• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
Is any of the Metro: Last Light DLC worth it?

Faction pack is AMAZING.

It's basically where you are at a hub base, and are tasked to go out into the wasteland to find artifacts, and bring them back, all while toughing out the harsh weather and monsters. Like revisiting the "LIBRARY" from the first game. Librarians included.

nbraun80

is game dev tycoon any good?
or it is just a copy of game dev story?

Didn't play game dev story, but I bought the game on my surface and had fun with it. It was fun coming up with game names and picking good genre and game types to go together. The game ends after 30 years and gives you a score based on sales and such, you can keep playing past that, you just don't add to your leaderboard score. It gives incentive to replay because it gives you +.s and -'s on the types of games that work together as you go and that carries over to your new game. My only downsides are that the game can go a little too fast, it would be nice to split teams and make more games per year. Also the leaderboard was just local so you were only trying to beat yourself, would have been nice to have a friends or global leaderboard. All-in-all I put about 10-12 hours into and had fun.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Faction pack is AMAZING.

It's basically where you are at a hub base, and are tasked to go out into the wasteland to find artifacts, and bring them back, all while toughing out the harsh weather and monsters. Like revisiting the "LIBRARY" from the first game. Librarians included.

Season pass worth it?

is shadow warrior classic any good as far as old school fps goes ?
i played duke 3d megaton and it was all right, i found the game didn't age well though
on the other hand i still have tons of fun playing doom 1&2 (with and without brutal doom)

i might also pick up blood on GOG, i've never played it

Turfster

I'm considering GTA Complete pack, just for offline play. Includes GTA III and Vice City (which I've done already), San Andreas, GTA IV and Episodes from Liberty City (which I missed). Is this a good idea, or am I being daft? I guess I'd rather have it on the Xbox, but it'd be more expensive.

Wait, you've never played San Andreas? It's definitely worth it (and it works without stupid online DRM stuff. It does have Securom tho.)
IV and ELC will suffer from GFWL/R*SC shenanigans.

Deadbeat

Banned
is shadow warrior classic any good as far as old school fps goes ?
i played duke 3d megaton and it was all right, i found the game didn't age well though, on the other hand i still have fun playing doom 1&2 (with and without brutal doom)

i might also pick up blood on GOG, i've never played it
Shadow Warrior classic is free on steam so just try it. It seems alright but I only played the first level then got distracted by other things.

PaulLFC

Don't worry about attributes, just don't put any skills to resistance, it's useless. Endurance and vitality is always good for a beginner.

Another day of not buying anything. Dang, every day feels like that and I have already bought tons of shit.
Hahaha, this is exactly me. Feels like I've only bought the odd £3 game every day or two, added everything up before and across Steam, Amazon, GetGames, GMG and the Humble Store I've spent over £70 :(

legacyzero

Banned
Season pass worth it?

Not really. There is not meat there. Metro is my Game of the Year, but the DLC is very weak, Factions Pack exluded. The DLC in the game is really just playing the same missions in the game from another character perspective. Not really worth the time.

HOWEVER. 4A games is a great dev, they work in shitty conditions, and they make amazing games. So I gave them my money based on that. Take that as you will.

Ptaaty

snow globes...wtf...I finally got the set. Crafted...and got three items worth almost nothing.

Really? I guess there must be some random drops that are worth it?

PaulLFC

snow globes...wtf...I finally got the set. Crafted...and got three items worth almost nothing.

Really? I guess there must be some random drops that are worth it?
Yep I got a common Warframe item worth £0.08 :(

There's a small chance to get uncommon or even legendary items which would be worth more, but it's random.

I think they should have let you choose which game you wanted the item from - I wanted a Path of Exile item, I don't play Warframe. Oh well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not really. There is not meat there. Metro is my Game of the Year, but the DLC is very weak, Factions Pack exluded. The DLC in the game is really just playing the same missions in the game from another character perspective. Not really worth the time.

HOWEVER. 4A games is a great dev, they work in shitty conditions, and they make amazing games. So I gave them my money based on that. Take that as you will.

yeah that doesnt sound appealing at all. Think ill stick with the main game

Rhaknar

Dammit they really want me to get prison architect, I resisted the steam deal and now its on humble. Haha

I thought the same. theres a few games this sale that keep popping up multiple times everywhere taunting me. Prison is one, Injustice is another, and Last Light. I finally caved in on Last Ligh, im weak :(

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

There's a small chance to get uncommon or even legendary items which would be worth more, but it's random.

I think they should have let you choose which game you wanted the item from - I wanted a Path of Exile item, I don't play Warframe. Oh well.

The uncommon items aren't much better. I got one for Ragnarok Online and it's selling for 3 cents. Would have been happy with Warframe myself, at least I enjoy playing what little of that I've played. I have no interest in Ragnarok Online.

Link Man

Banned
So yeah, just saw the Humble Store Dailies.

Yikes.

$6.50 for Super Meat Boy? Why?

No discount on Starbound, and yet it's taking up a valuable slot?

Wasn't Overgrowth already featured as a Humble Store daily?

Rhaknar

why is everyone always away on missions in State of Decay? What missions, I didnt send them on any missions :( I need hommies to tackle these infestations damn it >_<

c0Zm1c

Hopefully it's the next euro truck, although admittedly the internet radio feature really helps make that game fun while on the road. I doubt the tractors have radios in them (or do they???).

There might be a radio mod for FS but it doesn't have anything like that built in. I used to have ScreamerRadio running in the background when I played 18 Wheels of Steel back in the day, so something like that could make up for the lack of a in-game radio.

Do it.....
At $9 for the game plus the Eastern European expansion, it's a no-brainer if you're at all interested. In fact, the surprise fun I got out of ETS2 is why I'm asking about Farming Simulator 2013--I want to recapture the nerd magic I found when I took a chance on a trucking sim.

can I play mp3 files inside the game, I would like to play some podcasts and I really liked how GTA IV let you choose your own station.

Gone Home is over in less than two hours, just knock it out of the way. I loved every moment of it. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about it.

I will second this opinion, went in knowing nothing and enjoyed the story tremendously. Took me 3 hours but I'm ocd about uncovering everything. As for the people looking for kerbal recommendations I can heartily recommend that as well but I will add a caveat. It is an early access game and not everything is in place or completely done. There are no missions and it's still really sandboxy, they have recently added a career but that's still fairly freeform and it's not tutorialised at all. In fact the entire game is slightly lacking in tutorials and as a result the barrier to entry can be rather steep, it's all fairly simple but it's also laden in jargon related to orbital mechanics which you may or may not know. There is a lot of community support however and youtube is brimming to the gills with videos that will teach you the ins and outs of launching rockets, getting into orbit and planning encounters, so it's not that big of an issue. And honestly the massive failures you experience for the first few hours are sort of magical - I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Beyond that if you're capable of self motivation or just enjoy building stuff which may or may not work you should be golden.

Cth

Tempted to participate in the SpeedRunner game since I've only managed to find one person to play with the entire time I've owned the game.

But the person I played against was a pro and it made it even less fun to play.

Alex

I wrote up a little bit on Steam for RE6, so I figured I would cross post it here for anyone who may be leaning on it like I did for various reasons and needs some advice on things, because I wish I had paid a little more attention to it prior;
--

This game is legitimately great if you're in it's targets.It knows what it is and it nails that so well: a big, dumb, cinematic console action game with a co-op lean.

I do not know what occurred in it post-release, with patches, tweaks, fixes, etc, but this game is hilarious and an absolute ball with someone else. Combat is very polished, the game offers a varied and highly satisfying selection of difficulties and there is a LOT of content on display here. I feel like they did a great job of catering to the RE5 addicts in this area especially.

I do enjoy classical Resident Evil, and this isn't it, this is a straight up corridor action game with a lot of co-op mechanics, good combat and a story that NEVER attempts to take itself seriously unlike the current landscape of overwrought "feels" titles. Between random bullshit from the wonderfully goofball enemies and the plot, you're likely to be laughing quite a lot with the right partner.

If you liked RE5, particularly in co-op, and you feel like you'd want that but faster, flashier, smoother and even goofier, then I suggest checking it out.

Radio

I decided to watch the GiantBomb Quick Look for Euro Truck Sim 2 even though I've already played it quite a bit, and I do not regret my decision.

N7cnZ7J.jpg

I don't think I've ever laughed harder while watching gaming videos.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
So yeah, just saw the Humble Store Dailies.

Yikes.
Haha, you could have probably just stopped your post there. "Yikes", indeed.

Starbound being featured but not discounted is one thing...but Super Meat Boy for $6.50 is kinda messed. The only people who are likely to pay that are the ones so new to PC gaming that they don't realize it's available for $3.75 or less somewhere on a monthly basis. :/

antitrop

Wait, EA still won't allow Crysis 3 on Steam? Eh fuck them then. Truly a shit company.

Yeah, it really fucks with my OCD. I have everything else in the franchise on Steam, and then 3 is just... kind of like, locked away in this program that I don't open unless I want to play Battlefield. Fuck Origin.

6ajG3cB.png

Rhaknar

oh Last Light has cards, cool :)

wish the last few days had leaked too so I have a idea what to expect money spending wise, want to pull the trigger on Injustice but not sure (actually have more friends with it in my friends list than expected, which is nice)

Hawkie

I've got the Turquoise Imp Mask for PoE. Hit me up on Steam if you want it (hawkie007).

Lain

He doesn't hate ModBot, in fact he would happily race against ModBot if he ever got a Steam Account and one of the games. Plus racing against others is fun. I had a blast and would do so again if I hadn't already won a game.

Not that everyone should do such a challenge, but it's nice to have variety for giveaways every now and then.

I'll add that given the broad choice in prizes between a list of so many nice games, the challenge/contest feels perfect.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Tempted to participate in the SpeedRunner game since I've only managed to find one person to play with the entire time I've owned the game.

But the person I played against was a pro and it made it even less fun to play.

I haven't played much Speedrunners at all and got mostly crushed when we raced yesterday waiting for Dunder's first Sonic giveaway, I had a blast still. You probably won't win if you don't know the courses, but you can at least have some fun and learn a bit from watching people after you drop out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom