• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrs

Guacamelee is fun but I have issue pulling off the ultimate combo at combo chicken's thing, just doing X+up, jump, B+up is a pain and using the analog stick on the 360 controller isn't helping.

How is "The Swapper"? It isn't one of the top sellers and hardly get any mentions at here but the metacritic score suggesting it as a good game.

Jawmuncher

Messed around for a bit in Legend of Dungeon.
Not bad especially at the price I bought it for. But yeah I can tell this is a game to play with friends as opposed to by yourself. Since you're basically just playing until death.

Garcia

Omg, this game, LOL.

Bad idea: Establishing your base in the middle of the woods. Lightning strikes = Instant forest fire. Awesome stuff! I didn't die, fortunately. =)

Benedict

morning guys. Nothing from the flashes for me, as I already own Agarest on psp (and nver touched) so as much as I want to support more jrpgs on steam, Im not double dipping until its 75% (maybe if it was Trials because that one is amazing)

Lets check GMG shall we...holy shit 10.000.000 on sale, its truly a Christmas Miracle (that shit is NEVER on sale on steam)

Any difference from the iOs version?

Bought Shoot Many Robots and Who's that Flying?1 on GMG. A bit disappointed they didn't have cards...

I just finished Act II of Kentucky Route Zero and...I STILL have no idea what the hell is going on or what I am doing. Surprised this is getting GOTY considerations. Not that it's bad, I just don't see it doing much special outside of its art style.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How is "The Swapper"? It isn't one of the top sellers and hardly get any mentions at here but the metacritic score suggesting it as a good game.

The few people who have played it here all seem to top-10-of-the-year level love it.

(I think this maybe suggests that the game launched at too high a price, doesn't have an immediate visual hook, and hasn't gone on sale enough deeply enough because normally those kind of games get some breakout buzz!)

Nabs

It's amazing, goty material for sure. A lot of us here have tried pushing it without being too pushy.

inky

L4D2 is one of the top selling games at the moment. I'd really like to know how the giveaway affected that.

Not exactly the same example, but plenty of developers have said that when their games get discounted to 75-80% on Steam, not only their revenue (not merely units sold, but net gain) increases exponentially, and the sales momentum carries over a few days after the deal is gone and it is back to regular price as well.

It probably has to do with a mentality of "what's hot now", regardless of the actual sale price. Looking at a lot of other people you know buying/playing that hot item pushes the rest over just to join in on the fun.

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
Question....

Anyone seen SpeedRunners cheaper anywhere else? I'm tempted to just pick it up now on steam, since its 50% off and I doubt it will be on a daily in the next 3 days.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Guacamelee is fun but I have issue pulling off the ultimate combo at combo chicken's thing, just doing X+up, jump, B+up is a pain
I found that there's a bit of luck to it because it depends on Poncho being in the right position while you pull the moves, and you can't let him touch the ground for long. Starting with him at his default position in the middle of the room usually helps but not always.

hohoXD123

The few people who have played it here all seem to top-10-of-the-year level love it.

(I think this maybe suggests that the game launched at too high a price, doesn't have an immediate visual hook, and hasn't gone on sale enough deeply enough because normally those kind of games get some breakout buzz!)

It's amazing, goty material for sure. A lot of us here have tried pushing it without being too pushy.

Now I'm tempted to get it. Was thinking of using card money to get Alan Wake when it goes on sale today but now I'm not sure if I should get Swapper instead...hmm

It's a fun and super atmospheric puzzler. Note that the puzzles ramp up in difficulty really quickly, I found myself getting stumped consistently right around the 2 hour mark.

Dec

Not only do I disagree with your view on gamepads (I feel they are better for quite a few genres, and inferior for others), I see nothing wrong with having directional variations of the same move being assigned to the same buttons, as long as it's logical (and in this case I believe it is).
Well we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yeah, I've done that part though not with the Skeleton costume, good thing you didn't try
the Challenges in "El Infierno"
, some of those are considerably harder than the chicken mines.

And yeah, doing that part with the Skeleton costume would be pretty damn annoying, there's even an acheivement for doing so. It's about the worst costume you can use in that section of the game.

As a sidenote (regarding something you said earlier), the game doesn't actually has a point of no-return, though it sounds like one, it's actually just a warning before the last dungeon.

Only reason it's hard is because of the skeleton outfit. Still not going to finish it.

And ya, I straight up don't like controllers. I will use them if a game uses mkb poorly, but I probably use a controller twice a year. It's more that I don't tend to enjoy the games controllers are good for, and use a wheel for racers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Nihilumbra looks pretty great, hope it wins. :)
Anyone got any impressions?

c0Zm1c

Since it's farming sim day and I'm in a good mood I decided to buy Remember Me. Hopefully it's not quite as bad as it seemed to be. I'll settle for mediocre at this point.
It should really be called Farming Virtual Playset. Don't get wrong, it can be an absorbing game and there's a business side to it, but I struggle to think of it as a proper simulator when so much of it is overly simplified (AS would have ripped it to pieces in this respect had it not been so glitchy and unstable). The same could be said about ETS2, but there's less to driving a truck than running an entire farm so it gets away with the shortcuts in its design.

The Ultimate Showdown

It's over! The End

Challenge #1
Game: Speedrunners
Time: Dec 30 - 8 PM GMT
t1388433600z0.png

#1: DunderHassan
#2: The_Super_Inframan
#3: Cth
#4: Spirit of Jazz

Reserve:
#1:

Challenge #2
Game: Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
Time: Dec 30 - 10 PM GMT
t1388440800z0.png

#2: awwyeahgurrl
#3: Stop It
#4: joe2187
#5: Smash88
#6: GK86
#7: Spirit of Jazz
#8: Kanokare
#9: derExperte
#10: Dambrosi

Reserve:
#1:

Challenge #3
Game: Speedrunners
Time: Dec 31 - 12 AM GMT
t1388448000z0.png

#2: Nabs
#3: ChaoticEko
#4: Kipp

Reserve:
#1:

Challenge #4
Game: Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
Time: Dec 31 - 1 AM GMT
t1388451600z0.png

#2: Canseesea
#3: Corrosivefrost
#4: Relax.MX
#5: The Red Wizard
#6: LuffyZoro
#7: drizzle
#8: Smash88
#9: Camel Master
#10: Rising_Hei

Reserve:
#1:

Continuous Challenge Head-to-Head
Game: Frozen Synapse - Dark Exterminator
Game: Divekick (one prize left)
Time: ASAP, one challenge each game and hour.

FS:

#1: BigAT (Loss) Youtube Link

DK:

#1: awwyeahgurrl (Win: 4 - 5) (Prize: Skullgirls)

Prizes: http://pastebin.com/iR1D6Eig

Great game. I think the only reason it didn't make my top 10 is it didn't quite capture my imagination like, say, Antichamber. But it's definitely worth playing, especially for five bucks.

Cth

In the running for GOTY for me.

Decent length, unique style, great animation/sound/story.

Puzzles are challenging without being impossible.

Came out a while back and it had a lot of positive feedback from GAF which is why you probably dont see much discussion about it at the moment.

Highly recommended either way.

I agree, but more specifically in regards to the bolded it has a very striking art style that is simply less notable in stills, and jumps out at you way more in motion.

It's a very good puzzle game, along the lines of Braid or Portal. It doesn't necessarily explain everything about itself, so there's some tinkering to be done, which can be frustrating - but rewarding. The sound design and music help to flesh out the already dense, foreboding atmosphere.

Highly recommended: I give it 4 swaps.

Agarest of War is on Steam? Wow, didn't know that. I would have probably bought it since it's on sale, but I only have $8 left and waiting for a good game to drop to $7.

Will definitely add it to the wishlist to keep track of it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So, is Deadlight really as bad as some have been saying, or is it worth the 2.39€?

its pretty, but its kinda bad. and im the guy that likes everything. I didnt finish it, stopped halfway through :/

Ezra2680

Does anybody recommend Euro Truck Simulator 2? I don't know why but it appeals to me... Is there any gamey structure to it? Or is it just enjoying driving along European scenery? Is it vast, pretty, or a pleasure to watch?

I would recommend it. You can chose to actually play the game and try and build your trucking empire, or you can just drive around and look at the nice scenery.

Rhaknar

Dammit GAF, why can't you give me a consensus on this? What am I supposed to do?!

:)

I dont know how short on cash you are. 2 euros and change is one of those "ill try anything, its less than a sandwitch" things for me.

also Jawmuncher, your name always sounds naughty when I glance at it, stupid filthy brain :(

BearPawB

Banned
Does anybody recommend Euro Truck Simulator 2? I don't know why but it appeals to me... Is there any gamey structure to it? Or is it just enjoying driving along European scenery? Is it vast, pretty, or a pleasure to watch?

I find it a calming game. I put on some weird Dutch radio, and hit the road.
Game has a lot of structure, but i haven't really gotten to it yet.

Is Euro Truck Simulator even fun without a racing wheel?

I imagine a wheel would be cool, but it is unneccesary, its not like you are turning that much.

_hekk05

Banned
Omg, this game, LOL.

Bad idea: Establishing your base in the middle of the woods. Lightning strikes = Instant forest fire. Awesome stuff! I didn't die, fortunately. =)

You can build a lightning rod for only a few gold (1 or 2 i forgot). It absorbs ligjtning strikes in the area, and when charged provides light, so you might not even need a fire.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Just as a friendly reminder, 12 hours to go for my giveaway of various Sonic The Hedgehog games;

Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Spinball, Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine aka Sonic Puyo Puyo, Sonic And All Stars Racing Transformed, Transformed's Outrun/Metal Sonic DLC, and Sonic Adventure 2 with it's DLC all up for grabs and you can enter for all of them if you want.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95234293&postcount=15702

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a pixel game about finding a teddy bear to play, thanks to the wonderful generosity of the kind friend who... wooandindeehoo, has helped make me appreciate this community so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom