• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

it's pretty fun in general. The QTE's are mild, and Lara doesn't do the whiiiiiiine routine outside of cutscenes (another game for the "cutscene and gameplay are completely different people" list). The game 'unlocks' after the mountain village, I would say. So basically when Lara becomes a psychopath.

The story is definitely the weakest part in TR,
I was rolling my eyes after just about every cut scene. Her group of survivor friends didn't help matters. Really hope they manage better with TR2. Since I was under the impression she was going to be more alone than she actually was. Also the forced Uncharted type set pieces felt like a bit much considering the environment she was in.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So... Risk of Rain or Spelunky (or some other similar game if there are any)... which would you guys say is better for offline multiplayer?

That depends on what you're looking for. Do you hate this person that you're going to be playing with? Do you want to hate them more? If the answer to either of these questions is yes, then Spelunky is probably the way to go.

Risk of Rain is definitely more "cooperative." Spelunky will teach you new things about your relationship. If you can laugh about things going terribly and not get angry at each other this isn't a problem and it can be fun, but it's not made for multiplayer. Risk of Rain seems much more designed around the possibility of more than one player.

Spelunky is the better game overall, but not necessarily for the multiplayer. It can be a lot of dumb fun, but it's dangerous recommending Spelunky co-op. There's also a deathmatch mode which is just pure madness. Kind of like Bomberman on meth.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah, don't really get the "QTE fest" Tomb Raider complaints. It's a good action game.

It's not much of a QTE fest outside of the beginning hour or two but there's about a million other complaints about that terrible game that can work in place of it. I wish people would focus more on them instead of an inaccuracy.

Garcia

For those on the fence, I highly recommend The Swapper - from my little bit of play time so far, it's a fantastic puzzle platformer.

I'm so getting it. I read the reviews and judging by GAF it really is a must.

I just wish they took Risk of Rain price just a liiiiittle bit down in order to get it as well since it also seems really good.

it's pretty fun in general. The QTE's are mild, and Lara doesn't do the whiiiiiiine routine outside of cutscenes (another game for the "cutscene and gameplay are completely different people" list). The game 'unlocks' after the mountain village, I would say. So basically when Lara becomes a psychopath.

All right, I haven't reached that point yet, let's see.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You can sell DLC from in-game you just need to cut valve in and EA didn't want to do that. Also why games like guild wars 2 aren't on steam.

You can buy dlc inside Marvel Heroes for example

Omega

Banned
I don't know what it's called, but that mechanic in game where your sliding down something (or in God of War 3's case, flying up something) and you have to avoid random obstacles like trees or spikes is the most annoying thing about Tomb Raider.

Game has way too many of them, or maybe I just hate them so much it felt like it did.

There weren't that many QTEs and they weren't that bad either. There's other stuff to complain about, like how it should have had survival aspects but didn't, because gotta cater to the masses.

the ones that would be too stupid to kill the 305345 deer on the island to feed themselves if it was required, but have no problem doing it for +50! GOOD JOB BRO! Now skin a live animal and somehow gather salvage to upgrade your weapons, because everyone knows rabbit and deer organs can transform a makeshift bow into the bow from Crysis 3

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You can sell DLC from in-game you just need to cut valve in and EA didn't want to do that. Also why games like guild wars 2 aren't on steam.

You can buy dlc inside Marvel Heroes for example

It has to be purchased through steam am I correct?

Like Steam has to be the transaction process?

JakeD

i have a 5 and a 10, i will just give them to anyone who wants them (although if you have costume quest, rogue legacy or volgarr cards i'd take them off your hands)

i dont even want to sell them, because the 40 cents i get from them for some reason inspires me to spend $10

add JakeD22

Valve extended my market ban until January 4th, hooray. I have a snow globe foil listed in the market and they expire on the 3rd so I can't trade it to someone, hooray.

Hooray

I don't know what it's called, but that mechanic in game where your sliding down something (or in God of War 3's case, flying up something) and you have to avoid random obstacles like trees or spikes is the most annoying thing about Tomb Raider.

Game has way too many of them, or maybe I just hate them so much it felt like it did.

There weren't that many QTEs and they weren't that bad either. There's other stuff to complain about, like how it should have had survival aspects but didn't, because gotta cater to the masses.

the ones that would be too stupid to kill the 305345 deer on the island to feed themselves if it was required, but have no problem doing it for +50! GOOD JOB BRO! Now skin a live animal and somehow gather salvage to upgrade your weapons, because everyone knows rabbit and deer organs can transform a makeshift bow into the bow from Crysis 3

Those parts were annoying... she was constantly falling from every structure imaginable, from planes to bridges... after a while you were expecting the "falling sequence".

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It has to be purchased through steam am I correct?

Like Steam has to be the transaction process?

Yes that is true, you buy "marvel bucks" for lack of a better term with steam wallet

How did you get banned if you don't mind answering?
When Steam was down most of the day during the L4D2 free thing, Valve wouldn't let me sign-in without changing my password. So, I had to change it! :p Then I find out I can't use the market until the 31st, no big deal. Then I just looked while talking to someone and now it's the 4th. :(

derFeef

I have spare Borderlands 1 and Torchlight 1 keys... would people actually want that or should I just give it to the (eraser)bot?

hitmon

When Steam was down most of the day during the L4D2 free thing, Valve wouldn't let me sign-in without changing my password. So, I had to change it! :p Then I find out I can't use the market until the 31st, no big deal. Then I just looked while talking to someone and now it's the 4th. :(

I also got a Market Ban since I changed my password less than a week ago and now I have to wait a full 30 days before I even manage to exchange items with anyone.

Hmph!

Good to know. Didn't realize changing the password would lead to a temp ban.

I also got a Market Ban since I changed my password less than a week ago and now I have to wait a full 30 days before I even manage to exchange items with anyone.

Hmph!
It's totally dumb. :(

Maybe you can trade it for goods that don't expire.
I can't! If I'm looking into it right, the winter cards have this: "Valid until Friday, January 03, 2014 2:00:00 PM"

I can't remove the listings I have up, either, which includes the foil! So it'll expire while on the market. :p

jyoung188

I only need a #9 to complete the Snow Globe set. I have a extra #6, if anyone would be willing to trade.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/hi-fi_famicom/

I have three spare #9's and need a #6.

All I need to craft my badge is #5 and #6.

I have two spare #3's, one #4, one #7, three #9's, and a #10 I'm willing to trade or give a way if someone needs them. I don't really care about badges but I want to at least craft the first level of the winter sale badge.

Edit: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jyoung188/

Vecks

Spelunky.

That depends on what you're looking for. Do you hate this person that you're going to be playing with? Do you want to hate them more? If the answer to either of these questions is yes, then Spelunky is probably the way to go.

Risk of Rain is definitely more "cooperative." Spelunky will teach you new things about your relationship. If you can laugh about things going terribly and not get angry at each other this isn't a problem and it can be fun, but it's not made for multiplayer. Risk of Rain seems much more designed around the possibility of more than one player.

Spelunky is the better game overall, but not necessarily for the multiplayer. It can be a lot of dumb fun, but it's dangerous recommending Spelunky co-op. There's also a deathmatch mode which is just pure madness. Kind of like Bomberman on meth.

Hmm. Okay, thanks guys. Risk of Rain sounds like the better choice then.

Left my SteamID here, went out for a few hours and this is what happens.

dZlMcr2.jpg

Awesome!

derFeef

As requested :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Torchlight -- MB-9C30CFA7C100626B - Taken by dreamer3kx. 10 entrants total.
Borderlands -- MB-089BE143B1995742 - Taken by Jmanunknown. 17 entrants total.

t1388364654z1.png

Anustart

I wanna give a shout out to Accent! Apparently I won Papers, Please in a contest from him a week ago or so and didn't realize it. Guy kept it for me and messaged me tonight asking if I was going to claim it instead of sweeping it under the rug. Thanks again Accent!

And as an aside, the game is great!!

oipic

What do you guys think of Dust? I watched the video and it reminds me of Muramasa: The Demon Blade. And I loved Muramasa every minute of it.

I've only spent 90 minutes or so with Dust so far, but it is delightful and charming, and I was smiling for much of that time. The art style, which seems to be the contentious issue for some, is completely different to anything I've played in the past, but I don't find it a detriment to the game at all.

Can definitely see myself playing this through to completion, and soon, assuming I can get through the difficulty spike that (seemingly?) hits somewhere at its mid-point - I'm particularly awful at games like this.

Anyone have some Snow Globes for trade? Ideally I'd like a level 10 badge, but I'll settle for just a level 5 (I'm currently level 4). Don't really have too much to offer in trade at the moment, but feel free to browse my inventory anyway.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/z138/

(you can also just add me as a friend if you want)

I went through and added most of the people! If anyone wants to add me feel free: Clicky

Does anyone else have trouble inviting people to the GAF group on firefox? Every time I try it I get a javascript error. Works fine in chrome and in the client.

Anyway in case anyone missed it yesterday, do yourself a favour and get Marlow Briggs. It might very well be the greatest game ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom