• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odrion

Banned
I'm sure he enjoys the money, otherwise it wouldn't be up for early access but I don't doubt he's hesitant to get it into the hands of the larger public considering the state of the game.
I don't think $30 for a popular IP is a "Scare away the public" price. If you really want it for be a thing only people willing to alpha-test it would buy, sell it for $100.

And you know I'm right because it's been the highest selling game throughout the Holiday sale.

I have a MacBook Air (2011) which have 4GB of RAM, 1.7GHz Intel Core i5 and a Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB.

I don't have a single Steam game though but is looking into the sales. Can my Air play games like The Stanley Parable, Gone Home, Antichamber, Amnesia and Papers, Please?

You'll be able to play Papers, Please. I don't know about the others. Also, Antichamber doesn't support OSX (yet).

zkylon

zkylewd
Will do. Still need to wrap my head around some story stuff.
I finished it in 10 hours which seems pretty short reading some impressions - I did not rush through it though and looked into every corner, love the eyecandy.

yea that ending is a bit much to swallow all at once but it's pretty cool.

the rapture dlc is pretty self contained so far, it references the main game a bit and kinda spoils the whole ending but it's mostly its own thing, with all the multiverse stuff layered about since that's what the bioshock games are about now :p

I really wish that if they do make a new bioshock game it's not about multiple universes and all that crap tho. it seems like a trick they can only pull off

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have a MacBook Air (2011) which have 4GB of RAM, 1.7GHz Intel Core i5 and a Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB.

I don't have a single Steam game though but is looking into the sales. Can my Air play games like The Stanley Parable, Gone Home, Antichamber, Amnesia and Papers, Please?

I have the exact same computer. I played Papers, Please on it just fine. I completed Gone Home on it with minimum settings. Worked OK and totally playable. I can't speak on the others. I debated Stanley Parable but skipped it for now.

I've never been a PC gamer but will be building a decent machine soon. Steam is awesome.

Tesseract

Banned
that nether feeling when you murder someone for their cheetos

x4ipNmA.gif

Grief.exe

Some other cool profile backgrounds I found while I was looking. Just some cool ones I found randomly, not anything definitive.

Steamworld Dig has a pretty cool level 5 profile badge. You actually get the same progression through the badges that you see in the game.

9f56b2e172011a9c6a25c9aa70053cdc6653454c.png

First things first, the worst of the profile backgrounds. disembodied heads anyone?

1280x800

Found one for Dusk Golem
Outlast
1280x800

And now for the coolest ones I could find
X: Rebirth
1280x800

Xcom
1280x800

SS2
1280x800

Trine 2
1280x800

Path of Exile
1280x800

Rogue Legacy
1280x800

DPFix
1280x800

Gone Home
1280x800

Swapper
1280x800

Anyone played Electronic Super Joy? Any thoughts?
Cool visuals, great music, crappy game.

You can play almost any other "hard" platformer and you'll be better off, in my opinion.

The first half of the game is okay(ish), then it devolves into everything being exact pixel jumps or microsecond timing.

Hawkie

I don't think $30 for a popular IP is a "Scare away the public" price. If you really want it for be a thing only people willing to alpha-test it would buy, sell it for $100.

And you know I'm right because it's been the highest selling game throughout the Holiday sale.

Not only that but with the best part of 500,000 sales of Arma2 as a result of the mod there are plenty of people willing to support Dean at $30 a pop and who know pretty much exactly what they are getting.

Spent my last 49 cents in steam wallet on Bad Rats. Should have bought New vegas DLC instead but I just had to know what this game was all about. I must know!

Installing Bad Rats now.
Wish me luck

you've got more balls than me, keep up the good fight soldier

KarmaCow

I don't think $30 for a popular IP is a "Scare away the public" price. If you really want it for be a thing only people willing to alpha-test it to play, sell it for $100.

Perhaps the price was a miscalculation or maybe Dean Hall is really playing the long con, but I wouldn't doubt that even at $100, it would be at the top of the sellers list because it's by revenue and DayZ is a phenomenon.

Perhaps the price was a miscalculation or maybe Dean Hall is really playing the long con, but I wouldn't doubt that even at $100, it would be at the top of the sellers list because it's by revenue and DayZ is a phenomenon.

Is anyone in this thread playing the alpha? How is it?

Been feeling miserable these past couple days, so not a lot of gaming going on.

Started RE:Revelations. Not feeling the shooting mechanics at all. Feels too much like Borderlands.

Got past where I quit the PS3 version of Lords of Shadow (end of chapter 2). The flying devils are damned annoying.

Sold pretty much all my cards btw. Don't really care about badges.

Someone didn't do the math on this "deal".

ER4Nhuw.png

I was considering getting GTA 3, but It's been several years since I played it so it probably hasn't aged well, and I hear it's bad on PC. Also, there don't seem to be many good mods for it, which is weird given the type of game it is.

I don't know if the intervening 15 years has made a difference (I know, for example, that SimCity 4 can have trouble with more modern computers because of weird technical quirks), but I played GTA3 on PC when it came out as well as Vice City and San Andreas. As far as I'm concerned, PC is the only way to play any of those games; I tried using a controller once upon a time on PS2 and it was shittastic.

Also, you can mod GTA3 on PC. I used to build cars for the game, it was super fun. So unless the game runs poorly now because GTA3 used some old, undocumented DirectX call that no longer exists or something similarly arcane, I think you'll be fine.

Radio

Is anyone in this thread playing the alpha? How is it?

It's pretty barebones at the moment, but it's entirely playable, and there are some nice improvements over the mod (inventory, character customization, zombie movement). There are still some major issues (very few zombies, zombies walk through walls, loot doesn't respawn, etc.), but it's a nice framework to begin adding in more and more over the next few months.

I think people should save their $30 for a few months, but it seems like it's on track to be the game so many people want it to be.

Arthea

backgrounds.pics

Challenge accepted!
mine is coolest, it's in my profile, also it's rare, well devs think it is, market thinks otherwise.

some are nice, and that sleepy doggies background is atrocity, I got it too! unfairness of it!

edited: I shouldn't have accepted this challenge, I don't see them in high res but like this :(

330x192

It's pretty barebones at the moment, but it's entirely playable, and there are some nice improvements over the mod (inventory, character customization, zombie movement). There are still some major issues (very few zombies, zombies walk through walls, loot doesn't respawn, etc.), but it's a nice framework to begin adding in more and more over the next few months.

I think people should save their $30 for a few months, but it seems like it's on track to be the game so many people want it to be.

Nice, thanks for the feedback. I'll probably jump in a few months down the line.

So is Risk of Rain worth the cash? It looks awesome but I feel like its going to be just another one of those games where I'll play it once for a couple of hours, have fun, and then never have an interest in touching it again.

Then again, if I got it I might go all out and get a four pack to give to some friends and do co-op, so that might be better

Grief.exe

I wish Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning would go on sale.

You and me both.

It did fail at auction, but, apparently, they are discussing the sale with some buyers. I'd imagine the buyer will want to keep the Steam version available as that one, potentially, could bring in the most revenue.

...Unless that buyer is EA.

Not enough jaggies.

I guess the models are just worse than I remember.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Some other cool profile backgrounds I found while I was looking. Just some cool ones I found randomly, not anything definitive.

Unfortunately not all of the good backgrounds I've found at first glance translate well to the profile. :( A few of my personal favorites not shown:

Demonicon:
1200x800

Monaco:
1200x800

Space Rangers HD:
1200x800

Ring Runner:
1200x800

Deadfall Adventures:
vnN9EIm0VJoKMY3RRrOebgY_t6HNxFra3v9ey6JV1sl3eErr0KgSiKrokS9g09DkCyquspiGGMLV8kPTo1bXznp8WavOoAGKq7XdKXmZzuNBefDgxNhFmImjDpjtQ5HIJiIP5ZH4Vt6v9JdwOZiSol199-iT00LS3a0Gy-5AxMg4f0rj

Pachimari

You'll be able to play Papers, Please. I don't know about the others. Also, Antichamber doesn't support OSX (yet).

I have the exact same computer. I played Papers, Please on it just fine. I completed Gone Home on it with minimum settings. Worked OK and totally playable. I can't speak on the others. I debated Stanley Parable but skipped it for now.

I've never been a PC gamer but will be building a decent machine soon. Steam is awesome.

Yeah. Papers, Please is the one game I'm buying from the sale. Unless, Age of Empire II HD is voted in for the next sale (for my Windows desktop).

I'll eventually build a Steam computer as well, and have dropped my plans of buying a Xbox One in the foreseeable future. These sales are crazy good (and cheap!) compared to console games here. :)

It is closer to Braid than to Limbo: Nihilumbra is a puzzle game first. The art style and the music are not as good as what you would find in Braid. The pace of the game is a bit too slow as well.

That's something I just can't agree with.

trying my best not to buy Risk of Rain while my PC is down
(currently on a MBP)

save me GAF

No. The only "saving" here is if you actually buy risk of rain. If it were coming to Vita, I suppose I could forgive you for not doing so (see: Rogue Legacy), but it's not. So buy it.

5am it's time to sleep. hope I can craft a little more badges to up a few more levels for more space on the friend list

Then you can watch even more of your friends buy games. :p

So is Risk of Rain worth the cash? It looks awesome but I feel like its going to be just another one of those games where I'll play it once for a couple of hours, have fun, and then never have an interest in touching it again.

Then again, if I got it I might go all out and get a four pack to give to some friends and do co-op, so that might be better

See the other 37 posts in this thread recommending it -- I hear setting up the online can be a bit of a pain, but I usually play single player and after about an hour of play, I already knew it was one of my favorite games of 2013.

Grief.exe

Unfortunately not all of the good backgrounds I've found at first glance translate well to the profile. :( A few of my personal favorites not shown:

Those are pretty awesome across the board Xel!

Please post names of the games if you're posting cool backgrounds.

Went back and edited the names in to the list I had.

The best profile backgrounds are the Hotline Miami ones.

Those ones were pretty cool.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Thanks to wooandindeedhoo, I got to experience Finding Teddy. A charming children's story point and click adventure of a musical tone nature all about finding a teddy bear and befriending various creatures. Though it can turn into a disturbing moment if you make several mistakes.

Not a challenging game, perhaps a few puzzles that can block your path until you figure out exactly which path to take before you can take one of the others, but all the puzzles are straight forward and obvious when you need to grab something on screen.

Talented artwork. Unlockable sketches and others are quite nice to look at and the pixel art for the backgrounds of each stage are solid quality. I enjoyed going through the game just to see it all honestly, but I'm an artist and buy art books for games I don't even like for the same reason.

If you need a short, simple, point and click adventure to play for an hour to two, you could do far worse than Finding Teddy. Just don't play with a small child the first time thorough, that would be a terrible mistake due to certain failure states in the game. A second play through or following a guide that tells you exactly what to do and what to avoid however does leave it as a perfectly good short story for a child to experience.
------------------------------------------------------------

Reminder, I have a Sonic The Hedgehog giveaway going with about seven hours left.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95234293&postcount=15702
Open to enter for all of them.

Sonic the Hedgehog Mega Drive
Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine aka Sonic Puyo Puyo
Sonic And All Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic And All Stars Racing Transformed Metal Sonic And Outrun DLC
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic Adventure 2 and Battlemode DLC
Sonic 3 And Knuckles
Sonic Spinball

aScaris

I heard there is something like a NeoGAF steam group. Since I will be spending loads of time with my purchases from this sale and my backlog in the near future it would be great if someone could give me an invite :)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aScaris/

Also I'm hesitating to pull the trigger on Risk of Rain.. I got some roguelikes like FTL, Binding of Isaac and Don't Starve in my backlog and don't know if it would be worth getting another one.. Is Risk of Rain really THAT good?

Btw, everyone should get La-Mulana, such a GREAT game and still 75% off (was 90% as a flash deal I think) ! :)

Edit: Wow, that was fast! :D Thanks!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this thread will be a ghost town tomorow night, gonna be here all alone (stupid work during new years) :(

Kentucky Route Zero, should I pick up the season pass? The leaked list doesn't show this as a daily, and I can wait until the end of the sale. Worth the asking price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom