• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezn0r

Guys, I think I fell in love with uPLay: it lets me download my games at my max ISP speed (~4,4 mb/s), while I can get only around 1,1mb/s on Steam. :(

that's pretty weird, i get much higher speeds on Steam. do you have your connection type set to something low in the settings, which may cap it? (not sure if it does)

FloatOn

I've been playing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow proper on PC (danke cheap sales, GMG I think) since my brief mingling with the PS3 build and though I want to like it this game is the total embodiment of molasses pacing and stretching upgrade/skill drops and basic gameplay over faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too long stretches of play. The game takes fucking forever to do anything. I'm at the end of the second chapter (I know, still early) but everything has felt like the worlds longest, dullest tutorial.

I just finished it yesterday and I mostly enjoyed my time. My only minor gripes was with the shadow of colossus clone bosses, some of the puzzles and just a couple of the platforming sections. The game is pretty slow going in the beginning but it does get better with each passing chapter. You will get 2 magic types by the end of chapter 2 I think that greatly enhance your combat options. The rest of the relics for traversal are spread pretty evenly through the game.

I'd say if you are still not feeling it after beating the first Lord of Shadow then I would probably hang it up after that. I will say though that the story was much better than what I was expecting it to be and the post credits scene has me so hyped for Lords of Shadow 2.

Guys, I think I fell in love with uPLay: it lets me download my games at my max ISP speed (~4,4 mb/s), while I can get only around 1,1mb/s on Steam. :(

masseffectwhatyvut505upb.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I was told it gets better around Chapter 5 and 6 :p

I intend to endure. I don't think it's a bad game, if a bit too much of a God of War clone so far. But yes. This is seriously some of the most unnecessary drawn out tutorialising and gameplay repetition for the sake of padding the adventure I've played in a long while. I feel that so far, for the kind of character action semi-but-not-really Metroidvania thing it has made two crucial mistakes in the pacing.

1) Not recognising the difference between fundamental skillset/ability upgrades, that the player expects and should have access to early, and equipment improvements that aim to surprise and expand your abilities. Getting a new piece of equipment that gives you a fresh new power is good. Making me fight a bunch of spiders over and over before unlocking them for use as mounts, then making me do that over and over before unlocking puzzles that use their attacks, with no real reason for those skills to be arbitrarily locked off, is really fucking dull. Instead of finding new equipment and going "oh cool! I can discover new stuff!" you end up feeling like the game has locked off a bunch of skills you can already do but can't until the game tutorialises them for you.

2) Stretching dull gameplay that is neither difficult nor stimulating over long stretches of level design. Like climbing/exploring. Wading through the fucking dead marshes or whatever. Repeating the same encounter variations. It's not like putting two swamp grabarm bubble pits in a row is harder than just having one; I can still press any button at the exact same repeated cue to get out without a scratch. A lot of this stuff just seems to be there to give you something to do and have you moving through locations but in almost all cases they could halve if not trim off two thirds of the actual level, combine it with following stages with similar cuts, and have much tighter and more interesting level pacing.

Then there's other issues like:
- Shit like paths and corpses hidden off screen and in difficult to see places not because of clever placement but because I have no power over the camera.
- Almost no consistency in level design platforming of what you can/cannot grapple, jump on, or over.
- Awful hitboxes that seem 30% larger than the already badly telegraphed enemy attacks.

There's something enduring about it. Probably the atmosphere, sense of scale, and soundtrack. The whole epic gothic fantasy vibe is neat. So I'll keep playing. But fuck.

Nabs

Nabs! sell me on Injustice, noone else seems to have it >_>

I hear the net code is shit but is the story mode as good as the MK one? I could play just that or against a RL friend and be happy with it (and I do know 1 dude with it here in town)

I haven't played much of story mode, but it does remind me a lot of MK. The port is nice and clean, but netcode is still shit. It's worth it if you're into story mode and have people to play with locally. Don't spend too much on it.

Shepard

Sacrilege ! Apologize to the Gaben !

Next we'll hear from you is how much you enjoy Origin.
The Gaben has failed me. :(
change your server on Steam, I get 8-9mbs (from 10max)

well maybe not during sales >_>
Already did, tried lots of other servers, and I always get the same download speed (sometimes it goes up to 1,6mb/s, but that's it)
that's pretty weird, i get much higher speeds on Steam. do you have your connection type set to something low in the settings, which may cap it? (not sure if it does)
No, it's set to "unlimited' speed, no caps.

steadfast

Looks like Rise of Venice is ~ $8 over at GMG after coupon. Anyone have any experience with it? Seems like more of a business/trading sim than a war-sim, which would potentially be right up my alley.

It's much like Patrician IV or Port Royale 3, if you played either one of those. Much more a trading sim than war game.

Derrick01

Banned
1 hour until farming simulator!

Is Euro Truck Simulator even fun without a racing wheel?

I've only used a 360 controller for it and it works fine, but you have to configure the controls yourself. I recommend a relatively new 360 controller though, I use an older one that has a loose left stick and the game's sensitivity is so high that my truck will drift left or right when the stick wobbles even a little.

Arthea

That's strange, I get usually not bad speeds on steam (not at sales time, no), about half of my max speed, everywhere else that I tried, I get less or about the same.

liezryou

I had a bad day yesterday with half assed ports/thoughtless inputs.

Nothing pisses me off more than no mouse pointer in menus - Remember Me.

I then went to inconsistent menu controls. Sometimes you can click to do stuff but in the very next menu you clicked to get to, click does nothing, it wants a keyboard input - Rocksmith 2014.

I then loaded Castlevania, saw the keyboard bindings. thought LOL, nope. Quit the game.

That's a record for me I think. Making it only as far as the title screen :p

You know... you could always get a controller, i hear they work wonders for 3rd person action games -_-' (for menus and otherwise :p).

Ezalc

Dunder's challenge is real interesting. Might jump on the Transformed races.

Anyway, why is Civ V dlc so expensive? Goddamn.

Nabs

Personally, I loved it. Gorgeous graphics, good voice acting, a stunning setting. I enjoyed the twist on fighting (allocating nodes for different effects, such as rebuilding health) and the memory remixes, which were a real stand-out idea.

Best of all, the game pulled me through right to the end, and unlike so many games, the ending was actually good. I played through it twice on 360 and plan to double-dip on a PC version at some point, backlog permitting.

Here's one of my posts from the Remember Me OT:

You need to hurry up and double dip. The PC port looks insane when downsampled a bit.

Starbound sale possible??

I wouldn't bet on it. I'm sure you can still find a cheap copy somewhere. 4-packs must be going on all over the place.

Arthea

I keep hoping that Castlevania LoS is not a GoW clone everyone says it is, because if that's true, I made worst purchase possible. :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I am now reminded I started Remember Me then stopped playing but wish I hadn't cos I kinda dug what was there.

I did have an issue with the dialogue though. The English dub seemed pretty bad, so I turned on the original French recording with subs, but UE3 scales the subs to whatever your resolution is, so at 1920x1080 the subs were pretty tiny text at the bottom of the screen.

If I could enlarge the text so it wasn't like I was reading a document every time there was talky talk I'd get back into it.

Arthea

Dunder's challenge is real interesting. Might jump on the Transformed races.

Anyway, why is Civ V dlc so expensive? Goddamn.

don't buy Civ5 dlcs! I fount out that it's much cheaper to upgrade buying a new version of a game with discount, now it would be Gold.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yo all my guys are hurt or tired and I got Infections all around my main base. I think im fucked guys lol

(talking about State of Decay)

At least my morale is maxed yay >_>

Zeknurn

yeah a Deadalic bundle which I skipped since I had everything else :(

Also Ubisoft never putting the Settlers games on sale annoys me (well I mean as a daily or something, more than the 50% it has)

not steam. Yes Im one of those people, lets not argue about it :)

Put me in the same camp. It has been ages since Settlers 7 had a good sale. It seems like there's a limited window after release of which Ubisoft has deeper discounts on its "less popular" franchises on Steam.

edit: They've lowered the base price now though. A 75% off sale would make it an instant buy.

c0Zm1c

I recommend a relatively new 360 controller though, I use an older one that has a loose left stick and the game's sensitivity is so high that my truck will drift left or right when the stick wobbles even a little.
You can fix that by adjusting the deadzone.

FloatOn

I keep hoping that Castlevania LoS is not a GoW clone everyone says it is, because if that's true, I made worst purchase possible. :(

The good thing for me was is that I've never played a God of War or Devil May Cry game.

If I did I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did. Even still, the game has a fantastic story and if the previews are to be believed Lords of Shadow 2 is going to be a much less linear affair with more in depth rpg options.

Shepard

It is not. Of course they have lots of similarities being in the same genre and all, but the pacing and the way you approach your battles are quite different.
I prefer GoW

Derrick01

Banned

It is for the most part. It's also the best god of war game since 2, and stands up to that game pretty damn well without the huge memorable setpiece moments that the god of war franchise relies on to stay in people's minds years later. Not for lack of trying though, those titan fights are pretty horrible.

I can't wait for the 2nd game. It's up near the top of my most anticipated list, in a year that's going to be stacked with wrpgs.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The good thing for me was is that I've never played a God of War or Devil May Cry game.

If I did I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did. Even still, the game has a fantastic story and if the previews are to be believed Lords of Shadow 2 is going to be a much less linear affair with more in depth rpg options.
Darksiders 2 more like it. Can be good unless it makes the same mistakes as DS2

It is for the most part. It's also the best god of war game since 2, and stands up to that game pretty damn well without the huge memorable setpiece moments that the god of war franchise relies on to stay in people's minds years later. Not for lack of trying though, those titan fights are pretty horrible.

I can't wait for the 2nd game. It's up near the top of my most anticipated list, in a year that's going to be stacked with wrpgs.

I'm still amazed by how much they rip off SOTC though, they are completely identical in terms of gameplay mechanics.

EatChildren

By the end of the second chapter it's really hard to argue Lords of Shadow is anything but an indisputable God of War clone with some of it's own fluff and ideas thrown on top for good measure alongside semi-trademark Castlevania thematic tropes like gothic architecture and mythology, and kinda-whips.

People seem to think that changes a bit as it goes on, but that's definitely what it is at the moment, right down to the QTE "mash X to brutalise" monster grapple finishers.

Lain

For some reason I keep debating if buying the Might and Magic Heroes VI: Complete Edition, but a quick look at the steam reviews seem to show a lot of negative ones.

vg260

Buying a sandwich is better use of time and money than Deadlight. It's not worth playing unless you got it part of a charity bundle or giveaway, imo. Not worth it as a standalone purchase. Look at how many people say it's meh/bad. Not many say it's really fun, inspiring, cool, etc. like a lot of other games here.

marrec

Banned
For some reason I keep debating if buying the Might and Magic Heroes VI: Complete Edition, but a quick look at the steam reviews seem to show a lot of negative ones.

I think a lot of those negative ones are based simply on the inclusion of Uplay. The Rock Paper Shotgun review I read had an overall positive view of it while deriding the extraneous crap that's included.

Seems like it's pretty much a no brainer for someone who likes that type of game. I mean, it's either HOMM or King's Bounty right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom