• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
can you say a little more about what makes this so good, or how it differs from/surpasses spelunky/nuclear throne/rogue legacy/teleglitch

It's just a really well done take on those games. It has a wide variety of items and classes to choose which varies the play a good bit, online and local co-op, and a nice difficulty level. I haven't played Nuclear Throne yet and haven't devoted nearly enough time to Teleglitch to give it a fair assessment, but so far I'd put Risk of Rain below Isaac and above Rogue Legacy because it doesn't have the progression tree (it has item unlocks much like Isaac, where you complete tasks in game to get items/characters in future playthroughs). The feeling of being overrun by enemies that Teleglitch provides is there, but you don't need to worry about ammo/resource management. The sci-fi setting is nice, the enemies look pretty good despite the very simplistic graphics.

Spelunky is still the best game that's been made.

Tizoc

Have at it GAF:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Long live the queen -- MB-DCD86A34AE06BDA9

t1388427744z1.png

Did you dislike Fallout 3 because of the gameplay? Don't get New Vegas.

Did you dislike Fallout 3 because it didn't have a compelling story or characters? Absolutely get New Vegas.

Yes, it's far superior since Obsidian actually have talented writers and a team who understands how to make an rpg.

Hated Fallout 3, loved New Vegas.

The quality of the writing is so beyond what Bethesda managed it's absurd.. And there's a lot more you can do to resolve quests in different ways based on the way you allocate your points. Great game.

Thanks guys. I think I will give it a shot. If the game has good writing and your choices matter (like in Alpha Protocol and Witcher 2), I can deal with mediocre gameplay by dropping the difficulty to easy. I don't recall hating the game play in Fallout 3 but for some reason my interest petered out after a few hours.

Is the DLC integrated into the main story line or are they additional levels tacked onto the end?

Tizoc

I want to give Fallout NV away. I have it in my Gift inventory.

How to I get the key for it so I can give it to ModBot?

e-mail it to yourself.
When you open the e-mail there'll be a url that ends with '?email'
Just delete the '?' and everything after it and treat it as the code.
Eg:
Fatal Fury 2: https://steam.gift
^Is what you'd send to ModBot

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Err...thanks?

Oh. that's his sister? I thought it was his
vampiric assailant

Game's supposed to be awful anyway, isn't it?

the gaffer said it was his sister, but I'm assuming
its a True Blood type thing where they are just "vampire brother and sister" as in sired by the same master.

either way, yeah im sure its not amazing, hence why I want it cheap :)

eot

Banned
Claymation-looking, space caves, clone yourself with a clone gun to solve puzzles, indie darling platformer.

It apparently has a crazy plot twist ending.

Screams humble bundle material to me, imo.

No, no, no.
The Swapper is much more than humble bundle material, it's legitimately one of the best games of the year. I think it's the best indie game of the year.

Also: New Vegas DLC == Old World Blues, but you skip the rest as far as I can tell.

New Vegas has factions, status alterations with groups, and more quests than you can hold. However, it's also quite ehm... social and safe? The Fallout 3 wasteland was more prone to be called 'wasteland' than the Mojave is. But the average written quest in Fallout 3 is somewhat more straight to the point in terms of good and evil than New Vegas.

I will say The Pitt (DLC) gives a unique conundrum. Mothership Zeta is something to let the game go out with a bang. Super Mutant Overlords are straight up bullshit though. As well as the levelled Feral Ghoul.

Enemy levels are better handled in New Vegas, as well as challenges being presented in terms of points needed and not hidden like in 3. The biggest problem with Fallout 3 is its writing however, versus game structure. New Vegas lets you join "team genocide" if you want, whereas Fallout 3 will only rectify this error with Broken Steel, but you still can't join Team Genocide. Oh well, hardcore anarchist for life and all.

as spoken by wasteland messiah. I'm weak, I know. I can hardly resist the urge to go on all out genocide when the next guy / gal asks about some shit I don't want to do and is a dick about it too. At least New Vegas gives characters like that an awareness of being a dick and smug about it. Until the shotgun in the face happens, obviously.

legacyzero

Banned
Thanks guys. I think I will give it a shot. If the game has good writing and your choices matter (like in Alpha Protocol and Witcher 2), I can deal with mediocre gameplay by dropping the difficulty to easy. I don't recall hating the game play in Fallout 3 but for some reason my interest petered out after a few hours.

Is the DLC integrated into the main story line or are they additional levels tacked onto the end?

Dead Money is one of the best DLC expansions I've played outside of Point Lookout for Fallout 3. Also, Old World Blues is great too, if you can get over all of the drawn out dialogue.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

The DLC is just thrown right at you, all at the start of the game. There's a mod that integrates it a little better and requires you to actually find locations, hit level marks, and listen to radio signals. But if you play vanilla it gives three or four quests to you as soon as you start.

And your choices do matter. One of my favorite things in Fallout NV is that it brought back individual group reputation from the original games. You aren't just evil if you do bad things. Your reputation (the way people react to you) doesn't change if nobody witnesses theft, for example. But beyond that if you are an ass to one settlement, people in other places won't even know. Or they may react more positively to you if you pissed off an enemy of theirs. Your relationships with the various groups and your reputations in them also play into how the ending goes. It's really a great game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Seems so but I'd need to set up a US account with US billing info in order to buy it. So unfortunately that's basically just as useless. :/

When will this rumour stop.

You don't need anything, all you need to do is go to amazon.com, make an account, put any fake ass US Billing address (I use Sega's old office in San Francisco), add your international credit card, put the american address as your billing address and fuck it.

They don't check, Amazon Tony said it's ok to do it and everybody has been doing it for years.

vg260

How's DeadLight?
Visuals looks really nice

It looks cool and promising initially despite the bad voice acting, but it gets weird and nonsensical near the middle(?), I stopped playing at this point. There's better games to spend your time on.

filipe

Finally gave in and bought Euro Truck Simulator. I still feel like this is going to be a huge troll move and it will end up being crap.

Whats the consensus on Total War Rome 2? I know it was really buggy at the start which is why I waited on it, has Creative Assembly or the mod community fixed a lot of the issues plaguing the game?

can you say a little more about what makes this so good, or how it differs from/surpasses spelunky/nuclear throne/rogue legacy/teleglitch

Fo sho. Give me a little, I gotta finish up lunch but I can write up some impressions or find a good explanation I may have already written for the RoR thread or my review on Steam.

Arthea

Bought the Swapper, hopefully steamgaf is right about this one and while at it bought ME2 too, don't know why, not fan of ME and already played 3rd one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom