• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
This is the moment I've been waiting for (and I swear I am not being sarcastic here, lol): Have you played the game? Did you like it?

Which game, RE6? I bought that during the summer sale and finished it alone since I couldn't convince my friend to buy it (still couldn't with the winter sale even though it was like $8 cheaper). I enjoyed the first 2 campaigns, thought Jake's was mediocre and Ada's was horrible and mostly rehashed content except for her first chapter (which was admittedly the worst part of her game). It's not as shallow as many people said it would be, but they did do a terrible job explaining the mechanics. That's not making excuses, they really didn't do it. Luckily during Chris' campaign I managed to figure out a lot of the stuff you could do by accident and it led to some pretty cool moments. Playing it as a cover shooter is the worst thing one could do with the game.

Wookieomg

Thanks KenOD! I'm in as well. :)

Also in regards to Ys, is there a proper order to play the series in? I own Ys: The Oath In Felghana and Ys I & II Chronicles+, but not Origins yet. :( And it appears like the last time it went on sale was July 23 on Steam for 6.79.

http://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:ys origin;/scroll:#gamelist

Heard a lot of praise for the series and am definitely interested in checking it out, but would like to go through it chronologically if possible.

Turfster

Everyone here on SteamGAF voted for Remember Me, so of course Remember Me won't win.
This is why I love you guys!
I hope it at least does well, percentage wise, so Capcpom sees people are interested in it.

Edit: Also, Capcpom, gif cards plz
I swear I'll craft the badge.

oipic

Friends, do any of you think that Starbound will go on sale anytime soon? Or did I miss it? :'(

It's very unlikely to be discounted during this sale - like DayZ, it hit the store a bit too recently for a sale, and is selling more than well enough without being discounted.

ok Gaf im trying to register for the FF7 mod forums but this damn question keeps stumping me
_______ is only one right answer to this phrase (Their, There, They're):

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Could someone from the Southern Hemisphere screen cap the globe on top of your store? I'm curious as to what's happening while in the North we have the following.
gylwa9s.jpg

Not as exciting as that alien abduction or the octopus attack, but all the same I'm left wondering.

Thanks KenOD! I'm in as well. :)

Also in regards to Ys, is there a proper order to play the series in? I own Ys: The Oath In Felghana and Ys I & II Chronicles+, but not Origins yet. :( And it appears like the last time it went on sale was July 23 on Steam for 6.79.

http://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:ys origin;/scroll:#gamelist

Heard a lot of praise for the series and am definitely interested in checking it out, but would like to go through it chronologically if possible.

Chronologically (in game history) Origins is the first, but I don't recommend that as it will spoil things for you story wise and cause certain reveals to not mean as much for Ys I and Ys II.

Ys I, Ys II, Ys Origin in that order of play for those specific games as doing so any other way will cause the story to be spoiled a bit. All the other titles can be played before, between, or after them, whatever you want.

Also in regards to Ys, is there a proper order to play the series in? I own Ys: The Oath In Felghana and Ys I & II Chronicles+, but not Origins yet.

There isn't really a proper order, but most people (including me) would suggest starting with Oath In Felghana. It's easier to get into than I and II (which are much older) and it is a great introduction to the main character (Origin has different characters and covers the background story, which I don't think makes a good intro).

Wookieomg

There isn't really a proper order, but most people (including me) would suggest starting with Oath In Felghana.

Ys I, Ys II, Ys Origin in that order of play for those specific games as doing so any other way will cause the story to be spoiled a bit. All the other titles can be played before, between, or after them, whatever you want.

Yeah, the steam community forums had a consensus of Ys I > Ys II > Ys: Origin > Ys: Oath. I'll probably stick with that, seems like the spoilery bits that come from Origin make the reveals in I and II a bit less impactful. Thanks!

Wow... FF7 is failing me atm. I am finally fighting sephiroth... I stupidly used the save point early in the cave so it took me a while to get back to him after my crash against a miniboss last night. I beat jenova, beat sephiroth phase one... phase 2 after fighting him for probably 20minutes... random crash. I'm not sure if I am gonna bother doing it all... again... I wanna get to ff8... =/

Derrick01

Banned
If only it was Agricultural Simulator instead. And if only Agricultural Simulator wasn't a buggy mess. :(

Isn't that game from those scam guys who did the airport and woodcutting sims that just came out? I didnt' play any of them but everything I see about those games is people warning others to avoid them due to how buggy and lazy they are and the developers never do anything to fix them.

From the little I can gather about all these sims, Farming sim is the real deal.

Yeah, the steam community forums had a consensus of Ys I > Ys II > Ys: Origin > Ys: Oath. I'll probably stick with that, seems like the spoilery bits that come from Origin make the reveals in I and II a bit less impactful. Thanks!
Doesn't Ys: Origin timeline predate Ys I and II?

Santini

Everyone here on SteamGAF voted for Remember Me, so of course Remember Me won't win.

Also zombies, so yeah, How to Survive is gonna win. :/

Voted for Remember Me, as it was the best choice out of all three.

It helped that I didn't like How to Survive. State of Decay is a much better zombie experience, at least based on my demo'ing of the XBLA versions. Also, Dead Island did the whole "zombie RPG on an island" better. And looking at reviews, Space Hulk isn't that good, compared to the original board game.

Still, zombies and lowest price means How to Survive is your CC winner.

denx

Could someone from the Southern Hemisphere screen cap the globe on top of your store? I'm curious as to what's happening while in the North we have the following.
gylwa9s.jpg

Not as exciting as that alien abduction or the octopus attack, but all the same I'm left wondering.

This is what we got.

i4EZBL6.png

TxzA6dg.png

Wookieomg

Doesn't Ys: Origin timeline predate Ys I and II?

Purely from a timeline perspective? Yes. Though from what I gather, there are spoilery bits of Origin in I & II, and spoilery bits of I & II in Origin, but the impact of plot events is more felt in I & II if you knew beforehand, so people recommend I & II first.

That's just from my casual perusal of the community forum. Haven't played the games myself after all.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How is How to Survive?

Ditch that shitball FF7 now (hint: people only love it because it was ZOMG MY FIRST JRPG) and move on to FF8. They're not linked in any way.

True words.

Honestly I like other JRPGs more that came out during FF7's reign (Wild Arms in particular), and hell I figured some SNES JRPGs are better.

h#shdem0n

New Vegas for $2.50 is pretty much a no brainer for me, but is the Ultimate Edition worth the extra money? I'm also reallyyyy tempted to get Bioshock: Infinite for $10, even though I still haven't played Bioshock 2 and thought Bioshock 1, while still very good, was overrated.

$8 with a coupon code!

i forgot to get it :(

No. $10 with coupon code. It was $12.49.

ok Gaf im trying to register for the FF7 mod forums but this damn question keeps stumping me
_______ is only one right answer to this phrase (Their, There, They're):

Question: Is English your second language?

Cause I was going to say, based on what I see on the internet on a daily basis, most of the youth of today can't answer that anyway. :lol

Guess I'm the only one that voted for Space Hulk then.

Way to be a team player. :p

How is How to Survive?

True words.

Honestly I like other JRPGs more that came out during FF7's reign (Wild Arms in particular), and hell I figured some SNES JRPGs are better.

It's okay. For what I paid for it, I'll keep checking it out, but it's nothing I consider must buy or even worthy of recommendation.

As far as FF7 goes, it depends. I most definitely didn't like it because of "OMG, it's my first JRPG!!" So yeah, that's bullshit from where I'm sitting, though I'm sure there are people who have a high amount of fondness/nostalgia for it because it was their first. (I have that for the original Final Fantasy on NES, especially because I spent a lot of time with my Uncle bonding as we played through it).
Personally, I think the 3 PSOne Final Fantasy entries are top 5 of the Final Fantasy catalog. Again, it's all subjective.

But if you're a fan of FF8, we can still be friends, because that game gets trashed on a regular basis and I don't agree with the hatred it gets.

Reg

Banned
New Vegas for $2.50 is pretty much a no brainer for me, but is the Ultimate Edition worth the extra money? I'm also reallyyyy tempted to get Bioshock: Infinite for $10, even though I still haven't played Bioshock 2 and thought Bioshock 1, while still very good, was overrated.

I would also like to know if the ultimate edition is worth it over vanilla.

denx

The Ultimate Edition adds a ton of extra content to the game, so yeah, it is worth it.

edit: I bought the UE at 5 dollars though. Don't know why Bethesda is not doing a -75% for the UE as well.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Short of GMG manually verifying the veracity by checking user profiles (e.g. if somebody unlocked all three achievements seconds apart then they obviously didn't obtain them legitimately) I'm not sure what can be done. Some games do use server-side achievements, which renders SAM useless, but I don't think that's something Valve can/would retroactively implement even if it wanted to.

Edit: Beaten.

A lot of achievements are tied to completing the game, e.g. I unlocked 7 achievements when I finished Dishonored, so GMG would have to manually go through each title to mark what is and isn't legitimately possible.

Turfster

Also, for people that want to know more about the turbulent history of Remember me, check out this video (some spoilers)
I would totally play those earlier versions too

Gazoinks

I would also like to know if the ultimate edition is worth it over vanilla.

The DLC varies from Good to Great, and on the whole I think I had a better time in the DLC's story arc than the main game.

I'd recommend playing them: HH > DM > OWB > LR

Edit: Both games have been taken!

Normally I would have a person quote a post or use ModBot, but I'm not 100% sure whether these have been used or not. They are Humble Bundle keys for Steam copies of Shank 2 and Torchlight.

I'm just going to put them here. If you take it or see that it has been taken, please let me know so I can edit this post.

Shank 2 - Taken

Torchlight - Taken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom