• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah whatever steam. fuck you. i mean at this point all there is to do about it is laugh. haha. i mean yeah it is funny so i shouldnt be losing it or anything. collecting cards since the beta. so many games idled. so many drops during sales. unpack every single booster pack, cause hey eventually one of these cards is going to have to be a foil right? its just so many cards without one that it just has to happen soon. its a mathematical certainty right?

rrs

Any opinions on Grid? Not the sequel, the first. I like racing games that are more arcadey, how's this one feel?

I liked it a lot, but it's not arcade racing at all: more like a in-between with assists on.

Yeah whatever steam. fuck you. i mean at this point all there is to do about it is laugh. haha. i mean yeah it is funny so i shouldnt be losing it or anything. collecting cards since the beta. so many games idled. so many drops during sales. unpack every single booster pack, cause hey eventually one of these cards is going to have to be a foil right? its just so many cards without one that it just has to happen soon. its a mathematical certainty right?

Yes, but it's also a gambler's fallacy thinking your odds increase.

Prophane33

Have you EVER had a foil?

Sometimes I get a foil from two game in a row, sometimes it takes 4 games, sometimes 10. It's purely random, but I've had pretty good luck with it.

If you've NEVER had a foil, that's some pretty shitty luck. If it's just been awhile, that's pretty normal.

Coppanuva

Have you EVER had a foil?

Sometimes I get a foil from two game in a row, sometimes it takes 4 games, sometimes 10. It's purely random, but I've had pretty good luck with it.

If you've NEVER had a foil, that's some pretty shitty luck. If it's just been awhile, that's pretty normal.

Foils are supposed to be that common?! I've still never found even 1.

Yeah where's all the foils I'm entitled to Stearn? I've only gotten, like, two. I think you're going overboard with the rarity, I mean c'mon.

_hekk05

Banned
Reached day 21 in Don't Starve and got killed by a pack of hound dogs, lol.

I find the lack of speed progression for gathering resources quite annoying. I actually had to turn on cheat engine's speedhack and ramp it to 3.0 during the wood chopping and berry/stick harvests. I also speed up the game x3 when I'm travelling back to my base. It's small details like those which can turn something challenging into a tedious chore.

If it wasn't for cheat engine I wouldn't be having so much fun. I hope the creator of the game decides to add a speed-up or level-up system just for that.

It's my 8th try and I reached winter. Random penguins everywhere!

I don't find it any slow though. Obviously walking around and gathering items take time. Rather, attempt to save time.

Plant trees near your base so you don't have to move across the map. Have the foresight to make your base near important landmarks.

If you really want to get somewhere fast and you are going to head there regularly, just build roads. Hunt a walrus in winter and make a walking cane to walk even faster.

I wouldn't use cheats when chopping trees. It just takes away the majesty of the magical giant tree when you see it.

Nabs

I'd give you my foil drops if I could. They are a headache tbh.

Garcia

Any classy penguins? :p

Not yet :). It is quite amusing to watch a flock of penguins running and minding their own business.

I still haven't ventured into any caves and just learned there's underground ruins. It's just that I wanna keep perfecting my overworld survival skills. Such a great game!

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Not that I don't sympathize with your lack of foils, but...maybe you should let go a little.

The whole badges thing is just a light-hearted metagame, kind of like achievements. There's no point in getting so worked up about it. The only real benefit is raising your friends list cap. It isn't even P2W because there's no "win" condition...guess you could call it P2D. "Pay to decorate".

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
PgUPvgC.png

Done! Great game, even better than I expected after seeing it being hyped on GAF.

At first I was a bit worried about the Calaca achievements but after you memorize his moves he's a pushover. Easiest boss in the game too, especially on Hard.

It's fun to speedrun in the second playthrough on Hard since you know every nook and cranny of the areas. I did sidetrack to get some hearts and stamina pieces though. There’s a code to unlock Hard from the start but the challenge on Normal is very balanced and satisfying. The platforming doesn’t change regardless of the selected difficulty anyway, so I think it’s best to play on Hard after you 100% on Normal and become skilled with all the available moves.

Prophane33

Not that I don't sympathize with your lack of foils, but...maybe you should let go a little.

The whole badges thing is just a light-hearted metagame, kind of like achievements. There's no point in getting so worked up about it. The only real benefit is raising your friends list cap. It isn't even P2W because there's no "win" condition...guess you could call it P2D. "Pay to decorate".

It's all about selling them, not crafting useless badges. I pretty much subsidize most of my steam sale on card sales. Those deadly premonition and Cook Serve Delicious foils got me Risk of Rain yesterday.

Garcia

I don't find it any slow though. Obviously walking around and gathering items take time. Rather, attempt to save time.

Plant trees near your base so you don't have to move across the map. Have the foresight to make your base near important landmarks.

If you really want to get somewhere fast and you are going to head there regularly, just build roads. Hunt a walrus in winter and make a walking cane to walk even faster.

I wouldn't use cheats when chopping trees. It just takes away the majesty of the magical giant tree when you see it.

Oh no, I'm not actually "cheating" by adding extra resources into my bag. I only speed up the animations 3 times, so instead of taking me 5 to 6 seconds to chop a tree it just gets chopped in 1 or 2. It might sound silly but those extra seconds can make a big difference when you want to engage into a game of this nature.

Thank for the tips. I've also grown my own backyard berry/tree farm and before those dogs killed me I had already fertilized half of them.

During this playthrough I'll now focus on stablishing my base closer to some animals in order to get easy fertilizer.

Edit: I just learned about the small speed increase while you're walking on roads. It certainly helps and will give them a try.

Remember Me is pretty but it's a very shallow game. I guess the current price is about right if you're interested but I can't really recommend it.

The_Monk

Congrats Fuu ! That game is really hard for me, believe it or not. Platforming is by far the genre of games I'm worst at, I'm not saying that the game is hard but I'm just bad at them. :p

Also, Brazil?

_hekk05

Banned
During this playthrough I'll now focus on stablishing my base closer to some animals in order to get easy fertilizer.

Yeahhh..... Remember when I said not to make your base too near beefalos? You can try, of course. Enjoy mating season. Take a screenshot and then swear: never again.

XShagrath

Just finished up Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. What a beautiful little game. Only took about 3 hours or so to 100%, but it was wonderful throughout. Story was excellent, environments were gorgeous, emotions ran the gambit.

Garcia

Yeahhh..... Remember when I said not to make your base too near beefalos? You can try, of course. Enjoy mating season. Take a screenshot and then swear: never again.

I'll definitely take some screenshots. I think I'll be not so pleasantly surprised by what you're now telling me, lol ! Maybe not so close to them? Still, great game. That's the thing I like the most about PC gaming, how you can actually tweak a little bit here and there (with mods or apps like cheat engine) in order to fit into your own liking. Now that I'm speeding up the animations I have no more complaints.

_hekk05

Banned
I'll definitely take some screenshots. I think I'll be not so pleasantly surprised by what you're now telling me, lol ! Maybe not so close to them? Still, great game. That's the thing I like the most about PC gaming, how you can actually tweak a little bit here and there (with mods or apps like cheat engine) in order to fit into your own liking. Now that I'm speeding up the animations I have no more complaints.

You have to remember that they migrate across biomes sometimes. Seriously. I made that mistake. Never again.

Also does your clock move faster when you collect? Because you are only supposed to have a certain amount of time a day. If not, you really aren't trying not to starve.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Congrats Fuu ! That game is really hard for me, believe it or not. Platforming is by far the genre of games I'm worst at, I'm not saying that the game is hard but I'm just bad at them. :p

Also, Brazil?
Thanks! It's not super hard but some later areas do require skill, it's not Super Meat Boy hard but it can get challenging nonetheless. All in all it rarely felt cheap and was always rewarding. I like how after you do all the optional hard as nails platforming sections you get a game breaking skill (
flying in chicken form
), haha. And yep, I'm from Brazil. :)

batbeg

Does anybody recommend Euro Truck Simulator 2? I don't know why but it appeals to me... Is there any gamey structure to it? Or is it just enjoying driving along European scenery? Is it vast, pretty, or a pleasure to watch?

Colin.

Hmm, decision time. Do I want to sell my globe set? Or do I want to craft it for the very slim chance of getting a rare item?

Garcia

You have to remember that they migrate across biomes sometimes. Seriously. I made that mistake. Never again.

Also does your clock move faster when you collect? Because you are only supposed to have a certain amount of time a day. If not, you really aren't trying not to starve.

Yes it does. In fact the entire game speeds up. You can't selectively speed up certain aspects of the game, hence why it doesn't break it at all. The only thing I'm achieving through the use of cheat engine is to make the game much more engaging and focused on survival. I can't speed up the game at night or during exploration trips since I wouldn't be able to have proper reaction speeds.

Edit: Think of it as a "fast-forward" button in an emulator. You just press the button at specific times.

Bought and beat Gunpoint in just couple of hours. Really nice game, with some great mechanics. Would definitely buy a sequel or an expansion pack if it became available.

The combat system once you have it all opened up becomes much better.

I completed the game, it just didn't do anything for me. Neo Paris is pretty but in the second half of the game you spend all your time inside buildings so you can't even appreciate the view anymore.
Even after unlocking all the attacks it still felt too repeptitive to me. The memory remix scenes didn't live up to the hype either.
It's not a bad game but it's pretty average imo.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So who are the people that get put on manual blocklists?

People that have abused the system.

Does anybody recommend Euro Truck Simulator 2? I don't know why but it appeals to me... Is there any gamey structure to it? Or is it just enjoying driving along European scenery? Is it vast, pretty, or a pleasure to watch?

I do. You have the choice; do missions/deliveries or drive around aimlessly. It is relaxing and nice to drive around. You have day/night cycles too. The real fun for me started when I was able to take out a loan to buy my own business/trucks.

Jawmuncher

I completed the game, it just didn't do anything for me. Neo Paris is pretty but in the second half of the game you spend all your time inside buildings so you can't even appreciate the view anymore.
Even after unlocking all the attacks it still felt too repeptitive to me. The memory remix scenes didn't live up to the hype either.
It's not a bad game but it's pretty average imo.

Ahh ok.
Yeah can't say I exactly disagree with you. I liked it but it was a bit lacking.
Hopefully if the team does a sequel or new game they can learn from their mistakes.

header_292x136.jpg

Just finished Eryi's Action. Games is a ton of fun and I know a lot of you have it sitting your library from a bundle more than likely. You need to rectify that and actually play it.
It's a trapformer or what I like to call a troll game. Games pulls all kinds of wicked tricks while you play it so you just have to out think it back. Which to me makes the game all the more fun. It's actually fairly "easy" compared to what most people think of when it comes to these type of games. I had a smile on my face every time I got past a section or witnessed some truly messed up traps. It only took me about 4 hours to beat. If you like puzzle games (Which is what I would compare it more to than a platformer) do yourself a favor and check it out.

Anteater

hmm I unlocked more dialogues on this playthrough in LLTQ but I think I still missed some events that should've happened :/

It's kind of difficult to manipulate her mood for bonuses :lol

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Is anyone else confused by these "snow globes"? I have two of them(Payday 2, The Stanley Parable) and I have no idea what they do. I tried reading about them on Steam, but I'm still lost. I'm also new to Steam,

Anteater

The music stuff is kind of useless :/ I won the music tournament and that's it, don't think it was used for anything else other than some minor stuff.

maty

PgUPvgC.png

Done! Great game, even better than I expected after seeing it being hyped on GAF.

At first I was a bit worried about the Calaca achievements but after you memorize his moves he's a pushover. Easiest boss in the game too, especially on Hard.

It's fun to speedrun in the second playthrough on Hard since you know every nook and cranny of the areas. I did sidetrack to get some hearts and stamina pieces though. There’s a code to unlock Hard from the start but the challenge on Normal is very balanced and satisfying. The platforming doesn’t change regardless of the selected difficulty anyway, so I think it’s best to play on Hard after you 100% on Normal and become skilled with all the available moves.

Grats man, great game. I played directly on hard the first time. I didn't find it that difficult besides the bone to bone achievement. That took a while and was becoming really frustrating but I finally did it.

I might try to speedrun it in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom