• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That Alan Wake deal is hot fire. Alan Wake, American Nightmare, and the Collector's Edition stuff for $1 more than the base sale? Yes, plz.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sort of off topic, but this is the crowd that would know. Is the dual shock 4 worth the full price just for PC gaming? I have a 360 pad now bit it needs to be replaced. So I'm either getting the ds4 or a new 360 pad.

Not yet. It doesn't work as flawlessly as the 360 pad. Though I say this as an OSX user. I was discussing this DS4 issue in the Steam chat yesterday.

It might work better on Windows. All I know is that I'm not going to buy a 360 controller now that I've used a DS4. This thing better get sorted out.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Asking again, might have been lost in the shuffle (or people dont know, in which case I apologize), Metro Season Pass worth it or is the main game enough? The description of the dlc packs sound like random missions which im not sure I care about outside the main narrative of the game

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just tried a couple of battles in Hammerfight, I don't fully grasp all that's on the screen yet but I sure am glad it works with a controller.

DasFool

Is Shadow Warrior worth 10 bucks? I could go for a mindless, 90's-style FPS right about now, but 10 dollars seems steep to just gamble on it.

If you played Hard Reset and enjoyed it, then you will like this one. The combat is SUPER FUCKIN PUMPED full of HOT DEMON EXPLODING ACTION and it's fun as hell using all the different weapons. I'd avoid going on a higher difficulty if you are not shooter savvy as it can get frustrating having 25 assholes fire bombs at you at the same time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fuck I want Kerbal Space Program so badly, someone give me a reason not to buy it. I've spent a lot already :/

...It's $15 would be my reason.

Want it, but not until it's $10. :(

antitrop

Is Shadow Warrior worth 10 bucks? I could go for a mindless, 90's-style FPS right about now, but 10 dollars seems steep to just gamble on it.
The shooting doesn't feel all that great, but the melee combat is spot on and it does have a level-design similar in feel to 90's FPS.

There's always Rise of the Triad, too.

Grief.exe

He only has a very preliminary list up for Amazon's January sale right now, but here is the FAQ.

Editor's Choice 2013 List
Like last year, any digital purchase will earn you a $5 promotional credit to spend in January on the Editor's Choice Best Games of 2013 list. We got some questions on this in yesterday's thread, so here's some answers.
Q: Do purchases under $5 receive credit?
A: Yes, any and all purchases in the digital game store before Dec. 31st will receive credit, regardless of price.
Q: How do I know how many credits I have?
A: Before Jan 3rd, keep count of your purchases, or look at purchase emails to find a total to expect. After Jan 3, you'll receive an email with all of your credits at once, it will tell you how many credits you have. You'll still need to keep count as you spend them.
Q: Can I redeem multiple credits on a single game?
A: No you will only be able to use one credit per purchase during the January Sale.
Q: Can I use a credit on a game that costs $5 or less? (Get the game for free?)
A: Yes, the credit will work on items that cost $5 or less, making them free.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Sort of off topic, but this is the crowd that would know. Is the dual shock 4 worth the full price just for PC gaming? I have a 360 pad now bit it needs to be replaced. So I'm either getting the ds4 or a new 360 pad.

if you wait, the xb1 controller might be the best of all of them, unless you want bt connectivity which is pretty convenient.

cicero

Anyone got a list of Amazon's 2013 Editor's Choice Games? I can't find it on their page. Whenever I click on the link I get an empty page.

Previously most of the titles haven't been known or visible on the page, and they have changed over the entire month of January.

Why does Metro LL have ranger mode as a DLC? Can't you just mod the HUD out? Seems kinda exploitative.

It also rebalances the game. Supplies are scarcer, you take/deal more damage. Charging for it sucks but I've heard good things about it so I dropped the $1.69 on it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Grief, theres Shadow Warrior on sale again since you fail at giveaways :(

Played 10 hours of it and I'm doing it on Insane mode, because that's how I roll with these old school FPS. Having a BLAST with this game. It has a great focus on melee combat but also remembers to keep firearms at hand. It's by the same dudes who made Hard Reset (and you can tell) but with a lot of the problems that one had fixed. Enemies are devious, they will roll and dodge your shots/slashes, they will get "possessed" and charge at you at insane speeds, you can literally dismember all of them. And I don't mean some silly ragdoll physics: you can chop them choppy chop. There is a reason why the game got the free Viscera Cleanup mod, heh.

Simply put: some bosses come as elite mooks later and you can use their heads as a massive laser-chain gun. Or you can smash the ground and lift 5 dudes and chop them mid-air. Or throw them back with a push spell. Or actually calm their rage so you can behead them with a massive katana 360º MLG PRO roll. Or you can fire an explosive arrow and detonate it on a flying enemy. Or light 'em up with a flamethrower. Or just use environmental damage and blow up some conveniently placed explosive somethings.

All while dashing at high speed like a madman. Wangtastic. 1000/100. GOTY.

You are actually rewarded for using variety in your carnage.

Oh, and the game starts with The Touch. And killer bunnies.

edit: Wang has an rpg-like progression where you purchase more powers, skills and weapon upgrades, it's kind of a step further of the idea already seen in Hard Reset with the upgrade terminals.

masterkajo

He only has a very preliminary list up for Amazon's January sale right now, but here is the FAQ.

Editor's Choice 2013 List
Like last year, any digital purchase will earn you a $5 promotional credit to spend in January on the Editor's Choice Best Games of 2013 list. We got some questions on this in yesterday's thread, so here's some answers.
Q: Do purchases under $5 receive credit?
A: Yes, any and all purchases in the digital game store before Dec. 31st will receive credit, regardless of price.
Q: How do I know how many credits I have?
A: Before Jan 3rd, keep count of your purchases, or look at purchase emails to find a total to expect. After Jan 3, you'll receive an email with all of your credits at once, it will tell you how many credits you have. You'll still need to keep count as you spend them.
Q: Can I redeem multiple credits on a single game?
A: No you will only be able to use one credit per purchase during the January Sale.
Q: Can I use a credit on a game that costs $5 or less? (Get the game for free?)
A: Yes, the credit will work on items that cost $5 or less, making them free.

Ah thanks. Guess we will have to wait a bit longer to get the full list then.

StAidan

I've added about 20 games to my library this sale and have about $18 remaining in my Steam wallet. Not sure how to allocate the rest, based on the assumption that nothing else on my wishlist seems likely to hit a daily deal at this point.

I really want Pac-Man, still feeling burned about that silly flash deal on it. Probably will just end up buying it at -33%.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Fuck I want Kerbal Space Program so badly, someone give me a reason not to buy it. I've spent a lot already :/

You will crash and burn numerous times, costing the fictional space program billions of pounds.

Also you can still find downloads out there of earlier Alpha version of the game. Less stuff than the game for sale on Steam, but will scratch the itch until a later date.
The demo is also free, and that gives plenty to do.

c0Zm1c

Fuck it I just bought Metro LL too. Farming sim being on sale put me in a good mood.

I'd stretch that mood to buy spacebase and kerbal, which both look intriguing, but I see they're still in early access. So I'll have to wait until they're out.

Kerbal could easily get away with being out of Early Access now. It's a stable game and has plenty of content (at least in a 'get out of it what you put into it' kind of way). It could do with tutorials to explain some of the more advanced things, but most it can be found on Youtube. Probably the best game I've picked up in this holiday sale.

The shooting doesn't feel all that great, but the melee combat is spot on and it does have a level-design similar in feel to 90's FPS.

There's always Rise of the Triad, too.

The shooting feels totally great once you upgrade them, better than the swordplay, best mixed.

Grief.exe

Grief, theres Shadow Warrior on sale again since you fail at giveaways :(

I haven't had time to play anything at all in the past week so I'm still pretty deep in the hole.
I'd love to have it, but I think I will wait.

thanks for the heads up Last Light is on my list when it hits <$10

the amazon January list is out?

The full list isn't out yet so I am assuming a lot there. Take that statement with a grain of salt.

cicero

Thanks for the list. Damn, that list isn't great, hope the rest of it is better

The Editor's Choice List has changed over the entire month for the past two years, I don't expect it will change this year. Tons of people bought multiple copies of Hotline Miami thinking the initial selection was going to be it, they were then left scrambling at the end of the month when numerous newer selections were added.

_hekk05

Banned
Went to check out the DS4 at the local Sony store. Its 87.90 in my currency. 1 US Dollar equals 1.27 Singapore Dollar

Bloody import and "perceived luxury" taxes

More than half of the Amazon's 2013 Editor's Choice Games are EA games? Weird

BF 2142? Really? I love the game but, 2013?

If you read the amazon rep's post he said it's only tentative and they haven't heard back from most of their publishers. It looks like EA is one of the few they've heard back from thus far.

denx

So what you are voting for guys? I kinda want to vote for AoE2 since I may (or may not) buy it at that price, but if you have other plans I'm all ears (or eyes, whatever).

Sullichin

It works great on Windows now, there is even touch pad support. There's a thread on here somewhere for it. Search for scpdriver.
I much prefer it to the 360 / PS3 pads. If you don't mind running a very small program when you start your PC and can deal with the button prompts in games being for 360, it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom