• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Metro: Last Light is a well constructed first person shooter reminiscent of Half-Life's chapter-based pacing and narrative/level continuity. It has a surprisingly diverse selection of levels and locations often with contextual gimmicks in the environment or encounters to diversify them more than just in visual identity. Standard enemy battles are generally well designed and quite fun, encounters often starting with a simplistic yet serviceable stealth system reliant on staying out of sight, taking out lights, and using melee/silenced weapons (though at times stealth can seem a little broken in your favour). Monster encounters are improved over 2033, but still feel a bit bullet spongy at times. The plot fails to live up to potential, the translation is odd, and the narrative itself constantly stumbles over itself and never really finds strong traction, but the environment art and show-don't-tell story telling is strong throughout. Many of the more interesting, richer survival-like mechanics of 2033 have been toned down for accessibility and gameyness (I know how vague that sounds), diminishing the tension of 2033's highs, but I don't feel it detracts from Last Light so much as results in a slightly different kind of game. The campaign itself is surprisingly long, like a proper "complete" single player linear shooter and not phoned in 3 - 4 hour junk, and is still one of the most technologically and artistically impressive games in the PC market. For anybody who likes Half-Life style pacing and campaign structure for linear first person shooters, a combination of human and monster encounters, with a distinct Eastern European visual, audio, and thematic identity throughout, I highly recommend Metro: Last Light, and though it does fumble with its premise, narrative, and design from time to time, it will still leave you with a good handful of very memorable setpieces and ideas.

Shadow Warrior is as I said the last time it was a flash/daily sale; starts slow but evolves into a legitimate run-and-gun shooter based on enjoyable gunplay, intuitive melee system with satisfying visual and damage feedback, and encounters based around enemies that use melee and moving projectile attacks that encourage player mastery of not just aiming but mobility and agility too. As it should. Great graphics, fun cheesy story, good shootbang videogame.

I can also recommend Tropico 4 as one of the strongest entries in the series. It's pretty familiar, but polished and dedicated to the franchise's cheeky dictator/political satire.

Ensirius

Thank You Gaf.

THANK YOU!

For recommending Dark Souls.

I love you

Only just defeated the first boss and this is already my game of the generation.

Just one thing. What attribute is best to develop? I'm on my first level up camp fire and I want to do this right.

An-Det

Episodes from Liberty City at £3.74 temping what do people think I already have the main game but felt it lacked a little magic.

Episodes is really good. Lost and Damned is pretty neat, but Gay Tony really stepped it up compared to the core game. Definitely worth that price.

Luthos

Doesn't Steam sometimes put games back up that were on sale in the beginning of the sale? Because I think I missed some that happened earlier.

Zia

Here are things:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Little Inferno -- MB-1C021B9C7EB202AC - Taken by StAidan
Solar 2 -- MB-E6CB6A3F88E3971C - Taken by _hekk05
Gemini Rue -- MB-7BA73C115405968D - Taken by tylergregg

maty

I just got my first foil drop from a game, Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack. Quickly went to check the market and while there are only 8 listings, the cheapest is $0.76 and the most expensive $1.32.

WHY??!!!! :'(

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Thank You Gaf.

THANK YOU!

I love you

Only just defeated the first boss and this is already my game of the generation.

Just one thing. What attribute is best to develop? I'm on my first level up camp fire and I want to do this right.

Ignore resistance that's all

Lain

kafiend posted some impressions yesterday that may be of interest to you if you're one of the people who has objections with always needing to be online to play a single-player game

Well, I managed to miss them yesterday, but now that I've read them I think I can wait future sales when the game might be even cheaper.
Thanks for pointing them to me.

Smash88

Banned
Other than the DRM for Anno are there any problems with the game itself.

I hate the DRM, but if the game is awesome, I can overlook it. I'm a big strategy fan and Simcity fan. Since Simcity was an utter let down (I did not purchase it due to the controversy), I'm hoping Anno 2070 scratches that itch.

Colin.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on Rising Storm? Wouldn't mind having another online FPS I can jump into. Only one I play right now is Global Offensive.

If you read the amazon rep's post he said it's only tentative and they haven't heard back from most of their publishers. It looks like EA is one of the few they've heard back from thus far.

But then it's not Amazon's 2013 Editor's Choice Games if they can't get the approval from the publishers. Editor's Choice only if they can get a discount?

Sullichin

Thank You Gaf.

THANK YOU!

I love you

Hit up the Dark Souls OT in community forum!
Don't worry about making a perfectly optimized build your first playthrough (you will play it again). But, resistance is useless so don't level that up.

Zushin

Thank You Gaf.

THANK YOU!

I love you

For a new player, prioritize Endurance and Vitality (no more than 40) whilst sprinkling a damage attribute (Stre/Dex) every few levels. Whether you get strength or dex depends on what weapon you end up using.

Edit: and yes, ignore resistance.

Dascu

Thank You Gaf.

THANK YOU!

I love you

Endurance and Vitality are pretty useful to raise you Stamina and Health. But don't be afraid to experiment and fool around, as long as you avoid Resistance.

antitrop

Thank You Gaf.

THANK YOU!

I love you

IT ONLY KEEPS GETTIN BETTER BRAH

zkylon

zkylewd
Thank You Gaf.

THANK YOU!

I love you

good man

endurance for teh stamina is a good stat to dump a bunch of points into, and you should try to early on decide if you wanna focus on dex or str weapons or magic/miracles and put a lot of points into that stat

for instance if you like katanas you'll want to have like 16 str for the base requirement and a lot of dex since katanas scale pretty well off dexterity.

Ensirius

Hit up the Dark Souls OT in community forum!
Don't worry about making a perfectly optimized build your first playthrough (you will play it again). But, resistance is useless so don't level that up.

Ignore resistance that's all

For a new player, prioritize Endurance and Vitality (no more than 40) whilst sprinkling a damage attribute (Stre/Dex) every few levels. Whether you get strength or dex depends on what weapon you end up using.

Edit: and yes, ignore resistance.

Endurance and Vitality are pretty useful to raise you Stamina and Health. But don't be afraid to experiment and fool around, as long as you avoid Resistance.

Vitality it is. Resistance shall be avoided. Thanks guys, I'm going back in after tweaking some DSFIX stuff

FloatOn

I don't want to derail sale talk too much but here is the deal. I'm sticking to my plan of playing Fallout 3 in January and New Vegas in February. I'm going to devote most of video game time to these in their respective month and hopefully I won't have to rush to feel like I've "finished" them.

That said, I kind of want a few games to lighten my mood since I think spending hours and hours in the wasteland could be potentially bum me out. So help me pick out a couple more cheery games on my backlog to give me some levity:

Trine 1 + 2
Might and Magic Clash of Heroes
Critter Crunch
Jet Set Radio
Skulls of the Shogun
Lego Lord of the Rings
Castle of Illusion

Tecl0n

Thank You Gaf.

THANK YOU!

I love you

You are just scraping the tip of the iceberg. Avoid resistance, don't put a single point in it. Otherwise see what weapons you like to use and level accordingly. Points in vit and end never hurt.

Minion101

Banned
ibtvStXIxn75cO.jpg

VoidZero

Banned
If I remember correctly GTA 4 requires GFWL, right? Has Rockstar said anything about removing GFWL?
Also Shadow Warrior is great, get it.

Derrick01

Banned
You did good, man.

I hope so. I can't make myself play more than an hour or two of 2033, and it runs like shit on my PC even though it came out before I built it and at the time it was really high end (I think a gtx 480 was the only gpu stronger than mine). So I hope this one is better optimized.

Kerbal could easily get away with being out of Early Access now. It's a stable game and has plenty of content (at least in a 'get out of it what you put into it' kind of way). It could do with tutorials to explain some of the more advanced things, but most it can be found on Youtube. Probably the best game I've picked up in this holiday sale.

Maybe so but I just can't justify another $10+ on an early access game when I already spent so much. I take a lot of pride in my no beta rule, the only exceptions I'll make is if the devs clarified it's feature complete already. I don't want to put time into a game, get bored of it, then find out the devs added 5 new features to the game when I was done with it. I like playing my games all at once in a complete form.

Zushin

Vitality it is. Resistance shall be avoided. Thanks guys, I'm going back in after tweaking some DSFIX stuff

No worries. Definitely try and keep your endurance up too. It's very important as you gain stamina from it, which dictates how much you can block/roll/dodge/run all that good stuff. And enjoy! It's truly a great game and you are only just getting started. Wish I could play for the first time again lol.

Sullichin

I hope so. I can't make myself play more than an hour or two of 2033, and it runs like shit on my PC even though it came out before I built it and at the time it was really high end (I think a gtx 480 was the only gpu stronger than mine). So I hope this one is better optimized.

Maybe so but I just can't justify another $10+ on an early access game when I already spent so much. I take a lot of pride in my no beta rule, the only exceptions I'll make is if the devs clarified it's feature complete already. I don't want to put time into a game, get bored of it, then find out the devs added 5 new features to the game when I was done with it. I like playing my games all at once in a complete form.

2033 runs like shit on my PC too, LL runs much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom