• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who cares about simracing games needs to get in on this flash deal ASAP
I wish lol

The genres I've wanted to flourish most on PC are snowboarding games, action games (like Bayo, MGR and DMC), fighters and sim racers, but I'm tapped out. My wallet has been pushed to the limit. It's a shame because this game looks very very promising. I know there is a gaf thread, but it seems a bit large to tackle. Personally, I'm keeping my eye out for this and Project Cars.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Anyone on the fence about New Vegas - grab it. When looking at vanilla vs GOTY, I'd almost say vanila, but it doesn't really matter. Old World Blues is the only expansion I consider good while the rest are just kind of there.

Zeliard

I'm still on the fence in regards to Spelunky*. I have little doubt I will love it, but I still play Rogue Legacy and Binding of Isaac regularly. There really isn't space for another rogue-like..
or is there

*Also applies to Risk of Rain

Spelunky is wonderful. I recommend it without reservation.

Omega

Banned
Okay about FNV and modding: I'm not very knowledgable about files and changing code in files, etc. One reason I've avoiding mods is because I worry that I'll mess something up and not know how to fix it

Is it simple to mod FNV?

http://www.youtube.com/user/GophersVids

does a good job explaining how to install mods and even gives you some good ones to install.

I suggest going to F:NV Nexus and see if there's anything else you want as well.

DedValve

Banned
My Game of the Generation, GAF!

I feel strongly about this giveaway, because I hold Fallout 3 and New Vegas very close to me. Also, know that this game is great for modding, so don't forget some high res texture mods, etc. Otherwise, the game kinda looks like ass.

I hope this works. My first time using ModBot to gift, so if it doesn't work, I'll gift it directly.

question when it comes to PMing modbot, do you just pm the name of the game and the code? Because I may have sent a few of these with the rules and everything copy pasted /embarrassed.

The market in steam says I don't have cookies enabled in my browser...is the steam program that I am using, not Chrome. How do I enable cookies in Steam? (This has never happened before)

Gurrry

Im having a really tough time trying to get into Fallout New Vegas.

I bought it last year during the summer sale, and ever since, Ive only played maybe an hour at most.

It just hasnt gotten its hooks into me. I nearly beat Fallout 3, so I do like the fallout games a bit. But this one just feels so clunky and dated.

First off, I hate the combat. The pausing and choosing for a headshot is so lame. Id much rather shoot normally.. but when you do, you suck. You either miss or barley do any damage. Its really lame.

The other thing that really brings my piss to a boil is the fact that I cant change the fucking settings IN GAME. Everytime I want to turn the resolution up or try pushing my GPU to its max with the game, I have to fucking close the game down to do so. Then if you got something wrong or dont like what you changed, guess what.. close it down and do it again.

The fact that I cant get immediate feedback on my visual configuration blows my mind.

Is there a mod or anything that can reinvigorate my love for the fallout games? Id really like to play FNV without feeling like its a chore.

legacyzero

Banned
Okay about FNV and modding: I'm not very knowledgable about files and changing code in files, etc. One reason I've avoiding mods is because I worry that I'll mess something up and not know how to fix it

Is it simple to mod FNV?

It's not as easy as something like Skyrim, for example. Neither of the Fallout games are workshop capable unfortunately. However this MOD DISCUSSION THREAD is very useful. After some tinkering, I got it working.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm still on the fence in regards to Spelunky*. I have little doubt I will love it, but I still play Rogue Legacy and Binding of Isaac regularly. There really isn't space for another rogue-like..
or is there

Spelunky requires significantly less time commitment per run than Binding of Isaac or Risk of Rain, if that makes any difference. You can play through an entire sesion in 15, maybe 20 seconds when you start out. Think of all the free time you'll have!

Spelunky is better than all those games HOMEBOY

Also that.

legacyzero

Banned
question when it comes to PMing modbot, do you just pm the name of the game and the code? Because I may have sent a few of these with the rules and everything copy pasted /embarrassed.

I always click the ModBot link in the raffle there, and then put something random in the PM subject line.

THEN, is where you just paste the Game name and code that it comes with in the body of the message.

joe2187

Banned
Reminder guys

was gonna say I did my part.

Then I clicked on the last page of the thread.

bayonettay6ung.jpg

YOU MONSTERS WHY WOULD YOU TEASE ME LIKE THIS!?

It is not possible to buy winter cards on the market. I refresh the page try 5 different cards but they are all "sold" already. Rinse and repeat.

DedValve

Banned
I always click the ModBot link in the raffle there, and then put something random in the PM subject line.

THEN, is where you just paste the Game name and code that it comes with in the body of the message.

Whoops. Ah well, now I know for next time. I had no idea gaf was doing so many giveaways, is it a holiday thing? There's like one every few hours.

EDIT: Fucking hell mates I thought that Bayo pic was real for a second. My heart literally sank a few centimeters :(

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
or is there

Spelunky is a hell of a game, and at that price, it's worth adding to your list.

You'll eventually be done with Rogue Legacy and it's greats to have Spelunky to take its place.

Turfster

HumbleStore Daily
  • Amnesia a machine for pigs 9.99$
  • Spacebase DF9 14.99$
  • Sir, you are being hunted 11.99$
  • Magicka Collection 8.99$
  • Gunpoint 3.33$
  • Rising Storm 4.99$
  • Capsized 1.79$
  • Crea 4.99$
  • Botanicula 2.49$

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Anybody grabbing Spelunky (for high score chasing) or Risk of Rain ( today, feel free to add me. My Steam profile link is in my GAF profile.

Anybody who hasn't grabbed them today but still has them, feel free to do the same. But maybe not if you're too good at Spelunky. I like being at the top of my friends list.

Is it simple to mod FNV?

Yeah, modding Bethesda's games has gotten so streamlined by the community that just about anyone can do it; the hardest part is just finding what mods you want in the first place. First you'll want to grab a mod manager, you really have two choices here. The Nexus Mod Manager or Mod Organizer, of which I recommend the later. Mod Organizer has the benefit of not touching your actual installation, instead creating a virtual directory out of the mods installed elsewhere. Don't worry about them being on the Skyrim Nexus either, they work for all Beth games. You'll probably want to grab BOSS to handle your plugin load order as well. There's more utilities you may want to get, but they're more specialized and as I'm more familiar with Skyrim modding I can't go into deeper detail, but there should be tons of New Vegas modding guides out there.

Once you have your mod manager of choice installed you simply can look around on the Nexus for mods you want, and when you find one use the "install with manager" button which will download the mod through your mod manager from where you can then install it to either your data folder (with NMM) or a specified mod folder (MO). Look for ones with high endorsements, as they're the ones more people have used and thus are less likely to be completely broken (not impossible for a highly rated mod to be broken though, so be wary). Manually searching can be tedious though, so try looking for lists of mods other people use and build off those.

When it comes to the mods themselves there's three types of files to them: esp files, which are plugin files loaded by the game and which need to be in a correct sort order that BOSS will handle for you, BSA files which are archives of resources, and loose files in directories such as "textures", "meshes", "scripts", etc. When it comes to loose files you have to be a bit careful about your install order as future mods may overwrite files from previous mods, which is another reason I recommend Mod Organizer as its virtual directory structure prevents true overwrites from happening and you can just tweak the install order when a conflict is detected.

This is getting a bit long so I'll wrap it up there. There's a bit more to cover such as ini editing which is probably what you're most concerned about, but most mods don't need ini files edited at all and those tweaks are more to get better shadows and stuff.

liezryou

My Game of the Generation, GAF!

I feel strongly about this giveaway, because I hold Fallout 3 and New Vegas very close to me. Also, know that this game is great for modding, so don't forget some high res texture mods, etc. Otherwise, the game kinda looks like ass.

I hope this works. My first time using ModBot to gift, so if it doesn't work, I'll gift it directly.

Woooo, thanks for fallout new vegas!

Reminder guys

Honest question: do you actually think they'll sell well, or is that just wishful thinking? Do you think enough PC gamers will plunk down 50 or 60 bucks for an unproven PC port of a three year old game whose sequel is exclusive to the Wii U, to use one of your examples, that it will be worth their effort?

lordy88

How is Heroes VI? $10 for the whole set doesn't seem bad if it's a decent take on the game.

I haven't played it since the first year of launch, but I was incredibly disappointed as a long time Heroes fan.

The game has a decent amount of potential, but the maps are lackluster, the AI is atrocious, and there were SO many bugs.

I recall reading how Ubisoft effectively screwed over the developers of the game, which is why a completely new team currently has the reigns.

Elija2

was gonna say I did my part.

Then I clicked on the last page of the thread.

YOU MONSTERS WHY WOULD YOU TEASE ME LIKE THIS!?

You should have known it was fake because the description name-drops Hideki Kamiya as if he has any amount of star power.

I'm not saying he shouldn't.

legacyzero

Banned
Woooo, thanks for fallout new vegas!

Your welcome! Amazing game. Lemme know if the link doesn't work right, though, and I'll gift it through Steam.

Also, the DLC is pretty good too. Dead Money is a real treat.

Honest question: do you actually think they'll sell well, or is that just wishful thinking? Do you think enough PC gamers will plunk down 50 or 60 bucks for an unproven PC port of a three year old game whose sequel is exclusive to the Wii U, to use one of your examples, that it will be worth their effort?

I'd buy it quicker than shit. Also, it seems PC ports for games have been doing pretty good lately, reading that thread. I hear MGR is already doing a great job, and it's not out yet.

Chunky

or is there

Spelunky's essentially the progenitor for all the recent rogue-lites we've had and it's still one of the best. It can be a time sponge, but like BOI or RL it's how much you want to put in. I can play for a couple minutes or an entire weekend. And it's pretty seperate to the other two, so it shouldn't feel samey. BUY IT!

Plus it costs the price of like a sandwich and a bag of crisps. That is a pretty crazy cash:time ratio.

If I buy FO3:NVUE (whew!), do I have to mod it to get the best gaming experience or can I just play it straight out of the box, figuratively speaking?

causan

So what is the consensus on RTW II and COH 2? I loved both of the original games but I haven't heard much about these sequel's.

Hubb

Most PC ports don't come out at 50 or 60 unless they release in a pretty close time frame to consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom