• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedict

I see that Cold Fear is available for €2.49 on Steam. Cheaper on GMG but Uplay only there.
Might hold out another day or two.

What was the other "horror"-game that was pretty good on Wii? About mountain-climbing.

The_Monk

Remember Me is definitely worth getting the definitive PC version for.
Grid is cheaper and apparently better than Grid 2, and Bland 2... well...

I believe that PC version is the way to play them, it's just that I already "own" them but I don't have the console anymore. I've been playing my games 90% of the time on PC, I just want to reach the encore day and purchase at least one more game then I'll be set for this sale. Budgeting everyday for the past days when we are so close to ending is no longer fun! :p

rezn0r

I see that Cold Fear is available for €2.49 on Steam. Cheaper on GMG but Uplay only there.

What was the other "horror"-game that was pretty good on Wii? About mountain-climbing.

Cursed Mountain, I never got around to that but I wanted to

Seanspeed

Banned
No, it doesn't mean that. It means that the large majority of game reviewers that are featured in that site have enyojed the game. There's no proper way to measure how much customers liked it.

Don't forget that scored may have been bought, and all that shady stuff we already know about (GameSpot's Kane & Lynch debacle, Polygon's Shifting Scores™ and such). All in all, I'd say reviews are good for an overview of a game, but if you want proper opinions, just stick to fellow forum posters and/or friends. Youtube gameplay videos can be another good thing, though sometimes a video isn't enough to get a proper feel for the game (like with No More Heroes: I didn't like what I had seen at all, but ended up loving the game once I played it).
Metacritic includes a User Score as well. So yes, it does have a proper way to measure that.

Jawmuncher

Cursed Mountain. Also if that game is "good" is up for debate. It borderlines on mixed reception to skip it. Also Cold Fear is apparently DRM Free even if it's the steam version so there's that. Waiting for 2.49 myself which it has never hit on steam sadly.

Arthea

Metacritic includes a User Score as well. So yes, it does have a proper way to measure that.

There is no proper way to measure any game in numbers. It's individual how much enjoyment we get from a game. It's more or less is possible to measure technical side of things (how good game runs for example) but how good a game is? Not possible.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They did that? I'm shocked.

Yes, which is why it's generally better to wait for the portable ports of Disgaea over the console version.

toastyToast said:
Got the Rare TF2 item for crafting the Holiday badge. Should I hang onto it? It's worth like $2.50 now

Only if you play TF2. If you don't play/don't care about the items, sell it for the $2.50 you can get right now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What is the cheapest Remember Me has been?

I was kind of hoping for sub 10 this sale somewhere. Still full price on GreenMan. What was that website that tells you the price history of steam games and lets you compare to other sites? I've seen it before but can't recall.

Maybe you're at work or something and you probably know about it but for anyone else http://www.enhancedsteam.com/

TheSeks

Wouldn't the price on that item just go up though if he waited?

Possibly, double so when the sale ends. Depends on how much "demand" the TF2 community has for it.

"Sure profit" right now versus "unstable profit."

It's a waiting game, like the snowglobes.

(Speaking of which: Who needs to craft badges? I have TWO #3's and a #8. First come, first served on each of them. PM me your Steam ID and I'll get back to you later today)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Which has been known to be full of stupid 0-points or 10-points reviews, like in the case of some CoD games, from people who are simply fanboys of the competing game or just trolling. So in my opinion, it's even more inaccurate than the Metascore, if only because this isn't moderated (as far as I know).

Wouldn't the price on that item just go up though if he waited?

That's what I was thinking but I'm not sure how often new items come out and what demand for items is like since I don't keep track of TF2

I think I'll just sit on it until the end of the sale and maybe cash it in on the last day if I don't decide to hold on for longer

derExperte

Cursed Mountain. Also if that game is "good" is up for debate. It borderlines on mixed reception to skip it. Also Cold Fear is apparently DRM Free even if it's the steam version so there's that. Waiting for 2.49 myself which it has never hit on steam sadly.

I tried Cursed Mountain because the setting sounded interesting but it takes ages to get going, looks and controls bad and I remember getting mightily annoyed by the first boss. Stopped shortly after that.

Peff

Does anyone know what the situation is on GTA1/2? I know GMG had codes that still unlocked until not too long ago, but what about buying GTA Complete on Steam itsefl?

tim.mbp

I ordered a notebook this morning so I finally joined Steam. I picked up Portal + Portal 2, Gemini Rue, Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons and Torchlight II. Looking forward to getting this party started.

Edit: Controllers are plug and play? Any recommendations?

Kaleinc

Banned
Does anyone know what the situation is on GTA1/2? I know GMG had codes that still unlocked until not too long ago, but what about buying GTA Complete on Steam itsefl?
There you go:
GTA Complete Pack (ROW)
Includes 5 items: Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

TheSeks

360 controller. PS3 if you use Xinput wrapper.

Most modern PC titles support Xinput, but older titles don't and sue DirectInput which isn't supported much anymore, so those will be a pain in the ass to get modern controllers working with.

derExperte

I ordered a notebook this morning so I finally joined Steam. I picked up Portal + Portal 2, Gemini Rue, Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons and Torchlight II. Looking forward to getting this party started.

If you own a 360 wireless pad you'll need a USB dongle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HZFCT2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also before buying more games: Wait for the daily deals! Or repeats on the last day.

Hagi

Possibly, double so when the sale ends. Depends on how much "demand" the TF2 community has for it.

"Sure profit" right now versus "unstable profit."

It's a waiting game, like the snowglobes.

(Speaking of which: Who needs to craft badges? I have TWO #3's and a #8. First come, first served on each of them. PM me your Steam ID and I'll get back to you later today)

Woo i need the #8. Still need a #2 and #4 as well to finish the badge.

Thorgal

Thought to post this here also for my opinion on the controversial Cinematic mod of Half life 2 and the episodes :

Ok so i decided to take a risk and go to the dark side of Half life 2 modding and try out the Cinematic mod 2013 version .

And to be quite honest . after expecting the worst i must say i was actually surprised how good it looks in places .
Sure. it it's nowhere close to Fallout /skyim level of texture mod's but to say that it makes the world look utterly abominable is Wrong in my opinion .

About the character models : i can understand why people are put off by it (especially the Alyx models ) and the creator seems to have been aware of it as he allowed you to keep all the old character models while keeping everything else updated .

In the end it will have to come down to personal taste whether you like the new textures or not .
But for me it is quite passable .

hl22013-12-3013-08-327lr2x.png

hl22013-12-3013-32-233mpm2.png

nacimento

To be quite honest, some good (or acceptable) games have a (relatively) low Metacritic score (Duke Nukem Forever - 54), and some mediocre (or disappointing) ones have a relatively high one (Assassin's Creed 2 - 86).

So the site is nothing more than a compilation of different opinions for a given game. Take it with a grain of salt.

True, Assassin's Creed 2 metascore is bullshit; should be in the 90's.

Late response but I was asleep!

ok Gaf im trying to register for the FF7 mod forums but this damn question keeps stumping me
_______ is only one right answer to this phrase (Their, There, They're):

Simple way of remembering:

there = place e.g. "Ooooh yes! Put it just there."
their = possessive i.e. owned by e.g. "sup u got dah smiffs number i wants to go 2 their orgy lol"
they're = they are e.g. "The Smiths? They're going to the orgy. Me? Nah, I think I'll stay in and wash my hair."

Hope that helps :).

I would apologise for the pervy examples but adding sexual content to an example makes it more memorable.

Truthfacts!

dani_dc

I meant the grapple. It's on Y, many times I'd end my combo next to a wall and do the wall flying thing instead of grab someone.

Your excuse that the gameplay is perfect and if there are any mistakes its on the side of the player is actually hilarious. This isn't Ys. I really don't know what else to say, I would go count how many actions are on each single button but I already deleted the game.

Also, ya obviously the game isn't taking my left + B as a down + B, that isn't what I'm arguing, my point is that there shouldn't be so many actions on the same button. It's like fucking Mass Effect with every god damn thing on the space bar. Mark of the Ninja also had some of this but not as bad as Guacamelee, or it didn't demand as much from the player so it wasn't as annoying.

To clarify, I am literally at the end of the game. I got the warning I couldn't go back if I proceeded, went back to clear stuff and have lost all interest in the game, I don't care to go kill the last boss as the story boils down to lady friend kidnapped, chase while killing henchmen.

If you insist I'm just shit, I will reinstall the game and livestream the part I'm having trouble with.

The grapple and wall issue I could see being an issue, though I'm under the impression that the grapple takes priority over the wall grabbing in which case that shouldn't happen unless you missed the grapple timing, but I can't really confirm that without testing (and it's a particular situation that would be more trouble than it's worth to test, especially since it'd be a pain to assert if the issue was happening due to priority or missed timing) or looking at the source code of the game.

There are 4 actions with the Y button (grab, up, down, sides) and 4 with the B button (stand special attack, up special attack, side special attack and down special attack).

Those actions are all assigned to the same button because they're actually directional variations of the same move.
It can't get much more intuitive than Up+"Special Attack Button" for an upwards special attack.

The later part of the game do suffer from some annoying level design (I'd say that even the level design in some of the earlier parts required too tight execution as well), and I wouldn't really say a person sucks for having issues with those.
What I'm arguing is that your inability to properly control the fighting mechanics of the game is due to your shortcomings with a gamepad, not because of the fighting mechanics/mapping are themselves.

While I'm curious to where you're stuck on, I don't really think it's worth the effort to livestream, especially since I'm planning to head off the PC soon.

Seanspeed

Banned
There is no proper way to measure any game in numbers. It's individual how much enjoyment we get from a game. It's more or less is possible to measure technical side of things (how good game runs for example) but how good a game is? Not possible.
Yes, its individual, but we are actually a lot more alike than people like to think. I never said to use it as a sure-fire way to tell how good a game is, but better games do tend to get better scores. Use it as a general guide or suggestion, not as your sole determiner. Its just as ridiculous to say that review scores mean nothing as it is to say they mean everything.

Miletius

Hoping that Contraption Maker gets the nod. I have a huge nostalgia affair with the Incredible Machine so this would be awesome to get for $ 2.50.

Turfster

Remember me is in second position!
Actually, let's call it first, since DayZ has been number 1 since it was released it and thus doesn't even count any more! =p

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The Bard's Tale is...weird. First character you can talk to starts singing about beer for three minutes.
I like it!

Finally got caught by the sale, though only $10 worth. Kind of hoping for a nice assortment on the final day of it since I'd sooner just have one sizable order round things off.

The funny thing is this whole thing mainly just increased the size of my wishlist by a huge amount as I'd apparently lost track on a great number of games.

oipic

Fired up Dust for perhaps a quick thirty minute session before bed... and nearly three hours later...

I'm only 17% of the way through the story, seemingly, and still fearing a difficulty spike that may hit sometime soon (playing on 'normal' often tends to be a bit beyond me with such games), but have loved every minute of it so far.

Fine work, Noogy <3

Splatt

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

World of Goo -- MB-1CE78DB021679E6E - Taken by user237. 6 entrants total.

t1388421446z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom