• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cth

I haven't played much Speedrunners at all and got mostly crushed when we raced yesterday waiting for Dunder's first Sonic giveaway, I had a blast still. You probably won't win if you don't know the courses, but you can at least have some fun and learn a bit from watching people after you drop out.

Yeah, that's what I'm counting on.. just having some fun.. seems like a fun game if you can find people to play. Hopefully there'll be more players now based on all the people who bought it during the sale.

EDIT:
I guess it'd help if I re-installed it :D Hope it installs in time.

Yeah, that's what I'm counting on.. just having some fun.. seems like a fun game if you can find people to play. Hopefully there'll be more players now based on all the people who bought it during the sale.

Yeah it's a really fun game to play with friends, everyone should own it.

Arthea

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 is only £1.74 which is a fun game if you are new to it.
Already bought and play 2014, but that is tempting, and it takes forever to unlock everything in 2014. What to do, what to do

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think I'm going to buy Tomb Raider on Amazon for $8. Objections? I know I missed the $5 sale but I can't imagine it dropping that low again before a spring sale.

Where does one go to trade cards here? Is there a thread somewhere?

You can use the GAF Steam community chat or board.

Wok

How does Nihilumbra compare to Braid and LIMBO? Those are the parallels made in some of the blurb quotes on the game's Steam page.

It is closer to Braid than to Limbo: Nihilumbra is a puzzle game first. The art style and the music are not as good as what you would find in Braid. The pace of the game is a bit too slow as well.

Arthea

Pixeljunk Eden is a nice game, but it gets repetitive, doesn't it? I guess it's better in short sessions, like 30 minutes tops.

The_Monk

Some fellow GAFfers might remember that a couple of days ago I finished Aliens: Colonial Marines. This was a Marathon and I managed to finish the game. Here are my very small impressions:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94268317&postcount=3948

Today I finished Aliens VS Predator:

qfNuGxa.png

First of all, this game looks good. Really, for a 2010 game I must say I'm impressed. The is much more interesting story wise the Aliens: CM. You have 3 Separate stories in which you play as the Alien, the Predator and the Marine, respectively.

I started from the worst, the Alien Story. I say the worst because of the motion sickness. As you can imagine you can climb and walk on any surface. While this makes things interesting since you can go for a stealth approach the truth is, after awhile I was with so many nausea I had to stop every now and then. The fact that you can make sounds to grab the attention of the soldiers is a nice touch.

The Predator Story was my next one and it was my favorite from the 3. You are a "Young blood", a recently predator that was put on test and has now joined the high rank of predators. You can also distract the soldiers imitating the words that you learned from other soldiers (just like in the very first movies). Using thermal to seek soldiers sure gives you a great nostalgia from the first movies (almost 20 years ago?).

The Marine story can be seen as a simple FPS without anything new to it. You play as a rookie and if you ever forget who you are don't worry, they will remind you all the time that you are a Rookie. "Hey rookie!"

If you are a Aliens fan and you like their the movies, AVP is the game to chose if you are wondering between that and Aliens: CM. It's a much better game, with more variety and I dare to say it looks better.

For reference, here are the stats from both games, proving, I may be right:

WRYixpJ.png

VS

ipuW1N6.png

Those 13.000 players might proof that some people wanted a good Aliens game and again, nostalgia took the best of them. I truly hope they can one day deliver a good game with a nice, tense atmosphere that makes justice to the Aliens universe.

I have no idea what I'm going to play now, will need to do some digging on the Backlog and check some Steam sales too.

Rat Salad

Banned
Yeah, it really fucks with my OCD. I have everything else in the franchise on Steam, and then 3 is just... kind of like, locked away in this program that I don't open unless I want to play Battlefield. Fuck Origin.

6ajG3cB.png

Yeah I like my games all tucked under the Steam community also. Also,feeling abit cautious with all the EA hacking on PSN and XBox Live. Wonder if its happened to PC users also? I'm not so eager to touch the game's multiplayer game after hearing about those horror stories. God EA is such a mess.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I really hope Speedrunners picks up by the time early access ends. It's such a great game, it reminds me of Uniracers made better for reasons I can't really explain. And with the recent resurgence of small scale multiplayer focused indie games on PC that all have local multiplayer only, Speedrunners stands out as one that offers the same hilariously fun local racing with online play that's just as enjoyable.

I just want to shout from the rooftops about how good this game is every time I play it.

32-nodither.gif

can I play mp3 files inside the game, I would like to play some podcasts and I really liked how GTA IV let you choose your own station.

Yes, apparently you can--you just copy MP3s into a folder inside My Documents. I haven't messed about with that personally, so I can't tell you how well that works. You can also just have a music player like Winamp or iTunes playing in the background, if you prefer. It works about the same, since you don't really fiddle with the radio controls while you're driving.

This is what I'm wondering, I'm a huge fan of Euro Truck Simulator 2 and if it lives up to being as good as that game then I'll buy it straight away.

I'm curious about this too. GAF sold me on ETS2 and I fucking loved it, never thought I'd play a game like that ever but it was a blast.

Can GAF sell me on farming simulator? I'm really tempted to buy it and get my virtual crops on, how is it compared to ETS2?

Hopefully it's the next euro truck, although admittedly the internet radio feature really helps make that game fun while on the road. I doubt the tractors have radios in them (or do they???).

Okay, so I went looking for Farming Simulator 2013 reviews. A lot of them are actually for the CONSOLE versions of the game, which isn't necessarily helpful as I don't know if they downscaled the simulation to get it to work on 360/PS3. If they didn't, then there is cause for concern:

This is a farming game with no seasons. That's like having a flight simulator with no airports. There's weather, but no indication of how that affects your crops. It literally doesn't seem to matter what you sow, or when. Everything grows. Crop rotation? Pest control? Nope. None of that matters. As long as you put seeds in the ground, they'll grow perfectly and harvest without a problem. Just like real farming!

Once you start to slip down this rabbit hole of puddle-deep systems, the whole experience unravels. The game's economy is superfluous at best, and often downright broken. You can alter the speed of the game, so you don't have to wait around for crops to mature, but this means it's not only possible but downright essential to game the system, doing the laborious jobs at super-speed to minimise your expenses, then twisting the flow of time up again so you can plant and harvest entire fields in less than a day. Again, unless Doctor Who has taken to agriculture, there's nothing here to warrant the word "simulator".

Strangely, the IGN review of the PC version mentions none of these things. I've read other PC reviews from much smaller sites that do at least hint that weather is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect your crops at all.

That said, apparently FS2013 is built to support mods to a much greater extent than the other farming simulators. I don't know if any of them add stuff like seasons or different seeds in, but it might be worth a look.

Jesus, what am I doing with my life that I'm looking this stuff up?

Arthea

Nope, 2014 is the better game and much more than just a roster update. Though 2013 does have some interesting Multiplayer options, I doubt many people are still playing it.

Not many MtG fans between steamgaf, and I thought as you, that nobody plays 2013 most likely, but seeing how long unlocking takes in 2014, I doubt all moved and just bought unlocks. Not sure what to do now. To buy 2013, or stay with 2014.

Myshkin

Will trade globe for globe, any globes.
Just send me a trade proposal within Steam - ID is in my profile.

Current stock:

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Monk is correct, I actually liked AvP, quite a bit. CM I...suffered through :/

Pixeljunk Eden is a nice game, but it gets repetitive, doesn't it? I guess it's better in short sessions, like 30 minutes tops.

Yes and no. The basic premise stays the same throughout, and for the first couple of gardens not much changes besides the aesthetic. But later on, the game introduces weirder mechanics like (gameplay spoilers)
teleporters, jump pads, wind, gravity that changes direction and large rock formations.
I haven't touched the Encore gardens yet but I would expect more new stuff in those levels as well.

rrs

Farming sim thing seems like something that's fun because of how you can break it, not being a fun, relaxing game.

Yeah I like my games all tucked under the Steam community also. Also,feeling abit cautious with all the EA hacking on PSN and XBox Live. Wonder if its happened to PC users also? I'm not so eager to touch the game's multiplayer game after hearing about those horror stories. God EA is such a mess.

The hackers are looking for PSN/XBL accounts to drain mainly, PC only is safe more or less.

Tesseract

Banned
I really hope Speedrunners picks up by the time early access ends. It's such a great game, it reminds me of Uniracers made better for reasons I can't really explain. And with the recent resurgence of small scale multiplayer focused indie games on PC that all have local multiplayer only, Speedrunners stands out as one that offers the same hilariously fun local racing with online play that's just as enjoyable.

I just want to shout from the rooftops about how good this game is every time I play it.

32-nodither.gif

all right, ok. bought.

denx

Talking about AvP, the fact that AvP2 is not on Steam is killing me. >_< There seems to be a lot of licensing problems with old Monolith games.

marrec

Banned
Not many MtG fans between steamgaf, and I thought as you, that nobody plays 2013 most likely, but seeing how long unlocking takes in 2014, I doubt all moved and just bought unlocks. Not sure what to do now. To buy 2013, or stay with 2014.

Maybe there will be a resurgence of Multiplayer with 2013 after the sale, but unless you want to buy it just for Planechase then I'd probably skip it.

That reminds me, I need to play more DotP 2014.

And then be disappointed at how awesome it is... but how much more awesome it would be if it was proper Magic Online. :(

Damn you Hasbro.

Arthea

Yes and no. The basic premise stays the same throughout, and for the first couple of gardens not much changes besides the aesthetic. But later on, the game introduces weirder mechanics like (gameplay spoilers)
teleporters, jump pads, wind, gravity that changes direction and large rock formations.
I haven't touched the Encore gardens yet but I would expect more new stuff in those levels as well.

Oh that's good to know, I played through 5 gardens, although it's actually 3, 1.1, 1.2, 2 1and 2 and 3 and got bored, they do play very samey. Will play more other time.
Large rock formations are already appearing, actually

So I already own Red Orchestra 2 the deluxe edition, which I got for about €3.50 a year ago and never installed.

Anyway, I seem to have both 'Red Orchestra 2 Single Player' and 'Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 Multiplayer' in my games list. What does this mean for Rising Storm.

What exactly am I missing in that expansion that I don't currently have? And what do already I own from that expansion through my ownership of Red Orchestra 2?

Dr Dogg

Fuck it I just bought Metro LL too. Farming sim being on sale put me in a good mood.

I'd stretch that mood to buy spacebase and kerbal, which both look intriguing, but I see they're still in early access. So I'll have to wait until they're out.

You've really got a thing for simulation games. You better hope that Advanced Lawnmower Simulator doesn't get a laaaaate port, it will eat away at your life (though Hover Bovver was a better game)

Kerbal has been in beta for about 2 and a half years but is indistinguishable from the initial release. There is a demo which itself has quite a bit to mess about with. Go on, try it you're in a good mood.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Finally bought Mass Effect 1 on PC :D

The new year starts with one of the best RPGs of last generation :)

jyoung188

Okay, so I went looking for Farming Simulator 2013 reviews. A lot of them are actually for the CONSOLE versions of the game, which isn't necessarily helpful as I don't know if they downscaled the simulation to get it to work on 360/PS3. If they didn't, then there is cause for concern:

Strangely, the IGN review of the PC version mentions none of these things. I've read other PC reviews from much smaller sites that do at least hint that weather is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect your crops at all.

That said, apparently FS2013 is built to support mods to a much greater extent than the other farming simulators. I don't know if any of them add stuff like seasons or different seeds in, but it might be worth a look.

Jesus, what am I doing with my life that I'm looking this stuff up?

Thanks for looking into it, my backlog is big enough already. I really don't need to buy this, I was just hoping for another hidden gem like ETS2.

Are there any impressions from GAFers who have played it?

Unicorn

Some fellow GAFfers might remember that a couple of days ago I finished Aliens: Colonial Marines. This was a Marathon and I managed to finish the game. Here are my very small impressions:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94268317&postcount=3948

Today I finished Aliens VS Predator:

qfNuGxa.png

First of all, this game looks good. Really, for a 2010 game I must say I'm impressed. The is much more interesting story wise the Aliens: CM. You have 3 Separate stories in which you play as the Alien, the Predator and the Marine, respectively.

I started from the worst, the Alien Story. I say the worst because of the motion sickness. As you can imagine you can climb and walk on any surface. While this makes things interesting since you can go for a stealth approach the truth is, after awhile I was with so many nausea I had to stop every now and then. The fact that you can make sounds to grab the attention of the soldiers is a nice touch.

The Predator Story was my next one and it was my favorite from the 3. You are a "Young blood", a recently predator that was put on test and has now joined the high rank of predators. You can also distract the soldiers imitating the words that you learned from other soldiers (just like in the very first movies). Using thermal to seek soldiers sure gives you a great nostalgia from the first movies (almost 20 years ago?).

The Marine story can be seen as a simple FPS without anything new to it. You play as a rookie and if you ever forget who you are don't worry, they will remind you all the time that you are a Rookie. "Hey rookie!"

If you are a Aliens fan and you like their the movies, AVP is the game to chose if you are wondering between that and Aliens: CM. It's a much better game, with more variety and I dare to say it looks better.

For reference, here are the stats from both games, proving, I may be right:

WRYixpJ.png

VS

ipuW1N6.png

Those 13.000 players might proof that some people wanted a good Aliens game and again, nostalgia took the best of them. I truly hope they can one day deliver a good game with a nice, tense atmosphere that makes justice to the Aliens universe.

I have no idea what I'm going to play now, will need to do some digging on the Backlog and check some Steam sales too.

I can't remember if the PC version has a server browser or not, but we really need get a GAF group playing. I love AvP so much and it was so short-lived multiplayer wise.

Sajjaja

Anyone have an extra copy of Cook, Serve, Delicious from when it was 75% off? I'll Paypal pls.

Also, is it wrong that I'm not motivated to start Papers, Please? It's installed and staring at me, but I just can't bring myself to hit play.

Copons

Anyone have an extra copy of Cook, Serve, Delicious from when it was 75% off? I'll Paypal pls.

Also, is it wrong that I'm not motivated to start Papers, Please? It's installed and staring at me, but I just can't bring myself to hit play.

Oh don't worry, Papers Please and CSD are basically the same game. :D

Soooooooooooooo...I just made a small fortune selling foil snow globe whatsits. What should I waste it on GAF, Nihilumbra or Fallout: New Vegas?

So Risk of Rain is legit?

I could host a four-pack, if a few people want to grab it for a bit cheaper ($5.03 each).

1. PixyJunket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom