• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Oh forgot to tell you JaseC. I bought my Dad ACIV for Christmas and he loves it. He's never played any of the other games but the fact that it's pirates is all he needed to enjoy it. He's been playing the hell out of it. I really wondering how the spinoff series is going to go on AC Pirates. Since apparently my dad isn't the only one in that boat.
Kinda intentional pun

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I got more snow globes after making a badge to reach level 5. Should I buy the four more needed to craft another badge, or just sell off the ones I have?

On an unrelated note, I altered this Gurren Lagann scaling image to suit this thread.
CQPtuN2.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh forgot to tell you JaseC. I bought my Dad ACIV for Christmas and he loves it. He's never played any of the other games but the fact that it's pirates is all he needed to enjoy it. He's been playing the hell out of it. I really wondering how the spinoff series is going to go on AC Pirates. Since apparently my dad isn't the only one in that boat.
Kinda intentional pun

I hope Ubi spinning off Black Flag into its own series will mean a return to large, sprawling cities for AssCreed 2014.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
To be quite honest, some good (or acceptable) games have a (relatively) low Metacritic score (Duke Nukem Forever - 54), and some mediocre (or disappointing) ones have a relatively high one (Assassin's Creed 2 - 86).

So the site is nothing more than a compilation of different opinions for a given game. Take it with a grain of salt.

Agreed. There's this echo chamber in the ratings world. DNF is a pretty decent game but the pile on hatred of it is absurd. AC2, also, is not an "86" IMO. Two great examples of why the gaming echo chamber can be incredibly misleading.

So how's Agarest in your opinion then?

Arthea

To be quite honest, some good (or acceptable) games have a (relatively) low Metacritic score (Duke Nukem Forever - 54), and some mediocre (or disappointing) ones have a relatively high one (Assassin's Creed 2 - 86).

So the site is nothing more than a compilation of different opinions for a given game. Take it with a grain of salt.

I loathe metacritics, I think the site is corrupt to the core. Then again not that I care about any scores, good reviews from knowledgeable people is another matter.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wat? Assassin's Creed 2 is a good game. Duke Nukem is worthless at best.

I can easily tell you which one I'd far prefer to play. Though, admittedly, I am really digging AC4. But that's because I'm on a gotdamn boat. Worst part of the game is the AC parts, like eavesdropping.

Never played it. Just posting to say don't necessarily dismiss a game because of Metacritic. GAF impressions have been good, IMO. So are quick looks and YouTube play throughs. Those give me the best idea of whether I'll enjoy a game.

Caerith

Kinda intentional pun

I'd be interested if they just dropped AC from it and made a game called Pirates: Pirates.

Jawmuncher

I'd be interested if they just dropped AC from it and made a game called Pirates: Pirates.

Have to say I agree.
Personally one of my biggest dislikes to AC is the animus stuff. Was interesting in the first game. But having played 2 and brotherhood as well it just feels so unneeded. Focusing on just the time period and pirates would greatly be to my liking.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wat? Assassin's Creed 2 is a good game. Duke Nukem is worthless at best.
Duke Nukem Forever was fun to me due to the character, which I'm a huge fan of. AC2 overstayed its welcome for over 12 hours; after the 10 hour mark it became so dull and monotonous that it made me retroactively hate the game (and I'm not even joking here).

How would I know? I haven't played it, nor do I plan to.

Jørdan

There is both single player and multiplayer, the former being against the AI which can be multiple factions and 'pirates'. If you know how the Civilization series works it is similar in that the factions are akin to civilizations and Sins pirates with Civs barbarians (which can also be disabled). Again with the analogy you can create different sized maps, the SIns ones being solar systems. These are randomly generated and have a variety of settings, however there are also scenarios and challenges were set conditions are given to be accomplished. Mod support allows for more of these made by fans along with the usual fare such as UI enhancements and new vessels. So with a sandbox mode and scenarios there is plenty to do in SP, there are a few good let's plays on Youtube that would give an idea of how the games play out.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Eh, honestly Disgaea and all of other Nippon Ichi games didn't click with me. Design doesn't interest me and it doesn't feel intricate.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I can easily tell you which one I'd far prefer to play. Though, admittedly, I am really digging AC4. But that's because I'm on a gotdamn boat. Worst part of the game is the AC parts, like eavesdropping.
You know, I was interested in AC3 due to the ship sections too, but I never got to play it and then I heard a lot of complains about it, which sounded like all the stuff I hated about AC2 and then some.

But if AC4 is good in that regard I may keep it in mind. The only problem is that it's still an AC game, which means it'll probably have all that collectible stuff, repetitive missions and auto-platforming that I despised.

Never played it. Just posting to say don't necessarily dismiss a game because of Metacritic. GAF impressions have been good, IMO. So are quick looks and YouTube play throughs. Those give me the best idea of whether I'll enjoy a game.
Can't agree more!

Seanspeed

Banned

Yes, its a compilation of opinions. But if a game gets an 86 on metacritic, it means that the large majority of people have enjoyed that game. If a game gets a 51, it means the large majority of people have not enjoyed that game. So unless you have super unique tastes, using average review scores is a good way to discern what is a safer bet, even if it doesn't mean everything.

Assassin's Creed 2 is awesome, by the way.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I skipped sin of a solar empire.

It seems it has no single player.

I've never touched the multiplayer component and I've put a ridiculous amount of time into the single player game (pre-Trinity and Rebellion). It's the perfect entry point for the 4x genre and I'd highly recommend it (I never play multiplayer games).

Arthea

That's because you clicked JaseC link, you should be seeing all prices in pyions too.

Use ?cc=us or whatever your region is and you should be able to see it.

That's not a problem, I bought this game more times I wish to count, on steam too and it was available in my region, so it was removed not so long ago then.

They did for D3 on VITA.
I was wrong about PSP though, they made some DLC that they sold separately for the PSP version of Disgaea 2.

It's still great for VITA owners. I never would expect something like this from NI.

Echoplx

tell me more. I am interested. You play against tha AI, ok, but what are the goals ? I thought there is no campaign.

Your goal is to win? I'm not sure what you mean, RTS campaigns are basically just a series of matches against AI tied together with cutsenes and sometimes special victory conditions.

Jawmuncher

So has their been any word on Fable 3 and Ace Combat Assualt Horizon coming back to steam? Fable 3 was removed due to GFWL errors right? But seems odd to just get rid of it forever rather than fix it but then again it is MS. Aside from that Assulat Horizon has had key issues for the last 2 months that I know of. Yet it's still on the store.

The_Monk

Just saw that Remember Me won! And Borderlands 2 and Grid 2 are also on sale. 3 games with 75% OFF with a very decent price that I was looking to get into yet I own them all on my PS+ but I no longer have my PS3 anymore. Too bad!

Arthea

You sure? it happened to me too and was because of that.

I'm sure, I did search, and then I went to store page from my games list, nothing. It's not there anymore.
Although it might be temporary problem, it happened with BNW before, it disappeared for a week or two only reappear later without a game pic to its name. :)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You know, I was interested in AC3 due to the ship sections too, but I never got to play it and then I heard a lot of complains about it, which sounded like all the stuff I hated about AC2 and then some.

But if AC4 is good in that regard I may keep it in mind. The only problem is that it's still an AC game, which means it'll probably have all that collectible stuff, repetitive missions and auto-platforming that I despised.
I also hate, hate, hate AC. But I was so enamored with the ability to be a pirate that I picked up AC4 for my PS4. Fantastic decision and absolutely the game I've been playing the most on my PS4.
Yes, its a compilation of opinions. But if a game gets an 86 on metacritic, it means that the large majority of people have enjoyed that game. If a game gets a 51, it means the large majority of people have not enjoyed that game. So unless you have super unique tastes, using average review scores is a good way to discern what is a safer bet, even if it doesn't mean everything.

Somewhat. But there's the echo chamber and hive mind issue. For example, look at GTAIV reviews and people's opinion of it after the hype died down. I bought it because of reviews, hated it because, well, I hate GTA mechanics, and months after, everyone came around.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
What's your opinion on the game so far?

It's kinda fun. Once you accept its many, many faults (horrible animation, bland graphics, clunky controls) you actually get a game that's rather entertaining. The story and its backdrop is rather mundane but the characters are colourful in a really bizarre way and the strange German-to-English translation leads to many hilarious moments. Also, the voice-acting is firmly in the so-bad-its-good category leaving you with performances that are dead and wooden or EXTREMELY OVER-THE-TOP, often from the same character and even in a single sentence.

The levelling system and combat abilities and spells are OK and definitely improve as you unlock more of them but by and large the combat is humdrum.

If you can play this with friends (my wife is loving this; nothing will ever top the whole "flirt/beef" dialogue option) and perhaps with copious amounts of alcohol.

JaseC

So has their been any word on Fable 3 and Ace Combat Assualt Horizon coming back to steam? Fable 3 was removed due to GFWL errors right? But seems odd to just get rid of it forever rather than fix it but then again it is MS. Aside from that Assulat Horizon has had key issues for the last 2 months that I know of. Yet it's still on the store.

No, but there have been recent registry rumblings that could suggest AoE Online and MS Flight are set to return to Steam, the former with Steamworks integration and the latter as a paid (i.e. non-F2P) game.

jediyoshi

GFWL in Fable 3 still works fine, multiplayer and all. I imagine it's just from them giving up in wanting to deal with keys given the last community update. It'd probably be way more work than they're willing to do to remove it. Game has a lot of multiplayer hooks.

Dec

Haven't had a single issue, it's all in the player control, every action is directly related to the direction, B+Up does an Up attack, B+Down does a down attack, B+Side does a side attack, B does a standing in place attack.
It can't get much simpler than that. You won't be doing wrong attacks unless you, the player, is failing at the input.

Also Y is not for regular special attacks, it's to grab the wall and, much later in the game to do wall-related attacks.

Also your example is false, if you're near a wall and you press B, the character headbuts, even if you're already grabbing the wall and you press B the character will let go off the wall and headbut (I took the time to go and check).
For what you describe to happen, you would have to be pressing Y and the opposite direction of the wall, and if you were doing so while trying to headbut (B+no direction), well, I don't see how it's the game fault that you were pressing a wrong button and an extra directional input.

There are some dubious choices with the a few gamepad buttons (mostly the chicken and dimensional shifting not really being positioned in the gamepad with any logical consideration), but it simply sounds that you suck at playing the game (probably due to lack of experience with a gamepad).

I meant the grapple. It's on Y, many times I'd end my combo next to a wall and do the wall flying thing instead of grab someone.

Your excuse that the gameplay is perfect and if there are any mistakes its on the side of the player is actually hilarious. This isn't Ys. I really don't know what else to say, I would go count how many actions are on each single button but I already deleted the game.

Also, ya obviously the game isn't taking my left + B as a down + B, that isn't what I'm arguing, my point is that there shouldn't be so many actions on the same button. It's like fucking Mass Effect with every god damn thing on the space bar. Mark of the Ninja also had some of this but not as bad as Guacamelee, or it didn't demand as much from the player so it wasn't as annoying.

To clarify, I am literally at the end of the game. I got the warning I couldn't go back if I proceeded, went back to clear stuff and have lost all interest in the game, I don't care to go kill the last boss as the story boils down to lady friend kidnapped, chase while killing henchmen.

If you insist I'm just shit, I will reinstall the game and livestream the part I'm having trouble with.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

No, it doesn't mean that. It means that the large majority of game reviewers that are featured in that site have enjoyed the game. There's no proper way to measure how much customers liked it.

Don't forget that scores may have been bought, and all that shady stuff we already know about (GameSpot's Kane & Lynch debacle, Polygon's Shifting Scores™ and such). All in all, I'd say reviews are good for an overview of a game, but if you want proper opinions, just stick to fellow forum posters and/or friends. Youtube gameplay videos can be another good thing, though sometimes a video isn't enough to get a proper feel for the game (like with No More Heroes: I didn't like what I had seen at all, but ended up loving the game once I played it).

JaseC

Well I guess that's better than nothing.
I enjoyed AoE Online a good bit when I played it.

I thought I bought the AoE Online DLC that added a single-player component, but apparently not. :( It was half off for months at one point (late 2011/early 2012, I think) and I simply never got around to it.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

I don't think it's a reliable way to average review scores to help you discern if a game is good or not, especially if the score is high. I'd take a Gaffer opinion over a metacritic score any day.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else unable to install anything right now?
Yes.

Because I'm at work, and Steam is blocked here :p

I also hate, hate, hate AC. But I was so enamored with the ability to be a pirate that I picked up AC4 for my PS4. Fantastic decision and absolutely the game I've been playing the most on my PS4.
That's good to hear! Sounds to me like it'll be a cool $5 game down the line.

What is the cheapest Remember Me has been?

I was kind of hoping for sub 10 this sale somewhere. Still full price on GreenMan. What was that website that tells you the price history of steam games and lets you compare to other sites? I've seen it before but can't recall.

Turfster

Just saw that Remember Me won! And Borderlands 2 and Grid 2 are also on sale. 3 games with 75% OFF with a very decent price that I was looking to get into yet I own them all on my PS+ but I no longer have my PS3 anymore. Too bad!
Remember Me is definitely worth getting the definitive PC version for.
Grid is cheaper and apparently better than Grid 2, and Bland 2... well...

I was kind of hoping for sub 10 this sale somewhere. Still full price on GreenMan. What was that website that tells you the price history of steam games and lets you compare to other sites? I've seen it before but can't recall.

isthereanydeal
It's been 8$ on GMG I think with the voucher.

Jawmuncher

It was 10 on GMG but that sasle is done now.
www.isthereanydeal.com is the site you want.

EDIT:Beaten but I don't really care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom