• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So today I started in on Valdis Story: Abyssal City. The game is pretty amazing - fluid controls, great visuals, and a real RPG-heavy Metroidvania feel. If this goes on a daily deal, you bastards know what to do... :)

Also I was idling for cards earlier and decided to make this:

BQiM3Sm.png

Miker

I got a Dualshock 4 for use for PC gaming only just the other day, can't wait to try it out. It connects via Bluetooth to my Macbook without any issues, and works great for emulation (haven't tried any Steam Mac games). Hopefully the drivers get more mature quickly.

EDIT:

Damn, I knew I was in the green, but not by THAT much. Wow.

j2jEEjQSfzQoD.PNG

How'd you get to that point? Teach me!

Currently 54,661 playing
Peak Today was 133,185

hav5aI9.png

Seems pretty good. Currently third behind DOTA 2 and TF2. Stats

Goddamn. That was a smart move from Valve, give people a quality game for free so they spent more money on Steam.

Hey, if it worked when they made Portal free to me, it should work for them even more.

Damn, I knew I was in the green, but not by THAT much. Wow.

j2jEEjQSfzQoD.PNG

What.

did you sell some unusual tf2 items or some really expensive dota 2 items? Both?

I... I've done it.

I've finally done it.

I just looked through every single Steam game I don't own/haven't wishlisted and updated my wishlist. Every single one.

...I can't believe I didn't. I also can;t believe how big my wishlist is. Oh my, my wallet is just aching from all of this.

And I went with a lot of questionable titles, but all that even remotely interested me. Its' complete. It's done. I just have to keep it updated.

...Well...

...Time for DLC!

Well done mate. But you know after you have bought a chunk from your wishlist, you'll think "maybe I'll go through the steam store again for new releases and maybe I misjudged some games earlier". You'll wishlist and buy them all. And then you'll start buying games that aren't on steam anymore. And while you're at it you'll start thinking that owning region-specific apps would be nice too.

Basically, you are destined to go the JaseC route. Good luck.

I must resist my inner collectionist to go the same road

beta won't count old achievements.

well shit, I was going to sign up since I have all the Payday 2 achievements (except for the new GO Bank ones) but fuck that.

King of the Hill should be Hard and Full Measure should be Medium. Park escape never comes up.

oh boy, there is this thing called cheaters that can unlock any achievement... furthermore it isn't fun to grind achievements for credit...

Dec

Ha ha, too late! Already played it for 30 minutes, sans music.

Just be sure to check it out at some point in that case. The soundtrack is really good and really adds to the ending. It is a joy to sit through the credits.

So today I started in on Valdis Story: Abyssal City. The game is pretty amazing - fluid controls, great visuals, and a real RPG-heavy Metroidvania feel. If this goes on a daily deal, you bastards know what to do... :)

I was waiting but lost hope. I don't think it'll come up, so got it yesterday. Oh well if it does.

Feature looks useful.

True story: while going down a rabbit hole on Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear videos, I came across the Graham Norton show with Ms. Ronan, and finally learned how to say her name ("Sertia like Inertia"), and immediately thought of JaseC and SteamGAF.

Now, I have to decide about Stanley Parable.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
A quick question about ModBot, as I can't seem to find the answer looking for it. How do set it up so a game (one key) and it's DLC (another key) are given away for the same MB-code?

I am here to tell you you should all get Soundodger+. I think it's a little too small for a Daily Deal and it lost the last Flash Sale vote to PJ Eden, but it's 50% off during the winter sale for $3.99 and it's worth it. It's a great, simple, bullet hell dodger type game that does really interesting things with music. The soundtrack is amazing and the game's mechanics kind of make you feel like you're flowing and dancing along to it. You can play a less featured browser version of it for free at Adult Swim's website if you want to check it out. It's also pretty damn beautiful.

I'm still slightly interested, but I have to admit that the browser based game didn't win me over and I quickly got bored of it (and mind you I love bullet hell games). Is there anything added to the Steam version that would convince me to pick it up

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
IIRC that drived was 1.81 TB, but JaseC said it wasn't all gifs.

Haha, yeah, that was a joke. I'm not quite there...

...yet. :p

Well done mate. But you know after you have bought a chunk from your wishlist, you'll think "maybe I'll go through the steam store again for new releases and maybe I misjudged some games earlier". You'll wishlist and buy them all. And then you'll start buying games that aren't on steam anymore. And while you're at it you'll start thinking that owning region-specific apps would be nice too.

Basically, you are destined to go the JaseC route. Good luck.

I must resist my inner collectionist to go the same road

GTA:SA German and Sniper Elite: Zombie Army German will be among my last purchases of the sale.

A quick question about ModBot, as I can't seem to find the answer looking for it. How do set it up so a game (one key) and it's DLC (another key) are given away for the same MB-code?

Just serparate them with a space. E.g.:

Portal + Portal 2: AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC DDDDD-EEEEE-FFFFF

chronomac

I asked this earlier but I'll ask it again: does anyone want to split the Bioshock Triple Pack? I'll take $9 for Bioshock 1 and 2, which is a $1 savings. I just want Infinite.

posted this yesterday in good home thread. I got free game from here so giving it back.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

TR guardian of light -- MB-569B6AEF4D271BC1

t1388380717z1.png

Dec

I guess you could just PM the person that wins the base game the codes.

Garcia

To all people still asking if SimCity 4 is worth it: Yes, don't hesitate and buy it. At $5 bucks it is a great deal.

I was just about to purchase Wizardry 8 but thanks to a Youtube Let's Play found out it's turn based rather than action oriented. I'm glad I didn't buy it since I wouldn't be touching it at all. I've increasingly lowered my tolerance towards turn based systems if they don't offer any sort of semi-active elements thrown in.

Khronico

Wish my laptop could run ETS2, it looks like a great game...

Also I hope everyone now has a copy of Fallout New Vegas. There is no excuse now, you should ALL have it.

Cth

Any tips or secrets to success? Most cards I see seem to go for a mere $0.02-0.16 in the market and take quite a while to get.

Check daily to see if cards have been added to any games you own.

Most people are going to use S.A.M. to idle for cards. The reason being is that normally you're supposed to download and then idle.. for larger games this cuts into the time you can have a card on market.

Basically, the best prices will be on launch day (for games with cards), or the day cards go live for existing games.

At that point, it's a race for the bottom. The first person on the market with a card sets the price which inevitably never sells for that price. A good entry price is 40 cents I've seen on average.

Inevitably, people will undercut the lowest price by a penny so they're listed first. When multiple people have the same card and the same strategy the price will bottom out quick. So, either wait until everyone undercuts one another and hope prices rebound, or accept you aren't going to get a lot for your cards.

Higher priced games generally have higher card prices. The ones everyone has (bundles, sale games, etc) are going to be a lot lower. Higher/indie/less common games will average 20-40 cents with foils being higher priced naturally.

TL;DR
Check daily for new cards (under BADGES)

Use SAM to idle for cards

Focus on games a lot of people don't have. Prices are better for them.

Realize it's free money, don't stress about the market bottoming out.

At some point, level up by buying a cheap set of cards (Left4Dead, TF2, etc) -- the reason for this is you get a chance at getting a free booster pack each week. A booster pack is a set of 3 cards. There's a chance of getting a foil in this pack (higher chances for foils at higher XP levels). Boosters sell for more but I always take a chance at getting a foil card.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
time to crack down on SAM usage then, but this sounds pretty awesome

The problem is that Steam has had predominantly client-side achievements since the very beginning. If they wanted to "crack down" on things like SAM, they would need to patch every game on Steam that has achievements to use their server-side achievement model. They introduced server side achievements several years ago, but don't require new games to use it over client-side.

Since Valve has an overarching policy of not messing with other publisher's game code, I suspect that Steam will not have entirely server-side achievements until that stance changes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
time to crack down on SAM usage then, but this sounds pretty awesome

Short of GMG manually verifying the veracity by checking user profiles (e.g. if somebody unlocked all three achievements seconds apart then they obviously didn't obtain them legitimately) I'm not sure what can be done. Some games do use server-side achievements, which renders SAM useless, but I don't think that's something Valve can/would retroactively implement even if it wanted to.

Edit: Beaten.

Cth

Wish my laptop could run ETS2, it looks like a great game...

Also I hope everyone now has a copy of Fallout New Vegas. There is no excuse now, you should ALL have it.

I would as I love the Fallout/Wasteland series, but the last time I got it on Xbox, my wife took over the system for a month or two. Add in the mods, and I'll never get to play on the laptop again :D

Same reason I don't have Skyrim either at this point.

The problem is that Steam has had predominantly client-side achievements since the very beginning. If they wanted to "crack down" on things like SAM, they would need to patch every game on Steam that has achievements to use their server-side achievement model. They introduced server side achievements several years ago, but don't require new games to use it over client-side.

Since Valve has an overarching policy of not messing with other publisher's game code, I suspect that Steam will not have entirely server-side achievements until that stance changes.

Short of GMG manually verifying the veracity by checking user profiles (e.g. if somebody unlocked all three achievements seconds apart then they obviously didn't obtain them legitimately) I'm not sure what can be done. Some games do use server-side achievements, which renders SAM useless, but I don't think that's something Valve can/would retroactively implement even if it wanted to.

Edit: Beaten.

wellll then this won't end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom