• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel81

What are the current chances of GFWL being patched out of Dark Souls? We didn't hear anything from Namco on that front yet, right?

Ugh, every single time now I have to re-install that piece of shit service or the game won't load properly(Win 8.1). It's NOT the type of game that needs that extra level of frustration.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
looking at Prototype 2 deal reminded me of something I wanted to ask Gaf, if theres one place that should know is here. I tried playing Prototype 1 a few months ago and it ran like shit, especially this weird stutter that happened every few seconds, it wasnt dropped frames, its like the game froze for a milisec every few seconds.

Is that a known issue and if so, is there a known fix? My computer isnt amazing, but Im sure its more than enough to handle prototype if I run other shit at max

grimmiq

In my 12hrs of Dark Souls I have been invaded 3 or 4 times and that's low!? Is there a way to block peeps from messing with my single player experience?

It's not the best solution, but if you notice you're being invaded you cant alt+f4 and come back where you were. Or just play Hollowed the entire time, never finished it but the only time I wasn't Hollowed was when I used Maneater vs Quelaag.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What are the current chances of GFWL being patched out of Dark Souls? We didn't hear anything from Namco on that front yet, right?

No idea. They haven't said.

If it isn't patched out, the game will still be playable but only in offline mode.

If it is patched in, Steamworks!(maybe)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Why didnt I buy Antichamber when it was a daily? Im a bad person arent I? :/

Coppanuva

Thanks to everybody who answered on the Valdis vs Dust thing. I'm likely to stick with Valdis I think, the art on Dust doesn't hit me the same way and I'd like more replay value in a game so Valdis it is.

Nymphae

Banned
Some decent sales at the moment. Just grabbed The Swapper and 2 copies of Deadlight, one for me and another as a gift. Hooray!

derFeef

gogo Gifts.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fallout: New Vegas -- MB-69EF9389E893ECB6 - Taken by Deadbeat. 18 entrants total.
Spelunky -- MB-A13FE5A03034F781 - Taken by Kanokare. 15 entrants total.

t1388361640z1.png

Jawmuncher

I do find it funny the amount of EA games on steam that keep going on sale.
I mean geez at this point EA and Valve need to make up or something. I'll put up with Origin in game (We already are dealing with Uplay). If it meant the newer EA games coming to Steam.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Continuing my quest to look over every Steam game I don't own or have wishlisted right now. I also think I can confirm that the most popular subtitle for a war game sequel is 'Korea".

kafiend

So...Might and Magic VI bought & installled. I decided to be a heretic and actually play it. Start it up and it insists on updating UPlay despite me using it this morning just fine. Speed is slower than dial up. An hour passes and I'm pissed off before I begin playing.

UPlay loads and I start the game. Get some crap about connecting to the Conflux when Its booted and eventually an empty News window appears, which was helpful.
I ended up rebooting the game, don't remember why, maybe changing an option to increase mouse sensitivity or something equally important. When it got to the about connecting to the Conflux I hit cancel because all it seemed to do before was fuck about for thirty seconds and then show me an empty window.
I play the game for an hour or so and come close to finishing the first tutorial map, but I wanted to know about some stuff that the tutorial didn't cover so I Alt-Tab to Google it.
During the search I come across a forum post about being in Online mode having the potential to eat saves and how even if you are online in single player mode and there is a server problem you can lose progress. So when I go back to game I save, exit. switch UPlay to offline and reboot the game.

I take note of the big writing on the page saying Offline saves are for offline mode only and think whatever, I was online just now, offline is safer for my saves anyway.

So, I kill the boss of the tutorial, get given an Ancestral Sword which is part of some Dynasty thing and move onto the next map. The first screen I see is about Dynasty bonuses to click on and I'm also surprised to see how I'm not allowed to click on them and use them because I'm offline. That special shit in my single player game is for when I am permanently online.

I exit game, turn UPlay back to online and reboot. Go to load my game and there's NO SAVES. Not even the ones I thought I had online before going offline. Turns out I was never online at all, despite loading the game with UPlay online, because I cancelled the Conflux menu before it had completed connecting me to specialsauceonline.com or whatever it was up to.

Once again, I go back to offline to make sure my offline saves show up, they do - no complaints there THANKS Ubi! Except of course you can't turn offline saves into online saves, nope you might be cheating or a pirate or something.

It also turns out there's a lot of Dynasty items, abilities, Heroes etc that you can ONLY use/get when online. Including the sword (my fathers sword apparently) that I was awarded when offline.

So, Ubi. You give me my fathers sword, tell me how fucking special it is then tell me afterwards I can't use it because I'm not online? Seriously?

Here's what the online only Dynasty system is - shamelessly stolen from another forum.

Dynasties is the achievement system in Heroes 6, which unlocks additional heroes and powerful items. It also unlocks additional abilities.

It affects both multiplayer and single player, it is however not necessary to complete the game, and it is not available when playing offline

tldr: Don;t expect the full game or anything in Might and Magic 6 when you are offline because it has a fucking fantastic form of always-online drm by limiting your items/abilities/heroes. Oh want to to play offline? Sure - fucking thief - have most of a game.
Thanks Ubi! you amazingly thoughtless and ignorant dicks.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I do find it funny the amount of EA games on steam that keep going on sale.
I mean geez at this point EA and Valve need to make up or something. I'll put up with Origin in game (We already are dealing with Uplay). If it meant the newer EA games coming to Steam.

There's no bitter resentment between the two.

Steam didn't allow selling DLC content from within the games that didn't go through Steam.

EA doesn't want to do business that way so they made their own client.

Tiny & Big is really good. It's more "action-y" than I expected, well at least the third level is. Dodging debris, slicing pillars in half as they tumble towards you, accidently slicing through the platform you're on, and then desperately platforming to a new one as it falls apart

I haven't had this much fun with destructible environments since RF Guerrilla

On that note, how is RF Guerrilla on PC? A good port?

Artofwar420

According to isthereanydeal.com, it's currently the cheapest on Steam.

Not sure if the site covers all places, but it's a decent way to check to see if a game is cheaper elsewhere.

Thank you, that will be pretty handy :)

Still unsure about Risk of Rain... Everyone loves it though. What to do. It's funny how a dollar less will make all the difference. It's the psychological effect of the sub 5 dollar price.

pahamrick

So...Might and Magic VI bought & installled. I decided to be a heretic and actually play it. Start it up and it insists on updating UPlay despite me using it this morning just fine. Speed is slower than dial up. An hour passes and I'm pissed off before I begin playing.

UPlay loads and I start the game. Get some crap about connecting to the Conflux when Its booted and eventually an empty News window appears, which was helpful.
I ended up rebooting the game, don't remember why, maybe changing an option to increase mouse sensitivity or something equally important. When it got to the about connecting to the Conflux I hit cancel because all it seemed to do before was fuck about for thirty seconds and then show me an empty window.
I play the game for an hour or so and come close to finishing the first tutorial map, but I wanted to know about some stuff that the tutorial didn't cover so I Alt-Tab to Google it.
During the search I come across a forum post about being in Online mode having the potential to eat saves and how even if you are online in single player mode and there is a server problem you can lose progress. So when I go back to game I save, exit. switch UPlay to offline and reboot the game.

I take note of the big writing on the page saying Offline saves are for offline mode only and think whatever, I was online just now, offline is safer for my saves anyway.

So, I kill the boss of the tutorial, get given an Ancestral Sword which is part of some Dynasty thing and move onto the next map. The first screen I see is about Dynasty bonuses to click on and I'm also surprised to see how I'm not allowed to click on them and use them because I'm offline. That special shit in my single player game is for when I am permanently online.

I exit game, turn UPlay back to online and reboot. Go to load my game and there's NO SAVES. Not even the ones I thought I had online before going offline. Turns out I was never online at all, despite loading the game with UPlay online, because I cancelled the Conflux menu before it had completed connecting me to specialsauceonline.com or whatever it was up to.

Once again, I go back to offline to make sure my offline saves show up, they do - no complaints there THANKS Ubi! Except of course you can't turn offline saves into online saves, nope you might be cheating or a pirate or something.

It also turns out there's a lot of Dynasty items, abilities, Heroes etc that you can ONLY use/get when online. Including the sword (my fathers sword apparently) that I was awarded when offline.

So, Ubi. You give me my fathers sword, tell me how fucking special it is then tell me afterwards I can't use it because I'm not online? Seriously?

Here's what the online only Dynasty system is - shamelessly stolen from another forum.

tldr: Don;t expect the full game or anything in Might and Magic 6 when you are offline because it has a fucking fantastic form of always-online drm by limiting your items/abilities/heroes. Oh want to to play offline? Sure - fucking thief - have most of a game.
Thanks Ubi! you amazingly thoughtless and ignorant dicks.

I was all set to buy M&MH VI until I read this, thanks for the heads up.

Vecks

So... Risk of Rain or Spelunky (or some other similar game if there are any)... which would you guys say is better for offline multiplayer?

Jawmuncher

There's no bitter resentment between the two.

Steam didn't allow selling DLC content from within the games that didn't go through Steam.

EA doesn't want to do business that way so they made their own client.

I wonder if EA's foray into origin has proven successful for them money wise.
Sure they're keeping the profits but aside from stuff like BF4, I don't see them really coming out on top compared to how they did on Steam..

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I wonder if EA's foray into origin has proven successful for them money wise.
Sure they're keeping the profits but aside from stuff like BF4, I don't see them really coming out on top compared to how they did on Steam..

All their legacy games are still on Steam and they still sell gangbusters on sales I'd bet.

It's only stuff like Battlefield, Need for Speed, Dead Space, Mass Effect, the types of games that people dedicated to the franchise will use Origin for anyway.

My preliminary review of Tomb Raider: the 25% of the game that isn't a quick-time event is pretty good.

The rest?

1080bkulj2rd06.gif

it's pretty fun in general. The QTE's are mild, and Lara doesn't do the whiiiiiiine routine outside of cutscenes (another game for the "cutscene and gameplay are completely different people" list). The game 'unlocks' after the mountain village, I would say. So basically when Lara becomes a psychopath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom