" that carries from session to session like in Rogue Legacy. You need to improve at the game to get the unlocks (or at least play the game a certain way), you can't just grind your way into getting better items.

Ah ok, thanks for the feedback. Won't get around to playing it anytime soon as I'm in the middle of my first Dark Souls playthrough (and won Teleglitch in a giveaway, seems like it'd scratch the same itch) but it'll go back on the wishlist.

My Game of the Generation, GAF!

I feel strongly about this giveaway, because I hold Fallout 3 and New Vegas very close to me. Also, know that this game is great for modding, so don't forget some high res texture mods, etc. Otherwise, the game kinda looks like ass.

Oh, great giveaway. Whoever wins this is in for a treat.

Divius

I'm still on the fence in regards to Spelunky*. I have little doubt I will love it, but I still play Rogue Legacy and Binding of Isaac regularly. There really isn't space for another rogue-like..
or is there

*Also applies to Risk of Rain

legacyzero

Banned
Does it still have the same dumb ass fighting mechanic? Id like to make a hack and slash game with it.. but ive never seen it done without some serious coding.

Yes, as a default. However, the engine uses Ruby as scripting, and there are A LOT of scripters out there who make code redily available online. So if you're looking for certain types of combat, somebody might have already made a script that you can simply copy and paste.

feel

If you don't have New Vegas shame on you, but at least you can fix that right now for a couple of bucks. Amazing experience.

mannerbot

I'm still on the fence in regards to Spelunky*. I have little doubt I will love it, but I still play Rogue Legacy and Binding of Isaac regularly. There really isn't space for another rogue-like..
or is there

*Also applies to Risk of Rain

Spelunky is better than all those games HOMEBOY

Risk of Rain looks terrific but what if somehow it shows up as a flash sale later? I might wait some more.

It wouldn't be less than the daily price, imagine how mad people would get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom