• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Yes, its individual, but we are actually a lot more alike than people like to think. I never said to use it as a sure-fire way to tell how good a game is, but better games do tend to get better scores. Use it as a general guide or suggestion, not as your sole determiner. Its just as ridiculous to say that review scores mean nothing as it is to say they mean everything.

They do mean nothing for me, if I was to buy games based on scores, I wouldn't be a gamer anymore, as I dislike so huge number of games with high scores, it's ridiculous!
Better games tend to get better scores, but only if your taste for games is about what would be average of mainstream gaming community (and it is average for reason that more people play those games, not necessary like them a lot), if any of your finger is dipped into niche gaming, it's all over for you. You only get to know what's good or bad by playing yourself and metacritic annoys instead of helping to choose.

ArjanN

Fired up Dust for perhaps a quick thirty minute session before bed... and nearly three hours later...

I'm only 17% of the way through the story, seemingly, and still fearing a difficulty spike that may hit sometime soon (playing on 'normal' often tends to be a bit beyond me with such games), but have loved every minute of it so far.

Fine work, Noogy <3

There's no difficulty spike on normal, in fact the game is really easy on normal IMO, so I very much doubt you'll have any problems in that regard.

dani_dc

Looking at the achievements I think I've missed a lot of stuff D:

You can't see everything on a single run, that's part of the fun.
Note: You can press tab to automatically skip what you already saw/read (or skip everything if you want, it's changeable in the options).

Dec

The grapple and wall issue I could see being an issue, though I'm under the impression that the grapple takes priority over the wall grabbing in which case that shouldn't happen unless you missed the grapple timing, but I can't really confirm that without testing (and it's a particular situation that would be more trouble than it's worth to test, especially since it'd be a pain to assert if the issue was happening due to priority or missed timing) or looking at the source code of the game.

There are 4 actions with the Y button (grab, up, down, sides) and 4 with the B button (stand special attack, up special attack, side special attack and down special attack).

Those actions are all assigned to the same button because they're actually directional variations of the same move.
It can't get much more intuitive than Up+"Special Attack Button" for an upwards special attack.

The later part of the game do suffer from some annoying level design (I'd say that even the level design in some of the earlier parts required too tight execution as well), and I wouldn't really say a person sucks for having issues with those.
What I'm arguing is that your inability to properly control the fighting mechanics of the game is due to your shortcomings with a gamepad, not because of the fighting mechanics/mapping are themselves.

While I'm curious to where you're stuck on, I don't really think it's worth the effort to livestream, especially since I'm planning to head off the PC soon.

I have already expressed my disdain for controllers. I don't care to get "good" with them as they are inaccurate input methods I use very rarely. The issue I'm having is of course with a game being designed around a controller that doe not have enough buttons. This is the case with all games that have the issue of one button doing upwards of four actions.

This is the part I was frustrated with.

Edit: Seems trivial in coop. These guys are really bad.

Edit2: Wow. They actually die like 7 times in that and still fail in the end. Solo you get exactly one health bar to do the entire thing and I still made it further than them.

I actually think a lot of the frustration is the skeleton costume I guess. I put it on very early in the game and never took it off, it disables healing from the health orbs enemies drop.

oipic

There's no difficulty spike on normal, in fact the game is really easy on normal IMO, so I very much doubt you'll have any problems in that regard.

Great, that's good to hear (for me, anyway) - I may have misinterpreted or read too much into a couple of reviews, I think. Thanks, Arjan - cheers. :)

ICKE

Banned
So Drakensang : River of time is -50%.

Do you think I would like the game If Baldurs Gate and Dragon Age Origins are among my all-time favourites?

How's the plot and mechanics etc?

I guess I'm just surprised there are enough people who didn't pick it up when it was free and are still willing to throw down cash to still outsell everything but some dirt-cheap dlc.

I expect most of those couldn't pick it up due to network issues or because they were unaware of the offer.

Clever clever Valve.

A sprat to catch a mackerel.

Same deal with all these games that are frequently on sale but then have shedloads of DLC.

derExperte

So Drakensang : River of time is -50%.

Do you think I would like the game If Baldurs Gate and Dragon Age Origins are among my all-time favourites?

How's the plot and mechanics etc?

It's very old-school but not too difficult to get into. If you want there are lots of numbers to fiddle around with as it's based on a tabletop system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye). Or ignore all that stuff. The story takes place before the first Drakensang and is smaller in scope which I thought was nice, no need to rescue the world every week. It's certainly not the most exciting game but every time someone mentions it I feel the urge to start a replay. And then I remember that the game has only English and not the original language on Steam because of rights issues.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm fairly certain that the DLC included with Agarest was originally advertised as a pre-purchase incentive. Although nice, it's bit of a slap to the face of those who pre-ordered to keep the DLC as part of the default package.

Edit: Yeah, here we go:

Derrick01

Banned
Since it's farming sim day and I'm in a good mood I decided to buy Remember Me. Hopefully it's not quite as bad as it seemed to be. I'll settle for mediocre at this point.

dani_dc

I have already expressed my disdain for controllers. I don't care to get "good" with them as they are inaccurate input methods I use very rarely. The issue I'm having is of course with a game being designed around a controller that doe not have enough buttons. This is the case with all games that have the issue of one button doing upwards of four actions.

This is the part I was frustrated with.

Edit: Seems trivial in coop. These guys are really bad

Edit2: Wow. They actually die like 7 times in that and still fail in the end. Solo you get exactly one health bar to do the entire thing and I still made it further than them.

I actually think a lot of the frustration is the skeleton costume I guess. I put it on very early in the game and never took it off, it disables healing from the health orbs enemies drop..

Not only do I disagree with your view on gamepads (I feel they are better for quite a few genres, and inferior for others), I see nothing wrong with having directional variations of the same move being assigned to the same buttons, as long as it's logical (and in this case I believe it is).
Well we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yeah, I've done that part though not with the Skeleton costume, good thing you didn't try
the Challenges in "El Infierno"
, some of those are considerably harder than the chicken mines.

And yeah, doing that part with the Skeleton costume would be pretty damn annoying, there's even an acheivement for doing so. It's about the worst costume you can use in that section of the game.

As a sidenote (regarding something you said earlier), the game doesn't actually has a point of no-return, though it sounds like one, it's actually just a warning before the last dungeon.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, its individual, but we are actually a lot more alike than people like to think. I never said to use it as a sure-fire way to tell how good a game is, but better games do tend to get better scores. Use it as a general guide or suggestion, not as your sole determiner. Its just as ridiculous to say that review scores mean nothing as it is to say they mean everything.
But they do mean nothing. A score is an arbitrary number, which doesn't say anything meaningful. The useful information is in the content of the review, which expresses the opinion of the person reviewing the game. Even if you don't agree with them, a good review will make you know more about the game, at least much more than a random number would.

derFeef

I really need to replay this on PC as a whole, looks great.

9080205248_fae6d4da63_h.jpg

11646578774_c7caeafce0_h.jpg

11646658014_7418f08dea_h.jpg

11646567463_c8fb67bdcc_h.jpg

JaseC

I'd buy Half-Life 3 even at +75%.

Putting that up against two moderately-known but heavily-discounted titles would actually make for an interesting social experiment given how the Community's Choice polls have panned out for the most part thus far.

Dr Dogg

Crikey I've had a week away and I've missed about an entire thread. Sod looking back 400 odd pages. And I thought these sales were meant to be awful ;)

Though I will say one thing, it seams to have had the theme of Dogg vs The Unreal Engine.

Every bloody game I've bought has required some sort of faffing. From Enslaved hard coded resolutions and funky shadows to Alice's 31fps cap, The Bureau's dx9 vsync flickering with some options as well huge performance drops under dx11 (though surprisingly the game is quite the looker and quiet fun, gameplay wise) and even Blacklist got in on the act by not playing nice with 30hz refresh rates. To top it all I've just bought and in the process of downloading Remember Me, which is another bloody Unreal Engine game.

Ah well fun and games. Hope everybody had a good Christmas.

Colin.

I'm fairly certain that the DLC included with Agarest was originally advertised as a pre-purchase incentive. Although nice, it's bit of a slap to the face of those who pre-ordered to keep the DLC as part of the default package.

Edit: Yeah, here we go:

And from what I gather, this DLC is nothing more than a cash grab, to speed up the game and make it easier. Plus, it isn't a good game to begin with. I hope some more worthwhile JRPG's make it to Steam. It is still very much an untapped market on PC.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Remeber Me's screenshots never cease to amaze, that game has some amazing art-direction.
Too bad about the film-grain, though. :/

Garcia

Reached day 21 in Don't Starve and got killed by a pack of hound dogs, lol.

I find the lack of speed progression for gathering resources quite annoying. I actually had to turn on cheat engine's speedhack and ramp it to 3.0 during the wood chopping and berry/stick harvests. I also speed up the game x3 when I'm travelling back to my base. It's small details like those which can turn something challenging into a tedious chore.

If it wasn't for cheat engine I wouldn't be having so much fun. I hope the creator of the game decides to add a speed-up or level-up system just for that.

It's my 8th try and I reached winter. Random penguins everywhere!

Raydeen

Remember Me
Resident Evil 6
Brothers - A tale of Two Sons
Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams
Tomb Raider
Trine 2
Max Payne 3

All for less then the price of a PS4 game.

(self satisfied chuckle)

Garcia

I reset my password, is there any way to get rid of this lockdown s.t. I can sell cards again? Could I still buy games if I bought a Steam wallet card?

You can still buy games but are now banned from selling any items from your inventory for 30 days. Great stuff huh? :/

BruteUA

Have at it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Don't Starve -- MB-905D81D002A0F2E3 - Taken by gnomed. 47 entrants total.

t1388423696z1.png

JaseC

Reached day 21 in Don't Starve and got killed by a pack of hound dogs, lol.

I find the lack of speed progression for gathering resources quite annoying. I actually had to turn on cheat engine's speedhack and ramp it to 3.0 during the wood chopping and berry/stick harvests. I also speed up the game x3 when I'm travelling back to my base. It's small details like those which can turn something challenging into a tedious chore.

If it wasn't for cheat engine I wouldn't be having so much fun. I hope the creator of the game decides to add a speed-up or level-up system just for that.

It's my 8th try and I reached winter. Random penguins everywhere!

Any classy penguins? :p

Myshkin

Even out your sets! Will trade globe for globe, any globes.
Just send me a trade proposal within Steam - ID is in my profile.

Current stock:

Cth

How the hell is L4D2 the sixth best-selling game on GMG?

Is GMG the one that's beta testing free money for getting achievements?

If so, L4D2 is one of those games.

I wonder if buying different country versions will allow you to get the achievement multiple times to get even more cash.

Cth

If I want to add funds to my wallet via Paypal, will I still have that market restriction thing?

Or is there a way to buy Steam codes online via Paypal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom