• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

Ok, so I have a problem I hope you guys can help me with. I missed out on the BL2 GOTY sale a few days ago and it's really the only game I was planning to buy on this sale. Do I now go for flash sale BL2 without DLC or hope for GOTY to make a repeat on the final day?

I'm lost here.

You can buy it from here. It's 15$, it won't be any cheaper on steam. (although it says mac, you can redeem on windows).

Caerith

On one hand I get your point, on the other hand, why would you buy most of Agarest's DLC? A lot of it is of the cheat type, pay to win etc.
Well, I wouldn't. Why would I play a game that's clearly so poorly balanced that it takes $92.72 in DLC to make it fun?

Does Heroes VI use Uplay? I already own the game but it's not the Steam version and I'm tempted to buy it again so I can have it on Steam now that it's only $8. Stupid really but I really would prefer to have everything on Steam.

Also - the first Assassin's Creed game that I've ever enjoyed is IV Black Flag and I'm loving the absolute shit out of it. I think I want to 100% it. I started 1 and got about 20% through before I got bored, and 2 was even worse for me before I got bored. I find the Pirate setting REALLY compelling, however AS3 is only $10 at the moment and I'm wondering if anyone thinks that if I've enjoyed 4 will I enjoy 3?

Edit - I'd really like to finish out my collection of Snow Globes and I seem to have many doubles and missing only 3 cards, if anyone wants to trade please hit me up!

jersoc

What to vote on in this one? They all look pretty dull to me.

one is shitty early access taking up a spot. another is an awful cell phone game. just choose the other one out of spite.

steam needs a 4th option this year. the rest are fucking terrible just give me a card option.

Jawmuncher

Agarest isn't bad at that price BUT you better be a huge fan of that type of RPG.
It's definitely not friendly towards more casual JRPG players. The game is all about the grind and going out of your way to get better equipment. I didn't know that going in, since I though it would be pretty welcoming to newcomers and boy was I wrong. Had to cheat to finish the game. Biggest positive is the characters which sadly if you want to see all there is with them you have to follow a perfect guide to do so.

Actually fuck it stay away from Agarest unless you're a die hard JRPG player, but assuming if you are you probably already made up your mind about it.

pahamrick

Does Heroes VI use Uplay? I already own the game but it's not the Steam version and I'm tempted to buy it again so I can have it on Steam now that it's only $8. Stupid really but I really would prefer to have everything on Steam.

Also - the first Assassin's Creed game that I've ever enjoyed is IV Black Flag and I'm loving the absolute shit out of it. I think I want to 100% it. I started 1 and got about 20% through before I got bored, and 2 was even worse for me before I got bored. I find the Pirate setting REALLY compelling, however AS3 is only $10 at the moment and I'm wondering if anyone thinks that if I've enjoyed 4 will I enjoy 3?

Edit - I'd really like to finish out my collection of Snow Globes and I seem to have many doubles and missing only 3 cards, if anyone wants to trade please hit me up!

Yeah, Heroes VI requires uPlay.

Jawmuncher

How's Grid 2? What's the price in the US?

And is Remember Me worth the money?

Remember me is definitely worth the 12.50 for the setting and soundtrack alone.
It's definitely one of the better titles this year that's been all but forgotten. You'll get a 6-8 hour campaign and it's a tad mix of Uncharted Platforming and Batman combat with it's only little unique spin. You can do far worse with that much money.

Sallokin

So this is my first time running into Steam region locking. Wanted to grab Remember Me and it's not showing up for me in the store >_< Super annoying.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'd rather have Disgaea on PC. Now *that* I think would sell like hotcakes. (And also comes with a million DLC you don't need, except for maybe the character dlc).

hohoXD123

I wouldn't have any high expectations, found the setting and characters for 3 pretty dull in comparison to 4. Have you already played 2 and AC:B?

Jawmuncher

I'd rather have Disgaea on PC. Now *that* I think would sell like hotcakes. (And also comes with a million DLC you don't need, except for maybe the character dlc).

How is Disagea for more "beginner" jrpg players? I have played my fair share but have never really been good at them. So long as the game allows me to grind and buy better equipment from a store rather than crafting I can handle that then.

Caerith

What to vote on in this one? They all look pretty dull to me.

Your choices:
  • An up-priced mobile game that, if it wins the vote, will still be more expensive than it is on the app store.
  • An up-priced mobile/facebook game that is free on mobile and on facebook.
  • Contraption Maker.
You really don't need those dlcs, it's like with Bamco dlcs, they are for those that want to pay to get it easy.
Right. And I don't really need the base game. Can't even tell which DLC is the boob mousepad.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Question for a friend: Can you use the XBox 360 wireless controller on a pc if you plug it in with the play&charge kit?

I guess not?

kudoboi

Remember me is definitely worth the 12.50 for the setting and soundtrack alone.
It's definitely one of the better titles this year that's been all but forgotten. You'll get a 6-8 hour campaign and it's a tad mix of Uncharted Platforming and Batman combat with it's only little unique spin. You can do far worse with that much money.

agreed. its a shame that there isn't a open world/ GTA ish game with such a setting other than deus ex. im hoping cyberpunk 2077 will bring that but its still 2 years away

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
How is Disagea for more "beginner" jrpg players? I have played my fair share but have never really been good at them. So long as the game allows me to grind and buy better equipment from a store rather than crafting I can handle that then.

Easy to get into, and not hard at all because you can grind yourself to silly overpowered levels. In that sense it's hopelessly inferior to better strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem, but it does have a nice quirky charm about it and silly humor.

Caerith

It's not really a JRPG so much as it is an SRPG (/split-hairs) but it's pretty accessible and goofy as hell. You can grind so much in that game-- besides the fact that the upper limit on levels, stats, and damage is really far out there, you can also level up your equipment by entering it and grinding through random dungeons inside it.

dani_dc

The controls are insanely bad in Guacamelee. One button for fucking everything. This is the reason I despise using a controller for anything.

Really frustrating. It's all press this button while holding this direction, but all of the special abilities are on the same buttons.

You tried to headbutt at the end of your combo but were too close to the wall? Guess were doing the ability where when you're on a wall you can hit Y (headbutt button) to jump to an adjacent wall. Now their shield is back, whoops.

It wouldn't be so bad if the game wasn't really fucking hard. Feeling like the controls are causing you to make mistakes is a huge part of why I play games on a PC.

Haven't had a single issue, it's all in the player control, every action is directly related to the direction, B+Up does an Up attack, B+Down does a down attack, B+Side does a side attack, B does a standing in place attack.
It can't get much simpler than that. You won't be doing wrong attacks unless you, the player, is failing at the input.

Also Y is not for regular special attacks, it's to grab the wall and, much later in the game to do wall-related attacks.

Also your example is false, if you're near a wall and you press B, the character headbuts, even if you're already grabbing the wall and you press B the character will let go off the wall and headbut (I took the time to go and check).
For what you describe to happen, you would have to be pressing Y and the opposite direction of the wall, and if you were doing so while trying to headbut (B+no direction), well, I don't see how it's the game fault that you were pressing a wrong button and an extra directional input.

There are some dubious choices with the a few gamepad buttons (mostly the chicken and dimensional shifting not really being positioned in the gamepad with any logical consideration), but it simply sounds that you suck at playing the game (probably due to lack of experience with a gamepad).

It's not really a JRPG so much as it is an SRPG (/split-hairs) but it's pretty accessible and goofy as hell. You can grind so much in that game-- besides the fact that the upper limit on levels, stats, and damage is really far out there, you can also level up your equipment by entering it and grinding through random dungeons inside it.

I'd say that the point of Disagea is to grind.
I found that as a strategy game it was sub-par, this is until I figure out that the game was not about strategy to finish the missions, but about the strategy to maximize your grind per mission, at which point the game became a lot more interesting and enjoyable.

Milamber

Disgaea is not for the faint of heart. This Penny Arcade strip puts it best...

yY2kr8p.jpg

Jawmuncher

Easy to get into, and not hard at all because you can grind yourself to silly overpowered levels. In that sense it's hopelessly inferior to better strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem, but it does have a nice quirky charm about it and silly humor.

Sounds good to me. I'm always mixing up SRPG so I just lump it in with JRPG.
If it ever hits steam I'll probably grab it. But since it's not I believe I added Disagea 3 to my PS+ list when it was a freebie so I can try it there at least.

Disgaea is not for the faint of heart. This Penny Arcade strip puts it best...

yY2kr8p.jpg

Oh wow. Still with the previous comments and this comic I think i'm doing myself a disservice if I don't at least check it out.

Arthea

You have to spend countless hours, mostly in item worlds. It's all about grinding actually, but it's fun, only takes really really long to get fun.
I wouldn't say it's very easy to get into, though, as it takes time to get into all mechanics that are in place, but then again which TRPG is? Except maybe Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.

Ahhhhh! I'm pissed! I was watching some ARMA 3 videos on youtube to see if it was worth it, and by the time I had made up my mind to buy it, the 40% off deal got lowered to 25%. Jumped from like 30$ to 45$.

Now I'm considering waiting even more, taking the chance it comes down in price once more, while also taking the risk it goes back to it's full price. Loved DayZ the standalone, now I need more. This DayZ mode in ARMA 3 sounds damn good too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I doubt it. Black Flag fixes many issues present in 3, for instance the aesthetically and architecturally dull setting, overly "magnetic" free running system that often has you interacting with things you want to avoid, poorly-implemented secondary/full sync objectives that are almost universally more frustrating than legitimately challenging, and a stupidly cumbersome out-of-game weapon menu (as opposed to a quick-select menu present in previous games and Black Flag); plus the naval aspect is dramatically smaller in scope. The core moment-to-moment gameplay is virtually identical, though, so if you're having fun with that you could roll the dice. I preferred the DLC to the main campaign, although it's not exactly great, either.

Arthea

We really shouldn't call those games SRPGs, King's Bounty is SRPG, HoMM is to the lesser degree, Disciples are.
Disgaea, Agarest and such are TRPGs, you basically have only story and grid based tactical combat. There is very little if at all strategy involved.

Bri

Your choices:
  • An up-priced mobile game that, if it wins the vote, will still be more expensive than it is on the app store.
  • An up-priced mobile/facebook game that is free on mobile and on facebook.
  • Contraption Maker.
Holy shit. What an atrocious collection of choices.

Blank ballot, gaben pls

Jenks

Banned
I loved that the Wizardry 6,7 and 8 pack was 10pence then just 8 on its own ha ha.
Dont want any of the community choice games what do i vote gaf?
Contraption maker?

wazoo

Jørdan;95252722 said:
Unless I'm missing a joke, it does and that is what I play exclusively. Great series, got me into the genre.

tell me more. I am interested. You play against tha AI, ok, but what are the goals ? I thought there is no campaign.

Lain

NISA would just pack all the DLC into the game in that case, as they have done with those PSP and VITA ports, imho.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Game is terrible man and it has nothing to do with graphics or the sexual innuendo the game has. The gameplay is hot garbage. Don't take my word for it just look at the 51 metacritic.
To be quite honest, some good (or acceptable) games have a (relatively) low Metacritic score (Duke Nukem Forever - 54), and some mediocre (or disappointing) ones have a relatively high one (Assassin's Creed 2 - 86).

So the site is nothing more than a compilation of different opinions for a given game. Take it with a grain of salt.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
To be quite honest, some good (or acceptable) games have a (relatively) low Metacritic score (Duke Nukem Forever - 54), and some mediocre (or disappointing) ones have a relatively high one (Assassin's Creed 2 - 86).

So the site is nothing more than a compilation of different opinions for a given game. Take it with a grain of salt.

Agreed. There's this echo chamber in the ratings world. DNF is a pretty decent game but the pile on hatred of it is absurd. AC2, also, is not an "86" IMO. Two great examples of why the gaming echo chamber can be incredibly misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom